Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blow dryer to thaw freezing sims?

AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
I seem to remember when I played the disk version of Sims 2 that when a sim froze and collapsed in the snow (funny!) that another sim could use a blow dryer to thaw them out but I just had two sims freeze in the UC version I am playing now and the two sims that were not frozen had no options to help the frozen ones. The two unfrozen sims were teens but I thought teens could do this. Am I just remembering wrong - maybe it was sims 3 this happened in? I thought the two frozen ones were going to die since I did not have the option to thaw them with a blow dryer! They didn't - they just randomly finally got up and then I made them get hot chocolate (I like the blow dryer though - it is funny!).
In the UC version that I am playing now sims get colder and hotter much faster than they did when I played the disk version.

Comments

• Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I think the "thaw" interaction is only available to adults? I've never actually used it in-game, because I am somewhat vigilant about not killing my sims.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    OK - so maybe that was the issue since they were only teens - thank you! I have to be way more vigilant in the UC version - they freeze really fast!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think you are remembering TS3 and not TS2. I have never seen this option and Sims can't really save each other like that in TS2. The only options I know about in TS2 was to get them to a fire place or one of those fire place stoves and have them warm up. Or try to get them in the house when they get too cold or drink hot chocolate.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    That is quite possible! I play sims 2, 3 and 4 at various times so I forget sometimes what is in one and not the other!
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Ya that was Sims 3. I agree it was hilarious! :D First time I saw it I just about died laughing! :joy:
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think you are remembering TS3 and not TS2. I have never seen this option and Sims can't really save each other like that in TS2. The only options I know about in TS2 was to get them to a fire place or one of those fire place stoves and have them warm up. Or try to get them in the house when they get too cold or drink hot chocolate.

Actually, sims who freeze solid can be saved. Saving the frozen sim is same as in TS3 (using the hairdryer). This is the effect when sim's internal temperature is extremely low (that the thermometer even glows blue).
    Unlike in The Sims 3, sims whose internal temperature is too high (that the thermometer glows red), they will pass out due to a headstroke. Other sims can save them simply by pouring water on them, so it's like feezing.
    Also unlike in The Sims 3, sims in The Sims 2 cannot die by freezing or heatstroke. If you don't save the sims, they'll get up on their own after some time (Unlike in The Sims 3 where sim stays frozen for hours until they either starve and die or are saved). If sim starves, they'll only get up just to collapse again from starvation.
    Thanks everyone! I will test it. I did find one video on youtube for sims 2 using the blow dryer on a frozen sim - it was a servo though so I was not sure if that was why it could be done there. I also found a sims 2 video showing a sim pouring water on another sim that passed out from heat exhaustion. So, it seems these options should be there in sims 2. It is good to know that sims 2 sims do not die from it though - thought they were going to die! Their needs were going down pretty fast but I just used the cheat to bring their needs up to make sure they wold not die from starvation.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

Actually, sims who freeze solid can be saved. Saving the frozen sim is same as in TS3 (using the hairdryer). This is the effect when sim's internal temperature is extremely low (that the thermometer even glows blue).
    Unlike in The Sims 3, sims whose internal temperature is too high (that the thermometer glows red), they will pass out due to a headstroke. Other sims can save them simply by pouring water on them, so it's like feezing.
    Also unlike in The Sims 3, sims in The Sims 2 cannot die by freezing or heatstroke. If you don't save the sims, they'll get up on their own after some time (Unlike in The Sims 3 where sim stays frozen for hours until they either starve and die or are saved). If sim starves, they'll only get up just to collapse again from starvation.

All I know is when Seasons was first release Sims could die from being frozen, then the forum exploded with people crying their Sims died so they released two Season patches to correct this and other things. Snooty Sims used to have a list of all the deaths and how they had lowered the ratios and it would be much harder for anyone to die. Like struck by lightning no longer kills them 99% of time now, just burns them. They even went back with those Season patches and changed the chance of other deaths to make it harder since so many had in the Inteen mod and said they didn't and complained the Seasons EP was killing all their Sims so they adjusted all those ratios and the pack was never as much fun after that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    So, I just tested it - the blow dryer warm up is indeed in Sims 2! It took a little bit before the option came up but it finally did - yippee! I tried to test the heat exhaustion too and did get a sim to pass out but he got right back up so could not try to pour water on him but I assume it is there if the blow dryer one for frozen sims is. Thanks again for all the info everyone! Mystery solved!
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    So, I just tested it - the blow dryer warm up is indeed in Sims 2! It took a little bit before the option came up but it finally did - yippee! I tried to test the heat exhaustion too and did get a sim to pass out but he got right back up so could not try to pour water on him but I assume it is there if the blow dryer one for frozen sims is. Thanks again for all the info everyone! Mystery solved!

Oh cool! I don't think I ever had a Sims 2 sim freeze before. I know I did it in 3 on purpose to see what happened. :joy:
  • spoopyspoopy Posts: 21 New Member
    i think thats prob sims 3, but i hope that comes back in sims 4 bc that was hilarious