Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Option to Water Garden Plants

Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
I harvested some blackberries from the Oasis Springs park, brought them home to Forgotten Hollow (I have Vampires now!! Yay!) and then planted them in the ground. I could water 2 out of 8, but the other 6 only had 'view wild blackberry plant' as an option. :( I tried a variety of things to get the option to show, but ended up just deleting them, which bums me out.

Here's what I tried to fix it:

1. Save and click on Manage Worlds
2. Travel to another lot
3. Move plants around the lot
4. Put them in a planter box
5. Exit and re-enter the game
6. Put them in personal Inventory (wouldn't go in there, but I tried lol)
7. Put them in Household Inventory
8. Repair the game
9. Clean out cache files

None of the above worked. The plants still grew, but I couldn't do anything other than 'view' them. Any ideas why? Any other suggestions other than refresh my Sims folder? That's one of the only things I haven't tried yet, I've never done that. As a side note, I've never had this problem before and I had recently downloaded the Vampires GP and the Laundry Day SP. Not sure if that's relevant, but thought I'd mention it.

I also haven't tried to plant on other lots or in other worlds yet to see if it's just this lot, world or save. That was my next step if there isn't any other suggestions. Maybe Forgotten Hollow is a hostile/infertile ground to 'foreign' plants? You'd think all those dead bodies around the neighborhood would be good fertilizer, but noooooo, pfft. lol Has anyone else successfully raised 'outside' plants there?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    edited January 2018
    Hello
    Try harvesting other plants from the Oasis Springs Park and see if they are able to be watered and harvested on your home lot.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Okay, that's something I haven't tried yet. I'll post an update later tonight when I get a chance to play again. Thanks @rosemow! <3
    Hey @rosemow I sent my Sim back to Oasis Springs park where she harvested 10 more blackberries. She took them home to FH and planted them in the planter boxes. Only half of them had the option to water, the rest could only be viewed again.

I guess my next step is to try another save and see if Sims in that one have the same problem. Or maybe I should try on another lot or world first? Thoughts?
    Hello
    Try resetting your sims 4 folder, starting a new save game file, and testing to see if it occurs there also . To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited January 2018
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hey @rosemow I sent my Sim back to Oasis Springs park where she harvested 10 more blackberries. She took them home to FH and planted them in the planter boxes. Only half of them had the option to water, the rest could only be viewed again.
    I guess my next step is to try another save and see if Sims in that one have the same problem. Or maybe I should try on another lot or world first? Thoughts?
    Did you try planting the newly gathered blackberries in the ground? Are these the only plants with this issue? It has been a while since I have had any Sim even travel to FH so I do not recall having issues with gardening. I would say follow what @Rosemow posted above to see if that helps.

Edit: I saw in your original post that you tried the first ones collected on both planters and in the ground.

Hello
    If you are continuing to have issues, try seeing if the same thing occurs with other types of plants, and gathered from other different lots.
    edited January 2018
    @rosemow I apologize for the delay in my reply, I went to bed after posting above. Anyway, I've never refreshed my Sims 4 folders before, a little hesitant to do it. I know it won't hurt anything but it will put back a TON of stuff I've deleted from my game in order to play properly due to my toaster laptop. For instance, my library will be loaded up with all the venues that came with packs I have, the worlds will be fully loaded with lots and Sims, etc. I play with a template I made with barebones worlds, very few venues, premade lots, Sims etc.

So, that's going to be a last resort situation. I'll try your second suggestion above this post first when I get back into my game. I don't have any other glitches happening apart from a small incident with the clothesline, game runs quite smooth, graphics are sharper and brighter than ever too actually. Thanks again for your help, I'll report back later tonight. *Hugs* <3

Hey @EuphorialQueen Yep, my Sim had planted them in the ground when I first discovered this problem. But thanks for the suggestion! :) No problems with other things I've planted; a dragonfruit, plasma fruit tree, Sixam mosquito plant and numerous cowberries I've fished up. With the exception of the cowberries (which I deleted for the simoleans ;)) and blackberries, everything else I've planted has been only one each. Don't know if that's relevant, but yeah... *shrugs*
    Hello
    When you reset your Sims 4 folder, you don’t need to keep playing with the game as if it is a new game. You will be placing back the old saves and tray folders, replacing the newly generated saves and tray folder with these ones.
    It would be good though to try doing first the other suggestion that I posted, and any other testing.
    edited January 2018
    I know, but won't resetting the folders restore wherever the Maxis premade venues that came with various packs came from too? It'll load those back in the game (my library), right? Which folder when resetting puts all those back in my library? My tray and screenshots folders are empty. I pull out files from there and organize them in folders on my hard drive. Same with save files, I have too many to count but only keep the most current ones I'm playing in the folder.

Right now I have three saves in there; my template, my Challenge Mash-up and my newest one I started after downloading Vampires and Laundry Day. I have no mods, no CC, no custom music files etc. So the only folders I would need to put back after resetting (if I do it) would be the Saves, Options.ini and whatever folder Maxis Premade Pack venues are kept in, right?

EDIT: Wait, I think you're saying I don't actually need to start a new save after resetting, just go into the game so it generates new folders, then exit and put back any relevant folders. If that's the case, the only folder I need to make sure I put back (besides Saves & Options.ini) is the one that holds the premade Maxis pack venues. I think? lol I'm confusing myself. o.O
    Hello
    If you reset your sims 4 folder, start the game so that a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders of the same type with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder. By doing this, your folders will be exactly the same as before you reset your sims 4 folder.

If you are still a little concerned, try deleting the cache files instead of resetting the sims 4 folder and see if that helps
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
    Okay, yep, I get all that about resetting my Sims 4 folder. I apologize for being such a pain. But, I distinctly remember another thread where someone had deleted all the venues that came from various packs from their library and wanted to get them back. This person asked if there was any way to get them without downloading each individual venue from the gallery.

If I remember correctly, they were informed that a particular folder holds all those and when deleted it will regenerate venues back to your library the next time the game is opened to play. Do you remember that conversation/thread? I just need to know what folder that would be if I decide to reset. Thanks!

Also, I always delete cache files before every play session anyway, but thanks for the suggestion! :)
    The tray folder is where the items that you save to your library are kept. Your library also holds the venues that come with the packs. But I think that although these venues are in your library, their files aren’t kept in the tray folder.
    If you delete the newly generated tray folder, and replace it with the old tray folder, I stilll don’t think that the venues will be generated in your library.
    Ah, okay, cool. Thanks for being so patient with me. <3
    Resetting your sims 4 folder may not help this issue that you are having, so it may be best to not do it, and instead do other testing.
    There may just be an issue with blackberries in that save game.
    That very well may be the case. I plan to try your other suggestions first, so it's all good. I don't feel the problem is drastic enough to reset my folders. But, I might do it anyway sometime just to see if it makes any difference in gameplay otherwise.

What I really need is a new computer. lol Then I wouldn't need to worry about keeping my game so streamlined and all the fussy stuff I do just to play the game. Oh well, one day, at least I can play! :) I'm actually amazed it runs so well with all the packs that I have loaded. *knock on wood* Hope I didn't jinx it now. o.O :p
    If you decide to purchase a new computer into the future and would like help and advice in getting a computer that handle the game and packs, it would be good to post on a thread in the Sims 4 Tech section and simmers there will help you :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-technical-discussions

Just in case you didn’t know, this is a link to how to disable packs.You may though already know this :)
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/03/disable-single-packs/
    Hey @rosemow, you might be right about the glitch involving only blackberries in my save. I sent my Sim back to Oasis Springs to harvest more plants and she harvested some in Sylvan Glades too. Back on her home lot she planted 6 chrysanthemums from OS and 6 bluebells from Sylvan Glades. All of them had the 'water' option available.

So far the no water option showing up glitch has only occurred with blackberries from OS twice. I spent the rest of my time in game last night/early morning remodeling her home and haven't tried to harvest anything else yet. My next action to try is harvesting blackberries from other lots other than OS to see if it's a global glitch or just blackberries from OS. I'll test it out later tonight when I get back in game.

I did have a couple other glitches, one involving her lot in FH. That lot seems to have a texture/graphical code issue going on. I had placed a rug down in a room, but decided to try a different one in there. I didn't want to delete it just yet, so I grabbed it to move outside on the lawn. Well, when I hovered over an area near the front of the lot with the rug, it appeared to go partially underneath the grass. I moved it around and discovered the entire front of the lot has multiple areas in a pattern that is glitching out in this manner. I neglected to take a pic at the time, but I can take one to show what I mean if you'd like to see it? Let me know.

Also, Delilah was fishing with frogs in pursuit of the elusive wolf eel behind the museum in WC. She had 3 Sunflower frogs queued up for bait and 2 Sunsurfer frogs in her personal inventory I was keeping for breeding purposes. When she ran out of the Sunflower frogs, I clicked to select a different bait (bluebells) and noticed that supposedly there was still one Sunflower frog in her inventory. Puzzled, I looked in there closer and discovered in reality ALL her frogs were gone. o.O

Here's the interesting part. Once I sent her back to the home lot in an effort to clear the glitch and get the Sunsurfer frogs back, she then had 2 Sunflower frogs, but still no Sunsurfer. Weird... I decided to try breeding them to see if maybe that would prompt the game to update with the correct frogs. All that accomplished was another Sunflower frog. It seems as if the Sunflower frogs had overtaken the Sunsurfer frogs which bums me out because those are worth 125 simoleans each, whereas the Sunflowers are only worth 30.

I KNOW for a fact I did not accidentally use the Sunsurfer frogs instead of the Sunflower when fishing. I had 3 Sunflower frogs and she caught 3 fish with them before running out, and I had only 2 Sunsurfer for breeding. Yes, the names are similar but I'm careful about such things. This isn't my first rodeo. lol Any ideas why the game would do that?

One last thing, Summer Holiday had prepared a batch of Grilled fruit at the area near where my Sim was fishing behind the museum and put them on a picnic table. I directed my Sim to 'grab a serving' but the only option was 'resume cooking.' So I clicked that and my Sim froze. I had to reset her which resulted in her doing the T-pose and dropping the platter of food. I again clicked on the platter and now the option to 'grab a serving' was available. Cool. Well, instead of grabbing a serving, she grabbed the entire platter and was stuck again. I reset her twice with the same T-pose/stuck result before giving up and sending her home by hitting 'M' for manage worlds. Poor girl was starving by then. :(

This save is the glitchiest one I've ever had. Nothing major though, just minor annoyances really, but it is concerning.

BTW, I certainly appreciate the links to tech and info on disabling packs. You're so helpful! *hugs* However, you're correct, I do already know about both, thanks again anyway. <3
    Hello
    It will good to hear how the further testing with the black berries goes.
    With the ground texture issue, it may help to save the home to your libary, bulldoze the lot, then place the saved version of the build from your library onto the lot, and see if the issues remain.
    With the other two issues, they may have been glitches that occured in the game, and won’t occur again. It is a little hard sometimes to work out the causes of some glitches.
    Oh, that's a great idea about bulldozing the lot! I've seen that mentioned in other threads about lot texture glitches but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try that.

I'm sure you're probably right. I'll try not to worry about them so much. At the end of the day, they're minor glitches in comparison to problems I've read others have had with their game. I'll just chalk those up to playing on a toaster of a laptop and live with it. :)

Thanks for all your help! <3