Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Petit Breeze" Not Working Properly

So I got the outdoor fridge for my lot. Problem is, when I click on it, it only gives me the option to have a quick meal and to open it and look at the contents. Can't cook unless I click on the stove or something. Also, when I put food in there it spoils as quickly as if I'd left it out. Which probably means it isn't working or something. Its as if it isn't plugged in. Does it have to be against a wall of some kind? Does it have to be in a room or something? What is wrong with my fridge?

Comments

• pax1swpax1sw Posts: 654 Member
    edited April 2018
    So I got the outdoor fridge for my lot. Problem is, when I click on it, it only gives me the option to have a quick meal and to open it and look at the contents. Can't cook unless I click on the stove or something. Also, when I put food in there it spoils as quickly as if I'd left it out. Which probably means it isn't working or something. Its as if it isn't plugged in. Does it have to be against a wall of some kind? Does it have to be in a room or something? What is wrong with my fridge?

It's not the Petit Breeze, it's having more than one fridge on your lot that happens even if you have more than one full-sized fridge. If you check your main fridge you'll find the leftovers are spoiling almost immediately in it as well. The game should recognize each fridge as a separate container, but it doesn't, if you put something in one fridge it will show up in all the fridges on your lot no matter which fridge you put it in originally. For some reason this causes the leftovers in all your fridges to spoil. WHY having more than one fridge on your lot causes all the leftovers to spoil is a mystery to me, though. Seems more than one fridge on your lot transforms all of them into backpack-type containers and, of course, you know how fast food spoils in your backpack.

Bet there's a mod to fix that glitch, but I just work around it by not having more than one fridge on my lots. That's a real pain when you want an outside fridge for your B-B-Q area for convenience. As a result, I rarely have B-B-Q areas anywhere but right outside the kitchen (not always the most desirable place).

As far as the "click on it" problem, I'm clueless, but I think it's a separate issue from the food spoilage.
  • polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
    pax1sw wrote: »
    It's not the Petit Breeze, it's having more than one fridge on your lot that happens even if you have more than one full-sized fridge.

I have 6 fridges on my lot and I've never had the problems described by the OP. Maybe your game is just having the same glitch as op and needs to be fixed too? Maybe someone can help both of you out. I wish I could help myself but Idk.
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited April 2018
    Interesting comment above. I almost always have multiple refrigerators on the lot and have never experienced problems with food spoilage. In my game the food tends to spoil at the rate of the most expensive fridge. If I have the sub zero kelvin from the culinary career food never spoils (edit: no matter what other refrigerators I have on the lot). (They also all share the same inventory as noted above, which I often exploit in my games.) I don't know if this is a game bug that's fixed in one of my NRaas mods or not. (edit 2: nothing on the Overwatch revision notes. So, Idk either.)

As for issues clicking on the fridge to prepare meals - check that there are no seeds stored in your sim's inventory. That's known to cause problems using the fridge.

This is a shot in the dark: crinrict's blog details a bug with the Restoration Ritual which causes food to spoil.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
    polrbear wrote: »
    It's not the Petit Breeze, it's having more than one fridge on your lot that happens even if you have more than one full-sized fridge.

I have 6 fridges on my lot and I've never had the problems described by the OP. Maybe your game is just having the same glitch as op and needs to be fixed too? Maybe someone can help both of you out. I wish I could help myself but Idk.

You are KIDDING?! I've played for years on multiple PCs with many reinstalls (one complete from scratch) and NEVER been able to keep leftovers when I have more than one fridge on my lot. Wonder why your fridges work while mine NEVER work?

Once my PC's power supply blew and fried everything including my HDs (I lost SO much, it broke my heart), so I had to reinstall everything from scratch. Didn't help, the fridge leftovers storage problem if I had more than one fridge on the lot was the same with the new complete reinstall. (I reinstalled from physical game discs, not downloads, then did updates.)
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I also don't have any issue with food spoiling due to multiple refrigerators. The only time it happens is if the second refrigerator is a cheap one. Then the food will spoil at its rate instead at the rate of the expensive main refrigerator.
    edited April 2018
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I also don't have any issue with food spoiling due to multiple refrigerators. The only time it happens is if the second refrigerator is a cheap one. Then the food will spoil at its rate instead at the rate of the expensive main refrigerator.

I always use the most expensive fridges. Research I've just done seems to indicate the food spoilage problem started with the World Adventures EP. They say a quick fix is to use BuyDebug and get the Culinary reward fridge... but maybe not:

Food spoiling in the fridge? - The Sims 3: World Adventures Message Board for PC - GameFAQs https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/968933-the-sims-3-world-adventures/52353535

Also this:

Food spoils in 1 day. Too many refrigerators/appliances/inventory on my lot? http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=19942.0
  • polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
    @pax1sw I only had WA installed for a few weeks myself, but even then did not have issues with my refridgerators :/ I wish I could give you an answer. Maybe it's a game issue that only affects some and not all players.
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
    I've had WA installed for a long time. If there was a food spoilage bug with WA's release it might have been fixed. IIRC, some of the UL dorms have 2 refrigerators by default, so obviously this isn't intended behavior.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm going to have to agree with @TreyNutz and the others here. I've had multiple fridges on lots for years, before I had WA even and probably before I had NRaas mods (that would be too long ago to really remember though). Even have two on the lot I am playing now, it's an EA designed lot and came that way. I actually wish the fridges were independent of each other, but no they do share inventories and the food spoils at the rate of the most expensive fridge on the lot in all cases.

Also this:
    Food spoils in 1 day. Too many refrigerators/appliances/inventory on my lot? http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=19942.0
    As that thread went on to show, the issue was caused specifically by witches using the Restoration Ritual. This is indeed a known issue and can be fixed with a mod or by removing the prepared food from one of the fridges before the spell is cast. The older thread from 2010 couldn't have been about witches as it was from before SN was released. It probably pointed to a problem that was fixed by a patch around that long ago.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've never had problems with multiple fridges on lots of any kind unless there were other issues with that save like corruption or a glitched lot.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I remember having the food spoilage issue early in the game when a new expansion came out, so that must have been WA, and yes, it was fixed. Since then, I haven't had it again. In one of my newer saves, I currently have an active family with two refrigerators, one of which is the petite breeze (it's outside, by a fence), and they work fine.

Is this your household's only or primary residential lot? One thing that rang a bell with me was when I was unable to cook by clicking on the fridge on my sims' secondary residential lot, but if I remember correctly, I could use the stove. I definitely had access to the leftovers from their main lot's fridge, which is all sim-ishly backwards, of course. That was right when IP came out, and even it's long enough ago to be a somewhat hazy memory. Thought I'd mention it just in case it was related somehow. As far as I know, that wouldn't have anything to do with spoilage, though.

Did you try deleting and re-buying the fridge? Or resetting the lot?
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm going to have to agree with @TreyNutz and the others here. I've had multiple fridges on lots for years, before I had WA even and probably before I had NRaas mods (that would be too long ago to really remember though). Even have two on the lot I am playing now, it's an EA designed lot and came that way. I actually wish the fridges were independent of each other, but no they do share inventories and the food spoils at the rate of the most expensive fridge on the lot in all cases.

Also this:
    As that thread went on to show, the issue was caused specifically by witches using the Restoration Ritual. This is indeed a known issue and can be fixed with a mod or by removing the prepared food from one of the fridges before the spell is cast. The older thread from 2010 couldn't have been about witches as it was from before SN was released. It probably pointed to a problem that was fixed by a patch around that long ago.

Right, the problem started for me before I got Supernatural. But, whatever, it's not that big a deal to me anyway, just a minor irritation. Honestly, since I began playing TS3 again about a year ago I really haven't tested to see if the spoilage still happens. I'm like an elephant tied to a stake with a rope around its leg as a baby, trained from the beginning there's no escape from that rope, that's just the way it is, so live with it. LOL Think I'll go give it a test to see if it's still a problem for me. :D
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    Still haven't found the source of the problem. Still doesn't work. But I do wonder, does it have to be on a lot that you pay bills for? The lot I'm on isn't necessarily the lot where my sim "lives."

I have a houseboat with a minifridge, and then I set up a lil bit of things on an island to save room on the houseboat including a kitchen. Could that be an issue?
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Still haven't found the source of the problem. Still doesn't work. But I do wonder, does it have to be on a lot that you pay bills for? The lot I'm on isn't necessarily the lot where my sim "lives."

I have a houseboat with a minifridge, and then I set up a lil bit of things on an island to save room on the houseboat including a kitchen. Could that be an issue?

I don't think so. I had sims living in two different lots and their fridges all seemed to work.

I once had a household live in an additional owned home for a few weeks. They did not have problems cooking, although I don't recall whether I options on the refrigerator or not. I did not have issues with food spoiling in that save. Both the primary home and the additional home were on land though. I've never done that with a houseboat as a primary home.

Have you tried making the lot with the fridge the primary home?
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I also had a sim living on a houseboat and she had other lots including the one she had previously lived on and had no fridge problems.

Eating what she'd cooked on the houseboat - while on the houseboat

Caroline093.jpg

Don't think I have any actual screenshots of the kitchen being used but they are on the houseboat
    Caroline134.jpg

Caroline140.jpg

Meanwhile, back on the original home lot that was concurrently owned, she had two kitchens each with a fridge and all fridges worked.

Downstairs (basement) kitchen
    Caroline059.jpg

Original kitchen in prebuilt house in Isla Paradiso
    Caroline068.jpg

No fridge problems noticed. Since she mostly lived alone she relied on leftovers too.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited April 2018
    I've currently got four fridges on my lot: Two in use in the kitchen, Two in a storage-room in the house - plus a fifth upstairs. None of my leftovers spoil. The only time things spoil is when I'm moving the fridges into family inventory...and tear down the entire house for a rebuild (I have a bad habit of doing that). If you don't have the Minus One Kelvin Fridge (things will have a tendency to spoil even though it takes a longer time to do that.

I'm sure the game treats it as if you pulled the plug on the fridge.

@SimsxZelda_fan. Do you have ingredients in the fridge to make a meal? Or is "Get Quick Meal" the ONLY option that comes up. If other options come up and are greyed out, then you don't have the necessary ingredients present in the fridge to prepare it from the fridge. If the stove options is what comes up, then your Sim has ingredients in her personal inventory to make the meal.

But I suggest checking to make sure that it's not a glitch that is preventing you from accessing the ingredients in your personal inventory from the fridge.

Sell the fridge and buy another one and see if that clears up the problem.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @SimsxZelda_fan That *may* have been my situation where I didn't have cooking options from the refrigerator on the secondary property, although they may have purchased a land-based home by then and no longer have had the houseboat (too long ago to remember).

Your sims do own the property on land, right? It's not a no visitors lot or something like that?
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    So it turns out it does have to be a lot that you pay bills for. I moved my sim onto the island (but kept the unowned houseboat by the island) and the fridge worked all of a sudden.

@Nikkei_Simmer It wasn't even an option to cook a meal, but yet I could *open* it and see all the ingredients I had.

I actually wanted to make it a port lot after I added all the things I wanted to on the island, but it turns out you can't have a stove on the lot and not only can you not cook anything you also can't store anything in the fridge at all if its a port. So I gotta keep it where I pay for the island and just have an "unowned" houseboat there (that I built lol) and just do it that way from now on lol
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Sounds like you're having a ton of fun with that. :D Don't you just LOVE this game and its quirks when you place a "lot". And guess what, I guess I learned something too with making sure that the lot isn't a port if you want to be able to eat there. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~