Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who actually USES pet clothing?

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Not me, making my dog or cat dress as a taco/stupid costume I find cruel. And before anyone jumps on me, this is a game that rejected a dog house due to cruelty. So don’t be hypocritical. Don’t have any forms of cruelty period. It’s not okay just because it looks cute.

I’m a real life breeder and my puppies are not fashion accessories. It’s a bit disappointing in a game marketed to young people to see pets reduced to that.
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    Not me, making my dog or cat dress as a taco/stupid costume I find cruel. And before anyone jumps on me, this is a game that rejected a dog house due to cruelty. So don’t be hypocritical. Don’t have any forms of cruelty period. It’s not okay just because it looks cute.

I’m a real life breeder and my puppies are not fashion accessories. It’s a bit disappointing in a game marketed to young people to see pets reduced to that.

They didn't reject the dog house due to cruelty. That was a joke. I wish people would stop spreading something that isn't true.
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited March 2018
    happygurl wrote: »

They didn't reject the dog house due to cruelty. That was a joke. I wish people would stop spreading something that isn't true.
    I don't think it was a joke, it looked like Grant said it seriously and they tried to pass it off as a joke.

And even if it was, there's no reason to omit such a basic object for dogs in an EP that's about dogs (and cats).
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't use the pet costumes but I love the pet outfits. So cute. <3 I don't dress my dog in clothing except for a thunder coat designed to calm her during thunderstorms, fireworks displays, etc. I don't have a problem with pet clothing in a game where males are impregnated by aliens, cow plants can eat sims, and sims are routinely tortured and killed.
    Males being impregnated by aliens and cow plants eating sims is fantasy, dressing up animals with crazy suits is not. A sim dying in a fire or drowning is gruesome but reality, that happens. This is a life simulating game after all. All I'm saying is that dressing up a pet as 'simulating life' in my view is tasteless (which is why I added I'm having specifically difficulty with the combination realistic pets (behaviour, simulating life) and the crazy suits).
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Who uses that wall speaker from Backyard Stuff? Who uses that stove and refrigerator combo from Cool Kitchen Stuff? Who uses that rich guy dress robe from Vintage Glamour Stuff?

People use what they like. They're stuff packs, I buy them for 'stuff' - CAS and build items. The "gameplay" item isn't ever really a factor. I think I've used the ball pit once. I've never had my sims play a game of Voidcritters. I've never even placed a water slide. However, the pet clothes are goofy and fun, and they aren't real pets; they're polygons. I will probably use the new outfits too.

What's wrong with the stove and fridge?
    Nothing. That's the point.
    I think it's a stretch to call pet clothing abusive, especially IRL. If anything is "abusive" for Sims pets it is the brain numbing pill for hamsters.

It is not a stretch to call unnecessary cutesy costumes as I see fit. I only see those as pure abuse, in-game and irl. The mind- numbing pill is also not something I would see positively. Oh, and they also "released" the rodents to nature during stream which is irresponsible as well as abusive.

Yes, totally this! For once, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Do you know the various environmental implications this could have on the ecosystem? Invasive species happen in places they didn't exist before, primarily because pet owners think it's alright to release them out in the wild, thinking it will be a-ok. No, it won't! A great example of this is the problem in the Florida Everglades where boa constrictors run rampant because of owners who released their pet snakes into the swamp thinking it would be perfectly fine. If you think harming the environment is fine, well I have no words.

Also, think of the creature you released into the wild. Sure, some animals like boas clearly can make it out in the wild, but little rodents like that have higher probabilities to die in the wild. Domesticated animals factually do not survive in the wild as easily as their wild cousins can, because of generations of domestications that make them eventually reliant and dependent on captive care. If this were the real world, I'd feel very sorry for that poor hamster or reskinned hamster thing, having to brave the dangers of the wild in which they were not bred to survive in.
    It's a video game.

If this were the real world was included in my statement.
    But it isn't. So despawn your polygon hamsters at will.

But it doesn't bode well in teaching irl consequences either. It just makes it appear as if small caged animals are disposable objects.

I know there must be an advocacy community that may bring backlash to the game developers for "releasing to the wild." Even jokingly doing that to pixelated small rodents should not be seen in a positive manner.

Yeah, where's my advocates for poor vampire sims burning in the sun too! Oh, wait. :p

I'm sorry, but cats and dogs in cutsie costumes doesn't even begin to compare with the likes of what can come from an alien abduction. :| And yet it's silly costumes that are the problem, lol.
    Yeah, you try that, make a case for vampires in real life or people violated by aliens. Good luck :p Again, this is the whole point. Dressing up pets in suits that hinder them is real. And shouldn't be supported in a game played by kids.

dress-cat-1_2.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AwsomurAwsomur Posts: 4 New Member
    I don’t. Not in real life or The Sims.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Not in real life anyway. I think that's sad. But in TS4 I might start to now, never done it before, but I would love to make a high fashion diva cat. I'm just starting to see the fun in it.. just because I don't do this IRL, makes it even harder not to, just because I can do something I ordinarily wouldn't. Which is kinda what Sims is about imo.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Sometimes I use jackets or sweaters for my "athletic" dogs, but other than that, I don't use pet clothing very much.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    @JoAnne65 Fair point about the vamps, but I have a feeling in certain areas of the world, you could make a decent living as an alien abductee advocate/councelor. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Omri147 wrote: »

I don't think it was a joke, it looked like Grant said it seriously and they tried to pass it off as a joke.

And even if it was, there's no reason to omit such a basic object for dogs in an EP that's about dogs (and cats).

This is what I think. Thanks @Omri147.

And without de railing the topic, if it were a joke a statement saying that or that it was meant in jest would have been better. Tone implied it was serious. At least to me.
    edited March 2018
    @JoAnne65 Fair point about the vamps, but I have a feeling in certain areas of the world, you could make a decent living as an alien abductee advocate/councelor. :p
    True that :D And who knows there are quite a few career opportunities in Transalvania as well :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    True that :D And who knows there are quite a few career opportunities in Transalvania as well :mrgreen:

Off topic, but that may be the first awesome I've given you, at least in quite some time. Who knew aliens and vamps could give us common ground? It's not even Monday yet!

Must be a blue moon. Or the Daylight Savings Time change. Yeah, that's it. ;)
  • DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    > @TheGoodOldGamer said:
    > @JoAnne65 Fair point about the vamps, but I have a feeling in certain areas of the world, you could make a decent living as an alien abductee advocate/councelor. :p

So... Roswell? ;)
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Off topic, but that may be the first awesome I've given you, at least in quite some time. Who knew aliens and vamps could give us common ground? It's not even Monday yet!

Must be a blue moon. Or the Daylight Savings Time change. Yeah, that's it. ;)
    Lol, returned the favour ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    DBClayton wrote: »
    > @TheGoodOldGamer said:
    > @JoAnne65 Fair point about the vamps, but I have a feeling in certain areas of the world, you could make a decent living as an alien abductee advocate/councelor. :p

So... Roswell? ;)

Nah, that's where you go to sell the trinkets and 'alien artifacts'. It's the next town over where you find the 'real' information, you know, that isn't the government cover-up. ;)
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member

At this I guess that what "basic" is depends on where you are from. Personally I have néver seen doghouses other then on American SPCA type of shows. Why would you want a dog if you aren't going to let them stay in your house. To make your garden less empty? I never understood that.... I'm not saying it's cruel, but I would never call it a basic object, imho.

• Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

At this I guess that what "basic" is depends on where you are from. Personally I have néver seen doghouses other then on American SPCA type of shows. Why would you want a dog if you aren't going to let them stay in your house. To make your garden less empty? I never understood that.... I'm not saying it's cruel, but I would never call it a basic object, imho.
    I don't see dog houses much where I live either but it's just one of the first things that co eto mind when I think about dogs.

It's especially fitting in a game that tends to have the whole 'Suburbia' feel to it.

Also dog houses are for dogs to have a place to rest while they are outside, not necessarily live there the whole time.

I think I'm getting a bit too off-topic...
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Since when is calling pet owners cruel and abusive a joke? That’s not a funny joke. Not a particularly professional joke either. If that wasn’t the reason for excluding dog houses then I don’t see what value it added to the discussion in which it was said.

At the end of the day, it was said and regardless of it being a joke or not, it was said on an official live stream by the head producer of the expansion pack team. Let’s hold people accountable to their actions, and not let them get away with making insults by calling them “jokes”. Did you LOL instantly when he said it? Would you LOL for someone who wasn’t a Maxis employee saying the same thing?
  • DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    I'm fine with having no dog houses. I've never actually seen them in real life (both in the suburbs and in more rural areas). My dog has a nice bed, but both of my pets sleep with my parents.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Where does it come from that people force their dogs to live in dog houses? My neighbors have a dog house and their dog doesn’t live in it. It stays inside with them most of the time. When they are outside, the dog is outside and he seems to enjoy going there. It’s not in the garden actually, it’s in their yard under a big tree (so it’s always in the shade basically). I really don’t see why people get so confused about them. People buy their kids little outdoor playhouses all the time, and I don’t see any claims that children are being forced to live outdoors even though they are basically the same concept as a dog house for dogs.
    edited March 2018

Since when is calling pet owners cruel and abusive a joke? That’s not a funny joke. Not a particularly professional joke either. If that wasn’t the reason for excluding dog houses then I don’t see what value it added to the discussion in which it was said.

At the end of the day, it was said and regardless of it being a joke or not, it was said on an official live stream by the head producer of the expansion pack team. Let’s hold people accountable to their actions, and not let them get away with making insults by calling them “jokes”. Did you LOL instantly when he said it? Would you LOL for someone who wasn’t a Maxis employee saying the same thing?
    Excuse me, but I do hold people accountable for their actions. They said it was a joke and I took it as one when they said it was.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018

Excuse me, but I do hold people accountable for their actions. They said it was a joke and I took it as one when they said it was.

I actually stated my displeasure about that comment to a guru via Twitter. Their "joke" excuse was only after many of us verbalized our disgust about it. The fact it was even said was insulting to responsible pet owners.
    edited March 2018

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive and defensive as far as my first sentence. It's just that on this forum I and others have been called a 'mindless zombie' for planning on buying this pack, so that's the reason. Anyway, if I'm being overly sensitive I apologize.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited March 2018
    The vast majority of my in-game pets don't wear clothing, except for:
    Waffle (Caliente - as in, the Caliente's dog, nothing to do with the temperature of his feet)
    tumblr_ozonpj8xHw1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    Some of the others do have clothing on their secondary outfits, but they never autonomously wear those. So unless it's an active household they don't really wear clothing.
    I did dress up my active household's pets for the wedding though:
    tumblr_p5hscrU1GU1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5hscrU1GU1v8k7elo6_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5hstrtL0k1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5ht6xo6ro1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5hscrU1GU1v8k7elo5_1280.jpg
    ^ Although I don't really see this as clothing, but it was the only suitable thing for a large female dog.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • jaimie_c3jaimie_c3 Posts: 44 Member
    Pet clothing is cute but I never actually use it. Instead of making clothes I vote more collar and harness options!
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    The most I would ever do is give dogs a bandana (Ooh na na).