Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do your Sims find their life partners?

TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
Marriage, oh marriage… it’s been a hotly discussed topic in Sims games ever since the beginning. I’d like to know how you pair your Sims up with their soulmates :)

How do your Sims find their life partners? 137 votes

Before my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose a particular townie for them to marry.
16%
zagbooruleskiara07deepdownhelleenlinaChloeBeckittPositivibeeTempurrancepandabear1836animalshorsedogAnastaciasgemSimtown15Xavy_CatGoulsquashsimgameOxanaPihlajamaaChazzzySummerRoxyBishybriAgentEllememequeenpart2 22 votes
Before my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose one of my other Sims for them to marry, or I make a Sim specially to be their future spouse.
19%
Jessa_Dakkarthundrwilowrosealejandro15039ApparentlyAwesomeSillyhartluvMikezumiemorrilljillbgamaresitySPARKY1922February11starguruxMultiLoverambahadoerbekkasanSindocatlooksolooksoRedShoe7Shira3000plumbob3458 27 votes
After my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose a particular townie for them to marry.
3%
Emily4331saarlandbabe2TinySpaceFoxEA_MaiFabBunny 5 votes
After my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose one of my other Sims for them to marry, or I make a Sim specially to be their spouse.
13%
jaletu2005catloverplayerJoAnne65cwaddelldeedles64AnckaaBettyboop55emilybush8185MemoriiValentinesof2106cocoking_of_simcity7Himynameisbudewarminqpmommaprincess_kaguyaShadowmarkedRexySimmerstellanova 19 votes
I let my Sim choose.
24%
HejixCheesySimsLoverPeachesnDucksCororonElanoreAlexandriaicftlduGabbyGirlJdothesmustle06Bon06Torchgirl42littlemissgogoGITTE2001Sapphire268laydaywayAlphaFFrogInternal_ChaosKelvinZeeGeeMaladi777jordand 33 votes
My Sims don’t get married.
0%
lydiaofmemeteam 1 vote
Other (specify in comments)
21%
GraceyManorMamaSimTeeAnmirladreamerz13VexingQuerySimplyJenCravenLestatIreneSwiftdogdancer60smusicluvrilikethesims30TadOlsonTreyNutzmarstinsonMinxCharlottesmomKNORearcoolsim9999999DancingstarLiesSim 30 votes

Comments

• Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    After my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose a particular townie for them to marry.
    I used to make Sims specially for my Sim to marry, but after a while it felt kinda forced. These days, I usually pick townies and look them up on Sims Wiki to see if they’re single, and if their personalities might be compatible with my Sim. I suppose it helps that I play in Isla Paradiso which has quite a few good-looking townies :tongue: and if they’re not so nice-looking, well, no one ever said you couldn’t give your Sim’s potential spouse a good makeover xD
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    After my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose one of my other Sims for them to marry, or I make a Sim specially to be their spouse.
    I create sims that potentially can end up like spouse, but it isn’t always predictable. Somehow only while playing do I feel a match was made in heaven or not. But heirs always are a result of two selfmade sims.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Partners can be planned for my Sims long in advance and usually they are specifically made :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited February 2018
    Depends on the story, I’ve had them be friends from childhood, created a mate especially for them, picked from Sims with compatable traits etc... ;)
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Oops forgot to vote first...
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I pair my main sim up with a particular partner I have created for them or I create more than one sim for my main sim to pair up with, letting the game determine which one gets chosen. In the past I have also paired my main sim up with a townie who has been tweaked or with an NPC that I have captured and transformed from their pudding state.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2018
    I usually play single Supernatural Sims (many start as homeless) that I end up giving the age freeze potion and never worry about mates or families.

If my Sims do have a mate, I have made them in CAS and are already in the household.
    Post edited by Anmirla on
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I let my Sim choose.
    Um, I should have put other. Because when I did a legacy I let my sim choose but in my play town I make partners for them cause it's like, Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, Honey Wheeler and Brian Belden, etc. I'm not awake enough yet.

@Anmirla Not sure what that is in your siggy, a puppy? But those liquid eyes are so adorable I want to reach through the computer and give it a hug.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    @ZeeGee :D It's a baby fruit bat. They are adorable, aren't they? <3

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I let my Sim choose.
    @Anmirla I thought of bat but didn't want to insult you if it wasn't! Some are so deadly afraid of bats. I love them. We used to feed them at night by throwing up food and watching them catch it! (Sorry for the hijack, OP)
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I let my Sim choose.
    I like making sims, and in the past I made the spouses myself. But it didn't always feel 'natural' this way (sometimes you just see them with another sim and you're like...Yes...This is it!) so now, I just let my sims choose. There is always at least ONE townie that's good-looking or is easy to edit and my sim gets along with, and is maybe also the right age. (I used Connor Frio with my current sim) and if not, I can still make one or more potential spouses and put them somewhere in town.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    With most of my sims, I start looking for matches in during the teenage years. I check out the traits of the townie population and see if there's anyone suitable in the teen or YA age groups, although I won't break up a marriage or engagement. Appearance doesn't usually matter all that much to me, especially if my sim will be moving out, so unless someone looks like Arlo Bunch it's not much of an issue. But sometimes I get picky and don't find anyone in town who's good enough for my sims' precious offspring, so I have to get creative. I've been known to capture the odd role NPC, and if they don't work out, or I want something else for story purposes, I make my own and move them in nearby.

No matter what, though, I'm already thinking about this before my sims age up to YA. Since I play on normal lifespan, I don't want to waste too much time hoping that immigration will produce what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    Sometimes I already make a future spouse when the played sim is only a toddler. I make the future spouse a toddler or child as well so they know each other from childhood. Other times I just see how it goes when they age up and let them have some unsuccessful relationships. It sort of depends. I often change my mind and make them go gay after a few failed straight relationships etc. They always marry someone I have created though.
  • Options
    MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I play many different ways. Sometimes I create two sims and put them in the same house and build their relationship. Sometimes they hook up with a townie.

Often my young sims partner up with a housemate (unrelated). For example, I created a single mom with three kids (teen, child, toddler) and forget to set relationships so I called her a foster mom. Each went out and married a townie. As the kids grew, I kept similar ages together and partnered them up as teens and married as young adults (I play an overstuffed house)

The game I am playing now, I created a rock band (members named after a real band). They each married a townie, one of which had a child (she had a one night stand with a vampire while on vacation and the resulting child is the only vampire in town) bring the household up to nine very quickly. Now they adults are having children. I'm partnering up the new babies, but the child is older and is, hopefully, going to marry his childhood best friend which is what brought me to the forums today.

He's just aged up to teen and hadn't seen her for a few days. They met shortly after he started school. He asked her out and found out she is still a child. I've got Generations installed and there is a formal dance (I hate that it comes up so soon after becoming a teen, because their best friend/date may still be a child). I've been searching the forums for a way to determine WHEN she will age up or if I have to take action to 'encourage' her to do so (don't answer here, I'll be posting a question). It's even more annoying when they age up before my sim and choose a partner and then I have to get them to leave the partner (with NRass Story Progression they get a part-time job right away and between school and the job they get very little time together)

It's because of these complications with the timing of aging up that most of my relationships with teens are in house. I treat it as a commune, not a single family household so its not like they are dating their siblings, just very close neighbours.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Before my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose one of my other Sims for them to marry, or I make a Sim specially to be their future spouse.

Most of the time I make a sim or steal borrow a sim from a friend to use as partners for my sims. I don't do townies....well, very, very rare. I will usually have one made and in the library ready to add at the appropriate time depending on the story it might be as kids or teens or YA's.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    It's really just too big of a variable.

Lots of times I'll make somebody for them as a child (so they have time to meet and build a friendship before their teens) or teen and see how they interact as they grow up and then if they aren't getting along/don't know the other exists, I'll make them a few choices as young adults and let them pick. Often enough though I'll skip making a child or teen and just make a couple YA sims, one at a time, so if my sim meets and falls in love with the first sim I don't have to make another (since the love interest is usually a male and I hate making males. If I have to make a female I'll make them all at once).

Sometimes I'll fix up a townie if my sim has really taken to them. I really prefer not to use townies at all (EA and I have such different sim making styles. I need more consistency than that lol) but ehh some of them are okay with a bit of work and if my sim really really likes them.

Sometimes I do make somebody specific for my sim and they have no choice in the matter, it's one choice only. If I have a specific story in mind.

And sometimes my sims just don't get married or have any serious relationships at all. Some of them just like being alone, and some just want to hook up with everyone in town XD.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I let my Sim choose.
    I let my sims choose most of the time. They meet and date other sims, and sometimes they "click". :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Depends on the type of game I'm playing. I've used the "on line dating" feature a couple of times. I find that I'm not always great at finding them their true love.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Depends on the game I'm playing.

Sometimes I start with a single sim and have them marry who they show interest in. Other times I'll start with a single sim with the intention to marry a specific townie and go ahead with that if it looks like the relationship will work out.

If I'm playing a married couple who is raising children, then for their teens I might:

1. move them out without getting them into any romantic relationship and let NRaas SP sort it out. Sometimes I'll have NRaas SP rapidly immigrate some single sims and then hope for the best.
    2. have them pursue a romantic relationship with classmates who they get the wish to 'kiss for the first time'
    3. have them pursue a relationship with an RI they get from the prom

Often I'll move in their RI or steady so I can raise that sim to at least get a few skill points towards a good career, age them to YA along with my teen sim, have the RI ask the parent for their steady's hand in marriage, and do a small wedding at home with just family members. Then I move them out (sometimes getting the couple pregnant first).

I've never created a sim in CAS to add to the world for a possible romantic interest. (But see #1 above.)
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Many of my games are legacy games. If I play with the thought of legacy in mind, then I generally find a townie. I can remember only once when I made a spouse for a sim and she was passing the torch to her children, and I moved them out. Sometimes, I test to see what their babies would look like. I seldom look for traits.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I think this option suits what I do best. Because I populate all my saves they marry sims I have made and their offspring. It's not uncommon for me to choose a potential partner when they are as young as toddlers. I keep tabs on all sims born in my town and know what I have in mind genetically as soon as I see the kids. On occasion there isn't someone suitable and I will add a sim, complete with family, so that they can still grow up together before becoming partners.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I let my Sim choose.
    I think that reflects the most.
    Basically I marry my sims after they have relashionship(s), I mean they usually date for a while first. They can have boyfriend/girlfriend since they are teens.
    I let them pick to a certain level:
    The common scenario in my game is that my sim and a townie meet at a party (I play with townies too) and they get the hearts effect.
    If I think it's a good idea then I go along with it and help them keep dating and eventually get married. (Or else I break them up at some point)
    So the initial idea could be from the game but then I intervene to control the rest.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited February 2018
    It's a combination of: 3) After my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose a particular townie for them to marry and 4) after my Sim reaches adulthood, I choose one of my other Sims for them to marry, or I make a Sim specially to be their spouse.

Sometimes, I'll find a good genetic match for my Sim (good looks; is compatible with his/her traits) within the townie population, other times, I'll just cook up a Sim with those matches...and let them go to town (woohoo). :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member
    In most of my games, I make my sims future partner while they are teenagers. They don't necessarily date, but I know they will be together. I have even used story progression to make sure my sims' future spouses don't fall in love and marry someone else. The only other way I find partners is by letting roommates date.
  • Options
    dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    I usually make my Sim marry a Sim that I choose for it.