Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Your Favorite Sims 3 Challenges*

I love a good Sims 3 Challenge. :blush:

When I complete my story I'd love to do another one to start another story with. :)

So instead of scouring the internet for challenge ideas, I've decided to turn to you my fellow simmers and ask which ones are your favorites (or if you've created one) and if you could please share the rules/details along with it. :) Thanks. <3

GO!

:mrgreen:
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2018
    LEPacy Challenge
    (Check out the challenge page for the full description.) The idea is to unlock an expansion pack each generation. The goal is to explore things from each pack that you either haven't done before or haven't completely explored. If you're on patch 1.69, you can use the launcher pack selector. If you're on patch 1.67 like I am, you can use the Sim Game Selector. It's not a mod, more like an external tool that pairs with the game.

This challenge doesn't appeal to everyone. Some people can't deal with missing all the content. I document my progress on Tumblr. I'm currently on generation 6 and I started this challenge in April 2016. I unlock EPs in release order but it's up to the player. Initially I unlocked SPs every other generation but now I do it when the first child of a generation is born. The only pack I really miss is Seasons. It helps that I also allow myself to use store content & CC/mods freely but I only install what I will use.

Random Legacy Challenge

(Check out the challenge page for the full description.) Simple.. Randomize goals for each generation. I started this challenge last year with some friends but never finished. I wanted to go back to my LEPacy challenge and complete that. I plan on choosing a heir from the last generation to start a Random Legacy with that sim.. Keep the Carp family name going. :)

In the last few years I've been looking for ways to change how I play the game. Challenges like these are refreshing for me because it pushes me to do things I probably would never do on my own. If you ever feel like a challenge has too many rules, feel free to adjust them to your liking.

edit* ah... Here's one I forgot to slip in. The wish of a lifetime challenge
    A friend of mine from Tumblr put this together based on the idea of a sim that completes all lifetime wishes but with a twist. She's made up side quests for each lifetime wish. I eventually will get around to this. I plan on randomizing the LTWs and completing all skills too by the end of it.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I love the town legacy challenge,100 baby challenge with rules on my blog and a modfied apocalypse challenge based on colonial settlers escaping from wars in Europe in the 16th century.I use awsomemod to disable automated school assignments for these and my 100 baby challenge as it's set in the 16th century.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've published one challenge on my blog: Toddlermania. Play tested with a playthrough on my blog as well. It's an old challenge idea; I originally wrote it for TS2. I have another challenge idea on my blog, the 1 Million Lifetime Happiness Points Challenge, which was kind of a spur of the moment idea. I haven't played it myself but I think the rules will work.

I recently played this challenge and quite enjoyed it. I'm thinking of playing it again with slightly different rules.

I'm currently playing a couple who is trying to have 100 children while pursuing different rabbit hole and self-employed careers. No real rules though, just the 100 child goal.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Oooo! Those all sound great! :smiley: Thanks!

Anyone else with more challenges? :blush:
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    @emorrill , Well duh, my 4x4 challenge (that I haven't played for over a year... ;) )...

I have been working on this one for awhile and I have 2 versions: the more difficult 4x4 version and the slightly easier 5x5 version, the 5x5 version is better suited if you have only the base game or very few EPs, though the 4x4 is very doable with only the base game.

The object to this challenge is to build yourself a dream house 4x4 block by 4x4 block, each block will cost your sim $10,000.

To start make a sim of your choosing in CAS, either gender, whatever traits you like.

Buy an empty lot, the bigger the better as you will not be able to move for the duration of the challenge.

Start the game by building yourself a 4x4 block "house" (it's gonna be cramped!) it must include:

2 counters
    A sink (either in the "kitchen" or "bathroom")
    A microwave
    A table
    A chair
    A single bed
    A toilet
    A shower
    A bookcase
    A computer if you have the funds
    2 or more lights
    2 or more windows
    A door
    A porch if you like any size within reason (I typically do 4x3) BUT the porch is NOT considered part of the house and may not have skilling objects or household objects placed on it. Only decorative objects like plants or a lounge chair as an extra spot to vege out but you must have all household items listed above IN the house).
    Siding
    Paint
    Roof
    Carpeting or other flooring of your choice
    A small fenced in 6x6 garden (you may buy seeds at the grocery but only 1 of a seed not 15 apple seeds for example).

**I added everything up (including the 4x4 house with a 4x3 porch, and even with fairly expensive furnishings the total still came to less than the $16,000 that most Sims start with, you may kaching once if you wind up under the starting money of $500.00 but then must get down to $500.00.

Please note: if you have Into The Future do yourself a favor and get the All In One Bathroom, it is a big space saver, also look into a loft bed and put a small table and chair under it for your eating or computing purposes, another big space saver.

Buy your sim whatever extras and/or decorations you can squish in. Keep in mind your sims ability to get to everything without a foot stomping hissy fit. Buy as much as you want until you get close to $500.00 as you can, landscaping is good but keep in mind where you want to expand your house so you don't have to wreck all your pretty landscaping after you earn your expansion block(s), a bike is also a good idea. Then set family funds to $500.00.

Your sim may get a job, or work from home to make money though your options for working from home a pretty limited, writing, hacking are good because you should have a computer. Painting and sculpting are off the menu until you have room in your house for an easel or sculpting station. You can always collect, there is good money to be made collecting flowers, rocks, gems, bugs/butterflies, seeds, you can also dumpster dive and sell the items you find. You can garden and sell the produce. When you get your funds up to $10,000 you may add on a 4x4 block to your house, make every attempt to spend as close to $9,500 on the furnishing the new bigger house (save out $500.00 for bills) you can buy whatever you like for the house or to make your sims life easier (a car perhaps). Now you are set to start earning another $10,000 for the next expansion and so on until you have a house you can live in comfortably, my ultimate goal is usually 10 expansions so nine 4x4 blocks plus the original 4x4 block. It is one of my favorite challenges as it is really tough in the beginning because you are so cramped.

A few things to note: you may get married but when your mate moves in he/she must be unemployed or the challenge would be too easy, if they bring any money with them it must be deleted. They can do whatever you like but may not make any money, when my sim gets married in this challenge I tend to skill the heck out of the spouse, have then read all the skill books and max out skills, costs nothing if they read at the library and they become a jack of all trades.

**EDIT for boyfriend/girlfriend and marriage: you may either follow the rules above and just have an unemployed, unable to make money mate, Or you may have them work, collect, create, garden or whatever to make money BUT your additional 4x4s will cost you $20,000 as you will have 2 Sims bringing in the cash. Children can not make any money (hang the paintings they paint, or inventory them), as they reach teen if they get a part time job add another $5,000 to the 4x4 cost. This is only for the first 2 children, any extra kids can be money making machines ;). When the kids reach YA the $10,000 applies to them if they stay in the house.

**EDIT: if you want to add in a roommate, fiancee, husand/wife, or other person to the house you must get rid of any money they bring to the household. You can do this by family funds or buy as many objects you need to get to the total you need to get rid of then object delete the objects.

**Money making ideas that are frowned upon as it is way too easy to make a bundle: that crazy 8 ball thingie (will look up the real name).

Also adding that you do not have to lay your 4x4s all on one story, they can be a second story of the house if you like, stairs will have to be inside the house though.

For those without many EPs (mainly Into The Future) I reccomend trying out a 5x5 challenge first, it makes less of an issue of not having access to a loft bed and an all in one bathroom, though I have done the 4x4 using strictly only base game items.

My goal is always 10 4x4s (the original 4x4 plus 9 add ons). You can make up your own goal if you want, make it fun for You! :wink:

Have Fun and be sure and let me know if you have any suggestions or criticisms (I can take it.... :wink: ).

Enjoy! Becky :smile:
    @Charlottesmom I could never forget your awesome 4x4 (5x5) Challenge! :star:
    :kissing_heart:

That is one I plan to do in the future too.

Thanks for sharing! <3
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2018
    Anything starting poor,favorite is dumpster diving either 2 or 3 dives a day limit depending on your luck once you decide stick with it.Start the game with a lot and one piece of wall section only and 1,000 simoleans.Can only dumpster dive twice a day can sell or keep anything you get cannot make money any other way.I play this challenge more than any cause building a house ends in randomness, sometimes get money toss up 3 wall section pieces and 2 days later maybe can afford 4 more.Really fun if you are honest and don't cheat.And can be super hard you could do both dives resulting in a cockroach,ladybug,iron ore,and a seed make like 20 bucks that day.

Getting a washer or dryer or dishwasher "the better one" and the fortune cookie machine are big ticket items that can be found.

Several days into my challenge this is all I had,quite challenging.Cheapest toilet,outdoor shower thankfully cheap and a tent which is cheap plus I think 5 uncovered wall pieces after starting with only one in day one.

vUaESIU.png
    Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @emorrill I don't like challenges because I don't do rules in real life either. Well, not quite true, life without rules wouldn't work very well but I have my own set of rules in many things and don't conform to people's expectations of what an old woman should be ;)

Having said that I really loved @Charlottesmom 's 4x4 (although I did her 5x5 version). It was simple to follow, without pages of rules that dictate to every aspect of gameplay, and it was challenging but not to the point that it suck ed the pleasure out of playing.
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    edited January 2018
    Recently I’ve started my first Perfect Genetics Challenge and i’m Enjoying it so far, mostly because it is actually challenging ( even if it is completely luck-based). It can also get quite frustrating, but once you get a proper heir it actually feels like an accomplishment .

I also like how attached you get to each generation since you spend a good deal of time with them( most of the time).
    Post edited by KNORear on
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I love the 4 x 4 challenge, All My Wishes, the traditional Legacy challenge, the Ultimate Challenge and I'm having some fun following the Bucket List Challenge.

I should probably find links to some of these.....

I think I may try out that LEP challenge that @SimplyJen posted

My problem, is I like a lot of challenges and I don't stick with one game often. I have a bunch of saves working right now. One Ultimate. One Bucket List and one traditional legacy.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Create a World is my Favorite TS3 Challenge. :cookie:
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

And we love you for that!

Great thread, Emily. Bookmarked to refer back if I ever actually have time to do a challenge :)
    Rflong7 wrote: »

@Rflong7 Indeed! ;)

It's so challenging I can't do it! That's why we have lovely, talented people like you. :blush:

Thanks @ZeeGee <3
    @Rflong7 -I love CAW challenges as much as playing and am enjoying setting up my newest town for a legacy.Glenvale County is almost perfect for a 100 baby challenge or legach challenge.
    So @TadOlson How does this 100 babies challenge work?
    (I mean what are the rules? :blush: )
    I've got a link to one version on my blog and it's with the 100 baby challenge one which is linked to my home blog.It's basically playing the town and the challenge is for an entire town to try to get 100 babies born and to have somebody in town raising them to teens if their parent can''t raise them.I do allow teens to move out and live on their own and have awesomemod to disable the automated school assignment as Storybrook County is a larger world.
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited January 2018
    The one I just made myself and of which I still have to work out the rules, but is pretty interesting. It can be described as a 'Extreme Random LEPacy LTW challenge' and basically combines everything. It's hard, probably, but it has some added 'rules' that actually make it easier.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I've played Midnight Sun, Perfect Genetics, and the Immortal Dynasty challenge (since I have an ownership stake in the rules). Though someone's gonna have the bright idea to combine them and I'll only passively cheer them on. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! :)

Anyone else have some that haven't been shared yet?
  • queenproteaqueenprotea Posts: 14 New Member
    My favorite part of any Sims game is free will-based chaos, so I really like the Asylum challenge. Especially since I'm a huge user of motive cheats, so any challenge that forces me to keep my hands off is a good one.
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    I like the challenge that tad talked about, the one where you build the town essentially. I like the runaway teen challenge but with my own rule tweaks.. Like I can buy basic things at the store.. Teens are allowed to buy things Irl so I don't see the problem? And other rules I tweak myself.
    I love the zombie apocalypse challenge with real zombies thanks to nraas..
    I also have my own challenge where I have a founder that can only live off of gifts received through the mail or parties.. She can have a part time job, but if she gets a promotion, she has to quit.
    She also must be at the bars meeting people every weekend. Pretty fun to me
  • wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    I totally recommend @TreyNutz 's Toddlermania. Having 7 toddlers is crazy and chaotic.

I did the Granny (or Granpa) on the run challenge last year and it was great fun.

If you have World Adventures, the Ninja Legacy is fun.
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    One of my personal favorites is the Nothing is Free Challenge. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468464&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomments

If my games would stop getting corrupted it would probably be more fun.

And I liked the through the ages, but I never made it pass the first age. https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/1fzaty/requested_sims_through_the_ages_legacy_rules/

And if you really want a headache the apocalypse challenge can help with that.
    Minx wrote: »

And if you really want a headache the apocalypse challenge can help with that.

@Minx I'll pass on any headache inducing ones. ;)

Thanks for sharing! :)

My version of the apocalypse challenge is more about playing TS2 style rotationally and settlers building houses on their new home lots as they arrive.It allows a few essential buildings to be in place at the start like city hall and Garden House along with the pool and a market for shopping or selling produce.