Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Jungle Adventure Stream - Part II

Comments

• 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    There are so many llamas :D:D Anyways I loved the build buy. Especially the windows. I wanted to see more of the world now I will have to discover it myself ;)

Given how important/ingrained in Sims lore llamas are I'm surprised it's taken them this long to do something South America/Peruvian Inspired for the game lol.
    ~ ~ ~
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the llamas finally get to go home!
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Oh God I fell asleep and missed it
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Amazing pack. I swear this is better than any of the eps. This team needs to help the ep team and show them how to make an amazing pack.... Excellent job GP team. Everything about this pack is making me smile. Loved both live streams too. Good job to all the JA Guru's. Spot on..... Oh and thank you for all your amazing work on this pack. Can't wait for Tuesday. Totally happy here.

YES. GPs are my favorite kind of pack so far. I love how they were able to pack so much for 20 USD.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    This pack looks very exciting, probably not going to get it right away as I usually wait for sales (parenthood was an exception) but I look forward to playing with the pack when I do eventually get it. The gameplay clearly has a lot of depth to it as it’s not just “go here and find object” but expanded.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I plan to get this pack eventually...once my debt level goes down, and hopefully it goes on sale. Right now, my hubby is talking about shredding all my credit cards, even though none of them are close to their limit.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I bet there is more then 1 temple.
    I was hoping more locations would be shown. There is a lookout close to Flirty Falls that wasn't shown.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I'm confused I thought the purpose of Friday's live stream was to show off the temple itself? I didn't think they showing much of Selvadorada? Also I saw someone mention a second temple. I thought it was confirmed there's only one temple that changes
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    One thing I will say about this pack is that the new windows and some of the floor tiles/tiled stairs would complement really well a Venice/Tuscany style world. I really hope the sims 4 gets a world based on Venice.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    I'm confused I thought the purpose of Friday's live stream was to show off the temple itself? I didn't think they showing much of Selvadorada? Also I saw someone mention a second temple. I thought it was confirmed there's only one temple that changes

You're correct, they didn't show much of Selvadorada.

The first half of the video was based on the temple. According to the Guru, there are five layouts for the temple. (I'm fairly certain that there is only one temple. Perhaps SimsGuruNinja will give the definitive answer.) Each time that a floor plan is recycled, the traps may vary, however, their locations will not.

The second half of the video was an overview of Build/Buy and CAS. There was no review of the rest of the world. As well, there was no overview of the people of Selvadorada and what makes them different to the rest of the TS4 universe, if anything. Other than the dancing and the furnishings/architecture, the other aspects of Selvadoradan culture remains to be seen.

Edited to add: SD natives do seem to greet each other with a friendly (?) kiss. Hopefully, there are other customs to be discovered.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

The first half of the video was based on the temple. According to the Guru, there are five layouts for the temple. (I'm fairly certain that there is only one temple. Perhaps SimsGuruNinja will give the definitive answer.) Each time that a floor plan is recycled, the traps may vary, however, their locations will not.

Sounds kinda weaksauce if it's just five variants and the traps always have the same location.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

You're correct, they didn't show much of Selvadorada.

The second half of the video was an overview of Build/Buy and CAS. There was no review of the rest of the world. As well, there was no overview of the people of Selvadorada and what makes them different to the rest of the TS4 universe, if anything. Other than the dancing and the furnishings/architecture, the other aspects of Selvadoradan culture remains to be seen.

Edited to add: SD natives do seem to greet each other with a friendly (?) kiss. Hopefully, there are other customs to be discovered.

Thank you! I decided not to watch this second one because I want to figure the temple out all by myself. Mad at myself that I missed build/buy but I get to be surprised.

Yes I'm hoping they greet each other with more than a kiss to the cheek. I have sims who already do that.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018

Sounds kinda weaksauce if it's just five variants and the traps always have the same location.
    Not only that, I regret the traps are always visible. I don’t think there’s anything hidden (or did I miss something)? When I read ‘different layouts’ I figured it means five different challenges how to find your way through the tomb, traps being really traps. Not a matter of different kind of traps being placed on different spots. I sure hope there is some puzzling involved, otherwise you’re done pretty quickly I suspect. There seems little to really figure out? Just choose options (that change)?

wcPR6vQ.png

After all these years and with all my experience, this still happens to me when I’m focusing on something in a room and forget to check first.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Not only that, I regret the traps are always visible. I don’t think there’s anything hidden (or did I miss something)? When I read ‘different layouts’ I figured it means five different challenges how to find your way through the tomb, traps being really traps. Not a matter of different kind of traps being placed on different spots. I sure hope there is some puzzling involved, otherwise you’re done pretty quickly I suspect. There seems little to really figure out? Just choose options (that change)?

wcPR6vQ.png

After all these years and with all my experience, this still happens to me when I’m focusing on something in a room and forget to check first.

Well it depends. I don't think this is the only temple in the game. I believe there are bigger temples as well. I think this was just a small temple.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    When did they ever say there was more than one temple?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member

except that's not the case, they've said that the traps vary as well as the lay out, so something that is the solution the first time, may trip a trap the next and so on...

They didn't. Nothing but wishful thinking.

I actually just got around to watching the stream because...well, whoever scheduled having two shy introverts with soft voices as the hosts should probably rethink their future scheduling. Recognize both of them and they do fine as side-hosts to actual extroverts, but two together...? Dunno why they thought that would be a good idea.

This stream actually makes me lose some hope for the pack specifically because:

-The amount of temple layouts sounds really limited. Traps always popping up in the same locations sounds boring too.

-So far, the reward does seem like "lolmoney" since they got some rather obscene amounts of cash for their travels. This honestly looks like it could rival painting in wealth, and I personally find piles of money to be a really boring reward incentive. Heck, I enjoy it when I have a poor sim because actually managing to remain poor is actually difficult in these games.

-Seems I wasn't too far off when I expressed fears they'd convert a dangerous temple into typical Sims 4 "LOL WEIRDER STORIES XDDDD #BlameSteve" brand of 'diet danger' in a happy-go-lucky world where nothing goes wrong. Seeing a statue "poison" one of the explorers and all it makes them do is pee their pants? Seeing the skeletons just casually walking around and hanging out, providing no sense of danger whatsoever and probably just functioning as something our Sims won't stop queueing up social chats with? Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. I get that there was electricity and fire and poison there, but all of those seem like things you can easily avoid if you just play smart. That's not too different from how it was in World Adventures, but World Adventures at least took itself seriously while this pack does not. People that send their sims on a dangerous adventure probably want a serious tone for the story they're crafting, and yes it's annoying as all heck when EVERY single aspect of this game insists your story be happy or "funny" 24/7. I suppose for me, this is less a criticism of this particular pack, and more a concern that the Sims 4 team is completely incapable of tackling serious topics, tragic stories and somber moods. Here's a life-threatening temple, and we have Sims chatting up skeletons and pooping their pants. It suggests we will never see content catered towards other types of stories and will only be spammed to death with more of the same tone that so many of us have already complained about. I mean seriously, a sim pooped their pants in a "dangerous" temple...I once said I thought Rachel thinking Sims needs to reflect reality TV absolutely missed the mark, and the true target should be Soap operas. People like drama in their game. They like when their sims cheat, steal, die or get struck with sudden misfortune. It gives them a new goal, it gives them something new to overcome, and it makes things interesting. They like seeing a sudden twist that spices up the story. When the sudden twist is reduced from DEATH to pooping your pants though, yeah, of course I'm going to voice disappointment.

-It almost feels like there's too many insta-win buttons. I expected shower in a can and I feel a can being able to satisfy hygiene is fine since hygiene doesn't take too long to fill, but there's energy in a can too? That combined with the recent patch, it's like they don't even want us playing the game anymore. "Why actually simulate life when we could make our Sims immune to every need ever and spend all day staring at fashion?" seems to be the philosophy here, and I for one would rather keep playing a game with reasonable and balanced strengths and weaknesses.

-Perhaps this is more of a personal pet peeve and perhaps people will actually agree with me, but I've complained many times that I think the mood system sucks and multitasking does nothing but lead to endless, unwanted socializing. To see the temples themselves demand certain moods or socializing to solve puzzles....? Like honestly, are we not capable of coming up with anything else? Is this entire game just a one-trick pony that constantly sticks to the exact same concepts? As I said with the recent patch: this complaint is less about this particular feature being lacking, but rather when you get 20,000 features all looking exactly the same and feeling copy-pasted, it gets dull and it makes you question if the team is just lacking in creativity.

I'm still where I was before though: I wanna know the rewards. Good rewards could save the pack, bad rewards...? If the rewards are bad or bland and they're all just 10 different ways to interact with a skeleton, then I can't see myself having much motivation to want this pack. It's a shame too, since the pack did indeed touch on some good concepts. (skills governing outcomes of random events, a randomized temple, two new skills and aspirations are gameplay content)
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Well, the new world is beautifull and so do the build/ buy objects but as far as the temple exploration goes i think that the game lacks the danger element that would make tomb raiding unpredictable and fun. I can see the jungle but not the adventure.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    To all the people worried their Sims would die it was pretty clear after this second livestream that you really shouldn't worry. There's no real danger and no real darkness in the temple. Skeletons are friendly and the curses and such are basically moodlets. It is a shame in my opinion that the Sims team doesn't want/can't add any tragedy or unexpected real dangers.

That being said, the rest of the pack is looking great in my opinion and I love all the tiles and plants in it.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited February 2018

I actually just got around to watching the stream because...well, whoever scheduled having two shy introverts with soft voices as the hosts should probably rethink their future scheduling. Recognize both of them and they do fine as side-hosts to actual extroverts, but two together...? Dunno why they thought that would be a good idea.

-The amount of temple layouts sounds really limited. Traps always popping up in the same locations sounds boring too.

-So far, the reward does seem like "lolmoney" since they got some rather obscene amounts of cash for their travels. This honestly looks like it could rival painting in wealth, and I personally find piles of money to be a really boring reward incentive. Heck, I enjoy it when I have a poor sim because actually managing to remain poor is actually difficult in these games.

-Seems I wasn't too far off when I expressed fears they'd convert a dangerous temple into typical Sims 4 "LOL WEIRDER STORIES XDDDD #BlameSteve" brand of 'diet danger' in a happy-go-lucky world where nothing goes wrong. Seeing a statue "poison" one of the explorers and all it makes them do is pee their pants? Seeing the skeletons just casually walking around and hanging out, providing no sense of danger whatsoever and probably just functioning as something our Sims won't stop queueing up social chats with? Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. I get that there was electricity and fire and poison there, but all of those seem like things you can easily avoid if you just play smart. That's not too different from how it was in World Adventures, but World Adventures at least took itself seriously while this pack does not. People that send their sims on a dangerous adventure probably want a serious tone for the story they're crafting, and yes it's annoying as all heck when EVERY single aspect of this game insists your story be happy or "funny" 24/7. I suppose for me, this is less a criticism of this particular pack, and more a concern that the Sims 4 team is completely incapable of tackling serious topics, tragic stories and somber moods. Here's a life-threatening temple, and we have Sims chatting up skeletons and pooping their pants. It suggests we will never see content catered towards other types of stories and will only be spammed to death with more of the same tone that so many of us have already complained about. I mean seriously, a sim pooped their pants in a "dangerous" temple...I once said I thought Rachel thinking Sims needs to reflect reality TV absolutely missed the mark, and the true target should be Soap operas. People like drama in their game. They like when their sims cheat, steal, die or get struck with sudden misfortune. It gives them a new goal, it gives them something new to overcome, and it makes things interesting. They like seeing a sudden twist that spices up the story. When the sudden twist is reduced from DEATH to pooping your pants though, yeah, of course I'm going to voice disappointment.

-It almost feels like there's too many insta-win buttons. I expected shower in a can and I feel a can being able to satisfy hygiene is fine since hygiene doesn't take too long to fill, but there's energy in a can too? That combined with the recent patch, it's like they don't even want us playing the game anymore. "Why actually simulate life when we could make our Sims immune to every need ever and spend all day staring at fashion?" seems to be the philosophy here, and I for one would rather keep playing a game with reasonable and balanced strengths and weaknesses.

-Perhaps this is more of a personal pet peeve and perhaps people will actually agree with me, but I've complained many times that I think the mood system plum and multitasking does nothing but lead to endless, unwanted socializing. To see the temples themselves demand certain moods or socializing to solve puzzles....? Like honestly, are we not capable of coming up with anything else? Is this entire game just a one-trick pony that constantly sticks to the exact same concepts? As I said with the recent patch: this complaint is less about this particular feature being lacking, but rather when you get 20,000 features all looking exactly the same and feeling copy-pasted, it gets dull and it makes you question if the team is just lacking in creativity.

I'm still where I was before though: I wanna know the rewards. Good rewards could save the pack, bad rewards...? If the rewards are bad or bland and they're all just 10 different ways to interact with a skeleton, then I can't see myself having much motivation to want this pack. It's a shame too, since the pack did indeed touch on some good concepts. (skills governing outcomes of random events, a randomized temple, two new skills and aspirations are gameplay content)

I wondered when you would get round to the stream!

I agree with your post. For me the temple was seriously lacking in atmosphere, no creepy music, no ambience, no real sense of danger. No tension. But a heck of a lot of: " Go here, fiddle with this, watch while your sim writes something and then wait for the game to give an A, B, C, or D answer and you can pick at random which one you think it is.

(Cynical part of me thinks it's extremely convenient that being nice to the statue thing got you the right answers and through the temple) I know it's randomised but I would like to know how random it really is. They said the trap layouts will stay the same but the trap will change as will the solution so there can't be any hidden traps which as @JoAnne65 says is disappointing. There is no real sense of danger, it's just pick an option and hope for the best. Minimal interaction from the player. The puzzles are barely puzzles I'm sorry but I play plenty of games that use puzzles and that is not a puzzle! It's a "wait till the game gives you the answer" scenario. Sometimes you will be lucky, sometimes you won't be.

But then I should have realised the temple was safe when they said toddlers can go in it.

Maybe I'm hoping too much, when I'm in a tomb in WA and I don't know what's coming I feel anticipation, there is atmosphere, there are things my sim has to interact with; to move, to touch, to dig through, proper puzzles that require me to work out. The consequences exceed pooping your pants.

Heck I'm playing an indie game that involves going into mines, collection treasures and fighting enemies whilst gathering secrets and that mine has more atmosphere and tension then the temple has which felt very slow paced and relaxed in comparison. Heck the skeletons that "protect the temple" just wander about happily without your sim not even batting an eyelid and vice Versa. Weirder stories indeed.

Heck I'm playing an indie game that involves going into mines, collection treasures and fighting enemies whilst gathering secrets and that mine has more atmosphere and tension then the temple has which felt very slow paced and relaxed in comparison.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you're talking about Stardew Valley. Stardew Valley isn't exactly a very dark or serious game, but when it's mines have more atmosphere than these temples, there's a problem. It manages to understand a temple or dungeon needs to have the appropriate atmosphere, Sims 4 some how repeatedly fails at this and insists every single possible storyline needs to involve all the Sims grinning so hard the corners of their mouths are glitching through their eyeballs.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    ...you're blatantly missing some things here, too. the poison didn't 'make the sim pee their pants'. that was bottoming out bladder need before getting to their poohoo bush. and getting scared by the statue when they were mean to it. the poison has a 12 hour timer and and at the end of that, the sim will either die or get over it
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

wcPR6vQ.png

Well it depends. I don't think this is the only temple in the game. I believe there are bigger temples as well. I think this was just a small temple.
    Now I’m confused.. Are there more temples? I believe it’s just this one (with five different layouts inside)?

@DeservedCriticism
    I get that there was electricity and fire and poison there, but all of those seem like things you can easily avoid if you just play smart. That's not too different from how it was in World Adventures, but World Adventures at least took itself seriously while this pack does not
    I don’t mind being able to avoid traps, as long as I have to use my brain for a bit to do it. Like pushing around statues or finding the right toggles or getting my sims skilled enough to disarm traps or jump through them (sometimes successful, sometimes not). And like I said, I really regret there doesn’t seem to be anything hidden there. In TS3 you can hide toggles and doors, it’s often the foundation of the puzzle. A room can look like a dead end, untill you discover a hidden door. I like that surprise element. I don’t believe this temple has any of that. So you don’t have to play smart to avoid them, you just can manage by not acting completely dumb ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

-Perhaps this is more of a personal pet peeve and perhaps people will actually agree with me, but I've complained many times that I think the mood system plum and multitasking does nothing but lead to endless, unwanted socializing. To see the temples themselves demand certain moods or socializing to solve puzzles....? Like honestly, are we not capable of coming up with anything else? Is this entire game just a one-trick pony that constantly sticks to the exact same concepts? As I said with the recent patch: this complaint is less about this particular feature being lacking, but rather when you get 20,000 features all looking exactly the same and feeling copy-pasted, it gets dull and it makes you question if the team is just lacking in creativity.

Huh, I always come back to Sims 4 for the game packs, and this was one was I was waiting for (I love World Adventures), but I don't know now. I have to watch the live stream to see how emotions tie into it. The emotional system is, IMO, awful and if they have to be in certain moods, then all you have to do is bring mood potions with you.