The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC - help I'm a noobie

Since TS4 I have been watching loads of speed builds and CAS Challenges on YouTube (which 80% of the time) include CC but this is a whole new world to me..(even though I've been a simmer for a while now) so I was hoping on a quick run down on how to start? I'm only really interested in the CAS CC - outfits, hair, accessories etc. And all I know (which is extremely limited) is needing meshes (but don't actually know what this means?)

So someone to help a very beginner would be amazing, I know this can be annoying and I can probably find some YouTube videos that go step by step but the pausing and resuming can make me lose track.

Thank you (in advance) to the poor soul that tries to help me learn this new realm - I greatly appreciate each and every comment/view this gets ^^
tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman

Comments

• CocoapugsCocoapugs Posts: 70 Member
    Do you know how to install? it’s easy...

- you need WINRAR (free to download) to unzip merged files. If you download individual files you don’t need to unzip them and can place them directly in your mods folder.
    - Lilsimsie has some great stuff on her maxis match tumbler page.
    - Once you download, you can place the files from your download folder directly into your mods folder.
    - Then you’re done!

edited April 2018
    If you can’t find your mods folder .... On your computer go to Finder → Documents → Electronic Arts→ The Sims 4→Mods. There should be a file already in there named, “Resource.cfg”
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    Cocoapugs wrote: »
    Do you know how to install? it’s easy...

- you need WINRAR (free to download) to unzip merged files. If you download individual files you don’t need to unzip them and can place them directly in your mods folder.
    - Lilsimsie has some great stuff on her maxis match tumbler page.
    - Once you download, you can place the files from your download folder directly into your mods folder.
    - Then you’re done!

This is going to make me sound so thick, can you go step by step?

so first I need to download this WINRAR
    then I find whichever CC it is from (like you say tumblr)
    then I have to move it to a mods folder? - then I drag it to the folder you mentioned? and it's automatically in my game?

thank you for the link as well ^^

"wahoo" - aquaman
    It’s that easy!
    Try downloading an individual item first (any type of set will need to be unzipped with winrar). I’ll link one hair for you to try. AHOOB has some awesome hair!
    edited April 2018
    http://aharris00britney.tumblr.com/post/171633607401/paige-hair-bgc-18-ea-colors-hat-compatible

Scroll down to where it says download in pink. It will automatically download to your “downloads” folder in your documents. From there you drag it into your mods folder. If you change your mind and want to delete it, you just drag it out and place in your trash or just delete it. It’s so simple!
    WINRAR is important if you plan to download furniture sets. Cas items typically do not come in sets so until your addicted to CC it is not a necessity.
    @Cocoapugs thank you for your help and patience, I wasn't fibbing that this is all new to me.. I will give downloading that hair a go tonight and I just do that for anything I download?

So if I'm only downloading hair items and things for CAS? I do or don't need WINRAR?

"wahoo" - aquaman
    edited April 2018
    You shouldn’t. BTW, you don’t need re-colors (that’s only if you want their custom hair colors outside of what s in game) and you do need the mesh (most hairs don’t require a mesh) and all the creators will link the mesh if needed. It doesn’t happen often with hair. Here’s some of my favorite creators:
    http://aharris00britney.tumblr.com/downloads
    http://blogsimplesimmer.tumblr.com/mydownloads
    http://kijiko-catfood.com/3d-lashes-version2/
    https://madmonodls.tumblr.com ( I like the ultra violet skin) default only means every sim will have the skin. Non default means you can place the skin on sims (it’s in the freckle section).
    What's re-colours? obviously it's more colours of the hairs? but is there an option to have all the colours?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    What's re-colours? obviously it's more colours of the hairs? but is there an option to have all the colours?

Recolours means more colours for the hair in addition to the ones it currently has. You can have recolours & the originals at the same time. For CC recolours you need the original (the one with the mesh) as well as the recolours in order for the recolours to work. :)
    What are the meshes? Like the game stuff - so if I have a hair in the game I have the mesh? But if I don't I need to download said mesh?

sorry! again I'm learning all this new from scratch

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Three types of cc:

1. The creator has just recoloured something that is in one the DLC packs, i.e. it's an EA item to begin with. In that case, you already have the 'mesh' ingame so don't need to download anything other than the cc. For example, this creator here has just recoloured an EA hair, so you would download just this file and you're good to go: http://noodlescc.tumblr.com/post/170588366044/february-6th-update-hair-recolor-we-got-a-new-hair

2. The creator has made a brand-new piece of cc, creating their own 'mesh'. In that case, when you download that item of cc, the file will already include the mesh so no need to download anything extra. For example, this creator here has created a new piece of cc, mesh included, so you'd be good to go: https://www.patreon.com/posts/hani-hairs-18023149

3. The creator has recoloured a piece of cc made by somebody else. In 90% of cases like this, in order for the cc to actually be usable in your game you will need to download the recolour PLUS the original mesh by the person who first made the cc. Often, you'll find a link to this original mesh along with the recolour. For example, this creator has recoloured a piece of cc made by somebody else so you'd need the new cc and its original mesh: i.e. here for the new cc: https://auntiegame.tumblr.com/post/172347488945/hannah-hair-recolored-in-the-witching-hour
    And here for the original cc, i.e. the 'mesh': https://simblob.weebly.com/hannah.html
    So in cases like this, you'll be downloading two files.

Does that make sense?
  • AbbiejabsAbbiejabs Posts: 6 New Member
    Yea, id like some help with cc and mods in general. Iv`e just installed the Harry potter mod for my daughter, all files are extracted to the correct place. It even gives me a notification when booting up the game saying cc mods are loaded and how sims doesnt screen them. Yet nothing shows up on the character screen. Any ideas?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    Abbiejabs wrote: »
    Yea, id like some help with cc and mods in general. Iv`e just installed the Harry potter mod for my daughter, all files are extracted to the correct place. It even gives me a notification when booting up the game saying cc mods are loaded and how sims doesnt screen them. Yet nothing shows up on the character screen. Any ideas?

Hello @Abbiejabs
    Make sure that you have the latest updated version of the Harry Potter mod as the Cats and Dogs patch broke it. This is the link to the updated version
    https://konansock.tumblr.com/post/167835878403/brittanys-mods-fixed
    @rosemow I have messaged you for some help :smile:

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    Hi I did the 7zip thingy and another thingy but not sure what else to do since I want personalities and things of that nature. Please kindly help!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Hi I did the 7zip thingy and another thingy but not sure what else to do since I want personalities and things of that nature. Please kindly help!
    as respectfully as I can say it, you'll probably need to be a tad bit more descriptive than that in order to get some help
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    Do any of you have mods and have they crashed your game or computer. I would really like to have mods but I don't want to do something I regret. These are some of the mods I want Funeral event mod by brittpinkiesims
    Autism spectrum disorder trait
    Bipolar trait by emile20
    PTSD trait
    Anxious trait by skilynn
    Depressed trait by saphryn
    Borderline personality disorder by MiceyLULU
    Tough protector trait by BreezyHoodie
    Social anxiety trait by irdiescentlaura
    ADHD trait by FiendMODS
    Introvert trait by theswarm
    also I want Frozen and horror things as well.
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    Do any of you have mods and have they crashed your game or computer. I would really like to have mods but I don't want to do something I regret. These are some of the mods I want Funeral event mod by brittpinkiesims
    Autism spectrum disorder trait
    Bipolar trait by emile20
    PTSD trait
    Anxious trait by skilynn
    Depressed trait by saphryn
    Borderline personality disorder by MiceyLULU
    Tough protector trait by BreezyHoodie
    Social anxiety trait by irdiescentlaura
    ADHD trait by FiendMODS
    Introvert trait by theswarm
    also I want Frozen and horror things as well.

I think, speaking from someone whose mod and CC experiment went horribly wrong, the best thing to do would be to add them to your game slowly. In a folder called "testing" or something like that.

My advice would be to download a mod, test it in your game, see if it is affecting it in any adverse way. If it's fine, then shut down the game and look at adding the next mod to the testing folder.

If you download all those mods and dump them in your game, and something goes horribly wrong, it's going to take a long time to figure out which mod is crashing your game.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    @Sassycotton if the Mod is from Mod the Sims and has not been updated for a while, check the comments section to see if it has been updated or taken over by another simmer. I know Britpinkie is no longer supporting her Mods but, Konansock has taken over several of her Mods including the Funeral Mod so make sure you download it from them: https://konansock.tumblr.com/post/167305407113/brittanys-mods-fixed
  • NovaBelladonnaNovaBelladonna Posts: 58 Member
    How should you check if your CC are conflicting with new game updates/patches (or is it just mods that would conflict)? Like I know you can download something, but some recommendations from experienced simmers would be great (I've just started playing again after a >10 year break lol).
    For a let's play about a vampire who wants to take over the world, check out my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFyY60q4J0PJNKCePjVG8g
  • SimiellaSimiella Posts: 36 Member
    If you download CC you should put it in your mods folder, I would recommend to create folders in the mod folders to make it easier for you if it would be bugs in them. If the file is named for ex something.zip och something.rar you need a application to change it to a file named something.package. A lot of smaller files is already package but it could be useful.