Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please revamp the whims!!

alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Why are the whims in Sims 4 so repetitive and shallow? I constantly get the "Cook pet food" or "Buy a pet ball" or "Buy a swimming pool at least 1X1" Sims 3's whims system was more in depth and made sense. There was a feeling of progression and they were well thought out. These are just nonsensical most of the time and seem to have no rhyme or reason. Who else agrees??

Comments

• Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree, I loved doing the whims in Sims 3, in fact it’s one of the reasons why I still enjoy Sims 3 so much from time to time (on top of all the other features the game has of course), I really wish Sims 4 had a much better, in depth whim system. There are a lot of good whims, but they should each be tailored to your specific sim with their traits and recent activity. All these whims to buy a pet ball or make pet food should be more exclusive for sims with the Loves Dogs or Loves Cats traits, and all these Buy This Buy That whims should really be geared more towards snob sims who just can’t get enough.
    Post edited by filipomel on
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    And all those dollar sign whims ordering me to buy stuff is very popular. Yesterday, I just couldn't get rid of that whim on the Fyres teen. Every delete it popped up again at least a couple of dozen times before I gave up AND almost killed her. It just alternated between wanting to buy various items from the laundry stuff pack, to the hottub and that 1x1 square of the pool. I actually rage quitted (something I've never done in the Sims) because I was so close in deleting/killing the poor teen.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I sooooo much want a timeout on a whim when I x it off.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    I agree completely! The whims in TS4 drive me absolutely nuts with their repetitiveness... :angry:
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I totally agree! I miss the whims in Sims 3. They would help move the game along instead of just wanting to give out apartment keys. The townies just let themselves in anyway, why does my sim feel the need to give everyone keys?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I just get annoyed when my Sims roll the 'want to explore the city', which requires that they take the elevator to do so. This happens regardless of where they live. I don't like apartments, so I rarely have any Sims living there. Since we can't place elevators in our homes, yet, the whim is pointless and should only activate when a Sim lives in the City.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    My sim wants to walk a dog, buy a ball etc. They don't own a dog.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yep, cook dogfood and buy a ball is driving me crazy. I can't get rid of it! Delete it and it just bounces back.

A delay for deleted whims before returning would be gold!
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    At this point, I don't think this is something that will be revamped.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    The whim system basically ruined the sims game and took away what the sims was about. They should have stuck with the wants and fears of Sims 2.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I love playing with whims and I would rather NOT have to keep deleting them again and again and again in the HOPES of getting something different. I am so sick and tired of that darn "Give key" That's the one I get all the time. Over and over and over until I just give up on it.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Thanks for lending to the conversation everybody! It seems that many people are in agreement that the whims system needs fine tuning!
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Same. This is something that I want in game. Whims adds more uniqueness and depth to each sim. Make it repetitive and shallow then it will represent what the sims really are. I thought they are always taking look at human behaviors when creating Sims yet these whims aren't a nice representation of people actually. Not all of the people are the same. Not all want the same things. So they shouldn't also in the game.
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    Now that they have a toddler, my sims get constant whims to buy a puppet theater even though they already have 2 puppet theaters. If I bought one each time they had a whim for it, they would have at least 10 by now.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I don't pay attention to whims at all, they're meaningless. I agree that they need to be reworked, to follow what sims really want.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »
    I don't pay attention to whims at all, they're meaningless. I agree that they need to be reworked, to follow what sims really want.

In order to make it so it follows what the sims really want, they have to make it so the sims really want something. And in order for that, these sims need to be fleshed out and given a lot more depth to them.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The whim system is awful. All sims get the same whims.

Research vampires
    Make a friend
    Get a cat condo (even if they don't have a cat)
    Buy dishwasher
    Build 1x1 pool
    Buy a puppet theatre
    Play an instrument
    Buy an instrument

Whims don't make sense for the characters and there's very rarely anything substantial unless you manipulate the lot with adding specific lot traits. The sims 2 and 3 have a much better system where the wants and wishes actually are specific for that sim. My romance sim in 2 would not get whims to have children and likewise my family sim would not get wants to kiss or woohoo with x amount of sims. Even in 3 they get specific wishes tailored for them. But in the sims 4 my sims can get the same whims in the same household. I spend a lot of time clicking away random whims that don't mean anything.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Half the time I just go in and do my own thing because I know the Whims aren't that great :/ which is sad because I LOVED the wants/fears system in TS2.
    Now that they have a toddler, my sims get constant whims to buy a puppet theater even though they already have 2 puppet theaters. If I bought one each time they had a whim for it, they would have at least 10 by now.

@LiaRose1435 I looked into this and uploaded a fix here. It seems they didn't have it set so the game checks for the object (some objects do, and this one didn't). If you download and test, let me know if you run into any issues. :blush:
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited April 2018
    It seems too random. Sometimes there are whims that come through die to what your sims are doing or what they like but they all seem too generalized. My sim has never been employed and its been like 80 days in game and he has never gotten a whim to find a job even when he was poor.

I think we need the wants and fears back. I guess the mods are the mods bar now but I feel like there should be a bar of overall lifetime happiness, kind of like the bars we got in childhood that are slow moving and manipulated by actions.

A low bar will make your sim prone to bouts of anger and sadness. Maybe they'll behave more mean or suddenly burst out in tears. They might have a harder time with stuff and possibly upon death family members can be extra sad due to the sims unfulfilled life.
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    Half the time I just go in and do my own thing because I know the Whims aren't that great :/ which is sad because I LOVED the wants/fears system in TS2.

@LiaRose1435 I looked into this and uploaded a fix here. It seems they didn't have it set so the game checks for the object (some objects do, and this one didn't). If you download and test, let me know if you run into any issues. :blush:

Thank you. :) This will be so helpful for the whim challenge I'm playing.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    My sim does not get whims to meet up with her friends unless they are on the same lot.

At home it is. Dogfood, research vampires, buy a ball for the dog even if we have 2 and buy the pool. More variation would be fun. Just getting the same ones over and over and over and over is mind numbing.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Especially the emotion whim. It is absolutely stupid. Emotion is the worst thing in ts4!
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    I agree that the whims are too shallow and repetitive. It gets on my last nerve when the same 1-2 whims keep popping up no matter how many times I dismiss them. I wish they'd address the repetitive problem and I'd love more trait and relationship dependent whims.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I agree with everyone on the repetitive not creative or personal enough like TS3 or TS2, like most I just tend to ignore them or use my imagination to make more out of what they are asking for. Also the "get to know a sim" one is freaking annoying when they know all about them! Dx