Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 Endgame?

Comments

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Yes
    I don't know. I don't know what direction this company is headed, and frankly they'd better let us know.

As if (to the bolded part).

I'm hoping the next one is a full on official reboot, personally. Just 'Sims' or 'The Sims' or 'Sims 2020' or whatever. Just so long as it's clearly marketed as a full on reboot. Cut the ties and keep the basics. A refresh would do this franchise good.

Not that I want, but I agree. The Reason that TS4 was such a controversy was because of its title and implied as a main series. Should have marketed as a standalone game. If a similar design of a game is coming (which is unforrtunate), they better not call it FIVE.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm hoping the next one is a full on official reboot, personally. Just 'Sims' or 'The Sims' or 'Sims 2020' or whatever. Just so long as it's clearly marketed as a full on reboot. Cut the ties and keep the basics. A refresh would do this franchise good.

There isn't a next one.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Yes
    Phones are fast becoming a mini PC and not to many want this huge thing sitting in there living room when they can have something that goes in there pocket. Sadly the Sims are headed the same as vinyl records.

The great irony is that mobile phone games look like the came out during the era of vinyl records. I guess it's consoles that are killing the pc market. But if Sims 4 is the way they planned on heading with it's reduction in quality and quantity it's probably better that Sims PC ends on this sour note.

Well, there is hope that EA might read something like this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/vinyl-demand-lps-record-store-day-a7952911.html
    Back in the groove: How vinyl rose from its sickbed to capture the eyes and ears of millennials
  • MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    Yes
    202 votes with 62% saying it's over.
    i know of 2 sim gurus who spoke out saying its not over, one from console and one from mobile.
    zero word from PC team = zero consumer confidence, not a good sign.

sorry, but i have zero interest in mobile or console games, so its not them i want to hear from.
    and to be sure of that i unfollowed anyone not affiliated with the PC team. though at this point and at the past quality
    of the current game, i'm not sure if i'll believe anyone.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yes
    MiSFiT203 wrote: »
    202 votes with 62% saying it's over.
    i know of 2 sim gurus who spoke out saying its not over, one from console and one from mobile.
    zero word from PC team = zero consumer confidence, not a good sign.

sorry, but i have zero interest in mobile or console games, so its not them i want to hear from.
    and to be sure of that i unfollowed anyone not affiliated with the PC team. though at this point and at the past quality
    of the current game, i'm not sure if i'll believe anyone.

That just confirms that it's over.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The prime issue with EA is exactly what Steve Jobs said was the downfall of Xerox.

To summarize his great interview, you have these business individuals, sales, marketing, etc. who have ended up running EA/Maxis. The product people, the actual game developers that made EA games so great, were (and currently are) driven out in the interim. Now, EA Games is nothing more than these business people dictating what is happening, and what is funny is, it's barely working the way they had hoped. EA Games has no conception of what a good game is, and the excellent craftsmanship that EA/Maxis was once renowned for is gone.

That is why other franchises are excelling in content and player reception; the people running their companies are gamers at heart that know what makes a good game, and are not entirely out there for the money. It is a huge shame, but let's all be real here. Play The Sims 2 and then play The Sims 4. You can feel there is something missing -- and that is passion.

Thanks for that video. I think, for me, it explains the way the game has developed recently. It looks like Apple might go the same way now Jobs has gone. Even Microsoft has to watch out. Its' Edge Browser has finally forced me on to Chrome and Google.
  • lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Yes
    As much I hate to think it, Yes. I would love to be proven otherwise, but the way things are going. This more likely to be its last year :'(
  • EmmySimsEmmySims Posts: 65 Member
    Yes
    I honestly think they will stop making more games... But, I hope if they do they actually put more effort into the expansions, stuff packs, etc. All of the consumers have been very frustrated about content... Not good for EA
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited April 2018
    No
    Video games aren't going anywhere, and the Sims is one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time.

I think the community is eating up what it wants to hear from Sims news websites, but none of these websites has provided a credible source for any of its claims. The "former Sim Guru" on reddit is not a credible source. What information has that redditor provided that a disenchanted Simmer couldn't easily whip up? Sims VIP and Sims Community keep talking about their "sources", and the community is taking them at face value when they are all just sharing the same unverified story. Let's face it - if I created a reddit account and started posting as a "former Sim Guru" about how the franchise just hasn't been the same since TS2 and the team has no heart anymore, there are plenty of Simmers who would believe me because it just confirms what they expect to - and at this point for some people, want to - hear. But how many of them would believe me if I created an account from a "former Sim Guru" and started talking about how great it was to work on TS4 and how much passion we poured into the game?
  • Classy2018Classy2018 Posts: 10 New Member
    Not at all, there will be room for improvement and upgrade
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    Simburian wrote: »
    Phones are fast becoming a mini PC and not to many want this huge thing sitting in there living room when they can have something that goes in there pocket. Sadly the Sims are headed the same as vinyl records.

The great irony is that mobile phone games look like the came out during the era of vinyl records. I guess it's consoles that are killing the pc market. But if Sims 4 is the way they planned on heading with it's reduction in quality and quantity it's probably better that Sims PC ends on this sour note.

Well, there is hope that EA might read something like this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/vinyl-demand-lps-record-store-day-a7952911.html
    Back in the groove: How vinyl rose from its sickbed to capture the eyes and ears of millennials

Well we can hope but I don't think EA is interested in a niche market, they want where the real money is and unfortunately to them Sims is starting to look like a shellac gramophone record. they want to modernize it into the mobile version of a cassette tape...
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    Just when I am agreeing with @DeservedCriticism after all this time - he gets banned. He is the equivalent to Cassandra of Troy fame, never believed until the event happens!
  • peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    Yes
    I don't know. I don't know what direction this company is headed, and frankly they'd better let us know.

Not that I want, but I agree. The Reason that TS4 was such a controversy was because of its title and implied as a main series. Should have marketed as a standalone game. If a similar design of a game is coming (which is unforrtunate), they better not call it FIVE.

Please define what makes a Sims game part of the main series.
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    Even though I've been frustrated with Sims 4 since its beginning, I always wanted to hope that someday, somehow things would get better. But I've had a gut hunch for a while that things would eventually go the way of the SimCity franchise, which makes me really sad. I wanted to be optimistic and hope we'd hear something awesome at EAPlay but I think the news will be something a PC gamer like me (more of a storytelling dollhouser actually) just won't be interested in. To hear that they've let long term SimGurus go just cements to me that the end of the PC Sims franchise is on its way. I'm just really disappointed, especially that we don't have a good competitor. I guess I'll have to make sure that my current computer and any future build will play Sims 2 and Sims 3.
    Post edited by Cabelle1863 on
  • noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    Terra wrote: »
    Video games aren't going anywhere, and the Sims is one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time.

I think the community is eating up what it wants to hear from Sims news websites, but none of these websites has provided a credible source for any of its claims. The "former Sim Guru" on reddit is not a credible source. What information has that redditor provided that a disenchanted Simmer couldn't easily whip up? Sims VIP and Sims Community keep talking about their "sources", and the community is taking them at face value when they are all just sharing the same unverified story. Let's face it - if I created a reddit account and started posting as a "former Sim Guru" about how the franchise just hasn't been the same since TS2 and the team has no heart anymore, there are plenty of Simmers who would believe me because it just confirms what they expect to - and at this point for some people, want to - hear. But how many of them would believe me if I created an account from a "former Sim Guru" and started talking about how great it was to work on TS4 and how much passion we poured into the game?

I'm going to disagree....both Sims VIP and Sims Community have pretty good track records....and, I know that VIP is actually run by a responsible adult with a knack for discerning fact from fiction.
    As far as the franchise: anyone who's followed this franchise, this team, for any length of time would have surely become aware of a shift in focus, staffing , and quality. That isn't speculation, that's fact.
    I for one, do NOT " want to hear" that the team that created THE SIMS is being kicked to the curb by some corporate suit, who hasn't a clue about the history or tradition of the Sims.
    I don't " want to hear" that the franchise is being diminished for the sake of pushing mobile ( which they clearly are), to those with a limited attention span and an open wallet.
    Why spend money on creating a quality product, paying salaries, benefits & retirement funding to senior staff, when you can keep a revolving door of newbies, eager to get their first break in the field.
    Why worry about continuing the franchise, when in a few years a whole new group of teens will show up, who won't have a clue about the history of the Sims, but will be willing to spend mom and dads money on a mobile game.
    Do I hope that I'm wrong? yes.
    There's a saying " The writing is on the wall" . Sometimes it's a good idea to look at the wall.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    peach1red wrote: »

Sims 1 - essential elements modernized expanded upon and improvements made in Sims 2 - essential elements modernized expanded upon and improvements made in Sims 3 - essential elements removed partly modernized most things reduced and improvements in a single life stage Sims 4
    Yes
    peach1red wrote: »

Sims 1 - essential elements modernized expanded upon and improvements made in Sims 2 - essential elements modernized expanded upon and improvements made in Sims 3 - essential elements removed partly modernized most things reduced and improvements in a single life stage Sims 4

Exactly what I thought....

• JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Yes
    I think this is the last PC iteration that we'll see. Don't know what else is in store, but sadly I think The Sims 4 is the last we'll see.
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    Yes
    I voted yes going o n the assumption that you meant last of the "new" games. I think it should be with the EA team updating and improving it as needed. And it needs improvements there is no doubt. I refused to play it when it came out even though I did purchase it and the first few new things that came out, figuring at some point they would start to listen and do right by us. Granted there are many more things we can grouse about but if EA finally stops with the materialistic side and starts to think about the happiness side we should end up with a truly great game.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    Terra wrote: »
    I think the community is eating up what it wants to hear from Sims news websites, but none of these websites has provided a credible source for any of its claims.

This is pretty much the only thing that makes me skeptical about all this. The fact that the closest thing we have to a reliable source is someone on reddit claiming to be a former guru. That said, after the past four years we've had, combined with the fact that nobody has even tried to dispute these claims, I can't help but feel like it's still true. Not hopeful, mind you. Just slightly fearful.
  • 1ovemysims1ovemysims Posts: 57 Member
    Yes
    I flipped a coin, and yep it was.... a drum roll ....... a YES
    edited April 2018
    Yes
    I know that the things with people claiming their shifting their focus to mobile seem have not been brought up for a bit in this, but I thought about it and would like to point out that the popularity mobile games never last.

Also, out of curiousity I looked up the Sims VIP article being mentioned above. It even says that there's no way to confirm that the Reddit user was actually a Sim Guru.
    Post edited by peach1red on

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    No
    I didn't know about the layoffs when I voted.
    Also, this using a family portrait object to entice people to try the mobile game is rubbing me the wrong way.
    That is a feature people have been asking for and instead of just providing it, they are making simmers jump through hoops to get it.
    Maybe mobile is the future of The Sims and The Sims 4 will linger until it dies a natural death.

Not my future though. :p
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I don't know tbh. I feel like EA certainly doesn't care too much about it. I'm playing the new God of War (which is absolutely magnificent in every possible way) and watched the dev look up his own metacritic score, which went from 93 to 94 (and currently sits at 95) and he cried cause he was so nervous about how people would feel about this game. Especially cause they made quite a few changes to the original. And it just all works beautifully together. So he deserves 95. With the sims? I'm sure the devs care to some extent about their work but I just don't think they're working for a company that cares about the amount of heart and sweat you put into something and only cares about the money that comes out of it. Regardless of how mediocre it really is. I've played so many excellent games this year, that I haven't touched TS at all lately. And I don't miss it. Because it is still in no way exceptional. I would be excited about a TS5 if they were gonna make it a game that tops all the previous one, but if it's just gonna be another ride like 4? Well then ... I don't know. Maybe at this point in time, it should end :(
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    To add to my comment: it's not that I hate TS4 or that I don't want a TS5 but I'm ready for EA to pass the torch to someone else. Someone who allows the devs the time and budget to give us simmers not just another sims game, but an exceptional one.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top