Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to prevent burglars?

Is there a mod or some other way to completely prevent burglars from trying to break in? I know I can put a burglar alarm, but that doesn't stop them from trying to come in my house and waking up my sims. I don't want them to appear on my lot at all, if that's possible. The last time one tried to break in, I shift clicked him and deleted him, but I'm afraid it might corrupt my game if I do that too much. I stopped playing the sims 3 because of the burglars because don't like anything bad/unexpected happening to my sims. I really want to play again though. Is there any way to prevent the burglars?
Am I too lost to be saved?
Am I too lost?

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If you get NRAAS MasterController mod you can totally annihilate sims without worrying about leaving stuff behind. Shift Click Delete just removes their body, the sim is still in the game you just can't see them and you can't make them visible by adding clothes.

NRAAS Story Progression may allow you to get rid of burglars.

You'll find useful info here

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/search/view/burglars
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    You can place the alarm on an exterior wall.
    The further from the bedrooms the better ... Even on the exterior wall of an unconnected garage can work.
    If you build a gatehouse at the entrance of your property ... You can put it on a wall there.

When the alarm goes off ... It's not inside the house.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    It does require a mod to suppress the burglar scenario entirely, but sorry StoryProgression has nothing to do with it and the NRaas search page isn't really going to help in this case. Deleting the burglar sim no matter how it's done won't help either because the game will just keep creating new ones to replace them in the service pool for next time.

If not averse to using mods though, NRaas Retuner can be used to set the Chance of Burglar down to 0 which should prevent the scenario from ever firing.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2018
    OP need the Retuner path to turn it off. I can try to find it if someone doesn't already know what it might be under.. I still have a hard time finding certain things with Retuner. I know I've tuned the burglar setting in my game game through Retuner but I don't remember the path off the top of my head.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Thank you, thank you, thank you @igazor! I only recently installed Retuner at your suggestion and, thanks to your answers to people on the forum, am learning new tricks with it every day (well, almost every day ;) ).

@SimplyJen I will keep my eye on this thread in case you do find the path as I do find Retuner to be very confusing. Thank you :)
    edited January 2018
    This isn't going to be exactly right, I'm too far away from my game right now to get the actual path. Will leave this here as a placeholder and fix it when I get a chance later on unless someone beats me to it.

NRaas > Retuner > Settings > General > By Tunable XML > Sims3.Gameplay.Services > Burglar > kChanceOfBurglar > 0 (default is 0.025)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I will be loading my game in a few minutes so will start looking in this direction. I suspect you remember better than you think :) Thanks :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    This isn't going to be exactly right, I'm too far away from my game right now to get the actual path. Will leave this here as a placeholder and fix it when I get a chance later on unless someone beats me to it.

NRaas > Retuner > Settings > General > By Tunable XML > Sims3.Gameplay.Services > Burglar > kChanceOfBurglar > 0 (default is 0.025)

Got it. Just set it to 0 in my game. Not particularly because I want it that way but it was interesting to see if this path works and it is perfection - as expected.
    edited January 2018
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @igazor I will be loading my game in a few minutes so will start looking in this direction. I suspect you remember better than you think :) Thanks :)
    Oh, you guys think I do this all from memory? Ha! :p

I carry a copy of the game's ITUN file, that is, things that can be reached by tuning that way, around wherever I go (okay, not really that either but I just happened to have it handy right then) for reference. It's just a huge XML file that can be searched for interesting words like "burglar." This isn't a deep, dark secret either, the file is available near the bottom of this page: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Retuner+FAQ
    (the 1.63 version is still valid, there weren't any changes here in the later patches)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    Thank you so much! I'm so happy to be able to play the game again :)
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got a Mod installed from Simsasylum that removes burglars from my game installed and can easily uninstall it if I want them back in my game again.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    If anyone doesn't want to use mods, or has enough already, the burglar can just be reset with the command console. As soon as he or she appears on the lot, you can see the name, and resetsim works just fine. The burglar doesn't get deleted, just sent back to the purgatory where NPCs hibernate whenever the game doesn't need them. (I also do this with cops that try to catch my teens out after curfew.)

In big families, I never seem to get burglars no matter how long I play. I wondered why for a long time, but then I realized that they only come when everyone's asleep. So if I have a sim with a late work shift (chef, musician, athlete, etc.) who stays up most of the night, the burglar can't show up. Even babies who are awake in their crib seem to prevent a robbery, and since they only sleep a few hours at a time, their sleep schedules rarely synch with the rest of the household. I guess they make better witnesses in TS3 than in real life.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    If anyone doesn't want to use mods, or has enough already, the burglar can just be reset with the command console. As soon as he or she appears on the lot, you can see the name, and resetsim works just fine. The burglar doesn't get deleted, just sent back to the purgatory where NPCs hibernate whenever the game doesn't need them. (I also do this with cops that try to catch my teens out after curfew.)

In big families, I never seem to get burglars no matter how long I play. I wondered why for a long time, but then I realized that they only come when everyone's asleep. So if I have a sim with a late work shift (chef, musician, athlete, etc.) who stays up most of the night, the burglar can't show up. Even babies who are awake in their crib seem to prevent a robbery, and since they only sleep a few hours at a time, their sleep schedules rarely synch with the rest of the household. I guess they make better witnesses in TS3 than in real life.

Aliens don't ever sleep (teen and above) so they coincidentally prevent burglars as well. There was another life state I recently played which never slept and so would prevent burglars from appearing.....mummy I think it was.

I once had a self-employed sim with the Night Owl trait. He worked from early evening to ~6am (inventing) and slept until noon. Never had burglars in that household.
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I remember I had a glitch that whenever my family had a baby, they would always be Bulgared no matter what. I NEVER had that glitch again so I think it was the save file.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Another thing that you could do is use NRaas register to set the service pool for burglars to 0. Then there won't be any around at all. Retuner will keep them away from your sims' house, but you might still see them around town, unless you eliminate them entirely with Register.

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    If your sims have the heavy sleeper trait , they will sleep through the burglar alarm
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Another thing that you could do is use NRaas register to set the service pool for burglars to 0. Then there won't be any around at all. Retuner will keep them away from your sims' house, but you might still see them around town, unless you eliminate them entirely with Register.

Yes, this is what I would suggest. I use NRaas Register to eliminate several of the EA service pools by setting them to 0. If my sim is not going to own a resort I get rid of all those workers. Also if my sim will not join one of the Showtime professions I eliminate all of those too. Less unnecessary sims cluttering up the game/town.
    I was under the impression that if a specific scenario like the burglar one calls for a Service Sim (a burglar), that the game will spawn one even if the service pool category is set to zero. But I haven't tried this myself, I only very rarely see burglaries anyway, so could have been mistaken.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I was under the impression that if a specific scenario like the burglar one calls for a Service Sim (a burglar), that the game will spawn one even if the service pool category is set to zero. But I haven't tried this myself, I only very rarely see burglaries anyway, so could have been mistaken.

I never turn off burglars so don't know one way or another really. With the resort worker pools at zero I can use MC and see there are none. I don't know what would happen if I added a resort lot and then tried to buy it and run it, if EA would generate the workers in spite of the Register settings.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member

Can the chance be set to 0.01? I want burglars in my game, but less often. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    Cororon wrote: »

Can the chance be set to 0.01? I want burglars in my game, but less often. :smile:
    Yes, of course.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

I tried this when I first installed Register and I still got burglars so you are right.
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    give them the lucky trait, brave Sims don't get burglarized too much either. Guess the burglars know who to pick on.
    And my martial arts Sims hardly ever get burglarized.
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited February 2018
    Is there a mod or some other way to completely prevent burglars from trying to break in? I know I can put a burglar alarm, but that doesn't stop them from trying to come in my house and waking up my sims. I don't want them to appear on my lot at all, if that's possible. The last time one tried to break in, I shift clicked him and deleted him, but I'm afraid it might corrupt my game if I do that too much. I stopped playing the sims 3 because of the burglars because don't like anything bad/unexpected happening to my sims. I really want to play again though. Is there any way to prevent the burglars?

put a gate around your property and if you don't mind using the cheat, use move objects on cheat and put those alarms right in front of the fence, on each side the door is on, and don't forget garage entrances, you can put those alarms inside the garages, near the garage door.
    Because some burglars are sneaky & will use that to get in if its not protected.
    When you use the cheat those alarms will be suspended in the air, and as soon as a burglar passes that point it goes off.
    If its just outside the fence your sim won't even hear it.
    As soon as the alarms go off the police come.
    Using Nraas MC I just reset them, they go into oblivion and my Sims sleep on through the night. Sometimes I even do it to aliens because I don't want my Sims abducted.

2ll0nxc.jpg

eryg41.jpg
    Post edited by Sapientsimsolid on
    Thanks @igazor :) I have been playing my new save for about 26 sim days and not a single burglar even though I have been sending my sims to bed early. Retuner is a sanity saver! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top