Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to do When Your Sims are Bored

CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
That household you loved three days ago, seem pretty boring today. The good parts of the story you made for them are over (most likely because you used cheats to speed it up) and you think it's time to delete them. WELL before you hit that X button in the main loading screen, take a look at this list of activities to help spice up those bland sims! P.S. I bolded the best ones.

Hobbies
1. Try and Grow a cowplant- (you can expand on this by starting a killing spree)
2. Play an instrument
3. Start a business/ Restaurant / Vet Clinic
4. Start Painting- ( use paint from reference to make some hilarious paintings of your neighbors)
5. DJ at parties
6. Go camping!
7. Change careers!

House
2. Renovate your house

3. Move to the City- (pick a really bad apartment for some fun)

4. Burn it down and start over.

5. Become Homeless (just wander around town)

6. Move in with a friend (crash on the couch, make sure to have the always welcome trait)
7. Convert a room in your house to something crazy

8. Make the house into cells (trap the sims and have them make money by selling art)

Social
1. Make a new friend
2. Lose a Friend
3. Speed Date (Date several people in one day)
4. Go to the park with friends
5. Celebrate something (Just pick something random like B-Day)
6. Make Enemies
7. Start a club ( perhaps a literature one)
8. Go out for drinks
9. Throw a party, an EPIC party
10. Trap your friends in a jail cell, I mean what
11. Kill A bunch of People
12. Rotational play (play a bunch of different neighbors)

13. Kill them off in a battle Royale to the death.
Story Ideas (The reason you're here)

2. A Partner Cheats on them

3. Family Death
4. Buying a Pet
5. Having Twins/Triplets (Use on Ley Line Lot trait- City Living)
6. Running away from home

7. Travel and Live in Each Neighborhood

8. Have a Child with over 10 different NPC's

9. Murder mystery
Hope you Enjoyed! Feel Free to recommend more!!

Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
It's a lot of fun!
Post edited by Charliecheesenurgers on

Comments

• LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Dont' forget camping too. I do that with my sims sometimes and when I can get the new GP (wait for sale of course), I'll probably take them there too. Kind of fits with the homeless aspect too or starting over if you make them live out of a tent...lol.

Nice list
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yeah I'll add that too @LosaruTaiyo
    Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
    It's a lot of fun!
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    close the game and call it a day
    Wow. That isn't what I'm talking about though. If you're thinking about deleting a household, closing the game and reopening it later doesn't help their story or lives, so you would most likely delete them. Now you don't have to... @princess_kaguya
    It's a lot of fun!
  • Emmely_BettineEmmely_Bettine Posts: 102 Member
    Thank you so much. This is great. I suppose the reason I easily get bored is because of the lack of things to do- but in reality there are so much to actually do!

I'd also add that changing your career, or trying to get to the top of 3 careers is one. Or even max out all or some of the ambitions.
    "Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them." - Sherlock
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I use rotational play so that I am familiar with various sims/households that interact with each other. I have community lots such as restaurants, spas, bowling, a movie theater (with an arcade, bar and more bowling). I also edit a lot of the townies or delete them if I don't want to bother. This means that I'm familiar with most of the random sims walking around in the game.

Whenever I send a given sim to a location, I can have different interactions based on who I am playing. There are different reasons why they are somewhere and the randoms who show up are all different. That influences what happens in my game. I might send a single sim out to meet people or I might send a couple out on a date. Sometimes, I may send parents and their children out together. Occasionally there may be more drama such as a cheating sim with a romantic interest. I also find that what happens in my game changes as my sims interact now.

An example of this is that I recently had a gorgeous teenage sim named Sakura (part Japanese) who is going to age up to YA soon. I thought I knew where I was going with her. She was going to grow up and then date her good-looking townie neighbor who lived in a neighboring apartment. That didn't happen though because one of my wealthy male teenage sims, Taylor, randomly came over to her house several times. She lives in a modest/Needs TLC apartment and her family doesn't have much money but she's really pretty. At first I had her try a romance with him but he rejected her and was really awkward, so I said that he thought she was attractive but he was snobby about her family. She was really angry about the rejection and I thought that she would hold a grudge for life but then he showed up again a few days later and now they are dating. His mother, Siobhan Fyres, is really ambitious and has high expectations for him so I think she won't be that happy about his new romantic interest. Cue a whole new bunch of ways that things could go for them.

The poor girl/rich guy plot isn't exactly uncommon but my point is that I didn't plan on it happening. I just kind of went with the surprises in my game as two of my characters that I didn't plan on introducing ran into each other. Now, I've also got a beautiful and pretty wealthy girl who is dating a good-looking guy living in the former Roomies house in Foundry Cove. There's then another wealthy teen guy who is a total player and who is looking to break some hearts while having fun. He doesn't care if he ruins others' relationships. I'll have to see who he runs into and clicks with. What kind of trouble is he going to cause? Maybe he'll fall for someone who will serve it back to him?

I just described that to give examples of how I make some interesting sims and how I figure out directions to go in with different households. I mean, sometimes I still get bored. Maaike Haas's household is very nice with her husband, daughter and cats in the little Free Spirits cottage. Honestly though? She's kind of boring now other than the cats. Her daughter is a bit strange looking and likely to be shy. I have to decide if I'll continue to play her like that, if I'll make her unplayable or if I'll come up with something more interesting. I'm definitely open to sending a plot in a new direction with new ideas sometimes.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    @ChampandGirlie that's a really good idea! I'm gonna make like one big super world and combine all of my households into one neighborhood! I can already see the drama
    It's a lot of fun!
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    Wow. That isn't what I'm talking about though. If you're thinking about deleting a household, closing the game and reopening it later doesn't help their story or lives, so you would most likely delete them. Now you don't have to... @princess_kaguya

it works for me tho, sometimes i just need to clear my head and continue the story later. if it doesnt work then i probably switch households or wait till the next gamepack, which is what im doing now :#
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    You'd be surprised how much there is actually to do, albiet somewhat limited with just basegame, but even with a stuff pack I'm sure there are some things. It can also depend on the situation.

For example, I had never been to Sixam yet until this weekend because a plot I had in mind finally called for it, where an alien born to a human father goes to track down the SPT#3 that was not "particularly nice" to the father during the abduction. The alien teen decides to finally go to get some sort of vengeance.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
    You'd be surprised how much there is actually to do, albiet somewhat limited with just basegame, but even with a stuff pack I'm sure there are some things. It can also depend on the situation.

For example, I had never been to Sixam yet until this weekend because a plot I had in mind finally called for it, where an alien born to a human father goes to track down the SPT#3 that was not "particularly nice" to the father during the abduction. The alien teen decides to finally go to get some sort of vengeance.

That's pretty cool!
    It's a lot of fun!
  • RevolverOcelotsRevolverOcelots Posts: 438 Member
    These are legit all great ideas. I mean I usually don't get bored by my game but some of these ideas I'm definitely going to take into consideration! Thanks for the suggestions! @Charliecheesenurgers
    8c1695baf85e527a0357f825b6539ff2cd9de1a7.gif Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
    @RevolverOcelots thanks so much! Glad it helped!
    It's a lot of fun!
    I updated the list so it should have all the suggestions now!
    It's a lot of fun!
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I usually will start adding extra challenges like:
    I often times will have a sim learn an instument skill then have them try to make it only on their tips.
    I also do a take over the town game where my goal is to get my family married into every household. In this I make a rule that I can only play a sim if they are from my founders bloodline, I also usually combine this with giving towns complete makeovers but I only change lots I own.

I will also find some picture of a building online and then try to build a Sims version of it as close as I can. (this has been one of the hardest and most absorbing activities I have done)
    or try to learn a new building technique.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    I'm just starting to get into rotational play. I find that I get less annoyed with being bored by a family that I'm invested in and swear I'm going to play them for the next 10 generations. IT NEVER HAPPENS!! LOL. I can't tell you how many times I try to play a family generationally and I barely get to the 3rd generation. When I don't become that invested and if they die or I get bored, I just don't care and find another family to play.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I have a challenge for myself. Play rotationally with 10-14 households, age them up evenly along with some favorite homeless townies and try to intertwine their lives together at some point. I want to try to get at least 2-4 generations through before the game corrupts or I get too bored with it. Which ever comes first.

But I have a suggestion. In the story line you could add a murder mystery or any kind of mystery if that is something that is of an interest. I play rotationally and in one household the head of house is climbing up the criminal career and will eventually be a crimeboss. There has already been one death that left one of his kids motherless which might, later, be believed as suspicious death. As of now, in his storyline, noone knows about his chosen profession and everyone that knows him believes his work is legit.

Another mystery I have planned into the storyline will involve one of the adopted children of my gay couple. The kid was found abandoned and noone knows about where he comes from. When he grows up I plan on having him try to investigate his origins. Maybe his investigations will bear some fruit or maybe not.

I also like to give the premades I have included into my rotation a careers I haven't done in other iterations of the Sims games. For instance, Cassandra Goth will in the future become a detective. A violin playing detective. Quite a cliché I know :wink: Her father is an accomplished bodice ripper novelist and has a sideline of writing some very entertaining children's adventure books.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Gosh, I don't think I've ever deleted a family that became 'boring'. Instead, it was for a variety of reason. Something that happened/didn't happen the way it was supposed to, or that totally threw off the desired storyline making starting over more desirable than merely slogging through. But, I have to say your list is well thought-out and would be helpful to those who have run out of ideas, so to speak.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Alright I'll add the new suggestions!
    It's a lot of fun!
  • GC521GC521 Posts: 6 New Member
    I always get bored of my sims in the beggining because the household is small and there are no fun activities going on. As I my family grew in the sims it became more intersting but for now I would join a club or complete some whims. :)
  • GC521GC521 Posts: 6 New Member
    Also, I would get your sims a job to make it more interesting.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Adventuring. Becoming a vampire or vampire hunter. Buy/own a store/restaurant/vet clinic. Work the active careers. Collect/craft and sell stuff with the table/mat from CL. Adopt or invite aliens/vampires to move into the household. Go to special 'nights' at the bars.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    What do I do when my sims are bored or the way I read the question - what do I do when I am bored with my current sims - answer: I delete the game
  • LoveMyMeowLoveMyMeow Posts: 38 Member
    You can also try killing them along with other unwanted sims battle royal style to see who survives.
    LoveMyMeow wrote: »
    You can also try killing them along with other unwanted sims battle royal style to see who survives.

Nice I’ll add that!
    It's a lot of fun!