Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spring Fling Homemade Gift Exchange ~ CLOSED

Comments

• MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    *snipped*

If you do uninstall and reinstall it a lot, I recommend at least backing up your .ebc files so you don't have to reinstall the store every time you reinstall the game, at least. :D

I never knew that this ^^ would be a good thing! I think one of the times I uninstalled, I went and deleted all the *backup* files -- in the DCBackup folder -- and found that that kind of helped. My good buddy, SweetPoyzin, told me that that folder was nothing more than backups of your store items any way. I didn't do it - yet - for *this* install, tho. Just wanted to see how the game would play.

Right now, tho... I have an ANNOYING glitch. The stoopid music on for when a "circus" performer is at a sim fest. And EVERY TIME I zoom in closer, the stoopid music sounds like its attached to MY sim! :s:s Clearly, it's not. And then the music "follows her" wherever she goes! I was *just* in my game. I finally had to save and exit out. I'll try reopening it in a few hours. If the music is still going on, I'll have to delete *that* save --- :'(:( --- and start a fresh town. ::cries::

Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Hm... before you do that, maybe try googling it. It's possible there's a known way to fix it.

It could also be bad CC. (Are you using any CC in your game?) Try renaming the Mods folder (and renaming all your .dbc files to something like .dbc.backup) and see if that fixes it. If it does... then you have some bad CC somewhere.

I've seen bad CC do all sorts of crazy things. Recently I was stuck and unable to select a new household, and it turned out to be caused by some (seemingly unrelated) CC I had just added into the game.
    Hm... before you do that, maybe try googling it. It's possible there's a known way to fix it.

It could also be bad CC. (Are you using any CC in your game?) Try renaming the Mods folder (and renaming all your .dbc files to something like .dbc.backup) and see if that fixes it. If it does... then you have some bad CC somewhere.

I've seen bad CC do all sorts of crazy things. Recently I was stuck and unable to select a new household, and it turned out to be caused by some (seemingly unrelated) CC I had just added into the game.

The only CC I use in my are these (see pic below). And it's really ONLY *ONE* CC. The garage door. The rest are Mods. And since NO ONE is updating these anymore, they're all "up to date".

25923064207_ef493106b6_b.jpg

BE-CAAAUUUUUSE of the way CC broke my laptop some years ago, I don't use CC in 3. **with the exception of the garage door**

I ALWAYS DELETE all the .TMP files out my DCCache folder. IF I ever "get" a .DBC file in there, it's ALWAYS only one. Besides.... IF you rename an extension, you WILL GET an error message pop up. (( see pic below ))

26924763198_e37a018f4c_k.jpg

((*sorry for the graininess. took the pics w/ my phone))

Other than all that, I mostly just play with STORE CONTENT and whatever came with all the packs.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    Yeah, I know you get that error about changing the file name. Just select "yes". It's saying that, because Windows thinks you WANT to continue using that file as-is, but the point of changing the extension is that now the game can't look at that file.

Having even one .dbc file means there was some CC that was installed using a Sims3Pack file at some point. It might be something that was downloaded from the Exchange like a world or CAP, but the game still sees it as CC. Renaming that extension (before you launch the game), makes it so that the game won't see the .dbc file anymore, so won't use any of the CC that was installed into it when you launch the game the next time.

One thing you have to know about Windows messages is that they're just warnings. If you INTEND to change the extension, then go ahead and do it. It's warning you because you might have intended to change the file name and not the extension, but then your mouse slipped and selected the extension instead. So it warns you, just in case you weren't intending to do that. They HAVE to do that, otherwise people would make careless errors all the time, and can mess up their entire system. (I used to work tech support; we saw that all the time. There's an apocryphal story about a guy who was demonstrating one of the first PCs, and inadvertently deleted the entire DOS directory. I don't know if it's true or not, but it was something all tech people knew back then to remind us to be careful what we were doing.)

Although I'm not familiar with the pregnancy controller and the garage door, the other things should all be OK. Here's an example of a strange CC problem; today I added three lipsticks into my game, and now two of my Sims turned invisible. Even though I hadn't put those lipsticks actually ON anyone yet. So yeah, CC can do some strange things. I'm tired of the EA lipsticks, but having Sims go invisible isn't worth the pretty makeup. :)
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    Ooh this looks like a lot of fun! I think I'll stop lurking and sign up!
    I wound up changing that only .dbc file, and now EVERYTHING I was just playing has been erased!! Was it supposed to do that?! Not that I mind, of course. Like I said, I was going to delete *that* save any way. I know for a fact that the garage door CC is not bad. If it *was*, then SweetPoyzin wouldn't be using it. ((she always tells me if something is bad or not)) The Pregnancy Controller is just a way for YOU to control your sim's pregnancy. How many babies, the sex, etc. And I have *never* had a problem with it.

But any way .... I'm gonna start a brand new game in MY world. Oh yeah .... I only have ALL of EA's worlds installed, and my own created one. And NO -- I didn't use CC when I had built and created mine. I'm just hoping that the glitch is gone forever. That music was annoying as all get out. ((had to be "PC". cos what I really wanted to say, I would have gotten "plummed". :D ))
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    Username: KhemKat19

Link to your Sims 3 My Page: (This is to help me when Buddy pairings are being made, especially if I don’t know you very well. If you’d rather not put your link here, please send me a PM with this information): https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Masspecgirl19; note that my page is NOT accurate in the slightest (I never use it, and I actually have a second earlier account because I didn't pay attention when buying simpoints...whoops); if you need any specific info, let me know!

I have installed the following Expansion Packs: All.

I have installed the following Stuff Packs: High End Loft, Master Suite, Fast Lane, will be buying Movie Stuff at some point in the near future.

I own the following Store Content: Goodness...I have most of the premium content and a bunch of sets/venues; I'm still working on buying the rest of the store, so if something I don't have is used, I have no problem getting it. If I get paired with someone who prefers a certain set and I don't have it, I will happily purchase it!

I own the following EA-made Worlds: (Please note that others might not feel comfortable using a custom world so please list only those made by EA): all expansion pack worlds, Sunlit Tides, Riverview, Monte Vista, Dragon Valley, Midnight Hollow, Hidden Springs.

Some of my favorite colors are: All of them! I LOVE color!

I really don’t like this color: None; if I could fart rainbows, I would! :D

I love to use items from this set: No preference? I kinda usually use a little bit of everything.

I prefer to play in this EA-made World: I usually play custom worlds, but I think my favorite EA worlds are Dragon Valley, Hidden Springs, and Sunlit Tides.

I enjoy this style of build the most: (Example: Craftsman): Victorian/Mediterranean/Tudor.

I really don’t want this in my game: I'm not a huge fan of super futuristic things, but if it fits the build I'm not opposed.

I would or would not like lots in the following sizes: (If you’re a fan of tiny lots, then here is a great place to mention that! If larger lots make your game lag while loading them, be sure to mention that!) : I have no lot preference; I adore small/tiny homes, but I also play large residences as well. Large lots are not a problem lag-wise, so I'm ok with them!

I want/don’t want berry sims: I'm not sure what a berry sim is, but I'm probably ok with it since I play a diverse group of sims. :D

I want/don’t want occult sims: (Be sure to specifically list those that you are fine with or mention which ones you don’t want to see in your game!): I love all occults, so no preference!

I want/don’t want pets in the household: (Like cats more than dogs? Prefer cute puppies to horses? Don’t want any critters? Mention it!): I LOVE pets, so any and all are welcome!

Do you want your sims and/or pets skilled up for you? If so, how much? (Example: A couple of points, but not maxed out): I prefer skilling myself.

Are there certain skills you want skilled because you really like having them ready when you start with a new sim or household? (Example: A few points in Cooking would be nice so sims don’t burn the waffles and can make more than a mean bowl of cereal!) Not particularly.

Are there particular skill items that you really like having in a build? (Example: I love having sims that can cook, garden, paint and write so having those skilling objects would be awe-sim!): A small garden would be nice, but other than that no preference! (I know I'm being extremely unhelpful, but I play random legacies so everything is useful at some point!)

Other: (Describe here anything that you’d really like that might or might not have been previously mentioned!): I do enjoy interesting community lots, so if my buddy wants to make a community lot with premium content I am so cool with that! And if my buddy wants to give tomb-building a go, that would be amazing!

This text is to certify that I have read ALL the posts and will follow the rules for participation as well as pay attention to important dates.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Welcome @KhemKat19 :)
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Whoa! How did I miss that this was going on? I think I've got my head in the clouds, I've been in my own little world and I'm outta the loop! I loves a gift exchange - glad to see the return of it Addy! :mrgreen:
    Hi Ari !!
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    @aricarai: You hadn't missed it. Addy only posted it yesterday. I hope you join in, and make some of your adorable Sims! :)
    MsPrissy88 wrote: »
    I wound up changing that only .dbc file, and now EVERYTHING I was just playing has been erased!! Was it supposed to do that?! Not that I mind, of course. Like I said, I was going to delete *that* save any way. I know for a fact that the garage door CC is not bad. If it *was*, then SweetPoyzin wouldn't be using it. ((she always tells me if something is bad or not)) The Pregnancy Controller is just a way for YOU to control your sim's pregnancy. How many babies, the sex, etc. And I have *never* had a problem with it.

But any way .... I'm gonna start a brand new game in MY world. Oh yeah .... I only have ALL of EA's worlds installed, and my own created one. And NO -- I didn't use CC when I had built and created mine. I'm just hoping that the glitch is gone forever. That music was annoying as all get out. ((had to be "PC". cos what I really wanted to say, I would have gotten "plummed". :D ))
    Yikes! My guess is that you're using a custom world. Even if the world has no CC on it, the game installs the world itself to a dbc file. Sounds like you pretty much have a CC free game.

That music problem is definitely baffling. I don't think I've ever heard of that one before. :( I wish you had been able to fix it; it would be nice to know what causes it and how to solve it!
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited March 2018
    That's a helpful tip about backing up .ebc files. When I usually uninstall is when I do a full windows reinstall, I know there is an option to do a windows refresh now and keep your personal files but I prefer to back everything up to google drives and clear it all out. I only kept my game saves, mods I wasn't sure I could get back and caw files. I usually have a few copies of the whole game folder when I play so I can switch between vanilla game, modded for building and modded for playing without deleting my cache every time I switch between mods. I have spent far too long redownloading store content over the years. So it would really save me time to keep a backup on my backup drive (once I replace it, it burnt out a few months ago.)

I don't like the lipsticks either, but any CC I use I convert to .package files so I can have it in my mods folder. Then I only use them for gameplay, I don't want anything I share to have a chance of a tagalong. I usually stick to default overrides anyway, my testersim looks so puddingy when I build. :(

Yeah I had too many games installed at once too. I have only reinstalled Dragon Age and the Sims so far.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I hope to be able to join you this time. :) March is super busy for me, but since the most I have to do before the end of the month is dust off an old buddy letter or write a new one, I think I can manage. Once April arrives, I should have plenty of time to play.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    That's okay, we all get busy @aricarai :)
    Hopefully you have time to join as a Buddy. Please, pretty please, with a purple plumdot on top!

It would be SIMTASTIC if you could join the fun again @suzses :)
    This may be coming too late, but @MsPrissy88 did you try clearing your cache files? I had this happen to a sim years ago where the performer music got "stuck" to my sim and I think that's how I solved it, although it was so long ago I'm not certain (and sorry if someone else already said this) :D
    KhemKat19 wrote: »
    This may be coming too late, but @MsPrissy88 did you try clearing your cache files? I had this happen to a sim years ago where the performer music got "stuck" to my sim and I think that's how I solved it, although it was so long ago I'm not certain (and sorry if someone else already said this) :D

ALWAYS do that after I play and shut my game down. Although it's no longer available, I did make a video EXPLAINING THAT on my previous youtube channel. People had -- at one time -- wanted to know HOW to do that. But unfortunately, that wouldn't have been the case. Thanks tho!!! :#
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    MsPrissy88 wrote: »

Yikes! My guess is that you're using a custom world. Even if the world has no CC on it, the game installs the world itself to a dbc file. Sounds like you pretty much have a CC free game.

That music problem is definitely baffling. I don't think I've ever heard of that one before. :( I wish you had been able to fix it; it would be nice to know what causes it and how to solve it!

Huh!!! Another thing I didn't know. I always wondered WHY I kept seeing the "dbc" file. Ya learn something new every day. lol

After I saw that by renaming that file with the "backup" tag, I (obviously) deleted everything that had my world "attached to it." I deleted everything else that was pertinent -- cache files and the like -- and then proceeded to REinstall a "fresh" copy of my world. Right now, I'm just plopping down more houses that _I_ built. OH!! And in the process of building a brand new house/building!! Once I'm done with all that, I'll re-add my people and start playing again. I would hate to have to uninstall Showtime, just to get rid of the Acrobat music.

I'll keep y'all updated on my "findings!"
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    @MsPrissy88 I think I'm understanding that the music is stuck to the sim - as in follows her wherever she goes - as opposed to a location. Would make sense if it were associated with a sim, but just checking. It sounds too late now, but I would have tried a MasterController reset of the sim. If it were stuck at a location, I would have "reset" the lot by saving it to bin, bulldozing the one in the world, and then plunking it down again from bin. I would imagine you can do that with MasterController, too, but haven't done it so not sure what it's under.

Or, you could just be like me and play with no sound. haha
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited March 2018
    Username: fleshjenn

Link to your Sims 3 My Page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/fleshjenn

I have installed the following Expansion Packs: all but Into the Future

I have installed the following Stuff Packs: Diesel, Fast lane, high end loft, town life, and outdoor living

I own the following Store Content: I own quite a lot of it. most of the venues, the greenhouse is my favorite

I own the following EA-made Worlds: all but Dragon Valley and Roaring Heights

Some of my favorite colors are: teal, sunset orange, purple, pale pink

I really don’t like this color: neons

I love to use items from this set: steampunk or bohemian sets

I prefer to play in this EA-made World: sunlit tides, aurora skies is a close second

I enjoy this style of build the most: (Example: Craftsman) small buildings, eco friendly, farmhouses,

I really don’t want this in my game: berrysims. cats or dogs, large households

I would or would not like lots in the following sizes: (If you’re a fan of tiny lots, then here is a great place to mention that! If larger lots make your game lag while loading them, be sure to mention that!) tiny lots, 30x30 lots, larger ones are harder to place

I want/don’t want berry sims: do not want berry sims

I want/don’t want occult sims: I haven't played them lately so I would be open to them.

I want/don’t want pets in the household:
    no cats or dogs. I love the small pets in the games.

Do you want your sims and/or pets skilled up for you? If so, how much? (Example: A couple of points, but not maxed out)
    I like them to definitely have basic skills like 1st point in charisma and a couple of cooking. I could use a master gardener or a professional handyman.

Are there certain skills you want skilled because you really like having them ready when you start with a new sim or household? (Example: A few points in Cooking would be nice so sims don’t burn the waffles and can make more than a mean bowl of cereal!) yes

Are there particular skill items that you really like having in a build?
    depending on their traits and ltw I like to have skill items that would benefit or help them in their career

Other: (Describe here anything that you’d really like that might or might not have been previously mentioned!)
    I am currently using a empty world so could use community lots. houses with 2 or 3 bedrooms. I love sims with a good backstory that I can build on. the lots are all 30x30 or smaller.
    I would love a handyman. someone who can upgrade appliances and is pretty easy on the eyes. and if he happens to have a collection helper in his pocket that would be awesome!

This text is to certify that I have read ALL the posts and will follow the rules for participation as well as pay attention to important dates.
    ~ end of form ~
    Post edited by fleshjenn on
    suzses wrote: »
    @MsPrissy88 I think I'm understanding that the music is stuck to the sim - as in follows her wherever she goes - as opposed to a location. Would make sense if it were associated with a sim, but just checking. It sounds too late now, but I would have tried a MasterController reset of the sim. If it were stuck at a location, I would have "reset" the lot by saving it to bin, bulldozing the one in the world, and then plunking it down again from bin. I would imagine you can do that with MasterController, too, but haven't done it so not sure what it's under.

Or, you could just be like me and play with no sound. haha

LOL! I don't think I've *ever* played my game without the sound on! Wow. Any way.... I didn't have any sim that was "stuck". When I pulled out of normal view and went right before map view -- (( right before you would see the little magnifying glass thingy )) -- the karaoke bar was having a sim fest. Ok. So I sent sim to "watch the show". Only, there wasn't any show going on. That's why I'm thinking it was a glitch of some kind.

I haven't gone "live" to see if the music *died*. Not yet, anyway.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    Ya know .... with all the babbling I've been doing, I really should be adding my letter to the pile! :p:D (( looks at Addy shaking her head at me )) I'll get to it. I'm just taking my time.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
    @MsPrissy88 LOL I didn't mean your sim was stuck. I meant the music was stuck to her (following her) and was not just a problem on that lot where it all started. Anyway, resetting sims or lots or objects - even the whole town - can get rid of a lot of little problems sometimes.

Ms. Too Busy here needs to get busy on a buddy letter, too . . .
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Welcome @fleshjenn :)
    Not shaking my head yet @MsPrissy88 because there is still plenty of time of time for your letter as well as the one from @suzses to get posted. It's nice to see the thread lively with chatter and even nicer to see y'all helping one another with tips and tricks that will hopefully resolve your problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top