Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleting cache files?

I read that deleting cache files may help with game crashing. How do i delete them? Which ones can and can’t delete?
Thanks

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    Deleting Cashe package files clean the game from some bugs but they don't help crashing. https://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Delete_Cashe_Files

How many eps do you have installed? What world are you playing?

there are allot of reasons the game can crash. Does your computer meet requirements to run the game?, Do you have a bad save? Are you using CC or mods?Bad CC can cause crashing. Do you have seasons installed and is it snowing heavy?
  • AJC20178AJC20178 Posts: 264 Member
    Yes it is snowing heavy actually is that bad?
    My computer is good ive already checked all that
    Heavy snow can crash some of the best computers. i would try and turn snow off to see if you get past the crash point.

This has happened to @igazor and he may be able to tell you what else may or may not help
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    AJC20178 wrote: »
    My computer is good ive already checked all that
    Sorry, but what is this? :)

If you would like an assessment of how well your computer should be expected to handle the game with all EPs (or tell us the ones you are running), if any of its hardware drivers need adjusting, or there are any known hardware/Windows, etc. conflicts to work through based on what you already have, we would be happy to do that but we would need to see a full dxdiag report. Even computers that are "good" often need assistance in getting this game to run in a stable manner, some graphics cards are so powerful they need protection so they don't get overworked, etc. You would have to paste such a full report into responses here by section as it will be far too long to fit into one, or push it up to pastebin.com and provide a link.

How to run a dxdiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

It would also help to know if you are using mods or not (and which ones).

This is assuming you are on Windows. The Mac version of the game would require a different conversation.

But if you don't want to pursue any of this and all you want is a list of the five cache files to delete on a routine basis before the game starts up (or after you quit, same thing), that's fine too. These files are all on the top level of the TS3 user game folder in Documents. They will instantly regenerate when the game is launched again.

CasPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package (this one is optional)

It's rare for deleting the Thumbnail folders contents and the WorldCaches to actually accomplish anything except slowing your game down especially CAS and Build/Buy Mode as they slowly rebuild. The WorldCaches should never be deleted on the Mac version of the game unless one is never playing that world ever again. The DCCache Folder is where your installed EA Store and sims3pack custom content lives, one would never delete that unless they are trying to get rid of all such content in one step and start over. If I've left any files/folders out whose purposes you are curious about, of course just ask...I may have skipped over something.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AJC20178AJC20178 Posts: 264 Member
    I mean that i have checked my system and it supports the game etc. i have a friend that checked for me.

Thanks ill try that, but I played on a different world and it never crashed so maybe @phoebebebe13 was right with the heavy snow

Thanks
    If you run into more issues you might want to post your computer specs. Seasons is a powerful ep and not every computer can handle it. Allot of people tell us they have a computer that meets requirements when in fact they don't. I can't say this is the case with your computer since you have not posted the specs. Also you did not tell us what world you are playing. Some worlds have routing issues and need to be fixed before playing them or you will have problematic saves over time. .

If your computer does not meet requirements, it may run fine in the beginning on a new save but will become a problem as your saves get larger.

Glad for now truing off snow helped :)
  • exyurockexyurock Posts: 25 Member
    Also, don't forget DCBackup every month or so (not the folder, the files in it EXCEPT ccmerged.package). I found 4GB worth of files in it, that can easily be deleted (as far as I've heard, I've had no problems with the game after deleting the files).
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    exyurock wrote: »
    Also, don't forget DCBackup every month or so (not the folder, the files in it EXCEPT ccmerged.package). I found 4GB worth of files in it, that can easily be deleted (as far as I've heard, I've had no problems with the game after deleting the files).
    Clearing out DCBackup, except for the one required ccmerge file, is part of good file housekeeping. The only point of the other files that accumulate there is to allow CC to stick to sims and lots that are exported out of the game for others to use. If there are no plans to do these things, then all that clutter does not need to be in there. It's not usually a source of serious lag by itself, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net