Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you buy a real eco-living GP?

SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
So one that includes everything from off the grid, nectar making/food preserves, carbon footprint and possibly chickens and other animals you could use to make eggs, sell, or eat? :)

Would you buy a real eco-living GP? 178 votes

Of course!
71% 128 votes
No, thanks
13% 24 votes
Not sure (please specify)
14% 26 votes

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Personally, I would not get it at of launch of the pack. I research everything and would wait to see if the gameplay features were enough for me to see it worth my money.
  • MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    Definitely, and that's what I thought we would end up with when I voted for it.

Then more and more people jumped on the laundry train and I was well disappointed :|
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I wouldn't buy it for the "eco" part, but I would only get it for objects like nectar making, beekeeping, fruit preserves, etc. I like my sims to craft things and sell them. Loved the butter churn in the Sims. And the beehive and rocking chair was one of the reasons I bought Supernatural, since I don't play with fairies and the like. If a pack has things that I like, then I'll buy it.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    Definitely, and that's what I thought we would end up with when I voted for it.

Then more and more people jumped on the laundry train and I was well disappointed :|

Same.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Yes please! Anything that allows me to play more off-the-grid rags-to-riches type sims & saves is good by me!
    ~ ~ ~
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I wouldn’t want a Eco-Living GP if there are only 4-5 game packs left in TS4’s life span. There are so many better themes they could do.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I think the idea of food preserves is interesting, as well as farming your own meat and dairy. Overall, it depends on how it's done, but I'd be open to an eco living GP.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I thought this last one was supposed to be an eco pack. With my luck, a different eco pack would start that way, and then the guru organizing it would say, "Okay, if you want CARS in this pack, you need to speak up!" And then one of the choices would be a Prius and people would say, "See, it IS an eco pack!"

Fortunately, for me, Laundry Pack means I save $10.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Doesn’t quite interest me. I think this would be one of those packs that I’d wait around for a sale, but I’d definitely not buy it at release. There have been only 3 other packs like that for me.
  • LadyMcCrackenLadyMcCracken Posts: 31 Member
    I'm normally not into buying packs asap, but I think this would be really neat.
    I love the idea of being able to make a sim, plop it down in an empty lot, and having to "live off the land".
    Or even better- maybe doing a whole "no technology" sort of thing with it. That could be really fun!
  • AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    Oh yeah I would love to spend ten dollars on one animated object and some furniture
    23rif7.gif
  • ghilieghilie Posts: 243 Member
    I think an eco-living pack has some real potential. I've tried to cobble together off-grid living for various poverty stricken sims but it's difficult. One of my sims lived in a storage facility with his toddler daughter. They had a cooler, but you can't get food for a toddler from a cooler. They had candles to light the place, but I wish there were wind up lamps or radios. I also wish there was a way to disconnect cell phones.

If a house was off-grid, there could be a water filtration system, which would work great with seasons, when we get it. In the summer months, maybe the water storage tank would run dry. Or they can have a well. These eco things wouldn't need to be their own pack--they could go hand-in-hand with a farming GP. Irrigation for plants from rain barrels. Plants that die from being over-watered. You could introduce a goat pen as an object, like babies are, from which you could get milk or hair. Hair can be spun. Hobbies like sewing and knitting could make a comeback. I'd buy that pack.
    nZLbne1.jpg

• IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited January 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    So one that includes everything from off the grid, nectar making/food preserves, carbon footprint and possibly chickens and other animals you could use to make eggs, sell, or eat? :)

OK, well I voted "no" for eco-living as I understood its meaning. I should have read what you wrote up there ... because I would be interested in Nectar making/food preserves chickens and other animals that I could get eggs/milk/whathaveyou from. But I would like those in any pack -- not necessarily eco-living ... so you can change my vote to a "maybe." If I can redo it, I'll pick the maybe option.

I just don't care for solar panels, water retention things, or similar items. But nectar making, preserves, and farm animals: Yes!

Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    It might be more interesting if they made it "Rural Living". A lot of the things mentioned could still be in it, but it would be easier to theme it. I think there could be more farm type items with interesting use than living off the grid; things like solar panels and such you really wouldn't notice, other than a change in bills.
  • Smoo979Smoo979 Posts: 7 New Member
    I think there is enough content and popularity among the community to warrant a full rural living EP instead of just a GP.
  • HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    Not after this price change.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2018
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    It might be more interesting if they made it "Rural Living". A lot of the things mentioned could still be in it, but it would be easier to theme it. I think there could be more farm type items with interesting use than living off the grid; things like solar panels and such you really wouldn't notice, other than a change in bills.

Agreed, I actually think the farming and eco-living themes go amazingly well together. If they'd reintroduce (even rabbit hole) supermarkets, and the restriction of only being able to cook dishes for which you have the right ingredients, the eco-living theme could be really fun / complex. It would offer different ways of (& reasons for) being self-sufficient: maybe your sims primarily use renewable sources to save on water / energy bills or even light bulbs (which sometimes break and can be bought at the supermarket). Or maybe they grow a lot of produce so they don't have to buy as many ingredients. Or, your more business-oriented sims can make money off of their self-sufficiency by partnering up with the supermarkets. Now obviously, all of this would be much better with farm animals (cows, pigs, horses, chickens). I just think that as soon as these & a rural word come in to play, we're inevitably looking at an EP-sized pack. Which I definitely prefer, but if there aren't enough years left to put something like this on their EP list (given it's never been on it before and we only have 1 EP / year anyway), then I'd definitely enjoy it coming in the form of a "self-sufficiency" / eco-living GP. Maybe they could even add a couple of object-like chickens, so we could make eggs and such. But yes, I guess a big part of the idea of what I like about a farming theme (self-sufficiency, affecting far more than just bills) could fit into a smaller, more focused pack as well.

ETA: many edits, cause I'm having a hard time expressing myself clearly tonight :')
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    I did vote Yes, of course, and I think a Game Pack would be about the right size if Off The Grid elements were included. Farming aspects, as well, could indeed push it to the Expansion category, with accompanying world. I'd be ok with either. Farms done well would be as much of a draw for me as Pets was, the only Pack I've preordered.

I would assume this expansion would come after Seasons, tho. I'm right there with everyone wanting Seasons as the next expansion. I just don't see how Seasons could be done in a Game Pack, without splitting out so much content that would be a pain and expensive to get them all. It's pretty likely that I will preorder a Seasons EP. GP, I'd have to withhold that judgement until I see it.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Depending on price
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • 0rnge0rnge Posts: 20 Member
    Yes! I perosnally want more activities that tie in with gardening e.g. preserves, drying spices rather than buying them from the festival, composting/worm bin for fertiliser etc.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    edited January 2018
    It really depends. If it were MUCH more modernly focused yes. If we had things like solar power or more modern designs then yes. If everything in the pack is more of that "sweet country" style then no. I really really don't like the aesthetic, and unless the rest of the pack was really well done I just think it'd be a waste of money for me.

I kind of feel like the farming aspects would be an easier sell in a farming specific pack. If it were going to be a true eco living I'd want things like hydroponic farming, solar influences, plant nurseries, the ability to go around and find things to recycle, composting etc.

Though all that aside I would really love to have more farming activities, as I'm currently designing a huge part of one of my CAW projects around (though that's for Sims 3, but still, I do love farming!).
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I would love to have farm animals and be able to do nectar making/preserving food. I have several Sims that are more farming-oriented, so being able to 'live off the land' even more so would be perfect!
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    My answer is probably depending upon what is in it. I evaluate every pack on a case-by-case basis. I haven't jumped on laundry but it's still a maybe for me in the right mood, especially for the CAS/BB. A combo of off the grid and food preserves? Yeah, I'd be likely to be interested.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    The problem that underlines this will be, "If it's going to be an ECO LIVING pack, then it better stay central to that theme!" The further we go into farming and whatnot the further from eco living it will eventually become and it might as well just turn into a farming pack. Also, just adding a couple things considered eco living does not constitute eco living as central to the original concept of it.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    It depends for me. On one hand, if it had enough activities for Sims to do (like beekeeping, making preserves, solar panels that help with bills, etc.) then I say sure, because it makes for more things to do in the game. But if it was only say, two new things for Sims to interact with and the rest is all build mode/clothes, then no, not really. I don't particularly care to play with Sims living off the grid, though it could be fun for Legacy challenges/rags-to-riches gameplay.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -