Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Challenge Blog: Rookie's Ultimate Sim Challenge

AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
I'm going to do something that I will probably regret, LOL! I am a bored TS4 player that decided to get into TS3 for a while and I haven't played TS3 for more then just snooping around trying to get a feel of it, so I have practically no experience whatsoever. Which is ofcourse the perfect timing to take on a huge challenge like Llandros' Ultimate Sim Challenge. What could possibly go wrong?

For preparation, I am currently watching the first couple of videos Llandros made about this challenge (his season 1 playlist) to get a feel of what I need to have to start off with. And a couple of do's and don'ts. Then I will start by making my ultimate sim to be. I want to make a female sim because to me it is a bit cheesy to have to do "everything a sim can do" but rely on others (partners) to have the babies for my ultimate sim. No no, if you go all the way, you go all the way.

I invite anyone who is bored enough (just teasing) to follow this topic to feel free to comment on anything I post here. What did I miss, what shouldn't I have done, and what should I definitely not forget? And that starts right now with a name. Her last name is going to be Allstar, and I'd like a name with an A for a first name. Shout out any ideas you'd like to share with me!

I will be keeping track of my progress in this google doc, which is a copy of my TS3 Complete List, adapted to this challeng! Anything missing in either doc? Be sure to let me know!

As for all the ways of having a baby in TS3 that are mentioned in the Odds and Ends section: I made a more detailed list including the occult type of babies, and linking certain ways to the seasons in which you are the lifestate or live in the town necessary for that lifestate. You can find that list in my comment in the original topic and maybe in the future also in the original rules if Llandros decides to adopt my idea into his challenge rules.
Post edited by AlHollandiyah on

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Alison, Alaina, Alyssa, Alexa, or even Aislin have a nice alliteration with Allstar. :smiley: Good luck!
  • Options
    Being a person that is very in to details and wanting everything to be just right before I start I've been browsing a lot of A names. One of the names that I like very much is Amber, so I am considering calling her that. I am still trying to get an idea of what I need to actually do before I start making her, so all input on her, her name, her looks or the challenge is still more then welcome! <3
  • Options
    I have so far watched the first 8 videos of Llandros' season 1, up untill graduation and applying for the daycare job. This gives me a good idea what I'll need to start off with this mega challenge.

Today I spent a couple of hours looking for the lots that Llandros used as well as a good location to place them. I think I have a general idea. I noticed that the alchemy lot is already placed in Sunset Valley automatically and I want to place the Greenhouse and the fruit market near it so my sim won't need a taxi.

As soon as I have these buildings done and my sim made I will probably share some screenshots of both!
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    That sounds exciting!
    I hope you manage to go over it. Sunset Valley is a nice place to start and there's a lot of room for everything.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I just went to the area where the game placed the Elixir Consignment shop already (and some other SN pack related stuff) and changed up that area a bit. It had 4 30x30 empty lots for building, which I replaced with on one side a 30x40 where I placed the Greenhouse, and an empty 30x20 and on the other side a 40x40 where I placed the street market and an empty 40x30 next to it. I am planning to buy the smaller empty lot without building on it so I can keep all my money secure, and then when I return to the university I am planning to place a nice big lot on the 40x30 that I can then move to. This way I use both lots that Llandros said were helpfull / necessary in the challenge without taking a taxi! Well, all except for selling bugs, but hey at least there is less traveling!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    May I introduce Amber Allstar! I gave her an A name because I saw Llandros scrolling and scrolling and scrolling every time he needed to find his sim Lacey in a list, and with both names starting with an A that should simplify matters a whole lot! I also made her 'Amber' colored, because I love rainbow sims, I love all the colors I can pick in TS3 that I couldn't in TS4 and I simply want her to stand out from the main crowd! And because I can. I love being able to pick my own colors for everything but man does it take a lot longer to create that perfect sim then I as a former 4 player am used to! Here are screenshots of her head (with traits and ltw) and outfits!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I moved Amber in to the smaller empty lot, and tweaked the settings of the NRaas Mods that I am using. Especially Saver is something that I simply LOVE! Ofcourse I am going to make an extra save when I deem it necessary, but this is also going to make an automated backup every sim day! So Very Usefull!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    So far I managed to play untill tuesday, 3 game days! On the first day I did the aptitude test, and she got a partial scholarship and 6 credits, probably because of her traits. So we enrolled into the bussiness major, taking on the max amount of points in two weeks. Which meant her monday was crammed with classes, and it was nearly impossible to do stuff in between. Tuesday was a better day for her. I am also working on her rebel influence, and her blog. The blog is going fairly well, with her social networking skill at 8 already, but charisma is still lagging behind.

I still have to get used to watching everything at once, school, schedule, opportunities, the blog, getting to know people, and whatever there is to do more. I did turn back on my decision to not upgrade her dorm room, because I had the money and I thought it would pay off in the long run. So I bought her a proper bed that I will keep dragging around wherever she moves, and an all-in-1 bathroom. And I temporarily stored the bed that was in her room. Which is ofcourse in a dorm, because cheap and I want her to save money.

Overall I think I am doing fairly well, but I am running in to 1 MAJOR issue: Of all people she has met there is not a single werewolf to be found. I saw witches & fairies, but that is not what I need right now. Any tips on that would be MOST welcome!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    So, in an effort to find a werewolf I decided to get the supernatural hangout and place it on an empty lot in the university world. I did manage to find 1 (and just 1!) werewolf, and by now we are best friends, but I still can't ask him for a bite. I hope that this is because he is currently not in werewolf form, and not due to some kind of glitch. It will take another full 2 days before it is full moon and I can test that out. I wanted to turn asap, but this way it will have taken over a full week. And then I still have to wait for 2 days untill I can transform! But hey, at least I can see it coming now.... I hope.

Aside from that it is now friday night and she passed all her exams with flying colors. She also managed to get level 10 social networking, including the meet 25 sims challenge, and she is at level 5 charisma. She also maxed her Rebel Influence (thanks to Llandros showing how to protest and pull it off!) So for now I think I will spend the weekend on the next Charisma levels and social networking challenges, as well as getting the blog more followers! And getting bitten, please!!

On a side note: saver is really a life saver in the game for me! Being kind off ocd-ish I have previously lost myself in freaking up about backups all the time, even to the point that I could never get a challenge of the ground properly. But this time not! I set up saver to make an automated save every sim day at 6 and 18 and keep a total of 8 saves. Now I get prompted twice a sim day to make a backup save and each time it automatically selects the next number out of 8, starting back at 1 after that. I haven't been able to play without any worries for so long it feels awesome! Do check it out if you play a huge challenge like I am doing! Or if you just like backups as much as I do!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    And there we are! After a full week, on sunday night, we finally found our friend Gus at full moon, being very wolfish! After asking him to bite her for 3 times, the 4th time this happened:

That means that somewhere around tuesday evening she will have achieved our first supernatural goal, and can start working on Lycanthropy! Which is just as well, because she already had the social networking skill at 10, and she also have charisma on 8 now too. And she has also gained all but one challenge from charisma (which was more tedious then difficult with the transmogrifier app) and 2 of the social networking ones. Ofcourse, having just started, we are nowhere near selling 5 5star blogs, but hey, what we could do, we did!

And that is me calling it a day for today! Please let me know what you like to see or what you didn't like, or any tips that you have for me! Or even just that you have read this! I love to share my progress in this challenge with other players, and I just know that other then copying what I saw Llandros do I am still quite the rookie and you probably have plenty of tips that I could learn from! Thank you very much for reading this, and see you at the next blog!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    No gameplay updates yet, but I did give Amber a minor makeover. The reason? In an effort to try to get my game to launch faster and play less laggy I decided to uninstall ALL CC, include all of the worlds, and only install the 2 lots and 1 item that I am currently using. When I have a need for another item I will install it at the moment I need it. And if I no longer actively use it I will sell it and uninstall it. I will also only install a world and it's included CC in the season that I am actually living in it. Seeing as Season 1 is in Sunset Valley there are currently no worlds that I need to have installed.

And as it turned out, her hair was CC from 1 of the worlds. So I could go 2 ways: Find out where the hair is and try to download it. Meh. Or find another hairstyle. Which took me more then an hour, because I am picky. That also prompted me to tweak (just the colors of) her clothing a bit, so as to make it easier to see what kind of outfit she is actually wearing! Here is a collected screenshot of the result!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    After two days of waiting she finally turned into a werewolf for the first time! Other then that I played through another week, passed her exams on friday with flying colors and a possible A grade, and re-enrolled for the last term. Which will be easy compared to the first 2 weeks, as she only has 6 points left! Plenty of time to skill up on Lycanthropy, finish the 5th star of her blog and the 10th level of Charisma! Plenty of fun to be had! Screenshots!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I am going to play her through her 3rd and final week of the Business degree! As she got a 6 point scholarship, and 36 points in the first 2 weeks, she only needs another 6. Therefore she only has 1 class on each day, and how amazing is this schedule for that? This means she will have a lot of time to hunt for collectibles and get her 10th charisma point!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    It is friday early in the morning in my game, the day of her final exam! She has a very high stat on her study bar so I am expecting her to nail it and that she will get an A grade on her degree. It still feels a bit weird to me as a Dutch girl that scores in the game are a letter and not a value from 1 to 10, but as I understood an A is a 10 so I'm happy!

The side goals for this week were to finish her 10th level of charisma and get her blog to 5 stars and selling it, which she both managed to do! She also managed to meet a couple of new celebs and got both her 2nd and 3rd star! Now that is what I call progress! I also cleaned up the mess that she called her friend list, with the app, she is now best friends with anyone she knew that is a werewolf or a celeb, and an acquantance with anybody else.

Then ofcourse there are the werewolf goals. She has gotten the alpha dog reward, not because I find it so usefull but we have to get it anyway before she us cured so why not now. She also bit Luco, which got back to her a day or so later saying rumours were spread she had not been very nice to him, can't remember the exact words. But it didn't really affect her so whatever. She also hunted in a pack with 1 other werewolf and is now almost at level 7!

As soon as she graduates I will post screenshots of her degree and her graduation outfit. Which is btw also something that I really wonder about. In Holland when you graduate you just wear your best clothes, and those are different for everybody. I have never seen those black dresses with the square hat things outside movies. EA probably took a lot from the US culture wise....
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    And we have our result! She passed with a perfect score! I choose the Born Saleswoman trait because I think she can get the most out of it before she gets her next degree and can exchange it for a diferent one. For each of the first 5 degrees I will pick her a trait that will help her the most untill the next university season!

Instead of, like Llandros, booking myself in for daycare right away I decided to take 1 week off (she deserved that after the hard studying), travel to Shang Simla, buy the chests and the gear I need later, and go on some more hunts! I also want to spend that week on consigning the surplus collectibles in the hope that I can afford her a bit of a better home!
  • Options
    So, yesterday after the last post I have travelled to Shang Simla where I bought 10 chests and some other stuff I will need later in the season. I sorted my collectibles into a chest, taking them out type by type. First only the surplus metals, which I posted to get smelted. Then the surplus insects, which she donated to science. And then only the surplus gems, storing everything else including my food in a chest temporarily. Then she walked over to the elixir consignment store, made every gem she had on her into hearts except for the tiberium (thanks Llandros for teaching me the game!) and consigning everything except the tiberium. Later I also had her consign all the metal ingots and the grown tiberium, for which we still have to receive our money.

Now I am in the process of searching for a suitable house for her. As it is said in the challenge you have to have roommates in at least 1 world. I want to have that out of the way, so I am searching for a good lot that has potential for having roommates AND daycare specific rooms. The thing is every house with more then 1 or 2 bedrooms has kids bedrooms, which are not so suitable for roommates. So the search is still on! If anybody has a good tip please let me know. The empty lot that I have reserved for her new house is 40x40 but a house that is 40x30 is also welcome!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    YES! After some tutorials and fiddling with a lot of downloaded tools I managed to isolate the hairstyle that I picked in the beginning, so I can install JUST that and not the whole town it came with! I loved the hairstyle so much that I kept being torn between my wish to minimize CC (only installing the actual items / applicable town currently in use and nothing else) and using that hairstyle. Now I managed to combine the best of all worlds! Therefore, here is a screenshot of her in human & werewolf form with her own lovely hairstyle, the Skinny Dreads from Midnight Hollow!

Breaking in to edit: 5 minutes in to my save I finally got the money for all the items that I consigned, including a number of large tiberium crystals that were valued at around 40k, but apparently sold for 80 to 90k. I. Am. Absolutely. Flabbergasted! This is unbelievable! I am guessing picking "born saleswoman" as a university degree bonus trait paid out. Literally! Time to get her a nice house and car!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    With all that money I couldn't resist the strong urge to (cough) move the Landgraabs out of their mansion and 'graab their land'! I moved the Landgraabs to the Unabridged lot at 455 Sunnyside Boulevard.

I then proceeded to first change up the Landgraab mansion to my needs in Edit Town. I started by selling some stuff I didn't want, like paintings and other useless decor, the fireplaces (too bulky and too risky) and skill objects that she can't use yet. I also removed the empty rooms that were only used as chimneys, making the existing rooms a bit bigger, and adding back the 4 pieces of wall that were missing next to the chimneys on the 3rd floor, and upgraded the existing bathrooms.

I then proceeded to place a simple spiral stairway going up to the 3rd floor, and made a 2 roommate 'wing' on each side of the 3rd floor, with a big bedroom with 2 single beds (the dudes will have to share) and for each two their own private bathroom, so I can have 4 roommates for her, as is recquired to do at least once. I also made an extra door in the 2nd floor hallway that makes the right wing with 2 bedrooms private for Amber and her family, effectively banning all the roommates from anything besides the stairs and the tv room on the 2nd floor.

After I had her buy the house and move in to it I placed my chests and my gem cutter in her bedroom as well as a desk for the laptop that was downstairs and can now only be used by her! I also sold the existing bed for the one that she used in University which is (as far as I could tell) the bed with the best specs available. And I plopped her all-in-one bathroom between the two surfaces in her giant master bathroom, for if she is in a hurry, because why not!

Last of all I extended the hedge around the backside of the garden, and also at the front of the house, to keep paparazzi from just strolling in. All in all, most players will still recognise most of the house, but I love the way it turned out! Next time she will probably hire a maid, get roommates, and if it is past thursday sign up for the daycare career so it will start on monday! And set up her house for the first two kids! Plenty of stuff to do coming year!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Ok, my idea of having 4 male roommates was NOT going to work. I got annoyed to the max with all the people entering my house, 1 of the roommates was a paparazzi that chased her earlier, and it was just not working. So I cancelled the roommate service and they just walked out. I was like, meh, I had roommates in the university dorm. So I removed the third floor furniture and the random stairs, and made it back in to an empty attic that can be purposed for anything needed in the future. But I just read back the rules and it says "have at least one roommate that remains through the entire season". So I think I just put the bar too high for my self and can still get this done according to the rules. This time with 1 roommate and a female one! Let's see who they send us!! She can have the double bed bedroom in the east wing and the bathroom that is there, next to the kids bedroom. Or maybe I will switch the two up! I'll go over the house in a minute!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I have spent some time refurnishing parts of the house. In the West Wing, where Ambers ensuit bed/bath/work unite is located, I made a separation between the hallway and her bedroom, moved some stuff around and created a nice little alchemy corner. I also made the door to her entire wing private, so the roommates will keep out. On the minor side, this means that her maid service will not be able to clean it, but rather that then finding her roommate on her desk with her laptop (which happened....). In TS4 you can unlock a door for service sims, does anyone know if/how this can be done in TS3?

In the East Wing, where the roommates are going to live, I made the bathroom slightly large so that the hallway has the same size as the West Wing, and made a double sink. I also gave them both a same set of two nice chairs with a little table, and recolored some of the existing furniture to blend them in better. I also got 2 nice female roommates, which I immediately befriended.

Then in the living room I prepared the house for the 2 to 4 toddlers that I am expecting to get in my daycare job. I put down some toddler furniture, and emptied the useless office space so I can later furnish it for the teens.

I am also about 3/4th of the way towards level 2 daycare in 2 days, so I am guessing that goes alright. Both days both kids showed "feeling great" but both days I got a 'great' on 1 kid and a 'good' on the other. I wonder why I get only 'good' while they are feeling great, and if I can't even manage to get 2 kids at great, how am I going to do with 3 of 4 toddlers? Is it because I am attempting to teach them stuff (potty / talking) also? I mean, Llandros just feeds and changes them, tickles a bit and then basically keeps them in the swing all day, but that feels kind of lame to me, having kids myself.... any tips are most welcome!
  • Options
    It is now friday night in my game. On wednesday evening one of the parents was late, which I actually liked a lot because it gave me the time to spend 1 on 1 with the kid without having to check on the other all the time. I spent all the overtime trying to teaching her how to walk. I actually LOVE how she kisses those little ones gently when she holds them, hugs them, puts them on the ground and takes care of them. It is so sweet to watch! That day I actually had a 'great' score on both kids and Amber got promoted! I also managed to reach level 10 at alchemy (the free skill for this season) and find / learn all receipes except for the zombification one. I am visiting the Elixir Consignment store every single day untill I find the book for it! And with that I'm calling it a day!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Today, before beginning, I decided to do some much needed work on the West Wing, Ambers suite. First of all the HUGE bathroom annoyed me to bits, because she doesn't need a bathroom she might get lost in without a map. Ok, not that big, but too big. You get the idea. And with the East Wing being occupied by the roommates that the challenge has me keep there for the entire season I had nowhere for the child that I still have to get to have a room. So all in all I decided to make a bathroom in her wing in the same spot / size as the roommate wing has, and turn the giant bathroom into an empty kids room. I made it L shaped, and took out a portion for Amber's bedroom, to fit in the alchemy station. This is how it turned out:

I also decided to turn the 2 tiny balconies into 1 bigger one, and put some empty pots on it. Because as soon as she found herself a husband I'm going to have him plant the last remaining life fruit so she will have a bigger supply. Here are screenshots of what it used to look like and what it looks like now:

I also changed the settings of Nraas Saver from twice a day (6 and 18) to 4 times a day (0, 6, 12 and 18) because I experienced a number of crashes yesterday and this way I will have less to redo, and miss less opportunities. It is also a good point to pause the game and think about what to do next, AND it helps me keep her a bit on a schedule. I kind of have a habit of making my sims nolife on the weirdest times, and this new setting will help remind me to send her to bed on time!

Last of all I updated the empty room and made it into a daycare room, to make the living room less like a furniture storage....
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I have been having a lot of trouble finding a suitable spouse for Amber, because literally about everyone I met (including ALL of the teens) were taken steady already! Turns out this is a function of Nraas Story Progression. I could tweak that, but that won't effect the existing steady couples, so instead I choose to invite Gus over, one of Ambers best friends from university and the one she asked for the werewolf curse. First stage I am going to invite him to move in, and from there we will see. He would be a good candidate for the werewolf baby that she needs to have in the first season.

There is just 1 tiny detail. He hates kids. Soooooooo. As I was originally planning to create her a partner in CAS, but then reminded myself how much she liked Gus (in the bite-in-action screenshot earlier in this topic), I am planning to have him take 'therapy' to solve his hate of kids, and then replace that trait with something else. Maybe he will discover that he loves gardening as an outlet for all his unsolved emotions. Who knows. I think that sounds like a plan. And because he will move in as a friend first rather then a partner, I made the future kids bedroom into a full bedroom for him.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yes! Gus took our invitation with both hands, and within an hour I had him agree to moving in. As it turned out I had aqcuired some opposite personality elixirs, and as he had moved in I just put them in his inventory and had him drink them. Now he is family oriented instead of disliking kids,, a heavy sleeper instead of a light sleeper, shy instead of flirty, hopeless romantic and a still a workaholic. I can't recall what his other trait was but it must've been not that important. And he is also still a werewolf! The next phase was easy, as they were already best friends, and within no time this happened:

He said yes! They won't actually marry untill thursday as I don't want her to get days off when her daycare career has only monday to wednesday anyway, and I want to get it over with. Which also meant that I had no more need for 2 bedrooms and finally decided to turn the bigger one in a nice study with an alchemy station and a gem cutter, and a desk with a laptop for both of them. With an archway between the two rooms for easy access. I choose the bigger bedroom for the study as a bedroom doesn't need to be that huge. This is what it has become:

And then I broke one of the challenge rules for the first season. It said that at least one season you have to have roommates, and they have to stay for the entire season. But I've had them for a couple of weeks, and they keep taking others into our home, getting in our way when Amber is talking to someone (did someone mention a third wheel?) and being a general nuisance. So I decided to quit that part. I've done it, and its just not my thing. Now the house is strictly for Amber and Gus and whoever they invite.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Due to several major glitches of my save and all it's backups, I have unfortunately lost all my progress and have to start over. Which is a MAJOR plum! First of all I found that the story progression mod I used has matched up all townies before I even got to meet them, then the game started crashing on map view, crashing on loading, not saving properly, and then when I just thought I had it all fixed, no more kids showed up at her daycare. Which was the final drop. Considering I was only about halfway season 1 and too much is going haywire I am doing a clean start. Let's just hope the glitches will be a past thing, and nothing else will happen....

Also, due to having to restart, and wanting to focus this thread on the progress in the save that I am actually playing, I removed all of the screenshots in the above posts. As soon as I loaded her back in to a fresh save (and probably tweaked her a bit, clothes and traits and the likes, now that I know the game better) I will post a new Hello this is Amber screenshot of her and her outfits!