Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

By definition, Jungle Adventure doesn't have real traps.

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
There are nothing more than obstacles that your sims have to overcome. They don't have the element of surprise. They're bluntly visible, and you know the exact danger If you directed a sim to go daredevil-head-straight to the device, and that makes it way easy to how to avoid it without having to be prepared tactically.

What, imo, is what makes a trap:
1. Bobby Trap: a very known one, which is a device or setup that is intended to kill, harm, or surprise a person or animal, unknowingly triggered by the presence or actions of the victim. (Wikipedia definition)
2. A Trap: not necessary has to be one that catches the enemy by surprise/prediction, but anything that "a device or enclosure designed to catch and retain animals, typically by allowing entry but not exit or by catching hold of a part of the body." (Google's Definition).

Now that I elaborate on these points, I'm gonna make my arguments to contradict that their definition doesn't met the classification as traps:
1. These "traps" in the game pack are unhidden, not concealed, so your sims can easily (unless their AI is really clueless and/or the player has no common sense) avoid the harm and simply not walk into one If played smart.
2. It's not a "trap" when it doesn't capture an entity/person/animal in of whereabout but out of a certain room. It's nothing more than what I would call 'dead end', but I even then loosely would define it as such as that, because the sim is not outmatched or out-cornered by a pack of mobs and the sim can leave the area they just enter at any time and just straight walk out of the temple as If it were their living room.

And with that comes my disappointment. Unlike World Adventure (yes blame me for using TS3 as benchmark for all good and holy, but this game with dlc is just a sequel to the whole franchise of the same series, so get over it!), which was (IMHO) was more fun when it offered the element of surprise with the implementation idea of bobby traps, it's so easy to steer our sims away from danger. In WA, You/Sim enters a new room of a template, finds a hall that is leading to an open visible door/entrance or a pile of rocks that tempts you to mine it out to unblock the possible entrance, you direct your sim to seamlessly go in pass through the safe room before you know it, BOOM - your sim walks/steps into a trap, and you & your sim get caught off guard and the pixelated character taste the painful "medicine" of being careless and incautions. It's more irksome to expect that we/I expected that the pack would offer the exact what the description, until you find out that it isn't what the term implies and actually is a contracting name.

A gate that propels a flux of fire/electricity/poisonous-gas/ that is visible from the very start you walk down a stairs or through a door to another room is just an obstacle, not a trap. We know we can easily avoid the sim getting harmed, killed or prevent ourselves from getting perplexed If we choose not to send sim to go across the passage through the bluntly obvious device that has the predictable purpose of zapping/scorching/poisoning that targeted victim. You may as well call a clear visible pit or a dig site as a 'trap', because only dummies can just walk into one of those when they're that clueless and not attentive enough to watch wheir their going. A trap may as well be named a crosswalk, particular/especially those who are crossing it while glued to their phones. Or in the relation of The Sims, a broken tv or a stove may as well be defined as traps, because their hazardous and fatal for those who have a certain low skill that tries and attempts to interact with.

///Rant Over///
NNpYlHF.jpg

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Are you upset there doesn’t seem to be any electric shock holes in the ground/wall like there were in World Adventures? We didn’t know they were there until our Sims actually walked across them.

Is that the problem here?
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes, it feels far from dangerous from what I've seen so far.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    I haven't watched any of the videos so I don't know how the traps are shown in this GP but I remember the traps being pretty visible in WA, as well. At least I never had problems seeing them. I seem to recall it was more a matter of whether your Sim would trigger a trap or not and, in some cases, what would happen when something was triggered that made it more exciting.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    By what I've seen I can't but agree with you OP.
    So what you're saying is you won't be getting it?

Please don't derail the subject of the topic?

Sorry, I apologise for that but I just feel that after 3 years it should be pretty obvious that you're not going to encounter any real danger in the Sims 4. I never considered them as traps. More like puzzles.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018
    ebuchala wrote: »
    I haven't watched any of the videos so I don't know how the traps are shown in this GP but I remember the traps being pretty visible in WA, as well. At least I never had problems seeing them. I seem to recall it was more a matter of whether your Sim would trigger a trap or not and, in some cases, what would happen when something was triggered that made it more exciting.

Not all. Some were triggerable/ booby-ed into it. An example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEWZDycpVPg
    While the clip portrays it is ain't in a temple, but that's the best short video I could find that you won't have go through watching the whole adventure.

ETA: Found another one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-SNe2JxtA
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Are you upset there doesn’t seem to be any electric shock holes in the ground/wall like there were in World Adventures? We didn’t know they were there until our Sims actually walked across them.

Is that the problem here?

Yup. That's my main pet-peeve is about that we don't have that sort of traps. It doesn't necessary have to be those particular hole-dispensers. I mean even those pillars/columns/gates of JA could spawn in or erupt/jut up with the help of mechanism or whatever. Now all we got is "Oh look, that thing is there. I could have him/her just not walk into it and disarm without having to go through it (using that talking statue thing or other puzzles)."
    So what you're saying is you won't be getting it?

Correct.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I agree. I was excited to see a real danger element here and was quite disappointed when I saw that there wasn't any. I feel like this pack has a lot potential and could have been amazing, if they had tweaked it a bit (hidden traps, real danger etc)
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    I agree that it doesn't exactly seem to have a dangerous feel or an element of surprise to it. I will buy it though, I don't care much for actual traps but I can see why some people aren't interested in this pack.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree it's Jungle Adventures Lite.

I'm disappointed there is no real traps or nothing unexpected. It seems to be a case of:

Walk to fancy statue interact with it

Sim takes notes

Game gives you various options. Pick one, maybe you will be lucky. Maybe you will get a negative moodlet. Minimal interaction from the player.

The obstacles locking the door aren't traps, I wouldn't even call them puzzles as the player doesn't have todo anything other then point and click.
  • GrandRailGrandRail Posts: 60 Member
    I know I became incredibly disappointed about this game pack once I found out they were obstacles and not proper traps. The foliage is nice and I'm curious as to what they're hiding out of catalog.

My hope now lies with modders. Maybe they can come up with some proper deadly traps. I just wish we didn't have to rely on 3rd party content for such things though...
  • RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    Lack of booby traps dose not disturb me personally. The sims is no action/adventure game type, so I pretty much expected that the traps would be fairly obvious.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited February 2018
    ebuchala wrote: »

Not all. Some were triggerable/ booby-ed into it. An example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEWZDycpVPg
    While the clip portrays it is ain't in a temple, but that's the best short video I could find that you won't have go through watching the whole adventure.

ETA: Found another one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-SNe2JxtA
    Oh, I do remember those. It's been a long time since I've played TS3. I seem to recall after going through a temple or two that there was something that indicated to me where the traps would be but it might just have been me being overly cautious when I was adventuring through them. This almost makes me want to fire up WA again--it was my favorite EP.

Also, that first video is epic! Great use of traps. XD
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018
    How cool If would have been If there was a trap door that would have open beneath the sim when triggered or gone over tripwire, and (s)he would have fallen in a 1x1 chamber below them. If you bought a ladder (should have listen to the recommendation tourists and retail clerk), than you're lucky to get out of a trap. If not, then you have no choice than for your sim to starve (and until food resource ran out) or reload to the past save and prepare your sim properly.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    I would have loved that!
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I was surprised to see the "traps" in the temple consist of a basic dice roll to see whether you're successful or not. I was expecting an element of surprise like the videos linked in this thread that involved hidden switches/pads that would set off booby trap style traps.

I think they could've made more of the skeletons. Instead of a door with an electrical field that's controlled by a lever, place four skeleton "statues" in front of an archway to prevent your Sim from passing. Then put a fifth skeleton in front of them which interacts with your Sim by fighting it - they already have a fight animation with a dust cloud and everything. If your Sim wins, the skeleton guards step aside and you can pass.

Or, since they have an animation for a Sim taking notes in the temple, why not have that research lead to activities to do? For example, research says one of the Omiscan deities liked avocado - so you have to go find some in the jungle, bring it back, and use that as the offering to pass another door.

I wasn't expecting Tomb Raider levels of danger/fighting/exploration, but I did think there'd be something more than just "roll the dice and get a negative moodlet or open the door".
    They should go back and check the duelling system in Magic town in Sims 1. It was awesome and they could have used aspects of this for the skeletons
    edited February 2018
    I'm not asking for the game to turn into Uncharted or tomb raider. But I do expect danger that is more than sheer luck of the draw. I expect player interaction to be significant not minimal. To see it reduced to skeletons happily walking on by without a care on either part and traps that scream "LOOK I'M RIGHT HERE!" With solutions being pick of the draw just makes me despair.
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    I personally like many aspects of Sims 4. Doesn't mean that I don't think there are things missing/not well done. I like the pack, I just think it could have been even better. There is no reason as to why danger should not be an aspect of this game. (It actually already is just not to the extend I want...look at lint in the dryers, fires, electrocution etc.). Feedback is good and unlike with some other packs, I think I have mostly seen quite productive feedback and the feedback has not been overly-negative. Every pack in every iteration had stuff that could have been done better and stuff that was missing for some people. That's just what happens because they can't do everything. However, pointing those things out doesn't do any harm and I believe is actually appreciated by the team.

An example that @JoAnne65 pointed out: Lots of players criticized the backdrops in maps. The team hears them and tried to reduce them in this pack. Some simmers believed they would never do that, since they accepted (extreme) backdrops as part of Sims 4. So, danger is not an aspect of this game yet, but with constructive criticism it could be.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited February 2018
    i'm pretty sure many of us that even gave it a few seconds of thought would have realized it'd be like this. the higher ups have decided that death, while a thing, can't be easy, because they don't want people unhappy they lost a character. and, many players are the exact same way: "ohno, i spent 10 minutes making this guy and now he's set on fire by a trap i didn't even know was there! i'm going to the forums to rant about this!"

editing to add: this is one of the reasons the 'dangerous stuff' idea for the voted pack would never have come anywhere near winning (though it's the one i voted for). and i've got a feeling that some of the gurus have to fight tooth and nail to even get some of the deaths included in new packs included. we just don't see anything about that on our side (i have a feeling the lint trap fire thing took lots of effort to make happen, and am extremely glad that made it in)

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    So if the developers made the traps...sorry, "obstacles" too hard to avoid, we'd be deluged with threads saying "WAAAAH EA KILLED MY LEGACY'S HEIR I HATE EA THEY PLUM!!!!!" (instead of just taking it in stride and picking a new heir), and then the response by the developers would be to make it harder for Sims to die. I know I'll be saving frequently when going through the ruins, and I'd advise others to do the same (though I might make a run through with my Liam O'Dourke Sim and see if I can kill him off). I'm sure it'll be possible for Sims to die just by having them ignore all the warnings and hints.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    So if the developers made the traps...sorry, "obstacles" too hard to avoid, we'd be deluged with threads saying "WAAAAH EA KILLED MY LEGACY'S HEIR I HATE EA THEY PLUM!!!!!" (instead of just taking it in stride and picking a new heir), and then the response by the developers would be to make it harder for Sims to die. I know I'll be saving frequently when going through the ruins, and I'd advise others to do the same (though I might make a run through with my Liam O'Dourke Sim and see if I can kill him off). I'm sure it'll be possible for Sims to die just by having them ignore all the warnings and hints.

You know, I might just test that out. I got a nice married couple I could totally test going straight to the jungle unprepared with no skills and no gear, and on a straight, linear path to find the way to the jungle temple. We'll see then!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

I don't think they should be basing how they do death on people who don't know not to save if a sim they like dies
    I mean I could understand if the game auto saved but it doesn't
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    ...And this is where the two camps setup: one camp who is all, "I want more death and danger with my Sims! EA please add more spice and depth to this game!" and the other camp that is, "Oh please no more death and danger, I care for my Sims too much to have them be killed by EA!"

This is why The Sims can't please everyone in this community. Someone will always complain and criticize about something. Which camp are you in?

I disagree slightly. I don't want more death per se. I want more unexpected things to happen, less happy happy happy all the time and if in a dangerous setting like a jungle? I expect it live up to what it promises. We will soon see where the dice falls.

There should be more balance in trying to please more than one group of fans.