The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think we will get more active careers and if so, which ones do you want to see?

So with City Living we gotten a lot trait that causes earthquakes and I was disappointed that they didn't really do anything major because have a camera shake and annoy the sims a bit (they don't even freak out). I wished we had a firefighter career and one that is more active so he could rescue sims that were trapped in an earthquake or fire, kind of like in Ambitions for Sims 3.

Do you think we will ever get anything like that? There is so much wasted potential it seems. Even with the police career and criminal career, we don't see any burglars or anything like that anymore. We need more fun and random things to happen again to keep the game from getting boring. Sims 3 wasn't my favorite (it is my least favorite, Sims 2 is my favorite); but even they had some random things like that happen.

Comments

• samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I hope so. It has been nice to have some more active careers in packs (like Get To Work, and the vet career in cats and dogs) so I hope we continue to get more. I've always found active careers and "hobby careers" (not sure what to call them but basically using the skills to make money, like writing, painting, fishing etc) way more fun and interesting than just sending your sims to some outside lot each day for a few hours.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    samemie wrote: »
    I hope so. It has been nice to have some more active careers in packs (like Get To Work, and the vet career in cats and dogs) so I hope we continue to get more. I've always found active careers and "hobby careers" (not sure what to call them but basically using the skills to make money, like writing, painting, fishing etc) way more fun and interesting than just sending your sims to some outside lot each day for a few hours.

I can't consider being a vet as an "active career" as in the sense that the game doesn't register you as being a Vet at all, just like it doesn't register store owners, and restaurant owners.

If I could think up a new active career that may be pretty interesting to work in, perhaps something in acting? That could have lots of interesting scenarios to play out on a typical work day.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    So with City Living we gotten a lot trait that causes earthquakes and I was disappointed that they didn't really do anything major because have a camera shake and annoy the sims a bit (they don't even freak out). I wished we had a firefighter career and one that is more active so he could rescue sims that were trapped in an earthquake or fire, kind of like in Ambitions for Sims 3.

Do you think we will ever get anything like that? There is so much wasted potential it seems. Even with the police career and criminal career, we don't see any burglars or anything like that anymore. We need more fun and random things to happen again to keep the game from getting boring. Sims 3 wasn't my favorite (it is my least favorite, Sims 2 is my favorite); but even they had some random things like that happen.

I actually enjoy going with my Sims to work but the drawback is leaving Sims in the household behind. We can control those left behind to a certain extent but would like to see instead of "care for self" a sleep, eat and shower option. I totally agree with you that we miss out on fun and random things in the Sims 4. I hope we get more careers.

I can't consider being a vet as an "active career" as in the sense that the game doesn't register you as being a Vet at all, just like it doesn't register store owners, and restaurant owners.

If I could think up a new active career that may be pretty interesting to work in, perhaps something in acting? That could have lots of interesting scenarios to play out on a typical work day.

I feel the Sims 4 could make so much more of the skills our Sims achieve and I am disappointed that the retail options in the game are not as good as they were in the Sims 2. I loved running a restaurant and finding numerous ways to make different retail outlets and sell many of the things my Sims made. It was a lot of fun back then. In the Sims 4 having to make career decisions at level 6 in all careers except the Get to Work where our Sims can't fulfill both sections I find restrictive and not sure why they did this.
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member

Hmm that's true, although I consider the vet to be more hands on than restaurants at least. I was always disappointed with restaurants that you couldn't actually work in them as a chef or something, so at least with vets you can play as the vet. Hence why I considered it an "active career" but I see your point. :)
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    I would love to see a teaching career added to the game. That is something we haven't had before and could open up so many possibilities for gameplay.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Acting and modelling careers perhaps.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AlveAlve Posts: 101 Member
    Teacher, mafia, acting (I can totally see a movie set lot where you'd had to practice lines, act upfront of camera, etc! At first your sim would act really bad and in the end they would deliver the most dramatic monologue). On another note: I really wish we had more part time jobs and that npc's jobs wouldn't just disappear when they move in
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I do enjoy active careers, but I would already be happy with more "normal" jobs. It gets pretty annoying to have your 10th Sim in the Culinary career.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    i would’ve said no but the Vet career is basically just the Doctor career in a new shell.

I believe we may see more of the type of careers that came with City Living at some point.

I think rabbit hole careers are now a thing of the past and we won’t see any new ones anymore.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited February 2018
    I do enjoy active careers, but I would already be happy with more "normal" jobs. It gets pretty annoying to have your 10th Sim in the Culinary career.

This. Having any new careers at all would already make me happy, because I have too many sims working the same jobs, and while most of those split into two branches halfway through, there's still a lot missing (education, construction, military, law, fashion, television, paranormal, ...). Jungle Adventures would have been a great opportunity to introduce an archaeology career, since it already comes with the corresponding skill and mechanics, and that one could have been active by making you travel to various excavation sites, finding and examining artefacts etc., but I guess that, combined with everything else the pack offers, would have been too much for a single GP.
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    I'd like a babysitting/daycare career. From home or own a business place.

The interior designer career so I have a reason to go decorate other sims houses.

A stylist career, hair makeup clothes for townies that replace their existing outfits.

I'd like the option for my sim to be a Nanny, maid gardener as well.

(These are things that wouldn't need much doing to them because they're already kind of implemented into the game. I'd just like them to make a career out of them)

I'd also like to see the option to be a landlord for my richer sims, so they can sit back and relax and be rich. Then depending on how cared for the house is it might need repairs and the landlord could either fix them to save money or hire a repairman.

• Reallysoawkward23Reallysoawkward23 Posts: 175 Member
    I’d like more careers that actually register with the system. I’m tired of my sims showing up as unemployed when they are restaurantuers, vets, and small business owners.
  • ChambersNChambersN Posts: 227 Member
    I'd love to see a teacher active career or a daycare active career
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I would have liked to see the chef career open up to owning and being a chef in your own restaurant
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member

Yes! We really need more "normal" jobs and we need part-time jobs for adults. Re: active careers, I agree with teacher and actor and stylist. I'd also love to be a therapist, active or not.
  • somnasimssomnasims Posts: 64 Member
    As many others have already said, I'd love more non active careers. There are too little of them! I like active careers as well, but unless I'm playing with like one or two sims, I don't use them because then I can't play with the rest of the family. However, the careers from city living were cool and I would like to see more of them. Especially being food critic was awesome, since you could go into a restaurant (if you had the GP) and rate it :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I want more active careers. They've done them a few ways so far. I like the GTW ones best but don't mind some of the others like from City Living, or even how they did the Vet. I don't want to send them somewhere I can't go. I only do the non active ones if it really fits the character or if I want the trait. I'm not sure many of you know but you can choose not to go with the sim in an active career. They still get ahead until you need to finish some milestone at work. I play smaller families but have sent them to work on their own many times.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think a self-employed option would be nice but I would do it like the sim is running an online store.
    They can choose things they are willing to make and sell, then each week they will get a bunch of orders that they will have to finish and send off by the end of the week.
    The amount asked for would depend on the time needed to make so you wouldn't get a writer who needs ten romance novels by the end of the week.

For basically all the crafting skills this makes sense to me since to get money you need to sell somewhere, for writing I would think of like they have a publisher contract or something.

Otherwise I wouldn't use many active careers because as others have mentioned with big families management becomes a pain, and I almost always play a full house.
    edit:typo correction
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited February 2018
    I sure hope we do. I'd love to see active education, real estate, interior designer, lawyer careers.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• PluttskuttPluttskutt Posts: 112 Member
    I do want more active careers and also more careers in general. I want careers that a sim can't get promoted in but just a raise if they're good at their job. Home help service, running a daycare, plumbing, etc are careers I'd like and the sims can also be self-employed and run their own business or have a family business.

If they added a teacher career then your sim could correct tests, work out issues between students, encourage students and affect their traits (with Parenthood) etc.
  • KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    I would like to have new careers but they don't have to be active. More careers please!
    @Pluttskutt : Yes! A teacher career would be great!
    EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    I would like to see a teacher, day care and professor active careers. I would love to see the military career come back, but as an active career. Construction, interior design and real estate would be nice. Like someon else mentioned, I would really like some of my sims to hold careers that townie sims do....handyman/plumber/electrician, mail person, babysitter, and maid. It would help them make use of skills they already have, and I have certain people picked out for these careers already. I want a lawyer/judge career. I also miss the hairdresser career in the past sims game, along with that, manicurist and esthetician would go along well with that, those 3 careers would go so well with the spa day.... it would also be nice if you could pick your sim to be the massage therapist that goes along with spa day. A couple of jobs I would like to see without being active careers are receptionist and store worker/cashier. Maybe they could incorporate that with the get to works retail system.... be able to hire cashiers etc for the stores. An acting career and singer would be good if they do a super star pack. I love the active careers.
    I have one family of 8 sims where I have one sim who is a doctor, the house hold has 2 sets of grandparents, and 2 parents and 1 child and 1 teen. That is such a fun family to play. One sim does the cooking, one the gardening and cleaning, another fishes, and does the handiwork. One is in the computer career, another in the musician career, and of course the doctor. It is a very busy household, but fun.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'd like to see more CL "work from home" careers, or add the feature to base game careers. There's a series of mods on MTS that adds "work from home" to several of the base game careers, like Tech Guru, Writer, Painter, Business etc. So in the morning you can choose whether to send the Sim to work or you can choose Work from Home and get tasks to perform. For example, a Sim in the Athlete career might have a task to work out at the gym for a couple of hours, or maybe Swim Laps. It breathes a lot of new life into the old base game jobs, and it's especially great for when you're raising toddlers; you can take turns keeping one parent home to take care of the toddler and building relationship with them inbetween your regular jobs/duties

I'd also like to see an option like "self-employed" for those who are freelancers (Sims who use skills like painting, writing, programming etc. to make money without having an actual job) or for Sims who own retail stores or restaurants. If we actually get hotel ownership/management in a future pack it would cover that as well -- maybe you just have to earn a certain amount of money to advance to the next level, and unlike the regular careers there wouldn't be a top level.

My big problem with the active careers is that it's really hard to raise a family. I've done the scientist career the most and usually my scientist woudn't get home till 7pm, which left only about 3 hours to get the kids fed and to have them do homework, my scientist's spouse to get her work task done, then everyone in bed by a decent hour, much less any time for Sims to work on skills or aspirations or even just relax and have some fun.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • thepiratepercythepiratepercy Posts: 10 New Member
    A firefighter career would be really fun! I'd actually really love to see some of the non active careers become active. I was a bit disappointed when Dining didn't let my sims become "active" chefs or whatever, and I'm sure there'd be a lot of possibilities for all of the base careers.
  • BearflexBearflex Posts: 139 Member
    I would like a Tattooist Career Track; the Sims 3 introduced tattoo parlors. It would be great as an adjunct to the artistic careers if Tattoo Artist and Body Piercing could be added. This could be a place where a Sim could go to work to or open their own place--it might be a good Game Pack idea. They've never done Barber or Beautician career either--that could be included in the pack.