Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So will DLC for a DLC be a thing?

JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
Yo,
So when EA/The Sims team released the unexpected Stuff Pack that now, also ties with Cats & Dogs.
When I was in social media (FB,Insta,Twitter etc) the reactions and comments caught me off guard for a moment because a lot of people are angry that EA is actually making it happen. Which isn't surprising, because a lot people will still buy it.

it caught my attention that this new SP has a lot of CAS assets that should be in the Pets EP it's like the developers wanted to put it in the EP but didn't have enough time to add it in, and the Cats & Dogs wall decals took a fraction of the buy mode space and is now a cluttered mess.

39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

Post edited by JasonRMJ on

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Probably, from the way things are going
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I think it was mainly because Cats and Dogs sold so well.
    EA couldn't resist the opportunity for easy cash.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I know it is annoying for many simmers but I personally are not so annoyed by this constant bombardment of stuff packs. I just get those I like. It is good to have options :) happy simming
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I think it was mainly because Cats and Dogs sold so well.
    EA couldn't resist the opportunity for easy cash.

That EP was sold at half price almost immediately upon release. My bet is a great majority did not pay full price. That is why it sold so well. As for this stuff , it only really introduces one new pet which are rodents. My first pet was a fancy parakeet, so I was more disappointed it also did not include birds and reptiles.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hello. Thank you for joining us lol

Yes more packs like this are on the way. Last time I saw the YouTube video, it was at 13k likes vs 6k dislikes. So that’s only 1/3 of people saying they were unhappy with the pack. 2/3 is great marketing odds when you consider a product. I’m sure they will make a lot of money from this pack. Everyday I see people who said they weren’t interested in the pack are coming around talking about how excited they are for the little disease and animal onesies.

Someone asked Graham why they didn’t tie in the disease with something to do with the Scientist career and his response was he wanted to keep cross functionality limited to just C&D. So it’s possible in the future we could even need more than one pack in order to play another pack. I think the game is going in a new direction entirely.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited March 2018
    Maybe, I don't know.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited March 2018
    If it sells well enough (which is one of my biggest fears), then probably... I don't see why not. EA loves to take any cash opportunity they can. No matter how greedy it may be. They simply don't care for the players anymore. The days of Sims 2 are officially gone completely. This franchise has become nothing but a cash cow for them to milk. As long as they have enough consumers who continue to blindly purchase anything they release, they'll remain as greedy as they can be.

In my honest opinion, it's time for The Sims to receive competition. The Sims needs to experience what SimCity did when Cities: Skylines was released. That game basically destroyed SimCity. I'm sure EA is probably terrified of the possibility of The Sims getting an opposing counterpart. The main reason being that will end up losing A LOT of money... which is also why I don't understand how they could possibly think even half their ideas are good. Especially when The Sims 4 has already been on the edge of failing several times. These choices that EA is making are very questionable... and I have no idea why they keep taking these unnecessary risks with a game that has already been deeply criticized over and over again.

I certainly hope this is NOT the future for this game, but knowing EA, it probably is...

{EA_Lanna: Removed pointed remark towards others...}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    Dear god, I hope not.
    If I see this becoming a thing, I might be done buying anymore expansions :s
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • ShiroAraiShiroArai Posts: 40 Member
    Honestly, I like the idea of additions to the expansion, but I kind of dislike the whole having to shell out more cash for something that could have been included in the expansion in the first place. If and when I do wind up getting the addon for Cats & Dogs, it'll be after I buy the rest of the expansions and major SP/GP I need to do certain challenges. I can already do the 100 pet or pet breeding challenges without the need for the additional pet accessories.

This is just my personal view on this, and I hope that the fact that I am thinking of purchasing the pack eventually doesn't make people lash out at me with negative posts. I'm just sharing how I feel about it is all. I honestly hope that The Sims doesn't become one of those games that has those stupid, annoying and pointless 'addons' (aka boxes) that have a percent chance to give you something you want for real money.
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    ShiroArai wrote: »
    Honestly, I like the idea of additions to the expansion, but I kind of dislike the whole having to shell out more cash for something that could have been included in the expansion in the first place. If and when I do wind up getting the addon for Cats & Dogs, it'll be after I buy the rest of the expansions and major SP/GP I need to do certain challenges. I can already do the 100 pet or pet breeding challenges without the need for the additional pet accessories.

This is just my personal view on this, and I hope that the fact that I am thinking of purchasing the pack eventually doesn't make people lash out at me with negative posts. I'm just sharing how I feel about it is all. I honestly hope that The Sims doesn't become one of those games that has those stupid, annoying and pointless 'addons' (aka boxes) that have a percent chance to give you something you want for real money.
    Why would anyone lash out at you? That would be ridiculous. :)
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    If there's something they can't fit into an EP or GP for whatever reason, I have no problems with them making a stuff pack to add in more extras for it. This is actually part of what I expected SPs to be for when they split the packs into 3 different types.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    happygurl wrote: »
    ShiroArai wrote: »

Why would anyone lash out at you? That would be ridiculous. :)

Yeah, I'd hate to hear we're shilling zombies lacking self discipline... oh wait! ;)

And yes, it is ridiculous. Still happens though. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Jessvera1Jessvera1 Posts: 45 Member
    So did so many people really think that Cats and Dogs would never receive any additional clothing or items? There's no point in patching or allowing non-EP owners pet items, so "DLC for DLC" is an obvious necessity. Would those complaining really rather never get any other pet clothing or items? That doesn't make any sense to me. As far as patching new pets items in, why would any sane company do that? DLC for DLC seems quite obvious in my opinion.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Hope not. I have zero intentions on supporting the degradation of what is already a failure of a business model in my view.
  • kismetkismet Posts: 61 Member
    With the trend now it seems like that's the direction. However I'm not really a stuff pack person. I'm not too worried about getting any of them if that would be the case. But it'd really suck for people who do want them.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    Yo,
    So when EA/The Sims team released the unexpected Stuff Pack that now, also ties with Cats & Dogs.
    When I was in social media (FB,Insta,Twitter etc) the reactions and comments caught me off guard for a moment because a lot of people are angry that EA is actually making it happen. Which isn't surprising, because a lot people will still buy it.

it caught my attention that this new SP has a lot of CAS assets that should be in the Pets EP it's like the developers wanted to put it in the EP but didn't have enough time to add it in, and the Cats & Dogs wall decals took a fraction of it of the buy mode space and is a cluttered mess.
    I rather think they didn’t have permission to put it in the EP. And yes, I think we’re looking at the future here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Depending on sales, this will absolutely become the norm. And Simmers should be mindful of that overall.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    omg i hate all the wall decals. they just look ugly and clutter the buy mode. funny how they have time for this type of thing. makes me wonder their priorities hmm
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Jessvera1 wrote: »
    So did so many people really think that Cats and Dogs would never receive any additional clothing or items? There's no point in patching or allowing non-EP owners pet items, so "DLC for DLC" is an obvious necessity. Would those complaining really rather never get any other pet clothing or items? That doesn't make any sense to me. As far as patching new pets items in, why would any sane company do that? DLC for DLC seems quite obvious in my opinion.

To be fair, when a company sells an expansion pack that is built around two animals (previous game included several in its version of the same EP) and they are claimed to be bigger, better, and deeper than ever before; then it’s not unreasonable to expect they add a sufficient amount of stuff for those two animals in that pack.

As someone who has played this game series for years I can tell you, no, I did not expect more cats and dogs content. I firmly disagree that “DLC for DLC is necessary”, I expect that an expansion pack should be able to include what it needs to include, and not gouge players out of another $10 after they complained that the EP didn’t come with enough stuff for the two animals they delivered this time around.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    omg i hate all the wall decals. they just look ugly and clutter the buy mode. funny how they have time for this type of thing. makes me wonder their priorities hmm
    I agree with that. I know there are people who enjoy having them, but personally I never know where to use most of them except in a kids room. And then it's even worse that they take up so much space in the catalog. It's the same with many pictures - Many of them are basically identical, but for some reason they don't get grouped together.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't necessarily have a problem with DLC that depends on older DLC. For example, I would be thrilled if they added a pack with more active careers and in that pack there were some additional items for retail (like clothes racks) that were only really usable if you had GTW. I think that would be fine because quite some time passed since the release of GTW and the impression would be they did this because players wanted more active careers. But this, now? I am still confused. Who asked for a hamster? I mean, I know players were asking for small/minor pets, but just the hamster? It's weird, is what it is.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    ^^There's also a rat, hedgehog, and a babalus (voidcritter?).
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

They are essentially the same animal just re skinned. They all behave the same way.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

No, those are re-skins. There are no distinctive behavioural patterns to differentiate them sufficiently to call them a separate species.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    This is probably them testing the water. It's not like Sims 3 didn't divvy up its packs with overpriced Store content. It's possible that it will be incredibly rare, especially with all the anger about the C&D exclusive items making up so much of the pack. Honestly, if the pet clothing was really and truly 'on top of' the other things, then why wasn't it patched in free? The pet toys didn't involve any original coding; why couldn't they be free in the future?

The pack's only new gameplay item is 100% C&D free - take out all the clothes and pet designs and maybe add some more animal furniture instead, and pet-fanatics - the people the pack is aimed at - would still buy it, and they wouldn't feel like they were being taken advantage of. Additionally non-C&D people would feel better about buying it.

EA doesn't like doing things for free though. They don't want to get into a habit of being generous in case people expect it of them too often.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.