Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have vampires been nerfed?

I started a new game a few days ago, and aside from a call from Vlad at the start, I've had no vampire contact at all. I've seen the premade ones in the game (Vlad's a restaurant host), but there've been no visits. When I played before, I usually had at least one break in by the time the first week was over.

Comments

• poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    it's always been like that in my game.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Huh. It's been awhile since I played, but I always had the call from Vlad then a break in a few days later. I'll try researching vampire lore to see if that triggers vampires. Honestly, if that works, it's a good change. I love vampires, but occasionally I like having a game without them.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    Think it is random. I used to see them every night with at least two break ins a week before I modded the game to not allow the vampires to ever leave their one world.
    Think it is random. I used to see them every night with at least two break ins a week before I modded the game to not allow the vampires to ever leave their one world.

I don't know; I used to get a lot, now none. I just wonder if they slipped in a change at some point and didn't put it in the patch notes. It wouldn't be the first time they did that.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Good question. I used to see the Vatore siblings break in my sims homes all the time. Haven't lately. Maybe because Caleb is now married and Lillith has a boyfriend?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    sounds like you originally got the 'assaults' that a lot complain about, but are currently getting the 'peace and quiet' that is all i've ever seen. occasionally, i'll get a vampire knocking on the door at midnight or so, wanting to hang out. only had one attack in the past few months, and that guy wound up getting stymied by a locked bedroom door, so he wound up cleaning the house for me (i've been setting bedrooms to 'locked to all but household' just because. and it paid off then)

also, just because it's required, this soon after the pack came out (plus some simmers are indeed taking vlad, caleb, and lilith on jungle trips): they're busy exploring the jungle alongside everyone else! so, the locals are becoming snacks, not the unsuspecting people in the houses back in 'civilization'
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    They come to my door regularly at night. I do not have mods or cc currently and a fairly fresh install. I've had one break in.. it does seem like I use to have more but also sometimes it's random... some saves my sim is lucky about break ins.
    egTcBMc.png
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I've had one break-in happened on a test save with my simself only a week before JA came out. It was Lilith, but I locked the front door so hah! She left when the sun finally came up and she started burning up.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I started a new game a few months ago and never answered any vampires at the door or studied them. I play rotationally and have even rotated to playing Vlad.

Anyway, I rotated to The Roomies and had visits to the door almost every night. I rotated to Johnny Zest and the visits still happened. However, I then rotated to the Landgraabs and the visits stopped. And so far, no break-ins.

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I started a new save a few weeks ago, about the time of the quarterly teaser because I liked the jungle theme. I started out with a teen living on her own in a San Myshuno apartment; I got the phone call, and Vlad showed up at my door but he didn't break in. Then my Sim encountered him at one of the festivals and they strongly disliked each other. Other than being friends with a game generated vampire my Sim hasn't had much to do with them (she's got the Unflirty trait so probably will be a spinster; I've already adopted her heir). Might have her daughter make friends with and eventually get turned by the local vamps, just for a change of pace.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    I just started a new save about 2 weeks ago and have vampires at my Sims door all the time.
    Ah, okay, it must be my save then. How odd.
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited March 2018
    I had a break in right before the new patch came out, but none since. I started a new save after the patch and moved a sim into Forgotten Hollow. I maxed her vampire lore, introduced her to vampires, gave all the vampires I could find the eternally welcome power, and left her door unlocked, but none of them will break in. I housed several of them so they wouldn't be culled, and now they're swarming all over Forgotten Hollow night and day, but they completely ignore my sim.

I thought I remembered them saying when the pack first came out that after the initial vampire tutorial, vampire contact would depend on the player. If we wanted it, then read the vampire tomes and interact with vampires. If we didn't want it, then don't read the tomes and don't interact with vampires. This would be the perfect solution, if it worked.

I realize I don't understand programming, but is it really that hard to program vampire break ins to be triggered by the tomes and vampire interactions and not triggered if we leave these things alone? I don't want my options to be taken away. I want to chose to have break ins if I want them, and not if I don't.

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    I had a break in right before the new patch came out, but none since. I started a new save after the patch and moved a sim into Forgotten Hollow. I maxed her vampire lore, introduced her to vampires, gave all the vampires I could find the eternally welcome power, and left her door unlocked, but none of them will break in. I housed several of them so they wouldn't be culled, and now they're swarming all over Forgotten Hollow night and day, but they completely ignore my sim.

I thought I remembered them saying when the pack first came out that after the initial vampire tutorial, vampire contact would depend on the player. If we wanted it, then read the vampire tomes and interact with vampires. If we didn't want it, then don't read the tomes and don't interact with vampires. This would be the perfect solution, if it worked.

I realize I don't understand programming, but is it really that hard to program vampire break ins to be triggered by the tomes and vampire interactions and not triggered if we leave these things alone? I don't want my options to be taken away. I want to chose to have break ins if I want them, and not if I don't.

I never interacted with vampires, never did the vampire lore skill, and never even used the talking points about vampires to other npc. I believe this forced them to constantly visit and have 2 more breaks ins a week. I still think it is randomized though, so that is why I modded it out of my own game. I only wanted the build/buy mode items amd thought not interacting with any vampires or the skill would get them to just leave my sims alone entirely. That was not the case.

I never interacted with vampires, never did the vampire lore skill, and never even used the talking points about vampires to other npc. I believe this forced them to constantly visit and have 2 more breaks ins a week. I still think it is randomized though, so that is why I modded it out of my own game. I only wanted the build/buy mode items amd thought not interacting with any vampires or the skill would get them to just leave my sims alone entirely. That was not the case.

The main reason I bought the pack was for the build/buy items too, but I did want an occasional save with the vampires themselves - just not all of them. I guess what bothers me the most about TS4 is the lack of options. We're either saturated with certain features or they don't work at all. There doesn't seem to be any in-between and no choice.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Actual break-ins are rare though they have happened including recently. More frequently, the vampires stand outside the door. The noisy dog will bark at the vampire who is knocking at the glass door which does seem realistic. I tend to ignore them but I have one playable vampire, Max Villareal, in my game. I plan to make a female vampire playable in my game as well (not really as a romantic match for Max, that would be too obvious - probably more as a rival). I haven't gotten around to that yet but they don't age so they have time.

I edit all of the townie vamps so that they are all really good-looking. Other than the Vatores, they are all aggressive, but I keep them as very beautiful, anachronistic and eerie. It makes it easy for me to keep track of them. They don't turn up in the local high school; they are all an aloof and elite club. Plasma fruit is always very much a second choice in terms of their meal preferences. I guess I tend to think of them as mostly invisible because they really avoid being noticed.

In the case of Max Villareal, he disappeared when he became a YA. He had a devoted teen sweetheart but he ghosted her completely even though he still loved her because he did not want her to know what he had become. She's now a doctor and still has no idea what happened to him. He isn't willing to make her his victim and he has a string of new acquaintances that he invites over for plasma among other things. They just think he is a mysterious, wealthy bachelor and they never remember the events of their visits which they attribute to excessive drinking ... not an entirely inaccurate guess. The only ones who know what has happened to him are his brother and sister, Hugo and Luna. Luna especially helped him transition and Hugo gave him a very large inheritance with regular access to the family investments. They don't tell anyone else, even their spouses because they are a very private and secretive family. Max's vampirism is very much linked to the insanity that has been a problem in their family. When they die, things will be set up so that no one else will know.

Max is going to have a lot of grief though as he loses the few people in his life that he is close to. There's always Vlad though, who considers Max to be one of the only sims that he tolerates as a social companion which is why he turned him. He'll be willing to play chess and music from time to time over the centuries. Anyway, the vamps in my game haven't really been nerfed. If I wanted to, I could invite them in more often. Maybe I will in future generations when vampires are just a rumor.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru
    Felicity wrote: »
    I started a new game a few days ago, and aside from a call from Vlad at the start, I've had no vampire contact at all. I've seen the premade ones in the game (Vlad's a restaurant host), but there've been no visits. When I played before, I usually had at least one break in by the time the first week was over.

It was nerfed. You'll still get vamp visitors, but the break-ins w/ a bite shouldn't occur. We had lots of feedback given to us on this specific event.

It was nerfed. You'll still get vamp visitors, but the break-ins w/ a bite shouldn't occur. We had lots of feedback given to us on this specific event.

Thank you so much for answering. I have to admit, I'm disappointed that it was taken out, but at least I know it's working as intended.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Well that is a huge disappointment on my end.
    A large part of why I got the pack was for the added danger that vamps provided. This is why I don't like the constant patches, I bought the pack one way now it functions another. :disappointed:
    Bye Bye break ins. :'(:'(
    I'm disappointed it was removed, as well. It would have been nice if it could have been triggered by specific events so that the players could choose when we wanted it and when we didn't. But thanks for lettings us know. I've spent a lot of real-time hours the last few days trying to trigger a break-in. Now I'll come up with a different plan. :)

• SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Well that is a huge disappointment on my end.
    A large part of why I got the pack was for the added danger that vamps provided. This is why I don't like the constant patches, I bought the pack one way now it functions another. :disappointed:
    Bye Bye break ins. :'(:'(

Keep in mind that they were never really dangerous. You'd get bit, but they never turned your sim into a vamp. But even still, it still confused and scared a lot of players. Folks also really didn't like how you couldn't travel or save during this situation and there was no way to end it yourself. I understand that some players really enjoyed this aspect of the fiction so I apologize if it slightly waters down your experience. Hopefully it isn't a major deal breaker and there's still plenty of... bite... in this pack. :smiley:

(I'll see myself out now)
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

That's unfortunate. I bought the pack for the added element of random weird things happening in my game and I specifically created a new save for that to happen. I wanted alien abductions, vamp break-ins and everything weird that the sims has to offer to happen in one big, crazy, save.

But I get none of it. No aliens. No vamps. What's the point of creating a pack to cater to the weird if you drop the weird? I don't play the sims to play little white picket house with happy joy joy family time and laundry.

This is not fair to those of us who wanted to use the in game elements like the satellite and freezeray, or the garlic rings and things that were GIVEN in game to combat the weird!
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I can't believe folk who wanted the vampire pack only for the CAS items won and ruined our fun.

I can see the same thing happening with Jungle Adventure so I'm not buying it.

It's awful! The randomness that people want in this game is being nerfed out by those that only want to play house!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top