Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spring Fling Homemade Gift Exchange ~ CLOSED

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Awesome backstory @Mystik1978 - I loved it! What a great name too! I like your sims style of outerwear the best, but she has a great down-to-earth style. A nurse or a cook... hmmm... there are always decisions!
  • KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    So many more fantastic gifts shared today! I'm hoping I have time later to look at and comment on all of them, once I finish some more prep work for the next couple days. Before that, though...

@fleshjenn
    Thank you so much!!!! <3 Your gift is so amazingly thoughtful and wonderful. Haha, Dino wasn't kidding when he said I was jumping up and down with excitement. Pollux is very near and dear to my heart, very much my favorite foal born during my first attempt at a FFC. I never would have imagined my buddy finding him in the depths of my studio and give me such beautiful Pollux offspring. It's especially amazing to me because it was always my plan to have some offspring of Pollux be the founder of my new FFC attempt. I love that you had the same idea! It will be tough to choose between Mudsplat and Rorschach! They both have such distinctive and gorgeous looks. If you shared your FFC online and still have links to it, I would love to check it out!

You hit the nail on the head with Elena, too! She's so cute! I especially love how you recolored the genie outfit, it's so fun. Scuba diving is indeed an aspect of the game I've hardly tried and I'm so excited to dive in with her! (I'm sorry, please pardon the pun...)

I'm so pleased you liked looking through my studio, too. It's always wonderful to hear that my creations are being enjoyed! That in and of itself is a gift that I appreciate so much! <3

@ciane Yay! :D So glad I was able to match so many build aspects you like! I looked back at your letter so many times when making choices and it helped that we have similar tastes. The varied roof heights, colors and window variety were all inspired by things you said in your letter. And those Bahaus windows really are so fun! I've never used the big, boxy ones that stand out before, but they fit this build so perfectly.
  • Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    So I tried to do the Flickr thing - please someone let me know if you can see the image now.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes, @Mystik1978, I can see the image when I click on your link.

To get the image to show in the thread, type [ i m g ] at the beginning of the link without any spaces and [ / i m g ] at the end of it!

Hmm, for some reason that isn't working. I think it's because the link is too long or because it has that @ in the link.

Any way, you have an active link that will get anyone who clicks on it to the pic.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited April 2018
    @Mystik1978 there you go! The link works and takes you to the Flickr page! So there she is! She looks wonderful <3

I may never get caught up with commenting on each and every fantastic gift that has been presented so far. From farms and sims to adorable houses to what? a pirate ship!!! Holy cow!!

I have so many favorites now I don't know where to start.

I will definitely have a lot of new sims in my worlds that's for sure.

I will be away from my computer for few days and will get everything caught up when I get back.

Keep on creating and happy simming.

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited April 2018
    Blarf. Suddenly having Flickr issues. I'm getting that your connection is not private thing, along with it telling me Flickr's certificate is revoked. It happens with both Edge and Chrome, and I can't remember how to fix it.

Trying to remember what other sites people are using these days? Flickr just felt "comfortable" to me when I was looking for a Photobucket replacement.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @MsPrissy88
    Prissy, I helped @DinoJr track down the pieces he was missing for Diedre and Cody. He says he's not worried about it and is grateful for all the extra content you gave him already. But just in case (and because I went to the trouble of finding it all :p ), here's the list:

Diedre:
    Everyday hair: Roaring Heights
    Formal dress: Show Stopping Style- The Left Has It Dress from the Seeing Stars set
    https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:48621
    Formal hair: Show Stopping Style- Shorty McFleurterson Hairstyle from the Seeing Stars set
    https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:48611
    Athletic top: Punk and Proud Top from the Skylight Studio from the Performing Arts venue

Cody:
    Everyday hair: Sleek Chic from Everyday Casual Chic set
    https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:36031&scategoryId=11974
    Everyday shirt: Hidden Springs
  • MorakaiMorakai Posts: 3,806 Member
    After coming home from the hospital, to a house with no power, I was finally able to get back on. (They were doing work on the lines & transformers in my area) I had to do much reading to catchup. I am still barely able to type one handed, but I had to say something to @Kgaff , and all those posting thier gifts.

To @Kgaff - OMG! Thank you so much! Made me actually cry when I saw Lady in Red. It is so beautiful, and amazingly done. I was not expecting anything, so this took me out of left field. Trying to type one/two fingered, and wiping my eyes with a tissue is not possible, but I keep trying! I am truely honored and blessed with such a loving gift that makes me drool as well as cry. hehe THen you went and made that second beautiful home with the purples and gorgeous green! Holy catnip, I love it! Absolutely floored! I love how you were able to make it chic, but still whimsical & cozy at the same time! Thank you again sooo much, and I am chomping at the bit for the time when I can get in game to look more closely at these gorgeous gifts!

To all the others: Amazing, amazing, abso-fricken-lutely AMAZING builds and families! I would write something about each and every one, but my arms are already screaming at me! If your buddies are not over the moon, they are crazy! Beautiful work, all of you! <3 I promise I will mop up all the drool (actually the other half will) as I/we go along!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited April 2018
    @KaytayRoall: What a neat house! I like how each of the sections of the house uses a different material on the outside, it gives it more texture. The windows on that tower-ish part are very clever; I would probably have made them more symmetrical, which wouldn't have looked nearly as interesting.

The paintings you have in each room really fit the colors and vibe. That view from the deck is breathtaking! Although I know you said it wasn't built there, it still looks good there. :) The ceiling tiles you used make the ceiling look like it has those big ceiling lights on it! This house would fit in almost any of the worlds, and look good in it.

@Mystik1978: That story made me cry. I can't believe I'm crying for a pixel character! :p I do that all the time, though, silly me.

She's a very pretty Sim, and I'm sure she'll get a happier adulthood in most of our games. :)

@Catdog123: I totally forgot to comment on your build, but it's amazing! There was a recent upload to MTS that was a pirate ship, but the poster made it mostly base game, and used roofs for the masts. While it was clever and I was amazed at it, I think the roof pieces are WAY bettah! They look far more like masts, and even face the correct direction. ;)

Wowza, the inside of that ship is fantabulous! I'm presuming you used the fog emitter for some of the flames you have going there; that looks really cool. (Or, er, hot. ;) ) I know from experience that setting up all those fog emitters can be tedious and time consuming. Plus you have to be careful not to catch the masts on fire. ;)

Note: I will update this post once I've downloaded and checked all of these, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Edit:

Elena Feliciano: Custard checked and CC free.
    Fire & Ice: Custard checked and CC free.
    The Modern Executive: Shows some CC - a texture replacement. You might want to find that and remove it before anyone else downloads it.
    Tina Livingood: Custard checked and CC free.

Rec'd, downloaded, and favorited, except the one with CC, which I will do once that is fixed. :)
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    @KaytayRoall I agree with what you said about Ciane, the sims community is lucky to have her. Justine Chase is a great sim her look really goes with her personality and love that you showed her backstory it was nice seeing her go through college. Ugh those dorms stoves right? I only made it one semester before making over the dorms. The genie lamp really leaves some doors open for the way her life goes now.

The Modern Executive suits Justine perfectly, I love the colors you used and it's great how it's on such a small lot but feels so open inside. Everything is laid out really well. I love the splashes of Asian art around, and that rooftop is amazing.

@Ciane I love your Tudor home, I'm amazed how much you were able to fit in and and the decor is so nice. I really love the turquoise you used on the bed and sofa and how you brought the color into the en suite bath. I love the cozy decor in the children's rooms and how you were able to fit the playpen in the room that is going to be handy. The blue and gold combination you used in the living room is so pretty! It's adorable how you can see little sim kids out the window in the picture of it. The kitchen looks great too. I love the tones on the walls. I'm favorating this for next time I play in dragon valley. It's a great family home.

@Mystik1978 It's really good that you are feeling well enough to make something. Tina Livingood is a lovely sim with such a tragic backstory, I hope that she finds some peace and lives a good life either as a nurse, chef or whatever else she may find along the way that brings her joy.

@suzses Fowler's Roost is such a beautiful little cottage, I agree with the reasoning that people nearby would use similar building materials. I love the frog pond and all the little slice of historical life touches like covering the woodpile, and the buckets in the restroom. I like how you were able to leave some toys for pets outside. It's suiting to have pets on a farm. I wasn't familiar with cruck framed cottages, but I'm bookmarking that link to read it later.

@MsPrissy88 Deidre Sinclair looks like she has storied past indeed. I wonder if it's true love with her and Cody Doyle or if he's just an easy mark for her. Great sims and I love your presentation.

@DinoJr I love that you built the farmhouse for Kaelyn's backstory. Even though it's 'shabby' it has great bones. I'm sure she will make it a wonderful home for herself. Also it's so fricken cute that you and Kaytay play the sims together, I wish my husband played.

@Kgaff Morakai Estate is great, I'm amazed that you fit a 100 baby house on such a small lot. I like how you were still able to fit so much entertainment into the home, and a magic room too.

The Ink Nook looks wonderful too, that little park is so charming and a great spot to take your new book. I love tree bench idea. I like that you added in a teabar, and used such interesting bookcases it really would be a nice place to spend an afternoon.

@fleshjenn Elena Feliciano is really pretty, and her style really suits being a genie. I've never played one so I'm going to favorite her for later. I'm taking your horses too. I love that they were born in game, their markings and names are great. I've tried starting the 100 foal challenge a few times but -always- get distracted with a build idea. I hope to finish it sometime.

@Catdog123

Oh my goodness! That is so cool, I love reclaimed buildings, and community lots, and the viking theme, and the Robert Frost reference name, and making the mast and sail out of the carnival tent panels? How creative! You are right the flame effect looks so great in the night picture against the sea color. It's a shame I didn't have the ice bar pieces, I'm sure it would have looked amazing with them. You should still upload a version with them for people that do, I think the idea is so awesome. I love how you used the terrain paint to make glacier filled water around the boat. I love the pictures of your sims testing it out, they look like they are having a great time. I can't wait to get it into my game and see it up close. Thank you so much! I would have never thought of something like that but it's just wonderful.

I really hope I didn't miss anybody, I was out most of the evening so I just got caught up.

edited April 2018
    @suzses I use tumblr and haven't had any issues with it, it doesn't have the ability to save pictures in folders like photobucket and flicker but you can organize them by posts or with tags.

@Morakai I'm sorry you've had such a bad day, I hope that tomorrow is better for you and that you recover soon. *Hugs*

There is a weekend long arts festival going on in my city so I will be at that again all day and evening tomorrow so it will be tomorrow evening before I will get a chance to catch up again. I hope you all have a lovely weekend. I'm tempted to stay up another until it's midnight here to post tomorrow's gift early but I'm just going to save it as a draft and post it in the morning.
    suzses wrote: »
    @Jessabeans Oh, I love this, too! I like spas/salons together, and I don't think I have either yet in my Moonlight Falls redo, so it's perfect and will fit in great. I like the storefront look to it with all the large display type windows. The pool/hot tub area is so lovely. Love the pool shape, the mermaid in the fountain, the flowers in the water. I didn't know you could put flowers in hot tubs. I'm going to be doing that! I also really like the browns/whites inside, with all the little colorful touches coming via other things, like the clothing, paintings, plants, etc. Very pretty to me. The cafe is beautiful, too. I'd love to be in front of that fireplace some days. I really like the color you used for the stone.

Last night, I never did get a chance to look at the farm. I vowed not to get behind on commenting/recc'ing the gifts this time, and it turned out yesterday was a very busy day for that. I do have it downloaded, and I downloaded Vitality right away, too (oh yes, loving its name, too). I'm really looking forward to getting back to Moonlight Falls now. :)

Oh, and if you veer into industrial, that's more than OK, too, because I like it as well.

I'm glad it wasn't a duplicate lot, it was hard to plan not being able to ask questions. Yes, the flowers in the hottub was a happy accident when I was having a disagreement with the pergola height but after testing and seeing it was still usable with them and looks like a lovely rosepetal bath when your sims are in there I knew I should keep it in.

I'm really glad you liked it I wasn't sure if the style was what you had in mind and it's a big relief you like industrial too I won't be tempted to give the lot and nips and tucks before uploading it.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @fleshjenn ~ Elena is a pretty Sim! LOVE her outfits, personality and background because all of these make for good times in the game. Mudsplat and Rorschach have gorgeous coats!!!
    @Catdog123 ~ Fire and Ice is fantabulous! Truly creative uses of venue pieces to create the bow and sails. The landscaping grabs one’s attention and imagination … it really does invoke the impression of a stranded ship. Nicely done.
    @KaytayRoall ~ The Modern Executive is awe-mazing! The combination of materials (wood, brick, paint) and colors is masterfully done. So many things to admire and learn from, yet the rooftop garden garners a favorite spot as it reminds me of some buildings I’ve recently admired, and thought would look lovely Simified.

Like Mia, I saw a texture replacement when checking for CC.
    @Mystik1978 ~ What a sad story Tina tells, but things are sure to turn around for the subdued young Sim!
    Day 2 of Gifting is done. Whew! What a day, too. Gorgeous gifts and cheerful chatter ... <3 it!!!
    Oops, overlooked the part of Mia's post that showed the scan results. I don't know what that texture replacement is. I don't use CC in my game... Any idea where I should be looking?
    @ADWilson @MiaSkywalker

After a bit of thought, I did use a bed with the stencil removed. Could that be the culprit?
    edited April 2018
    @KaytayRoall: I never thought of that, but maybe. Try replacing that item and email it to one of us and we can check it for you before re-uploading it.
    edited April 2018
    @Mystik1978:

I'm really, REALLY sorry this took so long today to finish my presentation and upload the Sims. I have ongoing health issues that are *usually* not too much of a problem for me, but can be. Sometimes after my water exercise class I am so exhausted that I end up sleeping for the rest of the day, and that's pretty much what happened today. I've been on and off, doing the custard checks and commenting, but I hadn't been able to finish my own uploads until now.

Ok, Here I have created a household to suit the farm I built you, and to give you a chance to play a horse.

Presenting, then, The Horse Lovers!
    myst-sims-all-01_orig.jpg
    Linette Bowyar, Nebula Star, and Tomas Mandeley.

The Horse Lovers

I've made them available for you as individual Sims, as well as a household, so you have a choice about how you play them. You might decide to play the two humans (er... witches, actually) but not the horse at some point, if you have a home you want to play them in that doesn't have room for a stable. Or... something. (Maybe something.) And you might choose to play the horse with a different family. Who knows? Maybe only The Shadow....

I figured that since the farm was for Dragon Valley, and EVERY Sim in Dragon Valley is a berry (yes, every one - even those that seem to have regular human skintones are berries), then they would fit in perfectly in DV. Besides, you DID say "berry Sim me up!" so I took you at your word. :) I also gave them pointed ears, so they're really elves. With magic powers, because elves.

The only problem with Dragon Valley is poor Nebula; she has no other horses to spend time with. Makes it easier to win races that way, with no distractions, right? ;)

You said you like purples and blues, so I decided to make Linette purple and Tomas blue.

Their story:
    Linnete and Tomas are both elves who grew up in neighboring villages. Both of them loved horses from an early age, even though they rarely saw them, and no one in their area owned any. None of their friends, family, or neighbors understood their love of something they rarely encountered, and remained baffled at their longing to ride.

It wasn't until they were teens that Linette and Tomas met, and when each learned the other also loved horses, they became fast friends. As they were each the only one who understood the other, that friendship developed gradually into love.

But both felt trapped in their home towns, and they agreed that once they became adults that they would leave. So on the day that both were of age, they said good-bye to their families, and left to seek their fortune.

They had many adventures, which we won't go into here. But one day they found a lost, stray foal, who was crying for her mother. Their hearts broke as they saw this beautiful young mare so lost and helpless, and they decided to try to raise it. Although at the time they knew almost nothing about horses - and certainly not how to raise a young foal - they managed, and the horse grew fast, and strong. They named Nebula star for the markings on her flanks and sides, which look like a beautiful nebula star pattern.

Now the three of them dream of the day that Nebula will prove to the world that she is the smartest, fastest, bravest, and most agile horse in the world. And someday, if they all work hard enough, she will be.

Because the Exchange descriptions have a character limit, I had to shorten it to this:
    Linette and Tomas both love horses, which their families didn't understand as there were no horses where they lived. Their wishes drew them closer together, and they decided to run away to seek their fortunes elsewhere. One day they found a lost young foal named Nebula Star. Despite their ignorance, the two did their best to raise her. The three now hope to one day prove that Nebula Star is the best racing and jumping horse in the world.

Not quite as satisfactory, but c'est la vie.

Each of the individual Sim uploads also has a backstory, in case you want to play one of them separately from the others. Linette and Tomas are girlfriend and boyfriend in the household version.

Their individual (not household) downloads on the Exchange are:
    myst-lin-01_orig.png
    Linette Bowyar
    Linette Bowyar has always loved horses, so much that her family has never been able to understand it. They felt that anyone with her natural magical talent should be happy to help her family and their community. Realizing she would never satisfy her dream at home, she left to find adventures elsewhere. Will Linette fulfill her dream of raising the fastest horses around? Or will she find something else that interests her more?

myst-tom-01_orig.jpg
    Tomas Mandeley
    Tomas is a witch, but has never been satisfied with his natural talents. He has always dreamed of running at speeds that he knows even a broom cannot attain. He read once about an animal called a "horse", and has always yearned to see one. Will he ever have a chance? Or will he learn to be satisfied with what he has?

myst-horse-01_orig.jpg
    Nebula Star
    Nebula Star is a horse who loves to run and jump. She will do very well with a Sim willing to train her!

More pictures can be found on my website.

Edit: Ok, wow, somehow those images turned out MUCH larger than any of the others I used before. Wonder why these enlarged so much?

And I thought I would let you know, Mystik, that my next gift won't be uploaded until Sunday. I haven't had a chance to even start on the presentation for it, and that one is going to take a LOT of time to do. Once you see it, you'll understand. I really had intended to make you a fourth gift, but that final one took SO much time to make.

As I said, once you see it, I think you'll understand. :)
  • DinoJrDinoJr Posts: 89 Member
    edited April 2018
    @MiaSkywalker

Oh gosh, more and more I'm regretting not having the pets expansion!!! I haven't even really seen a berry sim til now, and I like them. I like plain old people looking ones too, but these ones look like a lot of fun!

@Jessabeans

I am very lucky <3 We actually met playing video games... I'm happy it's a habit we share :blush:

Also WOW! 18 downloads of my shabby farmhouse! That feels really good!!!
    edited April 2018
    @MiaSkywalker Went ahead and installed the scanner and checked it myself. Switching out the bed didn't help. I have no idea what else it could be. I don't use CC in my game ever, most if not all of my exchange downloads are from gift exchanges, and the only mod I have is the opportunity fix.

If anyone has ideas of what I should be looking for, please let me know.

ETA: I'm off to bed for the night. I'll try to get up early enough tomorrow to check in before having to leave for work, but no promises. Sorry to keep you waiting, @ciane! I'll try to get this sorted out as quickly as possible.
    @KaytayRoall: Try checking your DCCache folder, and see if you have any files that end with a .dbc. If you do, rename the extension to something like .dbc.backup, and then relaunch the game. Then re-export it again, and see if the file is OK.

I think that if any .dbc file is renamed, then CC can't stay in the game unless it was installed in a .package form, and .package CC usually doesn't have a problem with sticking to exported lots or sims. (Although those can affect the export if you use, say, a food mod that adds new ingredients and recipes, and then inadvertently include one of those ingredients in the upload.)

It's all a pain, yeah. The first time I was in one of these exchanges, one of my houses had CC that I was never able to trace. Finally I ended up rebuilding the entire thing from scratch and that removed it, that's what it took for me. Hopefully you'll be able to remove it from yours without so much hassle!
    @DinoJr: Actually I usually prefer the more normal skin tones, except for faeries. I was just making these to be fun, and to go with the farm. I will make berries that aren't faeries generally only if they have pointed ears and are witches so I can call them elves, or if they're something very different, like a genie or a vampire or an alien. Or if I'm making one to fit a specific character from a book, or something.

But my favorite default replacement skins to use are teruK's natural eSkins. Those are just so gorgeous, that I prefer the way Sims look in those to anything else. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top