Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

negative Traits in game play

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I find that negative traits in TS4 don't really do much unless we're talking super specific situations. The only one I know causes drama and interesting situations is the Hot Headed trait, but that's only if your story needs many arguments and fighting. Hot Headed sims randomly snap at people and kick trash cans, so that makes for interesting stories sometimes, but other traits are just kind of....there. So to me it doesn't really make a difference whether I use them or not. I could give a sim all negative traits and she'd still mostly be a sweetheart :D
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2018
    agustd wrote: »
    I find that negative traits in TS4 don't really do much unless we're talking super specific situations. The only one I know causes drama and interesting situations is the Hot Headed trait, but that's only if your story needs many arguments and fighting. Hot Headed sims randomly snap at people and kick trash cans, so that makes for interesting stories sometimes, but other traits are just kind of....there. So to me it doesn't really make a difference whether I use them or not. I could give a sim all negative traits and she'd still mostly be a sweetheart :D

I guess that depends on how you look at it. I decided to load up that family again that I just posted about and with them. Elden is slamming fridge doors and tense, he keeps getting a mood that says he want's to escape this family. He's scowling most of the time. Yes he does go back to smile state though now and then but I think the general discomfort of his needs/household and moods is basically keeping him and enhancing his bad moods. He doesn't have time to work out (he is an active sim) because just keeping up with his needs in that household/school is rough. The mother is tense because I force her to clean and she hates it. She would probably be happier if I let the house go dirty because she's a slob. She mostly gets tense and upset when there is nothing new in the house. I don't let them be mean to each other autonomously because I don't want my story to go in that direction. However with the moods in that household I'm sure they would go that way easily if I let it. I enjoy the mood systems though and the tools they've given us through traits.. both household and sims. Some don't and don't believe it does anything. It's all a matter of opinion. Not sure that's what this thread is about in the long run though.

Edited she's not a slob she's lazy and hates to clean. So she also hates it when it's dirty lol.. yeah she's not winning in that house.
    Lol.. this just happened when I went back. He started yelling at her..
    2lau4vt.png
    Post edited by Hermitgirl on
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    agustd wrote: »

I guess that depends on how you look at it. I decided to load up that family again that I just posted about and with them. Elden is slamming fridge doors and tense, he keeps getting a mood that says he want's to escape this family. He's scowling most of the time. Yes he does go back to smile state though now and then but I think the general discomfort of his needs/household and moods is basically keeping him and enhancing his bad moods. He doesn't have time to work out (he is an active sim) because just keeping up with his needs in that household/school is rough. The mother is tense because I force her to clean and she hates it. She would probably be happier if I let the house go dirty because she's a slob. She mostly gets tense and upset when there is nothing new in the house. I don't let them be mean to each other autonomously because I don't want my story to go in that direction. However with the moods in that household I'm sure they would go that way easily if I let it. I enjoy the mood systems though and the tools they've given us through traits.. both household and sims. Some don't and don't believe it does anything. It's all a matter of opinion. Not sure that's what this thread is about in the long run though.

Edited she's not a slob she's lazy and hates to clean. So she also hates it when it's dirty lol.. yeah she's not winning in that house.
    Lol.. this just happened when I went back. He started yelling at her..
    2lau4vt.png

I totally love this! I wish I could keep my mitts off micromanaging so much. I really think I'd enjoy the game even more if I could sit on my hands or something. Tsk.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    ghilie wrote: »
    Lately I have been giving all my sims a negative trait or two. Klepto is my favorite, but I also like mean, evil, lazy, and slob. I gave my latest sim the glutton trait so he can forage food out of garbage cans. I especially love cheating parenthood traits onto sims. Negative traits seem to give sims more personality.

Agreed! We need more negative traits. Actually, to be more specific, we need more STRONG traits. There are so many that just add an occasional buff which is extremely weak when it comes to gameplay and personality. I want to be able to observe a sim for a while and be able to list their traits without actually looking their traits up because they actually express the traits given in an obvious way! We need traits that not only add buffs but ones that have unique interactions, special idles, and autonomous decision making based on their traits. This would enrich the game in a strong way.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Lately I have been giving all my sims a negative trait or two. Klepto is my favorite, but I also like mean, evil, lazy, and slob. I gave my latest sim the glutton trait so he can forage food out of garbage cans. I especially love cheating parenthood traits onto sims. Negative traits seem to give sims more personality.

Agreed! We need more negative traits. Actually, to be more specific, we need more STRONG traits. There are so many that just add an occasional buff which is extremely weak when it comes to gameplay and personality. I want to be able to observe a sim for a while and be able to list their traits without actually looking their traits up because they actually express the traits given in an obvious way! We need traits that not only add buffs but ones that have unique interactions, special idles, and autonomous decision making based on their traits. This would enrich the game in a strong way.

Agreed. For example, we should see loners making the effort to be alone. We should see loves outdoors sims sitting outside most of the time, enjoying the fresh air.

By the way, childish and hot-headed is a fun combination. Buy them a huge cuddly toy and watch them beat the stuffing out of it! They'll also talk to the toy and this fulfills their social need.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »

Agreed. For example, we should see loners making the effort to be alone. We should see loves outdoors sims sitting outside most of the time, enjoying the fresh air.

By the way, childish and hot-headed is a fun combination. Buy them a huge cuddly toy and watch them beat the stuffing out of it! They'll also talk to the toy and this fulfills their social need.

Yes, it does bug me when my loner Sims get whims to make a friend... :s
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    Having a set up of 1 good trait, 1 hobby/interest and one negative trait is something I almost always do when I create Sims. if not they could potentially have more negatives/interests, my Sims already turn out naturally attractive by a habit that I can't seem to break.. Giving them personalities to match would make me ill. Nobody is like that, and while Sims is not necessarily aiming for realism, who really wants to be Mr/Mrs. All-rounder?
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    A good many of seemingly positive or neutral traits can actually quickly become a pain to play with if the Sim's need for a particular something is not met. That said, I'm not at all fond of slob, unflirty, evil, mean-spirited and hates children.

I'm most used to play with noncommittal. It can be challenging, because the Sim will start to loathe having both a partner as well as a job. Even the Serial Romantic aspiration doesn't really fit a noncommittal Sim, because as soon as a relationship becomes "official" and has a distinguishing name, they want out. Another thing; when they express concern about commitment to simply a friend with benefits, the relationship doesn't suffer. But if they are in fact going steady, it causes both the friendship and romantic relation to go down.

So, in order to keep a noncommittal Sim happy - have them make money by selling crafted items, not by having a job, and settle for friends with benefits who will be more understanding when your Sim needs to word their fears of entrapment.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I try to give my Sims at least 1 negative trait, it's rare that a Sim of mine will have all positive traits. I use all negative traits for a Sim much more. When it comes to lot traits I don't really try to balance the good and bad traits, I just use whichever I feel suit my family best.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    A good many of seemingly positive or neutral traits can actually quickly become a pain to play with if the Sim's need for a particular something is not met. That said, I'm not at all fond of slob, unflirty, evil, mean-spirited and hates children.

I'm most used to play with noncommittal. It can be challenging, because the Sim will start to loathe having both a partner as well as a job. Even the Serial Romantic aspiration doesn't really fit a noncommittal Sim, because as soon as a relationship becomes "official" and has a distinguishing name, they want out. Another thing; when they express concern about commitment to simply a friend with benefits, the relationship doesn't suffer. But if they are in fact going steady, it causes both the friendship and romantic relation to go down.

So, in order to keep a noncommittal Sim happy - have them make money by selling crafted items, not by having a job, and settle for friends with benefits who will be more understanding when your Sim needs to word their fears of entrapment.

That's how I handle a non-committal sim. Treat them like they're unemployed on benefits and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 around. Funnily enough though, my non-committal sims have been holding down jobs just fine lately.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited May 2018
    My favorite is to use the Good trait with the Lazy and Slob traits. The result is a Sim that means well, but doesn't exercise or clean. (Kind of like someone I personally know.) Another favorite is Loner, Bookworm, and Computer Whiz. I also like to combine the Snob and Squeamish traits. The Glutton and Foodie and Snob traits go well together for the Critic profession.
    Evil, Mean, and Hot-headed go well together also.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have a habit of making nice sims. During CAS, they look happy and are smiling, so I feel guilty making them a plumhole. LOL
    I did make a bratty child once. I think I'm going to experiment with some mean sims. One time I made a grouchy old man. LOL
    I seldom played that sim. But its time to mix things up.

how many traits can you choose in Sims 4??
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    I always tend to make fairly good Sims on the whole, with neutral/good traits. Occasionally in Sims 3 I'd make a Sim "neurotic" or "absent-minded", but that was as far as it went. I usually make partners different to each other, but with maybe one trait in common. Obviously by neutral traits I mean the skill-based ones, or stuff like "loves the outdoors".
    I suppose what I get from it is that my Sims might start off being similar, but I then see how their lives pan out (eg number of kids, their careers, general life events). I think it also ties in to the fact that I tend to be a "family" Simmer, in that I start off with a married couple and get them to have loads of kids.

You can choose 3 traits in CAS, but can earn more through gameplay (you get a 'bonus' trait when you choose the aspiration, plus another one when you achieve that aspiration, for example). If you raise a kid from birth, they can earn loads more. I played one family under the "long" lifespan, and the daughter managed to achieve all the childhood aspirations, plus she'd had the time to max all the toddler skills...
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Personally i really miss a mandatory weakness.
    Three traits and one mandatory weakness would be great. Also make them actually matter (half of the negative traits are pontless (like clumsy)).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    I always tend to make fairly good Sims on the whole, with neutral/good traits. Occasionally in Sims 3 I'd make a Sim "neurotic" or "absent-minded", but that was as far as it went. I usually make partners different to each other, but with maybe one trait in common. Obviously by neutral traits I mean the skill-based ones, or stuff like "loves the outdoors".
    I suppose what I get from it is that my Sims might start off being similar, but I then see how their lives pan out (eg number of kids, their careers, general life events). I think it also ties in to the fact that I tend to be a "family" Simmer, in that I start off with a married couple and get them to have loads of kids.

You can choose 3 traits in CAS, but can earn more through gameplay (you get a 'bonus' trait when you choose the aspiration, plus another one when you achieve that aspiration, for example). If you raise a kid from birth, they can earn loads more. I played one family under the "long" lifespan, and the daughter managed to achieve all the childhood aspirations, plus she'd had the time to max all the toddler skills...

thanks ! :) I didn't get a chance to make a mean sim last night, so hopefully, tonight is the night to stir up some trouble with my sims. LOL
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @Scorpina2009
    When I first started playing the Sims 4 I'd only make good happy sims. I actually used the cheerful trait on most of them for awhile which is kind of funny to me now. Then I'd work on getting them ahead and aspirations mainly. I think the first sim I tried to make evil with another negative trait was eye opening fun. I went through the mischief aspiration with them and was really rooting for them the whole time lol.
    I also use to buy them all the traits to make them perfect.. but I don't do that as much now. I usually avoid also making them tension and embarrassment free at this point also. I kind of do think it's funny how the way I played the past sims games I've played has broadened to include other character types.
    I've always been a deviant player (at times).. but really never embraced playing a deviant or character flawed(?) sim till now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    A friend of mine made ALL of his sims a Cancer in TS2 - because they would all be the same. I remember thinking how boring that would be. I guess we all like to play it our own way I like to mix it up sometimes. I made the Odd Couple in 2, I thought it was so funny when the slobby one (Oscar?) tried to hug Felix and Felix turned his nose up and shook his head and arms like "no way!!! I don't want you touching me!"

That was fun.