Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighbourhood Talk: Season 2! 31/Jan/21

Comments

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    In before everyone thinks I have abandoned this story - I have not. It just took me forever to get the writing done! :D editing x48583993, I'm still dilligently throwing more traumata on our beloved wannabe-rockstar c:

After Mae successfully presented her fruity underwear, she enjoys a little partying on herself. Franco, not so much.
    3.1. Mae West - Invitation pt. 2

Yayyyy! XD
  • WagonFruitWagonFruit Posts: 2,489 Member
    I never gave up!
    And now I need to know if it really IS an alien-Franco in the future...
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    @WagonFruit I guess that depends, if it was really shots or just backfires! :D
    @Piazzagirl1015 I see you love him very much :D
    But I admit he deserved it. Probably.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    I'm hoping for shots with Diego as the victim.
    I like the way you think. :D
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYβ”‚Simblrβ”‚Heffner Legacy Discussion β”‚ Origin ID: Maladi
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Wait what?
    Is Franco or Diego shot? Nooo! Hate this cliffhanger. :D Good chapter though. :))
  • kiriviankirivian Posts: 1,074 Member
    @candycottonchu Thanks for the invite to the thread. Is this the forum for commenting on my thoughts about the characters and stuff? Or should that be done on the blog?
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
    edited August 2018
    kirivian wrote: Β»
    @candycottonchu Thanks for the invite to the thread. Is this the forum for commenting on my thoughts about the characters and stuff? Or should that be done on the blog?
    Yes, this is where the discussion should happen. ;)
    @candycottonchu Sorry for replying for you.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    @kirivian glad to see you here, and welcome! c:
    You can comment wherever you like!
    Commenting on my blog is open for all, you don't need a blogger account.
    And you can also join the discussion here, as you prefer.
    Wherever, I'd love to read your thoughts c:
    Yes, this is where the discussion should happen. ;)
    @candycottonchu Sorry for replying for you.

:scream:
    I guess I have to kick you now!

jk, you always have my special permission to reply as you want ;)<3
    @Maladi777 Thanks! :)
    @candycottonchu
    I am kind of hoping that the "shots" if they did hit Diego, don't take Diego out completely (I know this is probably not popular - cause the guy is pond flotsam), but he has such potential as a drama harbinger for future storylines that I kinda like him (in a villain kind of way). I mean Francesco couldn't have been the conflicted mess he was without Diego, right? And there is also the chance that It was Francesco that took the hit and it leaves him in a place where he needs a little caring for (maybe that's how he and Mae get involved). I mean the possibilities are pretty much open-ended.

I do have to say though, I can't think of Rosa here as anything but another victim. I mean she did start looking like a raving loon with the crazy jealousy thing, but isn't that what happens to a person when their home life and closest relationship are not safe havens? She must have known long before the whole Mae thing came up that something was flawed in her relationship with Francesco. Francesco is a runner. When things go sideways, he either runs literally, escapes with drugs or runs to the arms of someone who will (however awfully) take him in and ameliorate or "take care of" him (first Diego, then Suzette, then Mae..) He does not keep himself - others keep him. She was so out of touch with him that she didn't even know about his past, and she married him? I think there is no way she could have ended up any other way than crazy with insecurity. If she didn't know about Diego, did she know about the drugs? His living on the street? I mean these are serious, glaring reasons for distrust between them. I think Mae was just the focus point that brought it to a header. She deserves someone she can trust later in this story, no matter how she handles the divorce.

Then I know I won't be popular for this one either, but I can't think of Mae's actions as a betrayal. Betrayal implies pre-meditation or intent. I think she is a flighty person (as demonstrated by her actions in the past - letting Francesco stay at her place, jumping into her marriage to Herbert, even more or less abandoning her culinary dreams to pursue her insta-family etc..). Maybe this is because when she was young so much responsibility was thrust on her, but since leaving for Paris, she has not demonstrated any follow through. Her personality foreshadowed her running from this "marriage" long before she did, and again, the trust issue comes into play. Why couldn't she talk to Herbert about her insecurities? Why didn't she share with him the fact that she wasn't ready to be a mother? It also makes me wonder what we will learn about her and Francesco and how they came to be separated. I mean they both have a history of high-tailing it when the going gets tough. I think Herbert, especially as a father, cannot have been oblivious to this outcome. At some level he must have seen this in her, don't you think? He's too cautious (shy?) to be completely oblivious. My heart goes out to Mariella because she is undoubtedly the one who will suffer the most for this. Her ability to trust will be damaged and she is once again facing adolescence without a mother-figure. :'(

Oh my gosh. I am rambling, sorry. I wouldn't be so opinionated if I didn't love the story so much though, so I hope in that spirit you can forgive me my strong opinions. Also one more thing I have to add. I AM ECSTATIC that Linda finally dumped that horses-butt Brian. I love her and I love her cat shoes!!

"You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
    Please let me know if I overshared and/or I am annoying 'cause if not I have a lot to say about the other storylines in this narrative as well. :p
    @kirivian You certainly won't be unpopular here. Us who read this story value each other's different opinions. I'm mad at Mae, @Piazzagirl1015 is not a fan of Rosa, and we all like Franco and kinda like Alejandro our favourite man-🐸🐸🐸🐸.

I'm excited someone likes villains as much as I do. Diego brought the needed tension and thrill into the story. I'm hoping he didn't die too. He can cause more trouble in the future. If he's still alive, I really hope he's become more resourceful and insidious after Paris.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    Please let me know if I overshared and/or I am annoying 'cause if not I have a lot to say about the other storylines in this narrative as well. :p
    There's no such a thing as oversharing when it comes to a feedback. I dare to say I'm speaking for every simlit writer. ;)
    heffners_orig.jpg
    edited August 2018
    @kirivian You certainly won't be unpopular here. Us who read this story value each other's different opinions. I'm mad at Mae, @Piazzagirl1015 is not a fan of Rosa, and we all like Franco and kinda like Alejandro our favourite man-plum.

I'm excited someone likes villains as much as I do. Diego brought the needed tension and thrill into the story. I'm hoping he didn't die too. He can cause more trouble in the future. If he's still alive, I really hope he's become more resourceful and insidious after Paris.

Well, I agree. I think being mad at Mae is appropriate and even warranted, I just don't think villainizing her for it is. She did something stupid and hurtful, so I am mad at her, but I don't think it was done in malice - so I don't think she is a bad person. She just did a really "bad" or perhaps a better word is "harmful" thing. That's all I meant, but the writing, in my opinion, was on the wall with that one.

You kind of have to love Alejandro because he is so absolutely true to his nature. Even if his nature is that of a donkey on steroids. He's in deep trouble now though, 'cause he is a bit defined by his infidelity and now he's got no one left to be unfaithful to but himself.

And about Diego, as they say, leopards don't change their spots. If he makes a return, I hope and expect that he will be exactly what it is in his nature to be only with more experience under his belt so he's better at it. >:)

I am worried about that idiot Paolo and his proposal to Sofia. What's he thinking? How can he fall in love with a girl who doesn't even know who she is yet? Does he even know who he is? I would like to think he was bit deeper than his jockey shorts dictate, but he's engaged to a girl who is so out of touch with herself that she doesn't even want to have a dream or a life of her own. She just wants to be someone's wife. Doesn't Paolo realize he could be any generic dude on the planet? What does she know about what drives him? She's so desperate for security that she can't see what she is giving up. She doesn't care - not about school, about a career, about any dream or activity she may have come to feel strongly about, but she will. When she's married to a guy who knows nothing about her dreams and passions or worse when she finally realizes that she never gave herself the chance to dream or be passionate about something. When her life becomes nothing but nurturing the dreams of others (children, her husband), when she looks in the mirror and sees nothing, but what other people see then she will care. It will be her turn to be jealous of her friend Sara, who didn't get married straight out of high school, but who probably at least had some opportunity (at college, in a job) to discover herself. It could be argued that her "passion" is to be a wife and mother, but coming from the home she came from, how would she even know what those things were? I don't buy it. These two might be able to be happy together someday, but not if they destroy each other by giving so much of themselves up to this romance that they neither of them discover who they truly are. That's my opinion.
    edited August 2018
    @kirivian I never saw Mae as a bad person or even a villain. Rather reckless, bordering on selfish, even though she doesn't come across as selfish at heart. One can do a lot of harm by doing nothing or being indifferent. And she definitely treated her relationship with Herbert as something convenient and invested herself much less in it than he did.

Oh, I love what you wrote. This: Doesn't Paolo realize he could be any generic dude on the planet? I never thought of it that way and you are right! He could be any guy and she would marry him, because he was just means to escape the life she had with her mom and step dad. It is inevitable for her to realize sooner or later she's trapped in the marriage with Paolo, unless they make it work somehow. But too often people who get married too young end up divorced by their thirties. As you pointed out they don't know each other that well, didn't even try to live together before the marriage. Disillusion is inevitable.

I would like to read your opinion on Diana. She's my fav character. What is your prediction regarding her?
    heffners_orig.jpg
    @Maladi777 I love Diana so much. She, of all the characters in this story, has grown, in my opinion, the most - from a foolish (reckless) teenager, to a beautifully maturing young woman.

We don't know much about her before her pregnancy, but we can see that she does not appear to have a lot (if any) support from family (although she does have a good-hearted group of friends who appear to care for her). So she begins her journey alone, and her first experience is this encounter (terribly disappointing/crushing relationship) with this man who takes advantage of her youth and naivety and then leaves her alone with the consequences. And the thing I love about her is that she doesn't run from it or fall into despair. Of course she must be desperately frightened and at times very depressed, but she doesn't give in to those things. She is practical (however young) and she does the right (although difficult) thing. And that is what she continues to do as her story advances.

She has the baby, she arranges to care for her (getting a job and bettering herself with the intent of giving her child an easier life than she has had) and she puts aside, as she does this, the selfishness that a young girl her age might be expected to have, as well as the weakness that some of the other characters might have (no names - Francesco, Mae) to run from this (to seek out an older or richer guy as a husband to take care of her, or to give up the baby, or try to get the father to take some kind of responsibility -which he should, but she makes the decision not to put that toxin in her child's life). I have mad respect for that.

She finds a network that she can trust to help with daycare. She begins trying to educate herself better for her own advancement and that of her family. It doesn't even occur to her when a guy does ask her out, that this is something that is an option for her too. I am glad she does begin finally to think about herself and what she may want and need as well. She deserves good things to come her way. I just hope she doesn't end up reverting to any kind of foolishness like trusting someone who is clearly not committed or sensible or falling for someone who doesn't give a hoot about her personal growth or is so self-sacrificing that he sublimates his needs and want to hers. She deserves someone who is self-confident enough to pursue his own desires AND empathetic enough to support her in realizing her dreams as well.
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    @kirivian I agree with @Maladi777 there is no such thing as over sharing in fact I enjoyed reading your views on the story. I agreed with most of them but even seeing opposing views from another person gives more insight into the story. I did mention that I hoped Diego was the victim of the shots but that was because he is such a villain that you have to hate him. Like @Maladi777 I love the villains because without them the story would be boring. My favorite love to hate character is the man w***e and I list him as a favorite character. He makes me laugh while I hate him. I agree with you about Mae but I'm waiting to see what her actions and her feelings about what she did to Herbert and Mariella afterwards that will determine my opinion to her. I'm waiting to see if she owns up to her actions and if she feels regrets. As for Rosa its not only the jealousy making her a complete lunatic but the fact that she wouldn't let Franco even take care of his baby. I feel there is more to her but you did hit on a point. I always thought it was wrong that Franco never told her about his sexuality which meant he was hiding very important information about himself to a person he took marriage vows with. When a person is truly in love and committed to a marriage they let the other into their life and show them the person they really are. Maybe Rosa sensed this and that is why she was so insecure in their marriage. That did give me something to think about but I still hate Rosa she is #1 on my s**t list and Rita is #2 along with Diego. This list is subject to change when we get back to the present and see the divorce cases.

I love your views on Paolo. I never liked his relationship with Sofia as there just seemed to be something really wrong about it especially considering the fact that Sofia needed and wanted to get out of that dysfunctional family.

@Maladi777 Oh Wow you changed Kellie's hair on your banner :)
    edited August 2018
    Oh I'm loving this discussion!

@kirivian I couldn't agree more about Diana growing most of all the characters. Mae and Linda definitely come across as less mature compared to her. I always viewed Linda as more mature of the two sisters, but I still hold it against her that she dated Alejandro, a married man with a bunch of kids. I have no sympathy for housebreakers and homewreckers (not that Alejandro needed any help there). Diana is younger than these too (at least I'm assuming she is) and yet she's so responsible. I wish only good things for her in the future.

@Piazzagirl1015 You always make me giggle whenever you write about the man hoe. :D We need to talk about him more. If only for the sheer fun it gives me.
    I'm also grinning at the thought of you having a chart of unfavourite characters.
    Aww, you noticed the change in my banner. I had to update it to reflect the change in my story. And I love making banners.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    wow guys, WOW.
    I had a rough day at work, but this definitely cheered me up!

@kirivian Don't worry about oversharing! :D There's nothing more rewarding for a writer than to see their readers being invested in their story. So please feel free to leave any thoughts you want to share, and that includes also ranting about my characters! In fact, I love it!

About Diego, he's definitely a dangerous character. While Franco has a talent for getting into trouble, he definitely wouldn't be in the position he is now without him. Never underestimate the damage a manipulative sociopath can do to a person that trusts him! And it's not over yet :D

I love your perspective on Franco. "He does not keep himself - others keep him." is actually a really fitting description for him, in a way. And Rosa might have taken it a little too literally, when she kept blaming him instead of trying to get to the roots of the insecurity. You're right, Rosa is not only a culprit, but also a victim. Same applies to Franco. Though you couldn't blame him to run from Diego, he was dangerous and there was no other option. The second time, Franco did the "real" break up thing, and you'll see how this ends in the next updates ;)

Diana has definitely one of the strongest personalities in this story. She's really lucky she got a strong network of support through her brother and her friends, so she could focus on improving herself and her daugher's life. Without these people, she might have ended up differently. However, her naivety is still her greatest weakness, and your fear for her falling for someone "unworthy" completely justified.

Mae might be the one that raised the most hefty discussion xD You're right, she's a flighty person, and doesn't think things through. While Diana was basically forced to grow up, Mae was given the chance to make choices about her life when Linda convinced her to take the courses in Paris. Mae hasn't found herself yet, without her realizing it. Under these circumstances it's obvious she'll make grave mistakes, like marrying Herbert. Him on the other side, if he sensed something was not right, he chose (maybe even unconciously) not to hear the bells. We'll see more of his perspective in season 2 c:
    Mariella was also badly hurt, but she's old enough to understand that marriages can fail.

I'm also so excited you love Linda! She's a weirdo sometimes, and maybe a little too passive, but she has her strong points. She didn't show too much character development yet, but I'll definitely fix this later xD
    Any further thoughts on her?

Alejandro is one of my favourites too! So far we've only seen the man wh*re and selfish side of him, but he has many more.

And I love the insight about Paolo's and Sofia's relationship you give! Sofia is in the worst position to get married now, and while Paolo probably only wants the best for her, it's still a dumb move to get her out of her home like this. The trouble is inevitable.
    I did mention already somewhere that I'll have to cut them out of this story for the lack of space and time, but only yesterday I was thinking of writing their sequel in a separate one, in rotation with NBHT season 2. There's so much potential, and both inspire me.

@everyone would you like to read this?

@Maladi777 The investment in the relationship between Herbert and Mae is not as obvious as it might seem at first. And while Mae is definitely the "bad guy" here, Herbert did make a lot of mistakes himself, one pointed out by @kirivian , to not even sense what might be wrong.
    Mae and Diana both just turned 20 at the beginning of the story (Mae being 2 months older), and Linda's turning 23 in the first year's autumn.
    That makes Mae 22 when she gets married to Herbert (who's 38 at that point).

Paolo could have been any guy on earth (as long as he's good looking and nice to her!) and Sofia would have married him. Her wish to get out of her home, and away from her despised mother and stepfather is unconciously her strongest drive. And as her family (respectively, mother!) is very traditional, she could have done so only by getting married. I really would love to tell more about her story!

Diego btw, can cause trouble even when being dead. /mysterious voice ;)

Diana is easy to love, as so far she has proven to be a strong character. I might have to add some more flaws to her xP
    Do you have a personal list of unfavourite characters, like @Piazzagirl1015 (I also had to giggle!) If yes, I guess Mae would be undoubtedly the lead!

@Piazzagirl1015 Rosa definitely sensed something was wrong in their relationship. And while she pushed and blamed, she pushed Franco even further away. Not a good tactic with anyone, leave alone a heavily traumatized person that rather closes up himself.
    @Piazzagirl1015 Hello! :) I get that you hate Rosa, but I think it may be 'cause you think so highly of Franco. If I distrusted half of what he said because he was after all lying to me about his inherent nature for the duration of the time I knew him, and he was running away from home all the time (using work as an excuse) and then when I finally did confront him directly and his response was (in typical Franco style) to walk out and leave me and the baby, I think I wouldn't want him to be around my kid either. She knew he was lying to her (hiding things from her) - so she was instinctively protective. It's a good quality in my book - not a bad one, but we can certainly agree to disagree on that one.

I do hope that Mae demonstrates remorse for her behavior, but I also don't know that I really think she will. I think she will have moments when she feels deep regret and allows herself some self-pity over it, but ultimately she's a runner. She put it behind her to protect herself and she will most likely leave it there behind her moving forward. Just my opinion. I cant' hate her for being true to her nature and in the same breath love Alejandro for being true to his. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are who they are.

Which brings us to Linda, I generally abhor a homewrecker, but if I am calling upon myself to reflect on her and her nature in this instance, it doesn't surprise me that she wasn't overly concerned about being a homewrecker. This is a marriage that as far as she can tell is a lie. Her pragmatism leads her to the conclusion that nothing she does or does not do with this guy is going to impact that marriage one way or the other - so what's the difference? Plus she clearly wasn't emotionally invested in him, so she wasn't trying to "steal" him. It's not like she had any interest in anyone's "feelings" in this situation - not even her own. She doesn't relate to romantic love in that way from what I can see, which is why she could agree to marry a guy in one breath and tell him to go to blazes in the next. She doesn't have the same understanding you or I might about the impact of loss or betrayal when it comes to romance - so being the "other woman" for her probably only bothers her because she knows at some level that society at large frowns on it. I'd be a wreck personally. Like who does that? I need my guy focused on me, but I am not Linda so I need to like or dislike her based on whether or not she is true to herself, and I think she is.
    I had no idea the age difference between Mae and Herbert was so big! :o This suggests that he probably chose her because of her good looks instead of taking into consideration if she would be a suitable substitute mother for Mariella. Maybe he's more shallow than I thought! :D
    heffners_orig.jpg
    @candycottonchu Hi! Sorry you had a lousy shift. Welcome Home! and TY for making me feel so welcome here. I am probably way too engrossed in these characters right now. After reading through today's posts and seeing everyone's opinions of the characters, I had to go back and re-read a bunch of stuff - just to make sure I was comfortable with my opinions (although that's not generally a problem for me :s ). I am re-thinking my opinion of Alejandro and Linda. Maybe his divorce will force Alejandro to find some depth, but anyone who can't love their kids.... I don't know (slippery slopes).