Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Do You Do With Your Backup Saves Folder?

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
I have at least 139GB worth of saves (named saves) that I can go back to in terms of my "selfacy" that I'm currently writing - they range from when they started out in Sunset Valley all the way to their current location in Riverview. My entire HDD is 1TB in size (roughly 909GB of usable space). My Computer in Windows Explorer is telling me that I have used 349GB of my capacity (which includes all programs and files.

I'm sure that there are some players that have way more saves than I do. So my question is what do you do with all those saves. Do you buy a hard-drive and shunt all those unused backup save game files to them or do you just pick and choose which ones that you want to keep and delete the rest?

So how do you "save" those saves so that they don't clog up your hard-drive and still be able to go back to them if necessary? ;)

Yeah, technical question, I know. But there's more potential answers in GD. :D

Edit: Just changed my NRAAS Saver to prompt me once every 120min and I'll deal with the saves on a manual basis if I need to do it more often (like in a key event).

Guess I can start looking for a https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/seagate-seagate-stx-backup-plus-5tb-2-5-usb-3-0-portable-external-hard-drive-black-stdr5000100/10488341.aspx?icmp=Recos_HD_psll If my good health holds out, I can maybe get back to the park and shoot some more stuff. :D (photography...that is...).
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on

Comments

• Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Good Question, I need to know this too. I can't imagine how many saved files or folders I must have. I know I could delete some of them.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    My backup saves folder is only about 30 GB. It contains saves from 2015, when I started playing, to the present. I suppose I back up my saves less often than you do? (I do it every month or two.) I also back up option.ini files for different saves - that takes up very little space, it's just a pain to remember - and old screenshots. My backup screenshots folder is about 8.4 GB at the moment.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I have less than 20 GB of old saves. I tend to keep only the last 2-4 of my old games and periodically prune that. I have them stored on a secondary internal 2 TB drive. I keep screenshots, TS3 downloads, and other TS3 related files on that drive as well. My primary drive is a 512 GB SSD.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    All my saves are stored on a 2tb external drive. I'm terrible for keeping stuff, but I am always positive that the moment I delete something, I'll need it !
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    I keep mine in the wall safe, next to my tea cup and packets of biscuits. If anything happens to me or the rest of my apartment, I know that these crucial things will survive. :p

I really keep the most recent 40 or so saves on my local hard drive, but it's only a 350 GB partition. The rest, and they must be well over 200 GB by now, are on an roomy 2 TB external that I also already used for other misc. backup purposes.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2018
    I started out with a small 30GB flash drive I grabbed on sale to tie me over until I could get a good deal on an external drive.

Now I keep a handful of recent backups for each save file I have on a 2TB external hard drive. That's also where I keep archived store content, cc/mods, and other stuff.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I need to invest in a good external hard drive
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    I figure that with a good external hard-drive. 3GB can be used for my photography, and the other two GB can be used for Sims 3 game files and uh...CC? :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I save mine in an external hard drive and never play them again. :sigh:
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited April 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I save mine in an external hard drive and never play them again. :sigh:

I presume that will be the case with mine, but until I finish this 10 generation "selfacy" I'm going to keep it. :D ...and I'm definitely going to bin Brianna. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    I have them saved on a second drive and uploaded to cloud storage.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I also have a couple of saves stored in my drive, flashdrive and cloud storage, however, I don't keep too old saves anymore. I often delete the ones that don't appeal to me.

I prize my sims in the bin, as a matter of fact. A world can be played again, but some sims can't be rebuilt from zero. My main sims have heaps of copies.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Although I have a lot of saves, both on my laptop and an external drive, I long ago learned that for me the saves are not really so important. For me, sim files are precious. When I moved back to Australia a few years back I only took my CC, mods and sim files. I have sim files going back to when I started playing the game.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    I keep a couple of saves of every previous generation (20 atm) in Documents and on an external drive, and important families I also uploaded to MediaFire. Lol, I’m like igazor here: please save my kids, husband and the gecko first, but it’s a comforting thought my Sims beloved ones will be saved as well :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    I set up a special Sims' backup folder, so I wouldn't have to start from absolute scratch. Apparently, I have 77.4 GBs worth of saves.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've made 7zip compressed back ups of Electronic Arts folders and of SIms 3 folders combined with CC Magic folders.I store them on an external hard drive in case I lose my current folders with silly mostakes that corrupt the folder or a save goes bad.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg