Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you pay for a Create a World tool?

keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
It’s been almost 4 years and we’re still without a CAW tool, SimGuruDrake recently tweeted that there isn’t even one in the works, so what’s the problem? I’m sure the dev team is fully aware that the community has been asking since the base game, that players want to be able to build their own worlds, not having to rely on the slow release schedule of the official worlds, yet nothing has been done to give us that option.
I think a possible reason is that the investment of dev time and resources that it would take to create a custom world tool isn’t worth the very small percentage of players that would actually use it, especially if they can’t make any revenue from it, and obviously they can’t just give public access to whatever program they use to create their official worlds.

But what if they could make a profit? If they released a Create a World pack for let’s say... $10, and it included a tool to create as many custom worlds as you want, a short tutorial on how to use the tool, and access to infinite player-made worlds on the gallery, would you buy it?
Even if you had no interest in using the tool, you would be getting as many custom worlds as you could possibly need, and wouldn’t be restricted to the few worlds we have now/the limited number of worlds we have left.

Would infinite custom worlds be worth $10 for you?

Would you pay for a Create a World tool? 250 votes

Yes I would happily pay $10 for a Create a World tool and access to custom worlds
62%
ehaught58IngeJonesAzarinop2GRIMMYalexspoom13alan650111starrling33danacnbrettVibsesuitcaseKelleygirlAesir26AlrynnCorkysPetalsMaryVannKlthfRadioAChickenDJQ1308JestTruluthienrising 157 votes
No I would rather keep to the official worlds, I have no interest in making my own
21%
JaiSeaBillysim143Lomelindi7VkittyPlayerSinger2010robyngravesBagoas77g01denswanNeverSeemsToEndSjofnVuloriBriel2406Bon06kellzamikawagelelunicyRavager619Bettyboop55the_greenplumbobkristenleighwhite 53 votes
I wouldn’t use the tool, but I would buy it just for access to player-made worlds
16%
catmom1987IceyJaprilroseimhappyBrokenChaos69tegteg87simgirl1010Paigeisin5Magdaleenahaydub07loubylouloujen71KaeChan2089Jennyggnotasmokealarm09bixtersCAITLINX354TrimothLewanaM00nrhysbarrett8 40 votes

Comments

• LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    I can't vote. I'd like create a world tool but no way would I pay for it when it has been free in the previous sims.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Yes I would happily pay $10 for a Create a World tool and access to custom worlds
    I don’t feel I can vote. I would like create a world but there is no way in hell I would pay for it. That would be a low move even for EA.

Also I doubt it would be as simple as just downloading others worlds, for those that use cc and those that don’t there would be issues there not to mention potential issues with routing etc.

I’m sorry you feel that way, but I do politely disagree, they charged $20 for a single world on the sims 3 store, and people (myself included) gobbled those up like candy, so in my mind paying a single charge for access to thousands of community worlds, which many players argued were as good as the official store worlds in ts3 days, isn’t a crazy thing.

Maybe it’s just my desperation for more space to play in, but I would easily chose a one-off payment for as many worlds as I want, over $20 per world.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    No I would rather keep to the official worlds, I have no interest in making my own
    I don’t see the appeal of custom worlds at all. TS3 had a ton of custom worlds but most of them just looked like another Sunset Valley or another Bridgeport, since most players were simply making worlds using EA’s assets, as opposed to creating their own assets. The truly different, unique-looking TS3 worlds - like Midnight Hollow, Dragon Valley, Lunar Lakes - were all made by EA themselves.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I do not see a need for custom worlds. They could provide with another blank world like Newcrest for those that need more space. That world usually goes unused by myself, so I do not see myself using or building any player-created worlds. There is special/different coding that goes into each of the official worlds, so I understand why players can not create their own.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I doubt I'd use it I have a bare interest in building. I might use it if there was a pre-made selection available to us kind of like in Sims 2. Maybe we could change the background? Main textures. Place some greenery in normally inaccessible areas. Normally though I like things to be ready made for me so if it was some bare bone tool I might buy it later if I heard (with evidence) there was someone making worlds that looked great, worked and playtested well. I don't like to play test others work. Not fun.
    So my answer is I "might" buy it but not use it personally if that was the only way to access others work.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited April 2018
    I don’t feel I can vote. I would like create a world but there is no way in hell I would pay for it. That would be a low move even for EA.

Also I doubt it would be as simple as just downloading others worlds, for those that use cc and those that don’t there would be issues there not to mention potential issues with routing etc.

I’m sorry you feel that way, but I do politely disagree, they charged $20 for a single world on the sims 3 store, and people (myself included) gobbled those up like candy, so in my mind paying a single charge for access to thousands of community worlds, which many players argued were as good as the official store worlds in ts3 days, isn’t a crazy thing.

Maybe it’s just my desperation for more space to play in, but I would easily chose a one-off payment for as many worlds as I want, over $20 per world.

I agree the worlds could be expensive. I have all the worlds but thanks to sims points and birthdays I only paid for one world which was £15 and I think it was worth it as the world is unique.
    I wouldn’t pay for something we got for free (create a world) and our own map creators in previous games. No way.

Plus you asked if we would pay for a create a world, that’s a different question to would you pay for more worlds made by EA. Not really comparable.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    If I was playing the game more I would pay for it. As of right now I wouldn't.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited April 2018
    I would like to see this in game, but I wouldn't pay anything extra for it. This is a feature that should have been included in the base game.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The way these worlds were created, you won't be able to edit them, ever. If the devs can't backup and edit worlds why would you think they could create a simple tool to do that?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Maybe? I really don't have the time to do much with it myself, but if it was the only way to get access to others then I might consider it. Overall it's not something I care much for.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I can't vote because I would love a CAW tool but pfft to paying for it.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    I can't vote as I know the game itself does not use world builder so therefore one cannot have the CAW tool as that tool is a lesser copy of the tool in world builder Maya plug in that was used to make the Sims 3 games. That is like wanting a Sims City 4 world builder tool in the game that was used to make the Sims 2 worlds maps templates.

Sims 4 uses neither of those tools so makes no point in asking for it - in order to build our own Sims 4 maps we'd need to each have our own map building dev - don't think they can make a tool for that. They do not use just 1 tool like they did in the earlier games or a specific world building program - there is free hand and a variety of tools used and additional programming specific to each world that we cannot duplicate (besides I am definitely not a C# or C++ programmer with just machine basic and dos knowledge in my background) - it is done individually - and based on the multi design is not even easily put into the game. Apparently the design itself does not support the users ability to add in anything more then they already allow. Look how difficult it is to even do anything outside of pre-designated lots even. So no - I cannot vote on a concept that is not possible no matter how badly I miss the creativity of using my own designs and builds in a map - especially some of the work many of my dear super talented friends like Ehaught and Rflong and others have done - I'd say there is no answer here that is chose-able as it does not at exist.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I wouldn’t use the tool, but I would buy it just for access to player-made worlds
    They could create a bunch of assets for world building specifically, add a few items like rocks, backdrops, signs, trees, any objects, actual terrain tools, whatever- and also include the option to import our own assets. They could let us import an image for the map and place lots on there and determine neighborhoods; then let us customize each little neighborhood by themselves.

That is, if they want the player-made worlds to function somewhat like official ones -- just adding a worldbuilder tool with terrain tools, objects, road and lot placement would be nice too. But that would probably deviate too much.

Honestly I'd just love to have more worlds to play with, player-made or not. And waiting for official ones takes literally forever.

TS3 had multiple nice Store worlds, why can't they release a bunch of random worlds for TS4 too? In addition to EPs, GPs and SPs, they could create WPs; World Packs. They'd be like stuff packs, but with nice worlds, which may include some new stuff in them. I'd gladly buy those.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • horror_obsessedhorror_obsessed Posts: 21 Member
    I think a create a world tool would be so nice! However as of right now I am completely fine with New Crest.
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hell no.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    They could create a bunch of assets for world building specifically, add a few items like rocks, backdrops, signs, trees, any objects, actual terrain tools, whatever- and also include the option to import our own assets. They could let us import an image for the map and place lots on there and determine neighborhoods; then let us customize each little neighborhood by themselves.

That is, if they want the player-made worlds to function somewhat like official ones -- just adding a worldbuilder tool with terrain tools, objects, road and lot placement would be nice too. But that would probably deviate too much.

Honestly I'd just love to have more worlds to play with, player-made or not. And waiting for official ones takes literally forever.

TS3 had multiple nice Store worlds, why can't they release a bunch of random worlds for TS4 too? In addition to EPs, GPs and SPs, they could create WPs; World Packs. They'd be like stuff packs, but with nice worlds, which may include some new stuff in them. I'd gladly buy those.

Not actually as this game has an issue with even the devs making alterations of the original maps - and requires new coding in order to not break saves. So that idea doesn't work in this game. I believe this smart technology game engine does not adapt to changes without also adding new code. We have no full access to code even if we are capable of doing code. In other words placement changes are not acceptable of this software apparently. It won't even allow the simple off on use of toggles that were not in the base game at the start - so editing the off lot hood is out of the question when the game eventually errors when one does so.

I just can't see any of that possible with this rather unique game engine no matter how badly I wish it wasn't the way it is.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    nope. maybe if we could share custom worlds on the gallery? but i doubt that will ever happen
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Hmmm... I dunno... I think a big part of the attraction of new packs is new worlds. And why would EA release the ability to make your own worlds when you'll pay over and over for their custom worlds?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Hmmm... I dunno... I think a big part of the attraction of new packs is new worlds. And why would EA release the ability to make your own worlds when you'll pay over and over for their custom worlds?

i think like that too. but if this would be the case then why dont they release more worlds for us?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018

You disagree so you didn’t even add the option for others to choose?
    (I think it’s not even possible by the way, a tool like that for Sims 4)

I’d want an option to at least being able to edit a world, not interested in CAW myself. I definitely wouldn’t pay for it though. I paid for Sims 3 worlds because they were worth it as a product, not the same thing as a tool.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Pay for it?
    Only would worth if a tool out of the game and you can place worlds at TS4 or directly upload to internet (no restricted to EA services)
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I would be happy to pay for such a tool. But it won't every happen.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    I would, but it was free for The Sims 3, and due to the way worlds are made in The Sims 4 it would be underwhelming.(I kind of like my worlds better than the official ones...)
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    peach1red wrote: »
    I would, but it was free for The Sims 3, and due to the way worlds are made in The Sims 4 it would be underwhelming.(I kind of like my worlds better than the official ones...)

At TS3 it was from start, yes?

PD: I only had TS3 since heard rumors of TS4 development