Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Archaeology makes it too easy to make money

While I love the new skill, I am finding it WAY too easy! Almost every single artifact I find is genuine and worth dough. I already found two RARE plates worth over 10,000 each! I really wish they'd balanced it more. I like a bit of a challenge in my game. This skill is officially the easiest to make a profit. It would be nice if in the future they did an update which made it more difficult to find the valuable items. Not to mention my sim is already at level 7 archaeology skill. This game always has had a problem with easy/hard balance and always leans on the very easy side. What do you guys think???

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree. From one trip which lasted 5 days maximum my sim made nearly 20,000 simoleans, got to level 8 Archaeology skill and maxed her culture skill.

I was surprised at how much money she made. Going on holiday costs of course but providing you look for artifacts you will earn a ton of money. She only came across two counterfeits and even they were worth 342 simoleans.
  • Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think it depends on the sim and your luck, though.

I made a new sim and sent him into the jungle for only 3 days, I didn't excavate every single dirt pile I came across and only explored one temple. Walked away with 2k simoleans from finishing the temple, and one rare 8k artifact, everything else was only worth a couple hundred simoleans since they were of poor quality. And I only got to about level 4 archaeology.

EDIT: Would also like to add that if you make your sim purchase a ton of supplies before heading out, on top of the cost of vacationing, you do spend quite a bit. While not totally balanced, I think of it more as an investment for a big pay off sort of situation. i.e. spend 2-3k with the potential to make 10k
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    well you don't have to sell the items just collect them and display them, but then you can always cheat away money, say they paid taxes or something.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    20k in the sims is not very much if you have decent size house. My sims bills cost about 8.5k. My sim went on vacation with his sister who is an archeologist with a decent skill. There goal was to make at least 60k so her brother can move out into a nice house on his own.They spent about 3.5k on vacation for 5 days and only found 2 reals work about 10k one 5k. If anything I’d say there trip was expensive.

Realistically if you become a archeologists you make a lot of money if you do find good stuff. High risk = good payout. But OP you were lucky, cause my sims found a bunch of broken vase, got cursed from one treasure and the last one was a bunny looking relic 1 out of the 4 were real and a plate worth 10k.

Plus if you get too much money just have your sims donate it to a charity.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am actually glad the Sims can make decent money. One of my Sims is going to be an archaeologist and he may not make it to the jungle every rotation. At least he will have enough to sustain a couple of rotations before heading back out.

The first Sims I sent into the jungle only came back with like 1k worth of items..LOL I was wondering if my archaeologist would be able to make a living and keep his home.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Meh, there's plenty of more time-efficient ways to make money than this. I think all considered, since the sims are taking time off work, have to pay for the vacation and supplies, and are risking their lives to find the treasure, it's not too bad.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    Should be more of a consequence for selling sacred artifacts like getting cursed or worse. :naughty:

Wouldn't mind a slight tweak in lowering the chance of finding rare items Though most items my Sims find are just for viewing anyway since they aren't a tomb raider/adventurer.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I don't mind. It's just another way for your sim to be self employed. I'm already thinking about starting a new game to do just that.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I am glad there’s another way to make big bucks but I do agree they tend to go too easy. You can literally get your sim rich so easily in this game and I wish it was more of a challenge. It should be a chance thing like they could make money from artifacts or be fined for not donating a rare piece to a museum or someting like that.

It’s the same with painting, writing and even gardening (though they did adjust that some) It starts off realistic but then all the sudden your sim is a young adult millionaire.

It would be nice if in future games you can’t just “click” and sell and actually have to bring your wares to a sale or flea market of some type and sell them.

With writing and freelance programming it could
    Be based on skill and popularity how much you earn.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I agree it's a fairly easy high payout (my sim had only about 2k left, but ended up with 18k worth of items after about 5 days), yet it's stressful too.

My sim was attacked by bees, spiders, bats, set on fire, felt sick from eating the food, and electrocuted. (And almost died permanently because I accidentally saved in the wrong spot - right before she was about to try to enter the electrified temple a second time... got out of it by hitting the "M" key right away upon reloading... phew!!). I'm going to sell about half of her loot and keep the other for decorations in her house, which of course will increase her bills.

I do wish there was a way for sims to spend and/or lose larger chunks of money more easily. Pricey cars, or losing in the stock market, or some financial chance cards. But I'm glad the bills are higher in this version.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    My sim found 2 artifacts worth 8k on his first trip, which he ended up displaying in his home. It's true that our sims did use up money and their days off for this and risked their lives, so the payoff is worth it, although I guess they could tune it down for balance. If my sims ended up with a huge haul every trip, it would make earning money through adventuring too easy. I think an element of risk would round it out, but that's just me. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • j3n1ynj3n1yn Posts: 70 Member
    Agreed. My Sim came home with 30k after a 7 day trip and ended up with lvl 8 archeology skill. I like the idea of "paying" some money into taxes or donating to charity.
  • Curls4LifeCurls4Life Posts: 70 Member
    Having a max-skill painter sims and a max-skill author sim as a family is waaaay more OP. Every day, I get 4-5k from my writer and roughly the same from my painter. That's 10k+ everyday day for very little effort!
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    Come on guys, OP is describing a valid complaint that will probably be fixed soon, some of you guys are so adamant on defending the game, it's ok, but please avoid saying things like "It's not that bad", it's a problem, it doesn't makes the game unplayable, OP is just letting the devs know so they can fix it.

If there's one thing The Sims 4 does better than every other The Sims game that is balancing and the devs did show a lot of times in the past that they do care about this.
    Curls4Life wrote: »
    Having a max-skill painter sims and a max-skill author sim as a family is waaaay more OP. Every day, I get 4-5k from my writer and roughly the same from my painter. That's 10k+ everyday day for very little effort!

Are you cheating and/or minmaxing with rewards, clubs and environmental items?

I definitely wouldn't consider Writing to be OP, it easily costs a Sim his/her day and until you achieve a high skill it pays really bad, it's only good for the Book of Life.
    Painting was already nerfed once, it's still one of the best methods of gaining money, but I don't know if it's really too much right now.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I welcome any way to make easy money because I do not find it that easy to make a living in this game :) So thanks for the heads up! Now who do i sell the artifacts to?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The new skill is fun though
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I welcome any way to make easy money because I do not find it that easy to make a living in this game :) So thanks for the heads up! Now who do i sell the artifacts to?

You sell it to your inventory. I've heard you can also sell your finds at a retail store.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    Come on guys, OP is describing a valid complaint that will probably be fixed soon, some of you guys are so adamant on defending the game, it's ok, but please avoid saying things like "It's not that bad", it's a problem, it doesn't makes the game unplayable, OP is just letting the devs know so they can fix it.

If there's one thing The Sims 4 does better than every other The Sims game that is balancing and the devs did show a lot of times in the past that they do care about this.
    Curls4Life wrote: »

Are you cheating and/or minmaxing with rewards, clubs and environmental items?

I definitely wouldn't consider Writing to be OP, it easily costs a Sim his/her day and until you achieve a high skill it pays really bad, it's only good for the Book of Life.
    Painting was already nerfed once, it's still one of the best methods of gaining money, but I don't know if it's really too much right now.

No one is “defending the game” in my game I haven’t found that much rares only 2 out of 15 that one cost 9k one cost about 10k the rest less then 1k. It’s true ops game can be glitched or could be lucky. Not everyone has had that much luck in finding good stuff. Op said “what do you guys think” so they want to hear us out see our experience. Not everyone considers this “broken” and not everyone plays the same.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited March 2018

What are you talking about? The OP literally asked us "What do you think?", and people are telling them what they think. Naturally, some agree, and some disagree. It has nothing to do with "defending the game" or putting down his thoughts. But obviously, if someone doesn't see it as bad, doesn't see it as a problem, and doesn't think it's something that needs to be fixed, they're going to say it.

In my opinion, it's too easy to make money in the game in general. But considering there are plenty of other ways to make way more money than archaeology in way less time, I'm not seeing it as an issue that needs to be "fixed" by itself.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Well, my sim did not make a lot of money. She got quite a few artifacts, most poor quality which she sold. She's just barely paying for her trip. The fishing was more profitable.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Well think of it this way: Your adventures in Selvadorada can essentially pay off your whole vacation! ;)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    It is a little overwhelming , but I am letting my new save up for a vet clinic (I haven't done this yet),,,and I have 59k all from artifacts and treasure...so I look at that as a good thing...but if I wasn't playing for saving up for something I would find it too easy so I somewhat agree.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member

What are you talking about? The OP literally asked us "What do you think?", and people are telling them what they think. Naturally, some agree, and some disagree. It has nothing to do with "defending the game" or putting down his thoughts. But obviously, if someone doesn't see it as bad, doesn't see it as a problem, and doesn't think it's something that needs to be fixed, they're going to say it.

In my opinion, it's too easy to make money in the game in general. But considering there are plenty of other ways to make way more money than archaeology in way less time, I'm not seeing it as an issue that needs to be "fixed" by itself.

OP asked who agreed or not about it being too easy, I'm not talking about people who disagree about it being too easy, I'm talking about people who are like "Yeah, it's problematic but it doesn't make the game unplayable so who cares" or even "Yes this is problematic but there's X other stuff that is even more problematic so let's ignore this", if you get what I'm saying then good if not then I'll not bother answering this further, just saying, it's not good feedback.

Anyway, there's other skills that, once maxed out, do give a lot of money, however none of them are this instantaneous, I challenge you to, from scratch, gain $20k in just 5 days with Writing without using cheats.
  • EvokeEvoke Posts: 416 Member
    Meh, there's plenty of more time-efficient ways to make money than this. I think all considered, since the sims are taking time off work, have to pay for the vacation and supplies, and are risking their lives to find the treasure, it's not too bad.

Yeah, when you weigh up the pros/cons it's actually quite dangerous way of making money lol. I mean my household has a lot of money now, but little Destiny will never get her Grandma back.
    S9d2la2.png
    Youtube || Website
    Tutorials, tips, tricks, lets plays for Sims 4
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Last time it was too easy to make money was with Writing and Painting, which have been there forever. And those, you don't even need to leave your home for.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.