Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationships and consequences

I was playing a sim of mine last night. He's a restaurant owner, owns 3 now. Anyways he had an affair with Bella Goth. I decided to go over and play her until she had the baby that was obviously going to be his. My problem with the whole situation is that there were no consequences for her having an affair, for her having another mans baby. She was able to tell Mort her "big news" and he was excited. What happened to consequences when sims had affairs. I usually play single sims but for some reason I just wanted this sim to have an affair with Bella and get her pregnant. I wanted to see some drama and well there is none. With the emphasis on emotions that the devs have bragged about you'd think they would get that right. Even in TS3 I had sims break up with my sims when they had an affair (without me doing it.) Where have you guys gone wrong? You say you couldn't get as in depth outside the sims because you worked so hard on them, is this a weird oversight? Don't get me wrong I like the ability of having multiple relationships but I almost don't have to be sneaky about it. Unless my sim is making out right in front of another sim (sometimes even if they're in the next room they don't react), there is no consequences.

Parenthood was a good GP. I think it made parenting more fun and I've actually for the first time in playing since Sims 1, have been playing families more. You got the parenting part down with the kids and being a good or bad parent but what about the relationship between the parents and how they affect the family. Bella had an affair, shouldn't the kids be affected by what that does to her and Mort's relationship (but let's be honest, it does nothing to their relationship because apparently Mort is an idiot). There's a new baby, a half sister, everyone loves her, why? Am I being to analytical about it all, delving deeper then I should be? I know I could get Mort to have some mean interactions with Bella and maybe even get a divorce but that's so forced. I want to leave their house to play another sim and come back to find that Mortimer has moved out and Bella is heartbroken. She would go on to raise 3 kids alone and maybe even "gasp" have to get a job, or maybe she'd move her boyfriend in and the kids would hate him. Maybe Mort could pay child support. There's so much more complexity that goes into a family and relationships, I'd like see that.

With all that said I'm gonna suggest something I wouldn't normally suggest. A relationship or romance GP. I'd much rather see Seasons or University (which honestly imo could be put into one EP, revolving seasons around school etc. but that's another post). I want some drama in my game that I don't have to manually make happen beyond the cheating or affair. Romance has always been a GP about dating and going out on dates blah blah. Well we can already do that. How about a romance GP where there are more intricate relationships and consequences to marriages and families. Maybe even bring in a therapist career much like the vet clinic so couples can do therapy to fix relationships (being a therapist would be fun too). A spouse could even leave the lot for a sim week or so in the case of an affair, come back and decide where to go from there. I understand I'd have to actively get the wheels in motion but I'm happy to do that when there are consequences for the choices I make for my sims. Right now you can pretty much do whatever you want and beyond a "moodlet" that makes little to no difference in your sims every day life, there is no consequences for our sims that make the wrong choices.

I'd really like to see some more work on relationships. They are pretty much one of the core parts of our sims lives. Maybe I haven't played around with it enough and I'm missing something, so if that's the case someone can enlighten me.

Comments

• Options
    MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    I agree. Recently I've been playing a household that I made in the Sims 2 and 4. I have a lesbian couple and one of the partners' brother living together. I decided to have a story where the brother had fallen for his sister's wife and the two end up having an affair. In the Sims 2, you have to be really really careful toeing around with an affair. I made the mistake of having the brother and his sister-in-law have sex while his sister was in the house. Apparently, she could hear them, I mean *wink wink, and busted into the room and slapped them both. Now she often does mean interactions with her ex and brother. In the sims 4, nothing like this happens. It is the same family but in Sims 4 style. While it is kind of harder to push them into an affair, flirting while the sister is around doesn't really do anything. In the Sims 2, you had to plan things out so they won't get caught right away. Like woohooing when the sister was at work or sneaking off to another lot to flirt. But there are no consequences in the sims 4 unless the player forces it. Like the brother and sister-in-law (Sims 4) have gone on a few dates and the sister has caught them kissing, but is still happy because the room is well decorated. She will still kiss, flirt, and woohoo with her wife even though she is currently cheating and she knows! And then the brother doesn't really do anything when his sister and sister-in-law are together. I haven't done them in 3 yet, but I know it's going to be harder with the reputation system. The sims around town will notice and the sister will have the option to ask "Are the rumors true?" And they could break-up without my hands at work. (It's happened to the Goth family since I like making Gunther have affairs with all the women in Sunset Valley)
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I just noticed the lack of consequences today. I have a married couple, and the husband casually flirted with one of his co-workers when they were out with their club at the bar. So eventually, I wanted his wife to find out about it because I planned for the two to divorce eventually.
    Anyway, he was at the bar with his co-workers and I led him flirt with her again, and I sent his wife over. She literally didn't notice that her husband flirted with another woman even though she stood right next to them. She needed to stand by them even closer until she finally realized it and just did the "shouting forbidden words"-animation and got an angry moodlet. But there was nothing afterwards. No autonomous mean interaction with neither her husband, nor the woman he cheated on her with. I needed to direct her to it first. Well, I managed to get both their friendship and romance levels in the red, but the player shouldn't direct their sims to do it first, it should come from alone (even with free will off). Or is this just the way the devs want to give the players more "control"?

This just reminded me of a couple I had in TS3. They were married for quiet some time and had a child together, but suddenly, they regularly argued with each other from free will, without me doing anything. Then suddenly they divorced without me directing them to do it. The child stood next to them and seemed really sad about it. I wish it were like this in TS4. My couple there isn't divorced yet but I will direct them to in front of their daughters to see if they have any reactions to it (problably not).

Just to show you how the consequences and reactions are significantly lacking in this game compared to TS3.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    But see this is the thing. The developers almost can't win. Let's say, in the case of the OP's situation, Mort was upset and divorced Bella. Many simmers would complain that they can't tell their own stories, and that situations are being forced on them.

But then you get other players who want the game itself to put its own consequences in. Not judgement to other simmers, but I never understood the "I want to tell my own stories" argument. Like the OP, it feels forced and contrived. It's what I loved about the cats and dogs ep. The pets are totally surprising. You don't know what they're going to do. I still don't think I've seen every pet animation, in fact I know I haven't as I haven't started training dogs yet.

So which is it? Player controlled drama, or uncontrolled drama from the game?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    But see this is the thing. The developers almost can't win. Let's say, in the case of the OP's situation, Mort was upset and divorced Bella. Many simmers would complain that they can't tell their own stories, and that situations are being forced on them.

But then you get other players who want the game itself to put its own consequences in. Not judgement to other simmers, but I never understood the "I want to tell my own stories" argument. Like the OP, it feels forced and contrived. It's what I loved about the cats and dogs ep. The pets are totally surprising. You don't know what they're going to do. I still don't think I've seen every pet animation, in fact I know I haven't as I haven't started training dogs yet.

I agree with that, but I think the OP's issue is that Mortimer didn't mind at all. It's not quite clear to me however if Mortimer could possibly know, because in Sims 3 I really don't like the fact sims are psychic, being able to tell their spouse cheated on them even when nobody witnessed it. If there was no way for Mortimer to know that kid wasn't his, it's totally realistic he'll accept the kid as his own. Until Bella tells him otherwise (or a DNA test reveals it).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I wouldn't want consequences unless she's caught in the act. Sometimes you want to tell a story where she has an affair, gets preggers and lets Mortimer believe he's the daddy. If he does know automatically that the kid isn't his that would throw a wrench in that type of story. If she gets a bad reputation also for a clandestine affair that isn't witnessed by anyone that would also cancel out stories that go down that path.
    I do wish if he caught her though he could question paternity or something along those lines, or she could confess affair or even let him know he isn't the daddy. I would be okay if other's saw them cheating also that the reputation could be questioned. That could make the player's trait more valuable too. It could be a get out of jail free card if everyone has it. That tool would already be in game for those of us that might want to play sneaky stuff sometimes. It might be harder to get the trait in the first place but the tool is there at least for those that want to use it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    KatyJay88 wrote: »

Though did many complain there was drama in TS1/TS2/TS3 ? I don't think out of the blue, the 'many' would be outrage that a patch came and brough consequences to the game, and even instead those who didn't mind the absence of dysutopia game would appreciate the drama put in the game. I feel implanting such a feature would do more good than bad, because I think If the game, for one of the reasons it is heavily critize, didn't had at the very start up to now this whole happy-villy sort of stuff it wouldn't be most bashed game in the sims franchise. Though seriously, I haven't really ever heard from my experence of a player complaining that 'Previous game are such a disaster, because they have too much drama and sims aren't oblivious to the death/affairs happening around their loved one's, which is why I like TS4 a lot better'.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    edited January 2018
    I guess I can understand what some of you are saying. That would present a problem for someone who wanted the whole situation to play out exactly as it has. I just wish I had the option to maybe even have Mortimer accuse her of cheating and their relationship takes a hit and the relationship between him and the kid was harder to build. I went into the goth family last night and the sim Bella had an affair with was just chilling in the house. He was talking to the kids and hanging out with everyone, eating something he probably made himself in the kitchen. I get it sometimes that happens, there's an affair or a child from another person in a family and everyone gets along. I can make Mortimer fight with the guy and their relationship could suck. They don't care though, they're still happy or go on about their business making dinner or watching tv. I had to have the guy flirt with Bella (edit: I meant Bella flirt with the guy), and have Mortimer right there to get a reaction. The first time I did it he was outside the room and didn't react at all. Then he was mad and went on to go watch tv. The guy was still in the house, the kids didn't care about the flirting and everything and everyone was right back to chatting and having a good ol time. I don't know I guess it just bothers me. It makes the game not even hard at all. It's like our "full of emotions" sims really have no emotions at all and it's just a little moodlet that says they do. They're ok with everything. Affairs, illegitimate children, kill the neighbors dog, poison your family members, mass murder, rob a bank (yes I know you can't do some of that stuff), and sims will be like, '"Oh well", sad moodlet(6 hours) but the room is nicely decorated and I had a good lunch so I'm actually happy. I don't know it's annoying to me personally but I guess it doesn't bother everyone.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Relationships have always been a weak part of the Sims. They don't require much work to maintain, unlike real life. In TS4 it seems even worse, as even my sims that have been together for a long time act like newlyweds. In TS3 they would autonomously break up if things got bad, but I haven't seen that happen in TS4.

I remember an incident where I had a serial romantic woohoo with a townie right in front of her husband. Nothing happened, other than the husband stomping around the house. There was no fighting, kicking out my sim, or kicking out his wife. Everything just went on like normal.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I guess I can understand what some of you are saying. That would present a problem for someone who wanted the whole situation to play out exactly as it has. I just wish I had the option to maybe even have Mortimer accuse her of cheating and their relationship takes a hit and the relationship between him and the kid was harder to build. I went into the goth family last night and the sim Bella had an affair with was just chilling in the house. He was talking to the kids and hanging out with everyone, eating something he probably made himself in the kitchen. I get it sometimes that happens, there's an affair or a child from another person in a family and everyone gets along. I can make Mortimer fight with the guy and their relationship could suck. They don't care though, they're still happy or go on about their business making dinner or watching tv. I had to have the guy flirt with Bella (edit: I meant Bella flirt with the guy), and have Mortimer right there to get a reaction. The first time I did it he was outside the room and didn't react at all. Then he was mad and went on to go watch tv. The guy was still in the house, the kids didn't care about the flirting and everything and everyone was right back to chatting and having a good ol time. I don't know I guess it just bothers me. It makes the game not even hard at all. It's like our "full of emotions" sims really have no emotions at all and it's just a little moodlet that says they do. They're ok with everything. Affairs, illegitimate children, kill the neighbors dog, poison your family members, mass murder, rob a bank (yes I know you can't do some of that stuff), and sims will be like, '"Oh well", sad moodlet(6 hours) but the room is nicely decorated and I had a good lunch so I'm actually happy. I don't know it's annoying to me personally but I guess it doesn't bother everyone.
    That indeed is a flaw (I actually thought they’d improved that). To compare the situation with Sims 3 (because I did something similar once): I made my sim flirt with Morrigan Hemlock, while both her husband and daughter (Belisama, a kid) were present. First the daughter came to them with a very angry face and started to scare my sim. I ignored her and told the lovebirds to woohoo in the shower. The minute I did that, Belisama headed to the shower, hindering them. The woohoo instruction disappeared and after two seconds of showering Belisama came out again. She’d clearly only done that to prevent them from doing what they were planning to do. By then the husband had joined the scene and started scolding Morrigan. Untill then they had been a very romantic couple together, constantly flirting with each other (my sim had stayed in their house for a couple of days so we witnessed that) and when I gave up the flirting (it was not going to happen, also Morrigan didn’t react very willing anymore) she started flirting with her husband. In vain, he pushed her away and he continued being mad at her (no idea how long, my sim left their premises after that).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I think they overcorrected in TS4 since in TS3 it could be too extreme for Sims to run halfway across the open world and accuse the other of cheating when nobody had witnessed it. I've had stories where it fit the story beautifully that the oblivious husband had no idea the child wasn't his, so I wouldn't necessarily want him to automatically know just because she's pregnant. But I agree with you that there aren't enough consequences for when the spouse does find out the other is cheating.

The fact that you are playing with free will off might exacerbate the problem, though. She can't autonomously confront her husband if autonomy isn't on.

I don't have a problem with spouses not caring about seeing cheating in my game - they seem to care a reasonable amount. But what does bother me is that the kids have no reaction. TS2 was too extreme in that the kids ended up hating their parents after a split because they'd get upset at their divorced parents for "cheating" every time they flirted with their new partner. But in TS4 there's just no long-term consequences. It was really moving to see children and even toddlers getting upset in TS2. The lack of a functional memories system in TS4 is a big part of this flaw.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Vagenius - I understand what you're saying & agree with you! I feel that is what this game is lacking as well....there's no consequences to really anything. But as it relates to relationships Sims can just cheat right next to their mate and there is no reaction. Maybe, just maybe you get lucky and the Sim gets angry only to be overpowered by a happy moodlet. & for emotions to be the selling point of this game, Sims just don't say in the 'negative' emotions long enough. Everything is just too happy! I feel that TS2 got it right....the person who got cheated on couldn't be anywhere near the vicinity and they'd react so angry....the relationship would tank & good luck trying to fix that relationship. Even though the consequences were a bit much with the daily knocking over the trashcan or stealing the newspaper, the Sims reacted. It blows my mind that Sims were doing this before there was an "emotions" and it's 2018 & my Sims barely react! I've said this before & I'll say it again...I think the emotions systems needs an overhaul.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    As someone who enjoys the polyamorous relationship aspect and misses the cheating; I feel like the biggest issue is that the game can't distinguish between "open relationships" and monogamous relationships. Even if they didn't outright acknowledged polyamory, my sims that aren't in committed relationships SHOULDN'T be jealous of their SO/occasional partner flirting/ramboozling with another sim unless they have the jealous trait.

I just feel like there isn't anything distinguishable between traits and relationship types. Sims get jealous/sad if you're flirting with someone else even if you aren't officially dating them, and if you are exclusive they'll barely react at cheating during certain times (although I had one sim go ballistic at a wedding when the groom was caught being flirted with by the ex or something, lmaoooo).

I want my open/non-committal sims to have open, fun, romantic relationships without the drama, but I also want a line distinguished when actual cheating within committed relationship occurs. Sims 3 was a mess because you couldn't DO anything because of the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 reputation system, while here the consequences are far too watered down.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Pretty sure the enhancement of sim relationships should be patched.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I wish there were a memories system in place like TS2 had. Sometimes I forget who is with who and I have to write it down old school style aka notebook & pen.. ugh. Seems crazy to me The Sims 2 had that with the base game and we are so far in TS4 and still nothing...
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sadly for me this is a huge weakness of The Sims 4. There should be an option for “confess to cheating” or “accuse of affair” In all the time I’ve played I’ve only ever seen one sim slap her partner for cheating. And I was like: “Oh great you finally noticed!” He had only had two children by another woman.

I get that there are people who like to micromanage every reaction in game and don’t like their sims autonomously doing things like slapping their cheating spouse or disciplining their children without their input but for me I prefer my sims to react to cheating. I don’t understand how for the first three versions of The Sims they managed to handle relationships and their breakdowns with a sim reacting to the point where cheating just causes a sad or angry moodlet and can be offset by a nicely decorated room and it’s very much a case of business as usual. I hate it.
  • Options
    GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I’m all for consequences as long as they’re realistic to some extent, example being that if you’re caught then the hammer comes down. I used to love my sim being a...adventurous lothario, women from here to Riverview and around 20 or so kids who always knew to never follow their deadbeat dads footsteps. Whenever he got caught there was a reaction In sims 3, now it’s pretty much high five your way back to perfect and it’s lame. I want there to be a reaction to my sims bad deeds and yes some things he does shouldn’t be easily forever, if ever. He can get to a point now where he and his exes brawl in the street and within a matter of sim days they’re hanging out over martinis! It’s not what it used to be and I hope the sims team can add some sort of system where what we choose to do affects our sims lives in a bigger way.

Also I really want my sims daughter, now a grown women, to visit her married neighbour slash lover and destroy his marriage by telling his wife about their four kids. Cruel yes. Entertaining...very
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2018
    It's all about being able to suspend your disbelief and why many of us dropped TS4 to return to our older games. It seems logical a husband would be upset, mad, irrate, to find out his wife had an affair and was telling him about her new bundle of joy. TS4 thinks everything is la la land. We all know we can tell our stories (they are staged), but don't expect me to believe a husband would not be hurt, angry, ticked off, jealous, and feel betrayed. What world is this where they just say Yay! let's go have dinner with the new guy and celebrate? It's not happening. And therefore, this game likes to boast of reality, not, it's so far fetched even I (who play fantasy often) can't even suspend my disbelief, so that's why TS4 is lame in so many ways in areas like this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    The thing is that when a pregnant sim shares big news the reaction from others is always good. Like if she shared the big news with an ex or someone that wouldn't want her to have a baby, I would think they would be sad, angry or any other reaction other than excited. Or if a sim shares big news and the sim is not a big fan of the sim she had a baby with then the reaction shouldn't be positive.

Sometimes I want to tell a story of someone not being excited for the new baby.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's all about being able to suspend your disbelief and why many of us dropped TS4 to return to our older games. It seems logical a husband would be upset, mad, irrate, to find out his wife had an affair and was telling him about her new bundle of joy. TS4 thinks everything is la la land. We all know we can tell our stories (they are staged), but don't expect me to believe a husband would not be hurt, angry, ticked off, jealous, and feel betrayed. What world is this where they just say Yay! let's go have dinner with the new guy and celebrate? It's not happening. And therefore, this game likes to boast of reality, not, it's so far fetched even I (who play fantasy often) can't even suspend my disbelief, so that's why TS4 is lame in so many ways in areas like this.

The worst is when the spouse that was cheated on texts “the other woman/man” to congratulate them on their new girlfriend/boyfriend. I’m like “That’s your wife/Husband, you muppet!”
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Weirder stories. Smarter Si--- more like Oblivious Sims.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Simile007Simile007 Posts: 3 New Member
    Or like when you invite an ex to a wedding the sim could get sad or angry and receive something like the one that got away moodlet
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    The thing is that when a pregnant sim shares big news the reaction from others is always good. Like if she shared the big news with an ex or someone that wouldn't want her to have a baby, I would think they would be sad, angry or any other reaction other than excited. Or if a sim shares big news and the sim is not a big fan of the sim she had a baby with then the reaction shouldn't be positive.

Try sharing the "big news" with a sim daddy that has the hates children trait. It is built in possible to not always have a great reaction.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. This is just one of the areas of the game I have a hard time working around. Like I've mentioned I can make it all happen and turn out the way I want and maybe that's a part of the "you control" slogan. I don't mind controlling the narrative in my sims lives but I'd at least like the ability to give appropriate responses to situations. Like 'accusing of cheating' or 'confessing to cheating', at least some way for me to get the ball rolling for divorce or a fractured relationship that I actually have to work hard on to repair. The fights and insults just seem kind of empty without a reason beyond what I know. There needs to be a suggestion of the mean interaction, like 'accusing of cheating'. That would lead me into making sense of the fighting and insults.

Sims are just so happy that I want to make them all miserable. I just wish they'd release a good stuff pack that instead of focusing on material stuff, it focused on interaction stuff, like romance etc.
  • Options
    geekchic96geekchic96 Posts: 154 Member
    This is one of the many reasons why I stopped playing the game and went back to Sims 2 and 3. Creating drama is my favorite thing to do in a Sims game. I love taking the Sims idyllic lives and turning them upside down. But with the Sims 4 it seems impossible to do. I want my Sims to have true reactions to the things around them. I want them to have long term memories and trauma.

Maybe if a sims parents were always arguing and eventually divorced when the sim grows older they might think marriage is a sham. Maybe if a sim was cheated on they could start to have trust issues and forgo relationships altogether. These are some of the things I feel would enchance the Sims experience and help simmers create richer stories but as of now everything in the Sims 4 seems shallow and vain, in my opinion.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Try sharing the "big news" with a sim daddy that has the hates children trait. It is built in possible to not always have a great reaction.

I've done that, and he still reacted with being excited.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!