Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Im going to be a completionist this series, just because i cant get access to TS2 and TS3 wont work properly on my laptop but after TS4 is done, so am I. Not going through the ringer of loot-crates and micro-transactions TS5 is bound to be at this rate.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    I'm not even sure I'd count 10 CAS elements since some are pretty much the same for all members. You have essentially 2 hairstyles, only for adults, one of which has a streaked version (not ombre since ombre is a subtle color change and in hair is usually horizontal). You have T-shirts for male adults, female adults, children and toddlers with a few not having color swatches that others have. You have the hamster costume for adults and the onesie for children and toddlers (still essentially the same). Then, you have a hat for the toddlers. Did I leave anything out?

If you take away all that is the same, you really end up with only 6 new items. No new pants or shoes. No hair for children or toddlers.

The main focus is on CAP and not CAS. That's great IF you have C&D AND like dressing your animals and I can understand why you might want this. I still think they either should have either put this all in C&D or gave this stuff free and then made a small pets pack only with no C&D stuff.

If you don't have C&D, I would not buy this unless you are content with basically getting only 28 items.

I'm happy for you if you are excited about this pack, but I'm at the point where I doubt I'd want it even if it was free.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I just hope the sims team does not take the criticism the wrong way. I still hope we can get small pets, bunnies, snakes, lizards and birds and such. I just hope they can sneak it into other EP's and GP's.
  • maryjane2joemaryjane2joe Posts: 294 Member
    edited March 2018
    As we all know, today we have been shown the trailer to The Sims(TM) 4 My First Pet Stuff. I honestly can't express my dissapointment enough, unless this is a free pack (it isn't very clear) I feel like all of this should've been included in the original Cats and Dogs pack. Why should we have to pay extra? Not only will the expansion w/ this pack cost £40, Simmers who do not have the money for the EP will not be getting full experience like other players. This seems highly unfair.
    I understand that they have done this in TS3 with the weather stone, but the weather stone was a relatively small feature. EA said they'd never do this to players, so why have things changed

I highly agree; we shouldn't have to pay for something we've already paid for.. as for myself... when I first bought the Cats and Dogs pack... I colored many different outfits for my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Rose dog.. even a monster face butt wiggle outfit that's really cute when she walks.. but mostly i made the outfits in the beginning because she's a diaper baby in real life and she has to wear outfits to hold up her diapers.... this would be a wonderful addition... but not if it's going to re-Charge us.
    285JXDb.jpg
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    This pack doesn't even feel cohesive or complete. The whole disease and death aspect feel like it was created for a bigger pack. The hamster suit has no swatches, the rodents have no swatches, there is a dust bath but no chinchilla, which is just strange because I don't think other rodents even need dust baths, do they? I've owned both hamsters and chinchillas and the reason that chinchillas need dust baths is because their fur grows about eight hairs to a follicle and they can't get wet or they will actually grow mold. But I digress, and I'll admit that might be nitpicking because not everyone would know that.

I agree with all you said, but with that one sentence in particular. That was my exact thought after watching the livestream. I don't know maybe, it's just me, maybe I'm still under influence of the Laundry Day livestream where Graham really wanted to show us the backstage of their work. But this time was just different. Maybe it's not just us who find this pack odd.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Hmmm...I have seeing some early reviews (one from simscommunity) and when everything usually gets a passing score with these reviews, this is the first time I seen something get a 2.0....says something don't it? ... Fail!
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    Well, I watched some of the videos of the early release of this stuff pack from AndrewArcade and TheEnglishSimmer. I'm back to being disappointed, which is pretty unusual for me. I buy all of the packs on the day they are released. lol Probably because I love this game. Pretty much many have voiced my thoughts, but LiELF has definitely been the closest. I may get it later when it is on sale. If I can get it for $5, then I will. I'll be interested to see what happens going forward.
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Does anybody have any recommended reviews to watch?
  • jaimie_c3jaimie_c3 Posts: 44 Member
    Hamsters look cool, sad that they didn't add other kinds like rabbits or birds. Maybe even reptiles? Let down after sims 3 pets.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I just watched a couple of reviews of this pack, and I have to say, I feel even stronger about my stance now. And in reference to this statement I made a few pages ago...
    I believe that EA anticipated C&D would be a big seller due to demand, and I wouldn't doubt for a second that as soon as they saw those $$$ that they told the devs to find a way to extend those sales and milk that theme for whatever it's worth. This pack wasn't even in the monthly teaser, remember. Does anyone find that strange? I do. And I think there may even be some other small pets in early development, maybe with the intent of giving us that small pets pack one day, but suddenly they had to pull the rodents for this stuff pack under EA's demand to stretch profits. Who knows what happened? They certainly won't tell us.

...I feel even more convinced that there might be a lot of truth to this theory and that really bums me out. This pack doesn't even feel cohesive or complete. The whole disease and death aspect feel like it was created for a bigger pack. The hamster suit has no swatches, the rodents have no swatches, there is a dust bath but no chinchilla, which is just strange because I don't think other rodents even need dust baths, do they? I've owned both hamsters and chinchillas and the reason that chinchillas need dust baths is because their fur grows about eight hairs to a follicle and they can't get wet or they will actually grow mold. But I digress, and I'll admit that might be nitpicking because not everyone would know that.

This pack feels like it has aspects intended for something bigger, objects that were retextured, sim clothing that was rushed out with very few swatches, pet clothing that matches cas from other packs, and a few new things. The gorgeous round aquarium coffee table doesn't even have a plain swatch, or the same option as the aquariums that we have already where we can stock it with fish of our choosing. Most of the furniture is for kids with a few pieces of random living room items thrown in. When I look at everything together, it's just weird.

This pack does not speak to me of a well-planned development idea. This screams of "How can we quickly capitalize max profits on our best selling expansion?"

This has really killed my optimistic momentum. I thought we had a great last year where things were finally coming together and making more sense and feeling like our feedback was being heard and implemented. And I do really hope that this pack will turn out to be just a one time bad decision, and that those who have spoken against this direction have been heard, and that the game gets back on the track it was going.

But man, even this decision to keep our sims from experiencing any kind of sadness toward the death of their "first pet" feels so patronising, and I feel a need to reference this amazing post from @Bonnie highlighting something that has bothered me about the emotion system since the Sims 4 began:
    Bonnie wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Sim's has the perfect opportunity here to replicate that and to provide a safe and comforting environment in which to experience some of the more negative transitions in life. They already do for the most part, as shown very often in the sims with the death of a loved one, couples splitting, developing new relationships with friends and having new additions to the family! But, as care providers, this is where the line is drawn for us. We can't replicate divorce or death in the classroom for children to experience. However, the game gives them the opportunity to see and be involved in some of the possible outcomes of transition from a third person perspective. I honestly believe that it could only be beneficial to a child to see the genuine reaction of someone who's first pet has just died. I'm not suggesting they turn the sims into a life lesson for children but removing that negative buff in my opinion and from a childcare perspective only gives the impression that it's not appropriate to be sad when a first pet dies. I'm very aware that this is just a game and children are smart enough to see the difference, but I still believe you have the perfect opportunity to turn this into something good.

It is no secret that the emotion system itself has been the subject of great debate and discontent. It is skewed in favor of constant positivity. The absence of fear, the overbuff of happiness, the default emotional state when using cheats that make a sim "happy" and not "fine". By not allowing our sims to have honest emotional states and the ability to stick to them, it sends a message that those emotions are inappropriate and abnormal. It says that to feel this way is too traumatic, that there is no way to overcome it or gain strength from it, that life should always bring happiness or something isn't right. The Sims 4 was designed to focus on emotions. It was basically intended to be more of an emotional simulator than its predecessors. Well, why on earth would they make this development decision if the company itself cannot even handle giving our Sims the standard spectrum and being honest about it? This is one of the things that will never stop bothering me. Was this the intent with this pack? To soften the fragility of sadness when a pet is lost? But if so, then why is it okay to mourn our cats and dogs? Well, in that case, maybe the real truth is that this pack was just rushed so fast that they didn't even have the chance to program a darn sad moodlet buff. Either way, it's not a good thing.

One last thing I need to comment on, is the disease/death/ghost. I love the disease aspect. I love that it's contagious. I love the death itself, which is probably the most gruesome that we've received yet, with the foaming at the mouth effect. It's awesome and I love it. But oh GAWD do I hate that hamster ghost. And it was great foresight to include a way to get rid of the hamster appearance, but why oh WHY does it also get rid of the foaming mouth? Those would have been the best, creepiest ghosts yet. So, so, SO disappointing. :(

I agree. The lack of emotion for rodent death is appalling. Over sight or running out of time does not excuse it. It’s basically saying that rodents don’t matter much and that being sad over a rodent death is too negative? What the heck? Pray tell EA what is releasing your rodent into the the wild then? A day out for them? (Yup you can still set your rodents free).i imagine a child setting their rodent free would find that pretty negative particularly if it was say their siblings rodent. But hey, doesn’t matter. The sim will not care.

I agree about the disease and the ghost. I love guinea pig disease. I still play the sims 1, but I’m not buying this pack out of principle.
    Terra wrote: »

Well, AndrewArcade, The EnglishSimmer, and SimsCommunity (did a build/buy video and a CAS overview). Beyond that, I'm unsure who got it early and did a video.
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories

I recommend Iron CGull, xurbansimsx and Andrew Arcade.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I just watched a couple of reviews of this pack, and I have to say, I feel even stronger about my stance now. And in reference to this statement I made a few pages ago...
    I believe that EA anticipated C&D would be a big seller due to demand, and I wouldn't doubt for a second that as soon as they saw those $$$ that they told the devs to find a way to extend those sales and milk that theme for whatever it's worth. This pack wasn't even in the monthly teaser, remember. Does anyone find that strange? I do. And I think there may even be some other small pets in early development, maybe with the intent of giving us that small pets pack one day, but suddenly they had to pull the rodents for this stuff pack under EA's demand to stretch profits. Who knows what happened? They certainly won't tell us.

...I feel even more convinced that there might be a lot of truth to this theory and that really bums me out. This pack doesn't even feel cohesive or complete. The whole disease and death aspect feel like it was created for a bigger pack. The hamster suit has no swatches, the rodents have no swatches, there is a dust bath but no chinchilla, which is just strange because I don't think other rodents even need dust baths, do they? I've owned both hamsters and chinchillas and the reason that chinchillas need dust baths is because their fur grows about eight hairs to a follicle and they can't get wet or they will actually grow mold. But I digress, and I'll admit that might be nitpicking because not everyone would know that.

This pack feels like it has aspects intended for something bigger, objects that were retextured, sim clothing that was rushed out with very few swatches, pet clothing that matches cas from other packs, and a few new things. The gorgeous round aquarium coffee table doesn't even have a plain swatch, or the same option as the aquariums that we have already where we can stock it with fish of our choosing. Most of the furniture is for kids with a few pieces of random living room items thrown in. When I look at everything together, it's just weird.

This pack does not speak to me of a well-planned development idea. This screams of "How can we quickly capitalize max profits on our best selling expansion?"

This has really killed my optimistic momentum. I thought we had a great last year where things were finally coming together and making more sense and feeling like our feedback was being heard and implemented. And I do really hope that this pack will turn out to be just a one time bad decision, and that those who have spoken against this direction have been heard, and that the game gets back on the track it was going.

But man, even this decision to keep our sims from experiencing any kind of sadness toward the death of their "first pet" feels so patronising, and I feel a need to reference this amazing post from @Bonnie highlighting something that has bothered me about the emotion system since the Sims 4 began:
    Personally, I think the Sim's has the perfect opportunity here to replicate that and to provide a safe and comforting environment in which to experience some of the more negative transitions in life. They already do for the most part, as shown very often in the sims with the death of a loved one, couples splitting, developing new relationships with friends and having new additions to the family! But, as care providers, this is where the line is drawn for us. We can't replicate divorce or death in the classroom for children to experience. However, the game gives them the opportunity to see and be involved in some of the possible outcomes of transition from a third person perspective. I honestly believe that it could only be beneficial to a child to see the genuine reaction of someone who's first pet has just died. I'm not suggesting they turn the sims into a life lesson for children but removing that negative buff in my opinion and from a childcare perspective only gives the impression that it's not appropriate to be sad when a first pet dies. I'm very aware that this is just a game and children are smart enough to see the difference, but I still believe you have the perfect opportunity to turn this into something good.

It is no secret that the emotion system itself has been the subject of great debate and discontent. It is skewed in favor of constant positivity. The absence of fear, the overbuff of happiness, the default emotional state when using cheats that make a sim "happy" and not "fine". By not allowing our sims to have honest emotional states and the ability to stick to them, it sends a message that those emotions are inappropriate and abnormal. It says that to feel this way is too traumatic, that there is no way to overcome it or gain strength from it, that life should always bring happiness or something isn't right. The Sims 4 was designed to focus on emotions. It was basically intended to be more of an emotional simulator than its predecessors. Well, why on earth would they make this development decision if the company itself cannot even handle giving our Sims the standard spectrum and being honest about it? This is one of the things that will never stop bothering me. Was this the intent with this pack? To soften the fragility of sadness when a pet is lost? But if so, then why is it okay to mourn our cats and dogs? Well, in that case, maybe the real truth is that this pack was just rushed so fast that they didn't even have the chance to program a darn sad moodlet buff. Either way, it's not a good thing.

One last thing I need to comment on, is the disease/death/ghost. I love the disease aspect. I love that it's contagious. I love the death itself, which is probably the most gruesome that we've received yet, with the foaming at the mouth effect. It's awesome and I love it. But oh GAWD do I hate that hamster ghost. And it was great foresight to include a way to get rid of the hamster appearance, but why oh WHY does it also get rid of the foaming mouth? Those would have been the best, creepiest ghosts yet. So, so, SO disappointing. :(

I agree. The lack of emotion for rodent death is appalling. Over sight or running out of time does not excuse it. It’s basically saying that rodents don’t matter much and that being sad over a rodent death is too negative? What the heck? Pray tell EA what is releasing your rodent into the the wild then? A day out for them? (Yup you can still set your rodents free).i imagine a child setting their rodent free would find that pretty negative particularly if it was say their siblings rodent. But hey, doesn’t matter. The sim will not care.

I agree about the disease and the ghost. I love guinea pig disease. I still play the sims 1, but I’m not buying this pack out of principle.

It's so weird to me. They call it "My First Pet". I think a first pet dying must have a pretty big impact on a kid. Why wasn't a sad emotion when a rodent dies added in the game? Shouldn't it be extra important to add it since it's a sims's first pet? Again, I just don't understand any decision that was made for this pack.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
    NickSims wrote: »

It's so weird to me. They call it "My First Pet". I think a first pet dying must have a pretty big impact on a kid. Why wasn't a sad emotion when a rodent dies added in the game? Shouldn't it be extra important to add it since it's a sims's first pet? Again, I just don't understand any decision that was made for this pack.

Exactly. My first pet that wasn’t our family dogs or cats was a budgie. I was so upset when he died. I think “too much negativity” is a poor excuse for not including it.

Exactly. My first pet that wasn’t our family dogs or cats was a budgie. I was so upset when he died. I think “too much negativity” is a poor excuse for not including it.

It is because people complain when things are "too sad" or negative. That's why when they made cats and dogs they could only die of old age. A lot of people complained they didn't want to always see there cats and dogs sick and to die from that sickness. That's why a lot of things get nerfed. I personally like the realism and think that pets should be able to die from things other then old age but eh.
    Cheekybits wrote: »

It is because people complain when things are "too sad" or negative. That's why when they made cats and dogs they could only die of old age. A lot of people complained they didn't want to always see there cats and dogs sick and to die from that sickness. That's why a lot of things get nerfed. I personally like the realism and think that pets should be able to die from things other then old age but eh.

Oh i know there would be feedback. But did they not think there would be feedback about a sim not caring about their pet dying?particularly if it’s in the title is their first pet? A game that claims it has the most emotional sims ever should care! They should react.
    edited March 2018

Plus there are ways around the bad stuff. Don't save. Save a family update to your gallery saves every or every other sim day (probably obvious but if something does happen, delete the family, and add in the saved one). Turn off aging.
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories

Plus there are ways around the bad stuff. Don't save. Save a family update to your gallery saves every or every other sim day (probably obvious but if something does happen, delete the family, and add in the saved one). Turn off aging.

Oh I agree, or even just take care of you're pet its not too hard to do. They just need to stop making safe content. By all means I do understand there are people who dislike there pets dieing because of the lack of care but they already added that treat that makes your pet not get sick. Sims 4 is too happy. Are we not going to get thunder because it might scare people? I'm all for diversity but its not very diverse. What about the people that want to have more risk in the game.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

You can check out this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/936664/early-access-thread-for-my-first-pet-eagamechangers-monday-march-12th/p1

Anyway it's even more disappointing than I expected it could be lol ... :disappointed: Oh well, what's done is done. Kinda hoping people will stand their ground on this.

Oh I agree, or even just take care of you're pet its not too hard to do. They just need to stop making safe content. By all means I do understand there are people who dislike there pets dieing because of the lack of care but they already added that treat that makes your pet not get sick. Sims 4 is too happy. Are we not going to get thunder because it might scare people? I'm all for diversity but its not very diverse. What about the people that want to have more risk in the game.

And it's an easy balance to fix. Provide us with at least two options (treats work perfect for those who don't want pets to die or be brainiacs). :D
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I may also add, I hate how they are removing content that deem too much, like a dang hamster dying...geez, when did the sims because this always happy place?? I swear I loved the old games ... I mean, they won't add burglars cuz it scares people..I admit the TS1 music of a burglar etc. scared me but I also liked stuff like that/..also how they fixed vampires from never breaking in anymore (SERIOUSLY?!)....why are people so sensitive nowadays??? Geez, it's ruining the original spark and quirkiness of the sims...sorry not sorry.

And it's an easy balance to fix. Provide us with at least two options (treats work perfect for those who don't want pets to die or be brainiacs). :D

Yes, there is so much they can do to fix it. Heck make an option for safe death or normal death mode I don't know is it really that hard? I don't understand why they won't. Are they afraid of getting sued?
    I may also add, I hate how they are removing content that deem too much, like a dang hamster dying...geez, when did the sims because this always happy place?? I swear I loved the old games ... I mean, they won't add burglars cuz it scares people..I admit the TS1 music of a burglar etc. scared me but I also liked stuff like that/..also how they fixed vampires from never breaking in anymore (SERIOUSLY?!)....why are people so sensitive nowadays??? Geez, it's ruining the original spark and quirkiness of the sims...sorry not sorry.

It makes the game soooo boring to have everything work out. I can keep my game running and not even play and everything will work out. Sims 5 will sims not be aloud to die? Because people are so sensitive.