March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets without cats

I love most animals but I am not a cat person. Very much not a cat person. Part of that are those who gush about how great cats are, so please don't try to change my mind. I'm thinking about getting the Pets expansion pack since I'd love to have dogs and all the Lizards, Turtles, Snakes, and Birds sound interesting. I'm a sucker for collecting. Unicorns might be fun too along with deer, raccoons etc.

What I need to know is, if I get Pets, is there mod or tuning that will keep cats out of my neighbourhoods. I don't want cats in my family. I don't want stray cats wandering about. I don't want my families friends to have cats. I don't want my new spouse to bring their cat along. No cats period. Please help.

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    NRaas register mod has a setting that will keep cats out of your neighborhood. Don’t know if it will keep townies from having pet cats though.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    NRaas Register's Animal Control settings governs strays. It's not perfect, even when set to zero for a particular species some strays will still appear from time to time, but they won't hang around for very long.

NRaas StoryProgression can be used to set a very low cap on the resident cat population. You can't set it for zero because to the mod, a zero setting there means no cap. The mere existence of SP will shut down the Neighborhood Pet Adoption scenarios before they happen and Overwatch has a similar setting. SP can also be used to disallow adoption outside of the Neighborhood Centers, but unfortunately that covers human baby adoptions as well in the same step.

I don't think there really is a solution to forcing the game be unable to produce or simulate a single cat anywhere at any time if the existence of just one or two here and there is that distressing to the player but they do want dogs in their game. Other than, sorry, playing without the Pets EP.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I broke down and bought pets.

I figured out how to get rid of stray cats
    NRass Register/Animal Control/Maximum Stray Cats/0
    (I got rid of stray horses too there are just too many of them)

But I'm still getting SP messages when someone adopts a cat. It was mentioned that Story Progression and Overwatch can limit the cat population (I can deal with one or so) but I can't find the controls to do so. I saw general pet references, but not cat specific.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims > Max Population > Cats > (try 1).

You can't set it for 0 here as mentioned earlier because to the mod 0 means no cap. You could try -1, not sure if the mod will read that correctly, but 1 should be safe if you don't mind one resident cat somewhere in the world.

Overwatch has an option to shut down the formal Neighborhood Pet Adoption Centers, this is a random inactive household that picks up the designation that will suddenly have baby animals to give away. The mere existence of SP shuts it down also. The Adoption Center household scenario often gets stuck and breaks, and the baby animals magically appear with no genetic connection to other animals in town so players tend to not like it very much. It has nothing to do with regular pet adoption from the virtual shelter.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thanks, and I noticed the change in your signature. I just reserved my username.
    I'm playing my first "Pets" game in Appaloosa Plains. I started with a single female. She met Calvin Riffin and befriended him. As the days passed, she upped that to good friend, best friend and boyfriend. My early attempts to control the cat population were City Hall/Master Controller/Sim/Advanced/Force Kill/Species/Cat/All. Now that I've limited the cat population to only one, guess who just adopted the lone kitten. Of course it was Calvin Riffin. Oh well, when they get married, the kitten will not join the family.