Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Jungle Adventure Stream - Part II

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @Felicity there is one trap type that is activated with four different moods. it might sometimes be what is linked to a door to open it, but was not in the stream. one of the three new gardening harvestables is a tree designed with this in mind. it grows 7 different types of berries that each give a specific emotional buff when eaten
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    @Felicity there is one trap type that is activated with four different moods. it might sometimes be what is linked to a door to open it, but was not in the stream. one of the three new gardening harvestables is a tree designed with this in mind. it grows 7 different types of berries that each give a specific emotional buff when eaten

So you don't even need mood potions anymore? Hmmmm. I wish they'd find something better than the emotion system which just feels so game-y to me.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    When did they ever say there was more than one temple?

They didn't but the map shows what looks like more temples and they don't look like the one in the livestream. I'm just basing my opinion on what I saw on the map. I could be wrong.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

They didn't but the map shows what looks like more temples and they don't look like the one in the livestream. I'm just basing my opinion on what I saw on the map. I could be wrong.
    That’s what I initially thought as well but I believe those areas (with a question mark) aren’t temples.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

They didn't. Nothing but wishful thinking.

I actually just got around to watching the stream because...well, whoever scheduled having two shy introverts with soft voices as the hosts should probably rethink their future scheduling. Recognize both of them and they do fine as side-hosts to actual extroverts, but two together...? Dunno why they thought that would be a good idea.

This stream actually makes me lose some hope for the pack specifically because:

-The amount of temple layouts sounds really limited. Traps always popping up in the same locations sounds boring too.

-So far, the reward does seem like "lolmoney" since they got some rather obscene amounts of cash for their travels. This honestly looks like it could rival painting in wealth, and I personally find piles of money to be a really boring reward incentive. Heck, I enjoy it when I have a poor sim because actually managing to remain poor is actually difficult in these games.

-Seems I wasn't too far off when I expressed fears they'd convert a dangerous temple into typical Sims 4 "LOL WEIRDER STORIES XDDDD #BlameSteve" brand of 'diet danger' in a happy-go-lucky world where nothing goes wrong. Seeing a statue "poison" one of the explorers and all it makes them do is pee their pants? Seeing the skeletons just casually walking around and hanging out, providing no sense of danger whatsoever and probably just functioning as something our Sims won't stop queueing up social chats with? Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. I get that there was electricity and fire and poison there, but all of those seem like things you can easily avoid if you just play smart. That's not too different from how it was in World Adventures, but World Adventures at least took itself seriously while this pack does not. People that send their sims on a dangerous adventure probably want a serious tone for the story they're crafting, and yes it's annoying as all heck when EVERY single aspect of this game insists your story be happy or "funny" 24/7. I suppose for me, this is less a criticism of this particular pack, and more a concern that the Sims 4 team is completely incapable of tackling serious topics, tragic stories and somber moods. Here's a life-threatening temple, and we have Sims chatting up skeletons and pooping their pants. It suggests we will never see content catered towards other types of stories and will only be spammed to death with more of the same tone that so many of us have already complained about. I mean seriously, a sim pooped their pants in a "dangerous" temple...I once said I thought Rachel thinking Sims needs to reflect reality TV absolutely missed the mark, and the true target should be Soap operas. People like drama in their game. They like when their sims cheat, steal, die or get struck with sudden misfortune. It gives them a new goal, it gives them something new to overcome, and it makes things interesting. They like seeing a sudden twist that spices up the story. When the sudden twist is reduced from DEATH to pooping your pants though, yeah, of course I'm going to voice disappointment.

-It almost feels like there's too many insta-win buttons. I expected shower in a can and I feel a can being able to satisfy hygiene is fine since hygiene doesn't take too long to fill, but there's energy in a can too? That combined with the recent patch, it's like they don't even want us playing the game anymore. "Why actually simulate life when we could make our Sims immune to every need ever and spend all day staring at fashion?" seems to be the philosophy here, and I for one would rather keep playing a game with reasonable and balanced strengths and weaknesses.

-Perhaps this is more of a personal pet peeve and perhaps people will actually agree with me, but I've complained many times that I think the mood system plum and multitasking does nothing but lead to endless, unwanted socializing. To see the temples themselves demand certain moods or socializing to solve puzzles....? Like honestly, are we not capable of coming up with anything else? Is this entire game just a one-trick pony that constantly sticks to the exact same concepts? As I said with the recent patch: this complaint is less about this particular feature being lacking, but rather when you get 20,000 features all looking exactly the same and feeling copy-pasted, it gets dull and it makes you question if the team is just lacking in creativity.

I'm still where I was before though: I wanna know the rewards. Good rewards could save the pack, bad rewards...? If the rewards are bad or bland and they're all just 10 different ways to interact with a skeleton, then I can't see myself having much motivation to want this pack. It's a shame too, since the pack did indeed touch on some good concepts. (skills governing outcomes of random events, a randomized temple, two new skills and aspirations are gameplay content)

Huh, I always come back to Sims 4 for the game packs, and this was one was I was waiting for (I love World Adventures), but I don't know now. I have to watch the live stream to see how emotions tie into it. The emotional system is, IMO, awful and if they have to be in certain moods, then all you have to do is bring mood potions with you.

It's more then adventuring. There is some senic sites were sims can hike to and there are hidden pools and a lot of waterfalls. You're sims can even put down a tent in these locations. If you have Outdoor Retreat bring along the tent,campfire and cooler.
  • Options

They didn't. Nothing but wishful thinking.

I actually just got around to watching the stream because...well, whoever scheduled having two shy introverts with soft voices as the hosts should probably rethink their future scheduling. Recognize both of them and they do fine as side-hosts to actual extroverts, but two together...? Dunno why they thought that would be a good idea.

This stream actually makes me lose some hope for the pack specifically because:

-The amount of temple layouts sounds really limited. Traps always popping up in the same locations sounds boring too.

-So far, the reward does seem like "lolmoney" since they got some rather obscene amounts of cash for their travels. This honestly looks like it could rival painting in wealth, and I personally find piles of money to be a really boring reward incentive. Heck, I enjoy it when I have a poor sim because actually managing to remain poor is actually difficult in these games.

-Seems I wasn't too far off when I expressed fears they'd convert a dangerous temple into typical Sims 4 "LOL WEIRDER STORIES XDDDD #BlameSteve" brand of 'diet danger' in a happy-go-lucky world where nothing goes wrong. Seeing a statue "poison" one of the explorers and all it makes them do is pee their pants? Seeing the skeletons just casually walking around and hanging out, providing no sense of danger whatsoever and probably just functioning as something our Sims won't stop queueing up social chats with? Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. I get that there was electricity and fire and poison there, but all of those seem like things you can easily avoid if you just play smart. That's not too different from how it was in World Adventures, but World Adventures at least took itself seriously while this pack does not. People that send their sims on a dangerous adventure probably want a serious tone for the story they're crafting, and yes it's annoying as all heck when EVERY single aspect of this game insists your story be happy or "funny" 24/7. I suppose for me, this is less a criticism of this particular pack, and more a concern that the Sims 4 team is completely incapable of tackling serious topics, tragic stories and somber moods. Here's a life-threatening temple, and we have Sims chatting up skeletons and pooping their pants. It suggests we will never see content catered towards other types of stories and will only be spammed to death with more of the same tone that so many of us have already complained about. I mean seriously, a sim pooped their pants in a "dangerous" temple...I once said I thought Rachel thinking Sims needs to reflect reality TV absolutely missed the mark, and the true target should be Soap operas. People like drama in their game. They like when their sims cheat, steal, die or get struck with sudden misfortune. It gives them a new goal, it gives them something new to overcome, and it makes things interesting. They like seeing a sudden twist that spices up the story. When the sudden twist is reduced from DEATH to pooping your pants though, yeah, of course I'm going to voice disappointment.

-It almost feels like there's too many insta-win buttons. I expected shower in a can and I feel a can being able to satisfy hygiene is fine since hygiene doesn't take too long to fill, but there's energy in a can too? That combined with the recent patch, it's like they don't even want us playing the game anymore. "Why actually simulate life when we could make our Sims immune to every need ever and spend all day staring at fashion?" seems to be the philosophy here, and I for one would rather keep playing a game with reasonable and balanced strengths and weaknesses.

-Perhaps this is more of a personal pet peeve and perhaps people will actually agree with me, but I've complained many times that I think the mood system plum and multitasking does nothing but lead to endless, unwanted socializing. To see the temples themselves demand certain moods or socializing to solve puzzles....? Like honestly, are we not capable of coming up with anything else? Is this entire game just a one-trick pony that constantly sticks to the exact same concepts? As I said with the recent patch: this complaint is less about this particular feature being lacking, but rather when you get 20,000 features all looking exactly the same and feeling copy-pasted, it gets dull and it makes you question if the team is just lacking in creativity.

I'm still where I was before though: I wanna know the rewards. Good rewards could save the pack, bad rewards...? If the rewards are bad or bland and they're all just 10 different ways to interact with a skeleton, then I can't see myself having much motivation to want this pack. It's a shame too, since the pack did indeed touch on some good concepts. (skills governing outcomes of random events, a randomized temple, two new skills and aspirations are gameplay content)

Huh, I always come back to Sims 4 for the game packs, and this was one was I was waiting for (I love World Adventures), but I don't know now. I have to watch the live stream to see how emotions tie into it. The emotional system is, IMO, awful and if they have to be in certain moods, then all you have to do is bring mood potions with you.

It's more then adventuring. There is some senic sites were sims can hike to and there are hidden pools and a lot of waterfalls. You're sims can even put down a tent in these locations. If you have Outdoor Retreat bring along the tent,campfire and cooler.

Sure, but it was the idea of adventuring which interested me in the pack to begin with.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Heck I'm playing an indie game that involves going into mines, collection treasures and fighting enemies whilst gathering secrets and that mine has more atmosphere and tension then the temple has which felt very slow paced and relaxed in comparison.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you're talking about Stardew Valley. Stardew Valley isn't exactly a very dark or serious game, but when it's mines have more atmosphere than these temples, there's a problem. It manages to understand a temple or dungeon needs to have the appropriate atmosphere, Sims 4 some how repeatedly fails at this and insists every single possible storyline needs to involve all the Sims grinning so hard the corners of their mouths are glitching through their eyeballs.

Close! Its a game kind of along that style, kind of not called Gleaner Heights. Much darker than Stardew. (And I love stardew) Come to think of it there is more difficulty and challenge in the mines there too than what I saw in the live stream the other day!
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    I'm confused I thought the purpose of Friday's live stream was to show off the temple itself? I didn't think they showing much of Selvadorada? Also I saw someone mention a second temple. I thought it was confirmed there's only one temple that changes

The first half of the video was based on the temple. According to the Guru, there are five layouts for the temple. (I'm fairly certain that there is only one temple. Perhaps SimsGuruNinja will give the definitive answer.) Each time that a floor plan is recycled, the traps may vary, however, their locations will not.

Sounds kinda weaksauce if it's just five variants and the traps always have the same location.
    Not only that, I regret the traps are always visible. I don’t think there’s anything hidden (or did I miss something)? When I read ‘different layouts’ I figured it means five different challenges how to find your way through the tomb, traps being really traps. Not a matter of different kind of traps being placed on different spots. I sure hope there is some puzzling involved, otherwise you’re done pretty quickly I suspect. There seems little to really figure out? Just choose options (that change)?

wcPR6vQ.png

After all these years and with all my experience, this still happens to me when I’m focusing on something in a room and forget to check first.

Well it depends. I don't think this is the only temple in the game. I believe there are bigger temples as well. I think this was just a small temple.
    Now I’m confused.. Are there more temples? I believe it’s just this one (with five different layouts inside)?

@DeservedCriticism
    I get that there was electricity and fire and poison there, but all of those seem like things you can easily avoid if you just play smart. That's not too different from how it was in World Adventures, but World Adventures at least took itself seriously while this pack does not
    I don’t mind being able to avoid traps, as long as I have to use my brain for a bit to do it. Like pushing around statues or finding the right toggles or getting my sims skilled enough to disarm traps or jump through them (sometimes successful, sometimes not). And like I said, I really regret there doesn’t seem to be anything hidden there. In TS3 you can hide toggles and doors, it’s often the foundation of the puzzle. A room can look like a dead end, untill you discover a hidden door. I like that surprise element. I don’t believe this temple has any of that. So you don’t have to play smart to avoid them, you just can manage by not acting completely dumb ;)

One of the gurus said there was one temple with 5 different layouts and different traps within. (Same locations just different traps and solutions) I don't see why they would give false information?
  • Options
    Stardew Valley is an amazing game, though. The music gives the mines atmosphere. I'd also say that Stardew Valley is far darker than the Sims 4. Don't forget you have town heading to a dead end with a horrible war being waged in the background. You have two town drunks -- one is a mother who spends all her free time at the bar, and the other is close to suicide. A vet comes home, a stranger to his children, who has PTSD.

All this with a simplistic art style and great music. I think it's funny how all the characters definitely have their own personalities.
  • Options
    Stardew Valley is an amazing game, though. The music gives the mines atmosphere. I'd also say that Stardew Valley is far darker than the Sims 4. Don't forget you have town heading to a dead end with a horrible war being waged in the background. You have two town drunks -- one is a mother who spends all her free time at the bar, and the other is close to suicide. A vet comes home, a stranger to his children, who has PTSD.

All this with a simplistic art style and great music. I think it's funny how all the characters definitely have their own personalities.

Tis true!

And all made by one person. Quite an amazing feat really.

The music really helps the mines. It just gives it a bit of ambience. If the temples were to get music it would be in the form of speakers and would be sims dancing if I know the sims 4. Not quite what I mean either!
  • Options
    NimieNimie Posts: 206 Member

Heck I'm playing an indie game that involves going into mines, collection treasures and fighting enemies whilst gathering secrets and that mine has more atmosphere and tension then the temple has which felt very slow paced and relaxed in comparison.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you're talking about Stardew Valley. Stardew Valley isn't exactly a very dark or serious game, but when it's mines have more atmosphere than these temples, there's a problem. It manages to understand a temple or dungeon needs to have the appropriate atmosphere, Sims 4 some how repeatedly fails at this and insists every single possible storyline needs to involve all the Sims grinning so hard the corners of their mouths are glitching through their eyeballs.

That mine >.<, the skull cave was horrible the first time I went there.

Talking about sims I agree with you with the happy sims 4 world, I was excited when I watched the first JA trailer and I thought that finally my sims would die there, but all the things that I'm reading about the second livestream (I didn't watch it because I didn't what to spoil myself) make me feel like I shouldn't buy it. I really need drama in my game I'd like when my partner saw me cheating on him he would at least talk to me in a mean way but the only thing they do is feeling sad, it's like seriously??. It's difficult to kill my sims by emotions I really need something that changes my story sometimes, that makes me thing well what I'm going to do now instead of I'd like that something happened.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I'm sure DeservedCrit is also "pleased" about the HAPPY blessing of the Ancients too... :p

Yeah as I mentioned before in another thread, I really wasn't feeling the whole death and danger that was sort of advertised for the temple. Granted I was one of the major proponents for the excitement of the new pack. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's still a solid pack in regards to everything else there, and I'm still awaiting when I can actually play it so I can give a real review of it. The temple though, at least from what I saw in the stream, left a lot to be desired.

Also, I think it's finally time for me to also state that the game gives you too much happy and they really need to cut it out with the excessive happy now.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm sure DeservedCrit is also "pleased" about the HAPPY blessing of the Ancients too... :p

Yeah as I mentioned before in another thread, I really wasn't feeling the whole death and danger that was sort of advertised for the temple. Granted I was one of the major proponents for the excitement of the new pack. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's still a solid pack in regards to everything else there, and I'm still awaiting when I can actually play it so I can give a real review of it. The temple though, at least from what I saw in the stream, left a lot to be desired.

Also, I think it's finally time for me to also state that the game gives you too much happy and they really need to cut it out with the excessive happy now.

Don't get me wrong, this pack will still probably be the third best GP off the concept alone. This game really lacks in gameplay and the two Aspirations and skills, the artifacts, the new harvestable and misc things like learning dances still have the potential to provide some. I can absolutely see players getting more use out of this pack than stuff like Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat and Dine Out.

However, it's just disappointing because if done right, this concept had the potential to be the best one yet. This is a pack concept that, when done right, can fall into the same group as Vampires and Parenthood. If this were Sims 2 or Sims 3 and we had this pack announced for them, I'd just look forward to it cause the concept itself is solid. Those two games delivered whenever the concept itself was a winner. With Sims 4, I've long learned even a good concept can be done completely wrong, so I'm always skeptical leading to release. The only pack I've shown practically zero skepticism towards was Vampires, specifically because it's design mirrored an actual suggestion I'd made on the forums. (aka powers to provide customization and personality)

As I said, at times it just feels like the team lacks creativity. They always return to the same mechanics and aspects instead of acknowledging that "this doesn't make sense for this theme," or "people have complained about this feature," or "we already have this mechanic in game," or whatever else the problem may be. It sometimes feels as if all of the planning regarding packs was done on day one of release, and they're just completely unwilling to adapt and see what works and what doesn't, what people are sick of and what they aren't, etc etc.

I think the best news we could hear now is if the artifact powers were good. Anything that's a unique, totally-new function would be a welcome addition. A skeleton maid disappoints because at the end of the day, it's functionally identical to a maid I can hire. Becoming a skeleton temporarily disappoints because it doesn't seem to do much to change how the sim is played. (permanently could matter if it did things like provided immortality and froze needs, but that doesn't seem to be the case)

To me, the goal of every pack should be to develop game concepts that currently don't exist. The temple kind of does that (though in a rather disappointing way), but everything else does not. The sales tables were recycled, the concept of new food dishes was recycled, the food stands are recycled, much of the methods used to explore the temple feel recycled since we already have enough of that gameplay, and I fear the artifact rewards themselves might serve functions that fail to be new too. Things like new life states have been my favorites because it's very very difficult to make a completely new life state that just recycles an existing concept. It's pretty much a promise for something new. Sims 4 though seems to have developed a talent for just reusing old assets, right down to the goals and the rewards themselves.
    kalaksed wrote: »
    ...you're blatantly missing some things here, too. the poison didn't 'make the sim pee their pants'. that was bottoming out bladder need before getting to their poohoo bush. and getting scared by the statue when they were mean to it. the poison has a 12 hour timer and and at the end of that, the sim will either die or get over it

@kalaksed Watch again. You're both confusing two Sims with each other and you missed the part where that sim reached the bush. Watch this clip and you can clearly see the Sim has zero negative moodlets, does not walk as though their bladder is full, and suddenly pees themselves immediately after the statue sprays them. That was 100% the statue.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I love those bathroom fixtures! If I wasn't already sold on this back, that would have done it for me.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Still on a break from the Sims but I always come back for the livestreams and I am very much looking forward to getting this pack when I do. Really happy about the adventurous theme, let's go out and explore!

Will probably use a couple of mods when I do come back provided that those are available just like I have modded my vampires to be more dangerous. Traps being more deadly and other little things, skipped looking at most of the temple just because I want to explore it myself. Have a few things I want to finish first but after that I will be back and I will get this straight away, and also get back to patreon to support my favorite modders because being able to fine tune the game to my preferences makes it so much better.

Nice to see a few new simgurus :) *waves*

SimguruNinja is really good but I am glad that more of them get to try being in front of the camera. Just thinking back to how my old guild used to deal with operations and events back in my MMO. We had a few stars that were really super good at it and then we had a few in training. We had set dates and times so a few of the officers had to be ready to go, someone waiting in back up in case the main one got the stomach flu or got stuck in traffic. It has to be someone who knows the content and is willing to go on the mic or in this case in front of the camera, always relying on the mains can leave you vulnerable.

Anyhow, I am glad to have this to look forward to when I get back. Cheers.
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    No no, I refuse to watch this livestream. I want some things to be a surprise for once.