We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to manage vampires/supernaturals

ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hello everyone hope your day has been good so far :)
This is a poll @Hermitgirl suggested to be made regarding the best way to manage how supernatural features should be managed in game. For any who don't know this ties to a discussion here and the news that vampire break ins were removed as a feature. Although this topic is about vampires I think this can include any occult state.

@SimGuruNinja has expressed an interest in collecting feedback on how to reach a compromise so I figured this was a good poll to set up to help collect said feedback. Now it was stated that toggles aren't quite possible at the present moment
Vampires still come to visit you; they just don't autonomously bite. We didn't turn off all vamp visits; just the initial 100% guaranteed one that resulted in a fictional bite (that didn't actually turn you into a vampire).

As always, we're listening to y'all. We're always fixing bugs and providing tuning updates to make as many people happy as possible. In this case, we are trying to fix bugs and clean up a spot in the vamp pack that has consistently been a sore spot for many. We're not weakening the powers or the progression in any way.

We can probably also do another tuning pass to only trigger this event in the Vampire World. So if you move into that world, the vamp sneak in bite could happen, but in the other worlds it wouldn't. Thoughts on that? That is a possible solution to help alleviate some of the feedback in this thread. I don't know if that is enough for this crowd, but it's certainly something feasible I could try and act on. I don't have the bandwidth to create new features around this area right now (toggles and the like).

Thanks for hanging in there. Sorry to make anyone unhappy. The exact opposite of what we try to do.
So that isn't going to be an option here despite it being commonly suggested. Quite frankly the lot trait options might count as toggles but I'm not sure so I'm adding them in here.
Without further ado the options:
Edit: I forgot to add the option of having vampire break ins limited to Forgotten Hallow! Sorry guys, I can't edit the poll now. :#
Post edited by Shadowmarked on

How to manage vampires/supernaturals 63 votes

A lot trait that would make it so occult events could occur on a lot (lots default to events being off)
11% 7 votes
A lot trait that would disallow occult events on a lot (lots default to events being on)
30% 19 votes
A way to cancel out an occult event similar to how the welcome Wagon currently works
46% 29 votes
Keep the random occult events removed from the game
1% 1 vote
Other: Any other suggestions or modifications to the above options, please explain
11% 7 votes

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Toggle :) if that's not possible then I think the lot trait or cancelable events are a good second, but this will continue to be a problem and I doubt people want to use multiple lot traits to prevent multiple supernaturals, whereas they may also not want one to prevent them all if they like aliens but not vampires etc.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I originally thought lot traits was the way to go.. and I'd be fine with that by the way... But I can see why Simguruninja is offering to make it an event we can cancel better now. Mostly through reading posts from others like @SimTrippy. Less mess and fuss and it can apply going forward. It sounds like you'd have to be on your toes though and be ready to cancel the event as soon as it starts. Either way I hope there is an answer to this that can please and cater to most play styles.
    Thanks for making the poll @BeJaWa my brain is fried and I'm still awake anyway.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Out of all the suggestions, I think being given the option to cancel the event like the Welcome Wagon is the best choice. I reckon many people wouldn't want to use a lot trait to attract or keep them away so this one seems like the most reasonable. The invasions never bothered me so I'd hate to see them gone completely. In my experience invasions never happened so frequently where they were a problem. But I like vampires and like them doing vampire-y things. :D
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited March 2018
    The option to cancel the event is only acceptable on here.
    Or just make it as it was when the pack came out.

People who had seen the trailer/red the info of the pack knew what they were getting before they bought the pack. People who didn't like that feature should be the ones who should "suffer" instead of deleting the feature. They could mod their game, uninstall the pack or something else. I understand that it's frustrating when Vampires are breaking into a public lot and you can't leave that lot or save during that "event". But instead of deleting a feature that was promoted in a pack teaser and promoted in Twitter/Forums they should have fixed that bug.

And doing all this behind players back is just unforgettable(no notes about this in patch notes etc). I honestly wonder if that's even legal? I wonder if we could get our money back after this false advertising..?

This thing takes the word low into a whole new level. I hope that players are gonna boycott all the new DLC that comes out until this gets fixed.
    We need to show how strongly we players feel toward this kinda behaviour. Or they might do this again and again to any new feature that comes with new DLC because few people didn't like them..

Edited because of my spelling errors. Thanks again dyslexia.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,282 Member
    edited March 2018
    Just for the record I voted "lot trait that disables occult events", but, yes, that would eat up a slot, so it's perhaps not the ideal solution.

How about cloning the garlic wreath's tuning and attaching it to a plant, statue or painting?

Garlic wreaths keeps vampires from entering people's houses, so no unwanted visitors and no neckbites. But I understand that players wouldn't want garlic deco in every house, especially not in realistic or semi-realistic saves! So a humble hedge, bush, flower or stone that does the same might work better.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't want to lose the randomness. Having a lot trait to allow it seems a lot like player initiation. Where as having a lot trait to disallow it keeps it random for those who want it to happen as it can happen anytime anywhere but players who don't like it are protected.
    Post edited by Pamtastic72 on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Just say no
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I like the cancel option the most. If I don't want to be bothered just hit X and continue sleeping.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    A toggle for supernaturals continues to make the most sense.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When did anyone ever get to cancel Bandit? Where have those days gone? I don't want rainbows and unicorns. I dare say The Sims would have never been the hit it was if those playing today had anything to do with it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to my principle of random, non cancelable events for 'The Sims' roots.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    When did anyone ever get to cancel Bandit? Where have those days gone? I don't want rainbows and unicorns. I dare say The Sims would have never been the hit it was if those playing today had anything to do with it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to my principle of random, non cancelable events for 'The Sims' roots.

I'm right there with you!
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    If the attacked sim or another member of the household can't fight the vampire and have no chance to defend themselves, then I'd rather be able to cancel the action like the welcome Wagon.

I don't understand why in the first place, we could never fight back the vampire. We could fight the burglars, why is it different for the vampires ?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I'm right there with you!

Well, you know, don't want vampires, don't buy a pack about vampires. Forget clothes, clothes are free in the custom content section.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    edited March 2018
    Edit: 'A way to cancel out an occult event similar to how the welcome Wagon currently works'

Please NO lot trait! Ugh, we only have 3 as it is.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,420 Member
    No no no, no lot traits for something as silly as canceling out occult events. We only have three slots per lot as is, why waste a slot for that when we only have just 3 slots? Instead, just simply be able to cancel the occult interaction when it happens, like with alien abductions and vampire break-ins. Though, I think if you manually reset the Sim(s) involved, it cancels the occult event anyway.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Cancelling the event like the welcome wagon, if applicable, could probably then be used on alien abductions, and future supernatural/other 'event' nonsense as well. Why in the world this wasn't done to begin with (since the welcome wagon is a base game event before all the rest of this, to base it on) is beyond me.

Seems like the best option. I really hope they look into it, and keep it in mind for the next game/packs.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Toggle, toggle, toggle! Some love the unexpected events and some are offended of the invasive nature of such events. We should all respect each others’ wants. So why not just put in a panel in the option menu (that varies from savegame to save game) which players can opt ON or OFF the occults and things they want in that game.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think going forward .. They really should look into how to stop events easily for people that want the pack for various reasons but don't always want the intrusion in their game.
    For me that means I'll want to play with select supernaturals in certain worlds only. I don't mind seeing them on the street ect.. but I don't want them to be intrusive in my sims lives unless invited.
    I know for others that means they want to utilize the build/buy that comes with the stuff.
    What if they made a post apocalypse zombie pack? I know I'd want all the stuff to make other possibilities in my game unrelated to zombies, but most certainly wouldn't want zombies in every game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I would just like an object or an action that my Sims can utilize to keep the Supernaturals away. Lot traits would have been good. Except, there are only three slots for lot traits. I would hate to have to give up one of those precious slots just to keep occults away. We'd end up running out of slots.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,420 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I would just like an object or an action that my Sims can utilize to keep the Supernaturals away. Lot traits would have been good. Except, there are only three slots for lot traits. I would hate to have to give up one of those precious slots just to keep occults away. We'd end up running out of slots.

Another easy solution to having only 3 lot trait slots is to also give us more lot trait slots.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

Another easy solution to having only 3 lot trait slots is to also give us more lot trait slots.

If only. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg