Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gauging interest for a new tutorial.

So, gang.

I won't be doing a tutorial on Bool Prop Testing Cheats Enabled True for a while due to my game finally deciding that I have too much CC. Since I'm cleaning it up anyway, I was wondering how many people would like a tutorial on how to locate and delete CC using outside programs?

Things I would probably cover:

- Basic methods (finding items in bodyshop and then deleting them via downloads folder, using the in-game lot packager and clean installer to rid yourself of build and buy mode CC.)
- Wardrobe Wrangler (because I'm not re-binning stuff by hand...)
- Delphy's Download Organizer (assuming I end up needing it.)
- The Compressorizer.
- Basic organization tips, including subfoldering, and how to instantly start a "fresh" testing game file.

Let me know if you have any additional questions (which aren't about mod conflict troubleshooting, because that's a whole other kettle of fish.)
Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]

Comments

• lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    This is honestly an awesome idea ! I have some cc that don't show up (a mesh missing problem) but because the name of the file isn't written, i can't go back where i've download the said cc and search the missing mesh ^^'

(i do have a question, not about mod or cc, but do you think about doing a "MeetMe2TheRiver for dummies" ? Basically i'm "why is there two Veronaville ? Which one do i choose ? Do i need to delete all my previous save to install the downtown (as example) in the install location ? Because i have add sims in the said downtown, will they be delete, and so create corruption ?")
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I would be extremely grateful for any and all tutorials - played TS1, played TS3 - didn't play TS2. Have a notebook that still has XP on it so I decided to fire up TS2 and I'm lost. What is the purpose of secret locations? Good lord their motives drop fast... what can I do about that? How do I keep a pristine version of the neighborhoods? HELP ME!!! rofl I'd love to know about CC - know how to do it for TS3 but not TS2. Probably need a few mods but... head is now spinning. lol
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    This is honestly an awesome idea ! I have some cc that don't show up (a mesh missing problem) but because the name of the file isn't written, i can't go back where i've download the said cc and search the missing mesh ^^'

(i do have a question, not about mod or cc, but do you think about doing a "MeetMe2TheRiver for dummies" ? Basically i'm "why is there two Veronaville ? Which one do i choose ? Do i need to delete all my previous save to install the downtown (as example) in the install location ? Because i have add sims in the said downtown, will they be delete, and so create corruption ?")

This would... take some time, since I haven't actually run an uberhood before. (When I tried to run a clean Riverblossom Hills I extracted the sims myself so I could use my cc genetics.) I'd probably do the next Boolprop tutorial first, so it might not come up soon.

However, I do have some background in "how to download neighborhoods, including custom neighborhoods" so I might do that one first.
    Surreal wrote: »
    I would be extremely grateful for any and all tutorials - played TS1, played TS3 - didn't play TS2. Have a notebook that still has XP on it so I decided to fire up TS2 and I'm lost. What is the purpose of secret locations? Good lord their motives drop fast... what can I do about that? How do I keep a pristine version of the neighborhoods? HELP ME!!! rofl I'd love to know about CC - know how to do it for TS3 but not TS2. Probably need a few mods but... head is now spinning. lol

Okay, first you're going to want the wiki page of mods and actions to avoid corruption. My explanations and elaborations are in this thread, to try and smooth over technicalities.

When it comes to custom content, the first advice I have is 1) be organized when downloading (at least put clothes in one folder, hair in another, furniture in a third...) and 2) never be afraid to add stuff slowly and see if you like it. There's no "wrong" type of custom content to have, or game style to have, but never be afraid to throw stuff that you want to keep but seldom use into a folder outside your game for safekeeping.

Gameplay: Secret locations were introduced first in University. Basically, they're a lot that you can't click on from the neighborhood, and a sim needs to "learn" how to get to them. Generally speaking, you can ignore them with no consequence.

Needs: You probably have UC. Free time slightly nerfed sims' needs so that the "free time perks" wouldn't make them superheroes, but would noticeably improve their lives. Use better quality furniture (comfort, hygeine, etc should be noted in the item description) and use a combination of free time perks and aspiration items to keep their needs up.

Or you could cheat, but after you've played a sim happily for a few days they should have enough of one or the other perks to have improved quality of life.
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited February 2018

This would... take some time, since I haven't actually run an uberhood before. (When I tried to run a clean Riverblossom Hills I extracted the sims myself so I could use my cc genetics.) I'd probably do the next Boolprop tutorial first, so it might not come up soon.

However, I do have some background in "how to download neighborhoods, including custom neighborhoods" so I might do that one first.

I don't want to create an uberhood ... for now :D
    I just want to make sure that if i create a new neighbourhood, if i add a subhood,like Bluewater Village, it will be the clean version of Bluewater (Denise Jacquet became my number 1 enemies xD )
    Anyway i'm not going to do it now ^^

Edit: So, i've done it ! It's not that hard in fact x) Basically, if you just want the clean template (so if you don't want to create an uberhood), every time it's written "make sure you take backups of your existing templates first" mean that you have to choose this one to replace the maxis template in the installation folder (except for downtown, where you can choose with or without downtonies, here you only choose one of them).
    Post edited by lulubadwolf on
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Okay, first you're going to want the wiki page of mods and actions to avoid corruption. My explanations and elaborations are in this thread, to try and smooth over technicalities.

Thank you - absolutely need to know this.
    When it comes to custom content, the first advice I have is 1) be organized when downloading (at least put clothes in one folder, hair in another, furniture in a third...) and 2) never be afraid to add stuff slowly and see if you like it. There's no "wrong" type of custom content to have, or game style to have, but never be afraid to throw stuff that you want to keep but seldom use into a folder outside your game for safekeeping.

Learned this one in Sims 1 - had a serious CC addiction that got me into trouble on more than one occasion! rofl good times.
    Gameplay: Secret locations were introduced first in University. Basically, they're a lot that you can't click on from the neighborhood, and a sim needs to "learn" how to get to them. Generally speaking, you can ignore them with no consequence.

Excellent. Went to one last night and wasn't entirely sure what I should have been doing... although the candy making machine was cool. :)
    Needs: You probably have UC. Free time slightly nerfed sims' needs so that the "free time perks" wouldn't make them superheroes, but would noticeably improve their lives. Use better quality furniture (comfort, hygeine, etc should be noted in the item description) and use a combination of free time perks and aspiration items to keep their needs up.

Yes, I have UC. OK - I get the nerf thing. I'm improving household items as she earns - will look into free time perks - the aspiration items confuse me - they can only be used when sim is in a really good mood and has fulfilled lots of aspirations? Or is that TS2 speak for: it might backfire? I guess I don't understand a mood enhancer type thing that only works if you're already in a good mood... maybe it's me.
    Or you could cheat, but after you've played a sim happily for a few days they should have enough of one or the other perks to have improved quality of life.

I prefer not to use the cheats but I think I've become lazy due to TS3's easier gameplay. I love open world and create a style is to die for - but I have to say I'm enjoying this - loading screens and all. I am beginning to see why so many thought the trade-offs weren't worth it.

Thanks for your help! My simmies are grateful - they're having a hard time. lol
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I would be interested in it. If only to help get my own Sims 2 CC folder way more organized than it is (Sims 2 Exchange was not a great place to download CC at all XD)
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Yes oh please do but could it also come in a printable form?
    Yes oh please do.
    kamra19610 wrote: »
    Yes oh please do but could it also come in a printable form?

Because this might involve outside programs, I was thinking of providing it as a PDF. :)
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    This would be great! I did something way dumb...lol...when the file names had spaces or special characters, I batch renamed everything to something like CC_date1 up to the number for however many files. Now I know nothing about the file. But...at least the game runs smooth as butter. But I do need to clean out duplicates, which I know I have a ton of.
    like PDF better for printing
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    Sure I can always use something new on getting rid of bad or broken CC. I use the tray importer righ tnow and it works great but if you have an easier/faster way that is awesome!
    Sure I can always use something new on getting rid of bad or broken CC. I use the tray importer righ tnow and it works great but if you have an easier/faster way that is awesome!

Lol, that's a sims 4 thing. The sims 2 is a little less fast. ;)