Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who actually USES pet clothing?

123457...Next

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    According to business week and other articles - Pet clothing it's a 58 billion dollar a year business and growing just in the USA..... and it is growing world wide.

My real life kitty freaks out if I even try to cover her with her blankie when it's real cold or put a collar on her- I cannot imagine how anyone would get a kitty to wear clothing. But I do know lots of people who have pets that actually like clothes.

We had sweaters and packvests for our lab and Bluetic coonhound when we'd go camping or hiking in cold weather - but only used them if it got really cold and the dogs wanted them. But other than that we never dressed our dogs. My son and his wife dress their two dogs all the time. The dogs love it.

Also many of the shelters I have volunteered for do provide sweaters for many of the pets. Some vets even recommend it now a days. The shelters have wish lists for various types of clothing , blankets and other things they need donated now a days.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    I don't. It's fine if people like it but to me, it looks just ridiculous.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    jaimie_c3 wrote: »
    Pet clothing is cute but I never actually use it. Instead of making clothes I vote more collar and harness options!

This. Can’t understand why this was over looked. Guess it’s because it’s not cute.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Simgurl20 wrote: »
    I don't use clothing on pets in my game, it just looks silly/foolish, but I guess it works if that's what you're going for. Personally, in real life if I had a pet, I would not put clothes on it. It's an animal, not a barbie doll.

English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    It's cool for other people but I don't use them. Collars are just fine.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• FuriousHazFuriousHaz Posts: 4 New Member
    I don't want to use the pet clothing but I feel kind of pressured to because I hate not using large pools of content. I get that some people enjoy dressing up their sims pets but it's... yeah, it's not for me.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    According to business week and other articles - Pet clothing it's a 58 billion dollar a year business and growing just in the USA..... and it is growing world wide.

My real life kitty freaks out if I even try to cover her with her blankie when it's real cold or put a collar on her- I cannot imagine how anyone would get a kitty to wear clothing. But I do know lots of people who have pets that actually like clothes.

We had sweaters and packvests for our lab and Bluetic coonhound when we'd go camping or hiking in cold weather - but only used them if it got really cold and the dogs wanted them. But other than that we never dressed our dogs. My son and his wife dress their two dogs all the time. The dogs love it.

Also many of the shelters I have volunteered for do provide sweaters for many of the pets. Some vets even recommend it now a days. The shelters have wish lists for various types of clothing , blankets and other things they need donated now a days.
    I don’t think dressing pets is just a USA thing, though it apparently is when it comes to fancy dressing (as opposed to more functional use). Found this article, it definitely is controversial.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I don't. Pet outfits are cute at first, but after a while they're just silly. Do you really want to see your pet dressed like a hot dog all the time? Not really. The outfits loose their appeal over time. They just feel like a gimmick to me.

Its like they were made to entertain much younger players than even teens.
    Its such a childlish theme to me.

Silly and annoying after a bit.

That grilled cheese hat :(

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

edited March 2018
    Actually people who buy and dress their pets is not children. In fact it is serious business and many of the outfits at the biggest, most popular pet shows go for higher prices than designer gowns. It is crazy - but now a days that is a thing and it is serious business. It's not a childs thing at all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Ingame I used clothes for pets, I really liked putting my Sims-cats in sweaters in my game so I use them. Have never used one on real animals.

What I would do or not do in the Sims is quite a bit different from what I would do in real life :)
    Ingame I used clothes for pets, I really liked putting my Sims-cats in sweaters in my game so I use them. Have never used one on real animals.

What I would do or not do in the Sims is quite a bit different from what I would do in real life :)

Precisely. Having options is a good thing.

In dreams - I LIVE!

JoAnne65 wrote: »

I don’t think dressing pets is just a USA thing, though it apparently is when it comes to fancy dressing (as opposed to more functional use). Found this article, it definitely is controversial.

I did not say anything about other countries - as I live in the USA and why I said it was a 58 billion dollar industry just in the USA - but yes the practice is growing and is very much world wide and not just dogs and cats. MY horses had blanket cape like things when I was a kid even on really cold nights. Even wild life and zoologists dress up injured or really young wild animals or any creature that has issues retaining heat.

The vast number of cats and dogs found frozen to death every winter tells us their fur is hardly more than humans skin. So not sure where the controversy is - as even shelter now provide blankets and sweaters in colder climate areas for pets even. Depending on the breeds of the pets and if they were outside animals or not. The fur of outside animals is far denser and protective than inside pets.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    I was actually wondering that myself.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018

I did not say anything about other countries - as I live in the USA and why I said it was a 58 billion dollar industry just in the USA - but yes the practice is growing and is very much world wide and not just dogs and cats. MY horses had blanket cape like things when I was a kid even on really cold nights. Even wild life and zoologists dress up injured or really young wild animals or any creature that has issues retaining heat.

The vast number of cats and dogs found frozen to death every winter tells us their fur is hardly more than humans skin. So not sure where the controversy is - as even shelter now provide blankets and sweaters in colder climate areas for pets even. Depending on the breeds of the pets and if they were outside animals or not. The fur of outside animals is far denser and protective than inside pets.
    Like I said, there is a difference between fancy dressing and functional dressing. What I see in the game is a lot of ‘fancy’ dressing and has got nothing to do with cold weather or injury. Nor has this:

hilarious-cats-in-superhero-costumes

catphoto9_evw5l9.jpg

gA53LgL1_400x400.jpg

The tabacco industry apparently is very good for the economy. Doesn’t make smoking healthy though. So I don’t understand why profits would be an argument. That’s really nice for people in that business. And a growing trend isn’t necessarily a good thing.

People defending those suits (or not giving it a second thought) is what worries me and what pulls it beyond “it’s just a game, this is Sims” for me. I don’t quite understand why you’re not sure where the controversy is, when it’s literally described in that linked article. Here’s another one, quite recent. I don’t want to convince you by the way and if people like this in their game, go ahead. No real animals are harmed by that, I really don’t want to blow this out of proportion and make more out of it than what it is. All I’m asking is to appreciate there are people who question this (and feel very uneasy seeing it, that really goes for me, can’t help it), for legitimate reasons.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited March 2018
    Okay, now that I have Cats and Dogs, I can officially answer, I do :)
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Like I said, there is a difference between fancy dressing and functional dressing. What I see in the game is a lot of ‘fancy’ dressing and has got nothing to do with cold weather or injury. Nor has this:

hilarious-cats-in-superhero-costumes

catphoto9_evw5l9.jpg

gA53LgL1_400x400.jpg

The tabacco industry apparently is very good for the economy. Doesn’t make smoking healthy though. So I don’t understand why profits would be an argument. That’s really nice for people in that business. And a growing trend isn’t necessarily a good thing.

People defending those suits (or not giving it a second thought) is what worries me and what pulls it beyond “it’s just a game, this is Sims” for me. I don’t quite understand why you’re not sure where the controversy is, when it’s literally described in that linked article. Here’s another one, quite recent. I don’t want to convince you by the way and if people like this in their game, go ahead. No real animals are harmed by that, I really don’t want to blow this out of proportion and make more out of it than what it is. All I’m asking is to appreciate there are people who question this (and feel very uneasy seeing it, that really goes for me, can’t help it), for legitimate reasons.

Of course there’s a difference. My horse wears a rug in the winter. It doesn’t restrict his movement. He still rolls in the mud and one of my dog wears a dog equivilant. It fastens under his tummy with Velcro straps and it doesn’t cover his legs. We only really use it though if the temperature goes into the minus. One of my girls refuses point blank to wear one and will take it off.

As a licensed breeder and owner of a working dog I know lots of people who have dogs. Many use their dogs as working animals, some show their dogs, many are breeders and many are just pet owners. But the one thing I have never seen is any of them think dog costumes are suitable. Let’s be honest dressing your dog in a shark suit with a toasted grill cheese? Who’s it benefiting? Not the dog.
    Putting dogs in clothing such as coats and jumpers can have an adverse reaction and cause or irritate skin complaints. A third (32 per cent) of vets said it can cause rubbing against the skin while 27per cent cited stress and 23per cent cited overheating as concerns.
    also animal welfare groups are against it. link here

One of my cats I could probably dress up as she is the most placid good natured cat I’ve known, my other cat I would be scratched to death first!

I know it’s a game and that there is no harm in the game putting your dog in a space suit costume or shark outfit or whatever the costumes are. But I don’t think it’s a good message to send at all, that cats and dogs are there to be dressed in sunglasses and ridiculous outfits. I think we can all agree there is a difference between a dog or cat wearing something designed for them say due to injury or a health condition and say a dog wearing a matching hoodie to its owner.

This is a game though that has a young target market. They are the next generation of pet owners and I think they are sending out a very irresponsible message. I know that create a sim is a tool people love to use and some can spend ages doing just that and probably with create a pet too but I don’t think there’s any reason for dogs and cats to have costumes in game. The game has no weather and even if and when it does even a pixelated dog/cat does not need a bumble bee suit to fend off the cold.

I feel the game has too much emphasis on outfits. Aside from the issues with animal clothing in general, I would rather have less daft costumes and more game play. The costumes are only fun for the first few screenshots surely? It’s not a substitute for game play. Well it is now but I don’t feel it should be.
  • fancykurtafromanfancykurtafroman Posts: 6 New Member
    i don't use pet clothing and there many who are use pet clothing and we are use a clothing
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I put my vampire's cat in a top hat and cape looking thing, but it's a quirky one-off for the goofs. :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I wish there were options so that you had like, two outfits - day-to-day and adorable.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    Only ''clothing'' items I use for my pets are collars etc.. Sometimes if I want to bring out the ''crazy cat lady'' vibes in my sims I might just add a funky sweater on a cat or something... I've never used the hats in Cats & Dogs because I can't see an actual pet enjoying wearing a hat. The other reason (besides not wanting to ''torture'' my virtual pets) why I don't put my pets into the weird outfits is I don't wanna watch a giant taco or tiny samurai creature running around my sims' house :'D
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Pardon my vocabulary but I guess only Yankee simmers use them
  • RaniblossomeRaniblossome Posts: 39 Member
    I don't bc I like my cats and dogs to be naked :)
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I’ve always thought clothing for animals is silly, unless it actually serves a purpose. In real life and in-game. Thus, I don’t use it.

To each their own, though.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    There seems to be a few mobile games you can download to dress up your pets and give them a makeover. Generally they are for people age 4 and up. That means we can all play.