Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycling old content and a lack of creativity in development

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Even the presentation is different: Late Night releases a new type of Hot Tub, and no it's not blasted all over the streams and trailers as though the hot tub is somehow a "major" selling point of the pack. They new it was minor and kept it as such. The same cannot be said for these Food stands, as making "new cultural food" is practically becoming a running gag at this point.

Also, this the pure sign you have no idea what you're talking about. Hot Tubs were on the FRONT and BACK cover of Late Night;

The-Sims-3-Late-Night-Free-Full-Game.jpg

I cannot DEAL with people who don't even research what they're talking about. You didn't even know about the professions bug before I mentioned it, and you can't even tell us what bugs are in all 3 of the ownable business's.
    I actually remember the advertising for Late Night and the focus of that picture was that they could sit in their hot tub on the roof of a really high building, overlooking the city (which was very new to the franchise I think?). Not the hot tub itself.

And as for doing research before you talk, you never reacted to my clearly edited camp base in Egypt after you said camp bases weren’t editable in Sims 3.

They weren't editable until the Ambitions Edit World patch. That's what I said :)
    You enter "Edit Town" mode and then click on the World icon, that takes you to the world. Before then, we only had access to the Vacation worlds, while on Vacation.

I didn't say we never got it, I said we had to wait and it wasn't included when the pack came out.

--

Also, the trailers for CL, C&D and JA only feature Food Stalls in split second appearances. Not as often as Hot Tubs were advertised for TS3. So it still makes no sense.

That isn’t true. You could load into any vacation world from edit world in Sims 3. The Ambitions patch added the world editing tools and the ability to place new lots in game, it didn’t add in the ability to edit destinations.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    OP.
    This post is why EA never got another dime from me after GTW, & never will.
    And a Sims 5? Not on your life.
    I've had enough.

Thisss!
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    I hate seeing recycled stuff when I've bought a new pack. Paying twice (or more) for the same content (even though it might just be a small part of it), you can't exactly be happy about that.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    For me the point of this topic (and issue) lies in this paragraph:
    My personal stance on recycling content goes like this: if a pack manages to deliver quality content, then recycling existing content can be warranted if smaller features are recycled. If someone pointed out content that Vampires recycled for example, I would hesitate to pass judgement because Vampires was a solid pack. I have no way of knowing why they chose to recycle it, but I believe in good faith and benefit of the doubt, so if the pack is solid and there's recycled content, I'll assume they needed to recycle content so they could focus on putting more effort elsewhere.

And the fact they apparently recycled something that doesn’t function right (I have no experience with those careers though, so I take a step back as to if that’s actually the case here). The ivy is a bit easy from a developer’s perspective (at least change something about it, if only the colour), but as far as I’m concerned not a disaster to be honest. I agree with @Cynna concerning the tomb raiding.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    From another thread:
    Fredra wrote: »
    About "new" staff, that was first thing I notice when Jungle adventure come out:
    row6v1dpvum2.jpg
    orange - Jungle Adventure
    blue - Outdoor Retreat
    violet - Vampires
    non - Base Game

And now same story is happen. The corner couch, cat scratchers, pets beds and boxes are just re-colors selling as a new objects.
    h9wh2udy7tap.jpg

New chairs and desk are accidentally perfect fitted to the bed and commode with paws. It's seem to be pretty obvious that part of staff was cut from game pack.
    lee186tgkvm0.jpg
    I felt bad after buying Laundry Stuff because it's only washing machines and few furnitures, but finally I really enjoy it. The new one is too much for me, no way I bought it even for the amazing aquarium

Also worth mentioning the staff is on twitter trying to claim the hamster is like 4-5 different pets due to reskins.

This is precisely what I mean...

Wow, that is shocking, really shocking. Is it me or have they been recycling more and more stuff recently? It seems like most of the objects in this pack are recolours/reskins, or "new" objects that were clearly meant to be part of a set in C&D. But nice one to the person who made the comparison photos, thanks for easily pointing it all out.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I agree with a lot of recycling. It's sad that I could predict half the pack before it came out. 1) New Collectables that don't do anything 2) New venue that's not really new 3) New Foods - I personally never cared about what a sim eats

A clue to see if there are actual new ideas in the pack, is to see what has been added to the "club" menu in Get Together and then evaluate that. I think Jungle Adventures didn't have anything new added to the clubs, so I skipped buying the pack. I might pick it up when it goes on sale.
  • Options
    kismetkismet Posts: 61 Member
    I'd love to interject on this conversation but it's already rolling along so I'm just going to read.
  • Options
    EverlyseEverlyse Posts: 9 New Member
    You know what's *mind boggling* to me? They want to make money and we simmers, I do believe have shown, that we are definitely willing to shell it out. At this point, we would probably be willing to spend a bit more money on an expansion pack, game pack, OR stuff pack that was truly unique, creative, innovative, and had plenty of content for us to play with instead of just giving us content from previous Sims games and saying..."Look what you get to pay for again! Oh, but we split it up.". Am I the only one who thinks they should've had most of what we had in the Sims 3 already in the Sims 4 base game so they would have to give us different expansions? Things like weather, laundry, holidays, and things of that nature and THEN make stuff packs/game packs adding more onto those aspects while expansion packs actually...felt, like you know, an expansion? Geebus. :/
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2018
    Everlyse wrote: »
    You know what's *mind boggling* to me? They want to make money and we simmers, I do believe have shown, that we are definitely willing to shell it out. At this point, we would probably be willing to spend a bit more money on an expansion pack, game pack, OR stuff pack that was truly unique, creative, innovative, and had plenty of content for us to play with instead of just giving us content from previous Sims games and saying..."Look what you get to pay for again! Oh, but we split it up.". Am I the only one who thinks they should've had most of what we had in the Sims 3 already in the Sims 4 base game so they would have to give us different expansions? Things like weather, laundry, holidays, and things of that nature and THEN make stuff packs/game packs adding more onto those aspects while expansion packs actually...felt, like you know, an expansion? Geebus. :/

I do agree that certain things should be added in the base game. For example, weather (not Seasons, weather) and collections.

Things like likes/dislikes, failure states and such should be part of the base game. Those things are the features that help to solidify a Sim's personality. It shouldn't be necessary to keep waiting for them year after year, every time that a new game is released.
    zubrowkas wrote: »
    It might be worth something for the devs of TS4 to remind EA of that instead of defending and aiding the monstrosity this franchise is becoming.

In principle, I agree with what you're saying. However, in reality, people have got to eat.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited March 2018
    Ever since TS4 came out there's been a lot of talking about how bad its engine is. I think the amount of recycling going on is yet another sign of that. They're limited in how many new things they can implement, so they stick to what's already part of the game and just tweak it. Vampires was something fresh, and oddly enough, it came out around the time TS4's sales were in a rather poor condition... Looks to me like they gave us something so good just to get on good terms with players who turned their back on them, and then it was back to the usual. This just makes me angrier because we've been sampled the actual potential of 4 and nothing came out of it. No more brand new concepts and ideas, only re-skins sold in a pretty packaging. That's also why EPs lack features so much.

I don't mind rehashing objects, it's the animations that bug me the most. No sims game has made me bored so quickly before. You get sick of watching the same old thing over and over. The same socials, dancing, I see parts of animations I recognize from base game times in the new ones we're getting... Unacceptable AND boring. Games are fueled by animations and they're skimping out on them so much it makes TS4 forgettable and annoying in the long run. I'm not able to play it in long session and I typically have to take month long breaks just so I don't get too irritated with how little there's actually in it. And mind you this game is 4 years old.
    Post edited by agustd on
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm curious to know where are the millions of dollar we "invested" in The Sims 4.

Is it a part of the $3.1 billion held overseas ? For sure, they weren't used in the development.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    OP.
    This post is why EA never got another dime from me after GTW, & never will.
    And a Sims 5? Not on your life.
    I've had enough.

Same here.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

I've been saying that for a while now. I mean, honestly at this point in the game the base should come with weather, cars, open world, CASt, pets, laundry, and the base items that have been around since Sims 1. I mean, way back then we got dishwashers as part of the base. Yet we didn't with Sims 4. Did we have to pay for dishwashers? I can't remember, or did they give them to us via a patch?

epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I've been saying that for a while now. I mean, honestly at this point in the game the base should come with weather, cars, open world, CASt, pets, laundry, and the base items that have been around since Sims 1. I mean, way back then we got dishwashers as part of the base. Yet we didn't with Sims 4. Did we have to pay for dishwashers? I can't remember, or did they give them to us via a patch?

We got them patched in.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top