Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Gameplay Style: Favorite thing to do in Pets?

Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
I will forever be jealous that TS3 had horses.

Cats and Dogs living together! What are your favorite things to do with the Pets expansion Pack? Personally I haven't had it as long as many other EP's, and I find the "unlocking" stuff by breeding pets to be a bit opaque, so I would love to hear your thoughts! How do you decide which families get a pet? How do you keep the blinking parrot alive? Why the cowplant is there ALWAYS a skunk on my lot?
Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

I never really got into the Pet EP. :blush:
    Not past the second generation of pets. The puppies/kitties are cute but they don't have much to do, they can't learn tricks, they change their looks and we can change them so it doesn't really matter. . .
    I never did the Pets LTWs either. It was that one pack I install for the objects. Horses and farm animals would have been Awesome-maybe. :blush:
    I am glad there are codes for the userStartup to control them, at least.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    So far, I’ve just had a few of my families get one pet. They are really good for fun and socializing. One of my pets was insanely smart and had a great career really helping out the family after the dad lost 50k with a bad choice at work. I haven’t done any of the breeding so that might be fun to explore at some point. I also lost the parrot but I wonder if it was because my Sim forgot to feed him? Or maybe he died of old age. Not sure. Just happened to see him dead in the cage one day. Kinda surprised me.

As with all of the EPs, I think Pets added more realism to the game. I love getting puppies and kittens and getting excited to see what they will look like when they grow into adults.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Every house as a minimum one pet as I've had cats since I was born I don't know what life without a pet is like. Usually 3-4 pets. I teach them all their tricks, get them pet jobs to keep them busy, and just have my simmies love them as much as I would.
    I don't do the puppies & kittens as much in ts2 as I do ts3. No particular reason I just don't think to.
    Bird and the gerbil/hamster/mouse thingy I usually give to the kids, or families in apartments where I feel it'd be unrealistic to have several cats and dogs in. My sims are as obsessive as I am so they rarely die. I think if anything they are overfed :D
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Pets isn't a expansion I truly got into. Some of my families have a cat or dog, depending on my mood. I just usually let them go about their way, though I do teach them some tricks and sometimes let them get jobs. I never breaded any though.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    .... and the game birds Always die. A half day of not putting that +5§ just to fill the bowl Back up and they're dead. It annoys me how fast they die. :sniff: :(
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Speaking of birds, is there a risk of them flying away? I almost never let mine out of their cage for fear of them disappearing forever through an open window.
    Speaking of birds, is there a risk of them flying away? I almost never let mine out of their cage for fear of them disappearing forever through an open window.

No they can not fly away. Like Rflong said though, they die soooo fast. I swear I saw a mod to fix that somewhere. Now I can't remember where... gah!
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »

No they can not fly away. Like Rflong said though, they die soooo fast. I swear I saw a mod to fix that somewhere. Now I can't remember where... gah!

Try MTS and MATY.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Glad to hear I can give my budgies a little more freedom!

Here you go for immortal birds:

Bird cage fix by twojeffs
    http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=12.0

Or if that one doesn't work try this by gummilutt
    https://gummiluttmts.tumblr.com/post/164540012273/no-hunger-decay-for-birds
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member

I should have guessed it was a twojeffs mod. That's where I get most of mine, after all. :)

Twojeffs! Yes of course. Thank you! I know I saw it, it is one of those things I decided I would download if I ever got a bird again. Now I know where to look.
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,720 Member
    1 word: Werewolves! :star::smiley::+1:
    Banner.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When my Sims did have a dog, I enjoyed I could send one of them off the lot with the dog and take it for a walk. Sometimes, you just need some rest, lol. It was great for the two leaving the lot and the one left behind. I liked my dogs being brave and protecting the lot from burglars, and other strays, it was great to watch all that. I usually hired a trainer to train the dogs since my Sims were really busy, but I enjoyed giving them a bath and taking from a stroll.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AmazingFacezAmazingFacez Posts: 88 Member
    Pets having jobs!?!?!?!?!? We didn't get pet jobs in other games unfortunately but my little dogs getting in the carpool or my sims teaching them new tricks they needed for a promotion were the highlights of my game play. :'(
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    I always had a love/hate relationship with this pack. When i play a family with no dogs or cats i always think "I must gave them a pet" and when they are in the family they often bother me ("stop barking !" "Leave the child alone, homework are important!" "You need food ... again ? But i've filled your bowl a minute ago !" "Stop digging !" "Leave the trash can alone !") but when they die of old age (because yep, even if the dog or the cat bother me to no end, i choose to adopt a pet, then i'll keep it to the end, no putting back for adoption.) i'm like "Do you know what this family need ? A pet !" --'
    But i love playing with pets if i play a single unemployed sims (so they can take all the time they need to take care of the pet).
    I always had a love/hate relationship with this pack. When i play a family with no dogs or cats i always think "I must gave them a pet" and when they are in the family they often bother me ("stop barking !" "Leave the child alone, homework are important!" "You need food ... again ? But i've filled your bowl a minute ago !" "Stop digging !" "Leave the trash can alone !") but when they die of old age (because yep, even if the dog or the cat bother me to no end, i choose to adopt a pet, then i'll keep it to the end, no putting back for adoption.) i'm like "Do you know what this family need ? A pet !" --'
    But i love playing with pets if i play a single unemployed sims (so they can take all the time they need to take care of the pet).

:D:joy::D:joy::D
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

:D:D:D:D

OMG! This is me, too! I always hate the darn animal up until it dies and I'm like sad and lonely for my sims and I'm like...lets get another one!