Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it weird that I feel like I'm Wasting Packs?

So, I have a lot of packs in the Sims 4. But I feel like most of them are wasted, as I don't use some of the features very often. Some examples: I almost never go to the Spa from Spa day, or vacation in Outdoor Retreat. When festivals are in town, I go for a brief bit, but leave. I really want to make better use of these packs, but I feel like I'm wasting them. What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    jamiehood wrote: »
    So, I have a lot of packs in the Sims 4. But I feel like most of them are wasted, as I don't use some of the features very often. Some examples: I almost never go to the Spa from Spa day, or vacation in Outdoor Retreat. When festivals are in town, I go for a brief bit, but leave. I really want to make better use of these packs, but I feel like I'm wasting them. What should I do?

I have not used all the options from all the packs myself, I do not see it as wasted because the way EA/Maxis designed the packs each pack has an option that some may choose to use and eventually they may use others when the time comes. Everybody has a different playstyle that may require what packs are to be used and there is no clear cut way to tell you how to not to waste them.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Just them more :) Take your sim to the spa. I love going with mine....

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    jamiehood wrote: »

I am the same, but it's intentional in my case.
    I am waiting for my favorite packs to arrive. (Seasons/University/Witches) I don't want to burn out on current content before I feel the game has the game play I really need.

I call this Non-existent Expansion Pack Syndrome.
    Otherwise known as N.E.P.S.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/892841/n-e-p-s-another-simmer-mind-state-n-e-p-s-alleviated-pg-6/p1

I am playing this game extremely slow. I was playing immortal young adults when the game launched.
    When we got to toddlers and Parenthood I aged them all down to toddlers and gave them parents. Now I am focusing on Parenthood while I rotationally play all my sims. I dabble with any new packs that come out, but I don't explore them for all their secrets. I just sample mainly for something new to do before I set it aside.

I plan to lock aging when all my Sims are teens and then I will find something else to do and just play then once in a while I wait for University.
    Jungle adventure is next and I am sending my orphanage of child sims out for a cultural education in Selvadorada. Since they are kids, they won't delve deep into the jungle. I will have them return after University to see a little bit of the world before settling down in careers and families.

I do have one family that might explore deep in the jungle. One of my YAs had a back story that her parents died when she was young and she had to survive on her own as a teen. I think I will play this out with Jungle Adventure.

So, I don't feel like I am wasting them.
    I am just saving them for later. :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I feel the same, OP. It is like I buy the packs just to try it out for the first month and that's it. For some packs, I still use the build and buy mode stuff so it's not too bad. But there are others that I don't even touch. :confounded:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I do this all the time I fall into habits, use this bed use this and that with it and go to the next room I need to remind myself to use other things, but for me it's okay. It's nice to have those items for different things like there are things I haven't done yet but I'll get to when I feel like it. Maybe try some challenges that focus on certain packs to make yourself use other things more.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I tend to get absorbed with the type of characters I'm playing so sometimes I don't use other packs fully because it doesn't fit the sim type or what they would be interested in. Like I got the kids and toddler packs as they came out and was kicking myself about it later because I didn't play with them enough to use them or even think the packs were any good. Toddlers came out over a year ago and I'm just now playing with them with any regularity... so now I'm using the packs more fully. I'm usually up to year behind if not more.. no clue why. I did the same thing with scientists and aliens. I'm doing the same thing with vampires.. even though I use much of the stuff that came in that pack and make use of the vampires in my worlds sometimes I don't actually play them. I don't worry about it I'll get around to them eventually.
    I understand the "NEPS" though. I have a family that I want to be influenced by Witchcraft.. the new curses and stuff coming might work or it might not in that packs place I'm not sure yet. So although I play that family now and then the meat and potatoes of their story isn't there to flesh them out yet. I am very much looking forward to this new pack though because I have a use for lots of elements in that pack right now.

For the OP .. I don't know what you like but maybe make a character that would enjoy going to the spa. They can be a friend of your main characters if for some reason the spa life isn't appealing to you. Or have a rich family put in the chairs and massage tables in their homes and call out for a massage service. Just incorporate it in a way that blends in your game. Or just enjoy the aspects of it that you do. Why stress?
    I almost always send a sim to OR alone but just recently found out it's pretty fun with a pet... well a dog precisely. I enjoyed walking them and collecting insects along the way. You might be surprised how much you enjoy it when it fits how you like to play. Maybe also wait for packs to go on sale. I wish I could take that advise.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Honestly, as long as I'm using at least ONE feature or piece of content from a pack, I feel better about owning it. For example, I don't particularly care for the Outdoor Retreat game pack... and I rarely go camping. However, I still often use some of the objects (such as the horseshoe game) and some of the clothes.

I can kind of understand how you feel though. It feels like a waste sometimes when I have a pack and don't use anything from it at all... which is why I try my best to at least use something from each pack... even if it's such a minor feature or piece of content.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    Always happen a lot in previous games for me where I'll use some features for a bit and probably won't as much or at all again. (Didn't go on a lot of trips like at all with Sims 2 Bon Voyage.)

I use a lot of items from Spa Day and Outdoor retreat, but most features I don't use. I use the tent quite a lot with some sims living off the land or just building from scratch so they live in a tent same with the use of the cooler. Use a lot of the build/buy mode from Spa Day too, so even if I'm not using that more 'main' feature of a pack I still use the items from it so it's not really a waste.

Usually doing other stuff in the game to not worry what pack I'm not using. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    If you want a break from your normal gameplay, you could try this challenge:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/926793/packs-legacy-challenge/p1
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I’m the same way which is why I haven’t bought a lot of the packs for sims 4. I bought every pack for sims 3 and I never used half the features. It felt like wasted money for me. So this time I’m only buying packs I know I’ll play. I’d play jungle adventure a few times and then I get bored and wouldn’t ever do it again because that’s how I played world adventures. So to me that’s not worth the 20 dollars. I currently only own GT, CL, parenthood, and a couple stuff packs. I just bought CL too after months of debating whether I would use its features and whether I wanted it. It was in sale this weekend so I decided to try it and I love it so far. I’m a family player but I also really breaking away from that. I also have a lower end laptop so I don’t buy everything for that reason as well. My computer can’t handle it.
    I haven’t bought other packs though mainly because I know I’d use the features a couple times and get bored. The club system in GT is never boring and I use it in every game. I like CL so far because it adds features I can use in all my saves whether they live in the city or not. I like festivals and the flee market is really cool. Parenthood is just an incredible add on for family players. The stuff packs I own are laundry day, toddler stuff and kids room stuff all that come with objects I’ll constantly use.
    In sims 3 when I felt like this though I’d mix it up and try a feature I hadn’t used in a while. I know exactly how you feel. It’s almost so many features it’s overwhelming.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The packs that I do not use often are the ones I got on sale for half price or more or were gifted to me. It hurts less knowing that.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I have the same issue and I know that's why I stopped playing for over a month but I'm really wanting to break out of my comfort zone and start using more. I feel that will help me enjoy the game again. One time I created a town and each household was made for a specific pack.
  • Options
    SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    When I feel like I've gotten stuck in a "rut" of things I buy or do regularly with my sims, I make another extra sim... and just make them do things I wouldn't typically do in my other saves.

I'm so glad they gave us save slots. lol. This comes in handy; so all my super favorite sims I have plans for are safely tucked away in their own save and I can run off and go play others without them being disturbed.

Sometimes I'll go "hm... so I haven't played Outdoor retreat in a while.." and if all my other save files are occupied do so.
    I'm very guilty of not using that pack, as well as spooky stuff [cause its seasonal] and a lot of stuff from spa day. Also I'm really bad at not taking my sims out to events or even community lots, so having that extra [usually single and rolling in money so I don't have to worry about being broke] sim to do all the things in my game I may be ignoring.

:smiley:
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Options
    KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    I don't think you need to worry about not using every little feature. Fun is what matters. And maybe you feel like trying some unused features a bit later. You've got all the time in the world and this way you still got somehing new to discover even after years.

At the moment I haven't tried out every feature myself because I started to play The Sims 4 only one year ago and bought many packs in quite a short time. But so what, I played The Sims 2 for about 15 years and this way I never got bored with it. :D

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    The Sims 4 is crippled beyond belief by their interpretation of the Whims system.

With TS4, I simply ignore the Whim system altogether - and there are a lot of Simmers who also don't like it or use it. This means I, like many others, are not pulled into exploring the wealth of things on offer.

Allow me to quote Tom "Metro" Schlueter:
    Wishes in Sims 3 are a defining hallmark of the game - something that truly sets Sims 3 apart from all previous incarnations of the franchise. I distinctly remember when I first fired up the game and the typical "Join the X career" and "Learn the Y skill" wishes triggered right away. I thought..."What brilliant game design." It gave my Sim immediate direction and purpose.

TS4's Whim system is killing the game for a lot of Simmers because it simply doesn't pull them into playing the game.

Seriously. How many people can relate to their Sim cooking dinner and the Whim system wants them to go dance at the stereo or do push-ups?

TS4's game-play is crippled by the Whim system.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited February 2018
    Maybe you and everyone else suffering from this same issue could try my play style.

I have many different saves but my favourite one is the save where I play with all the premade families(+ the ones from maxiscreator_01). For the maciscreator_01 I've build houses that focus on the items that came with their pack.
    As an example the young couple from Romantic Garden Stuff(I can't remember their names) live in a small house that has a huge garden that is filled with flowers and other items from that pack.
    I have done same thing with every pack(I own them all) so I have at least one family who focuses on every EP, GP & SP.

Before this I used to get the biggest lot there is, build a huge house and put all of my favourite gameplay objects there.. But that felt always really overwhelming and "too perfect"(I don't like it when games are too perfect).
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2018
    The packs always sound cool and look cool in the trailers and when I watch reviews. So I get them. I always try out all the features at first. Afterwards, I decide if something is actually a thing I will use regularly. And if it’s not, I never play with that gameplay item again.

For example, I’ve only used the bubble blower, the bowling alley, cupcake machine, owned a retail store etc only the one time just to get a feel for it. Sometimes I surprise myself and go into the catelog and use something like the wishing well for the first time in months/years and enjoy the experience.

I haven’t sent my sims on vacation or eaten out at a restaurant in months/years either.

I’m a bit worried I won’t do too much with JA after the allure passes.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Since I mostly buy for build and buy items, and not game play, I don't feel badly about not using some packs as much. I do, however, forget about some packs. Like Romantic Garden. Every once in a while I use the garden stuff, but I don't think I use much of anything else. I just forget it's there.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I actually noticed that about myself when I played Sims 2. Now what I do is, I give each sim a purpose to explore a certain part of the game. I play rotationally with lots of sims, so that works for me. I do that in Sims 4 and that way I never get bored.
  • Options
    DevinaleDevinale Posts: 209 Member
    I feel the same, I don't use vampires much, and also city life... but then again I know that sometimes I just buy packs for stuff, and maybe new towns(didn't like apartmentlife in CL). I haven't used cats and dogs much either, as in I don't have a cat or dog in my game yet. But I have 8 sims in my household now, suddenly got twins :sweat: but I use the furniture!

Also I would so much have loved university! I hope it comes out soon, I need it. It's the last expansion I need/want.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I just re-installed one of my older large houses to Newcrest and added the laundry in the basement, carried on and on with C&D stuff and Parenthood stuff. etc., etc., and seem to have used almost all of the packs available. I cannot remember what comes with which!

That museum in Bridlington Bay is nice so I've added that to Newcrest and will be putting all my Jungle Adventure finds in it, ditching the C&D stuff if need be.

All packs are useful if you get inventive.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I have played the Sims, since Sims 2. I had all EPs, SPs for Sims 2 and still never played every thing or every aspect of each one. With Sins 3, I was far more conservative in what I purchased, only buying the first couple of SPs, and all EPs, with the exception of Supernatural. I did try to play the game, selecting only a certain set of EPs, but I found traits I often used were missing, as a result. That taught me that even though I thought I wasn't using all aspects of a pack, I wasn't completely aware of just which pack the tings I did use originated. Don't beat yourself up. You probably use far more than you realize. The idea is to have FUN. Right now, I have everything except Vampires (having never been a fan of those, I was grateful EA gave us a choice, this time). Do I use everything from the new LD SP? Not quite, but I like experimenting with stuff. Some things (objects) I use as décor, just for fun.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Emma0708000Emma0708000 Posts: 27 Member
    I feel the same way sometimes. I bought cool kitchen stuff and i haven't even used the ice cream machine once whoops...but same with other things like hairstyles and even big expansion packs like city living with the sims 3 i would always use apartments not so much in the sims 4 need to admit though i use ALOT of items from City living :) I may just stick to buying packs i really want.
    Simply Sims | Youtuber
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I feel the same way sometimes. I bought cool kitchen stuff and i haven't even used the ice cream machine once whoops...but same with other things like hairstyles and even big expansion packs like city living with the sims 3 i would always use apartments not so much in the sims 4 need to admit though i use ALOT of items from City living :) I may just stick to buying packs i really want.

I use the ice cream maker to get Sims to lose weight quickly. Two servings of Taste of Diet and a jog. Then throw it away so they don't lose too much.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 2018
    I always make sure to get some use out of at least a bit of every little thing in every pack so I get my 'money's worth' of content I play for. I certainly also create households specifically catering to some packs, including CAS assets they wear. Most often all my money's worth comes from CAS assets that I can give on many other Sims so that's something good. Though I always relish making new Sims and households with specific pack content.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png