Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Safeguards?

Hello all! :) I'm technically not new to Sims 3. I have all of the expansions, most of the stuff packs, most of the worlds, etcetera. I just haven't played much at all since Sims 4 came out. And even before that I didn't really take things like saving and clearing caches (all of the important stuff!) seriously. Which is probably why after Sims 4 came out and I later went back to play my Sims 3 100 baby challenge something went wrong and it crashes when I try to get into the save! But this question has nothing to do with that.

Now, I have a save/story that I'm really attached to. I don't want to lose it. What I want to know is what safeguards are there other than backing up saves on an external drive like I do with everything? This save at this point is 3 different worlds including uni and one of the households I plan to move around and explore some other worlds so after a while, there will end up being several worlds sort of interconnected and probably several households when I get bored with the two I'm currently playing and start new ones... sort of like a rotation. So if somehow something happens to this save I would lose not only one household and not just one world and the townies and builds in them. And I would have yet another story on my blog that would just abruptly stop because I'd lost the save file! :/

For Sims 4 I back up my Saves folder, repair my game, and clear my caches once a week. I have up to 5 "save as" files for each save/story. But from what I hear Sims 3 is a more volatile game. So! Safeguards? What do paranoid cautious simmers do in Sims 3 to avoid losing everything? Is there a guide somewhere because if there is I haven't found it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Do you use mods? Because even if you're normally averse to altering your game, nraas has a few cleanup mods that can prolong the life of a save far past its expected expiration date. Overwatch, Errortrap, and Debugenabler all help cull the accumulated bugs that can end up borking your game—they fix broken sims, delete unnecessary objects, reset lots, and probably a thousand other things that I have no idea about but are essential to the health of your save. They also allow you to perform these functions manually if you suspect something is off. There might be one or two other mods (Traveler?) that would help as well, without changing anything about how you actually play.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    I clean out my DCBackUp leaving the ccmerged file as is. I also clean out the temp files from the DCCache file. I also clear out the CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptcache, simsCompositorCache and the SocialCache every time I start up my game as well as getting getting of the FeaturedItems folder. I know there is a way to keep the featureitems folder from showing up in the TS3 folder but I haven't yet tried it.

@igazor might know more of what needs to be done besides what all I do in my folder... :)

And it's best to "Save as" when saving a game so that you have an earlier save to revert back to in case your current game crashes. I try to save when I'm done something such as decorate my lot or at the end of a Sims day or when a Sim had leveled up a skill or 2... :)
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Thank you for responding! :)

@puzzlezaddict Yes, I am using quite a few nrass mods including the ones you've mentioned. I'm a bit of a mod addict normally so I didn't play for more than a few days before searching for them! :D

@lisasc360 I have been clearing the caches you referred to before I start the game each day. I found a tutorial to make it so that the featured items folder doesn't need cleaning out. It's really easy. I also have the saver mod set to save the game every 12 sim hours in 3 different save names. I'd do it more often than that but Sims 3 takes forever to save.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Rainydayz179 - You can't play this way. Just pack it in, it can't be done. >:)

(I am, of course, not being serious yet) :p

I have 16 Traveler mod connected worlds in my six year old ongoing game, with several thousands of sims between them. I play five of these worlds where "my" sims live in rotation, and also leverage NRaas StoryProgression's caste features to rotate through anywhere from 2-10 households in each of those worlds. The other connected ones are the WA worlds, Uni, Oasis, custom vacation destinations where my sims might have friends and vacation homes, and a couple where no one I play really lives there anymore but there might be some friends of the elders or some very distant relatives still hanging around whom I don't want to lose completely just yet. To some, this game of mine seems extreme. But from chatting with colleagues at NRaas and on MTS, I can say that I'm not the only one who plays this way. Some have ongoing games started in 2009 when TS3 was first released that they still play, some who play more often or much faster than I do or who rotate less are on Generation 150 or something, etc.

With NRaas Traveler, there is no hard limit to the number of worlds one can connect. But I don't know of anyone who has, say, 50 or 100 of them within the same ongoing game. Seems like the TravelDB file that holds all of this together might corrupt and things would maybe begin falling apart somewhere along the line.

Things can of course go wrong, even with all of the mod protection in the world this game is delicate, and there are times when I have to revert to a prior save in the single timeline to replay around something awful happening. You can call me overly cautious, paranoid, all kinds of names, I call myself these names in fact so it's all good, but I have easily over 150 copies of this game from different points in time saved on internal and external drives. The notion of losing the entire thing at once is just not tolerable to me, the only ways that can happen would be if someone broke into my apartment and stole all my computer equipment, the entire building burned down (reminds me, I really need to send a few of these saves up to the Cloud one of these days), or if I get clonked on the head and don't even remember what a sim is. Plus it's fun to be able to open up one of those now ancient saves when looking for or trying to remember how something worked or what it looked like back then, whatever happened to that great painting so and so made, etc.

If you told me back then when I sat down, created my first sim, and placed him in Sunset Valley that I would still be playing TS3, and that same game save, six years later I would have said that you were crazy. This was only meant to be a let's check it out kind of thing, if I don't like it I'll easily find something else to play. That...didn't happen. And none of this was really planned out in advance, it all just sort of evolved over time.

As far as safeguards are concerned, it sounds like you are already well on your way to doing what you can for your ongoing game. But there's two issues to separate out a bit -- Prevention and Recovery. The system of backup saves however one arranges it are for Recovery should something catastrophic go wrong with the in-progress game or the computer on which it is being played. It's easy to say when one has successfully arranged that, just look at the number of saves you can resurrect at any given time. Prevention is, of course, trickier and some of it is more art than science. We have a page full of performance enhancing tips at NRaas in case you haven't seen it that covers most of the things we do to keep our ongoing games from imploding on us. Feel free to ask for assistance here or at NRaas if any of that requires further explanation. :)
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    ...as well as getting getting of the FeaturedItems folder. I know there is a way to keep the featureitems folder from showing up in the TS3 folder but I haven't yet tried it.
    There are two effective ways to manage FeaturedItems.

1 - Set the folder to be Read Only for the current user and at the System level, then empty it out. This has always worked for me, for some reason it doesn't for everyone.

2 - Delete the folder entirely. Create and save a text document using Notepad, Word, whatever you like, called FeaturedItems, but with extensions showing remove the .txt or .rtf (whatever it has) extension so it's just a generic document. Put that document in your TS3 user game folder. The game can't create a new folder with the same name of an object that's already in the folder and it can't store its junk in what is really a document rather than a folder, so after a while it just gives up. We've seen by watching Process Monitor tools that it still tries for a while when the game starts up and shuts down, but those failed attempts are less stressful on the system than actually allowing it to keep repopulating with useless items.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor You give me hope that I'm not crazy thinking I can do this! I have read some of that page on nraas that you linked while looking for how to do something but I'll be sure to pay more attention to it now that you've recommended it. It was actually your instructions there on creating a rotational caste that made me start thinking of this. I must have messed something up last time I tried it though because my main family's wishes were gone when I switched back. I did it right the first time when I did it as a test. No clue. I guess it will take a lot of trial and error to figure it all out. In many ways, TS3 is nothing like TS2 and TS4 both of which I'm very familiar with. Just doing some research I can see where I made mistakes the other times I tried playing it. But, I wasn't nearly as paranoid about losing things then as I am now. :D
  • Options
    I must have messed something up last time I tried it though because my main family's wishes were gone when I switched back. I did it right the first time when I did it as a test. No clue.
    There are at least six ways to switch active households. In order to preserve dreams and opportunities, the switch must be Dream Catching. Not all of them are, some of them require an option to be set by the player.

MasterController - Is Dream Catching if you set the option that way in MC > Settings. But then only for when an MC command is actually used to switch households.

StoryProgression
    - Is Dream Catching only if the household being left behind is set that way in Household (Town, Caste) Options. But then only for when an SP command is actually used to switch households. Thus you can set some households to always retain their dreams and opps while others not, but again only when an SP command is used to make the switch.

PortraitPanel - Is Dream Catching if you allow the switch active household option in PP and display inactive sims on the panel. This is probably the least used of all the methods.

Selector - Right-clicks to switch active households are always Dream Catching if that right-click to switch option is allowed for in Selector's settings.

Mover - If you are splitting a household and switching active play to a newly created one, the switch will be Dream Catching if it is allowed for in Mover's settings.

Edit Town - This is the EA way to switch actives and is not Dream Catching. Mover is supposed to provide the same protection here as it does on the moving by phone/computer screens, but it's not very reliable.

The Dreamer mod, although not required for any of the above, enhances dream management and makes things a bit more stable.

Having listed all of these out, I should mention that having Dream Managers running on inactive sims is very resource intensive. In most of my worlds I can't have DMs running on more than one or two inactive households, in some none at all, without seeing a huge performance hit. You can see how many DMs are running by way of a MC filter and can cancel them on all of the inactives (it's all or nothing) by way of an MC > Town command.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    There are at least six ways to switch active households. In order to preserve dreams and opportunities, the switch must be Dream Catching. Not all of them are, some of them require an option to be set by the player.

When I did it I thought I was using SP so I'm not sure what happened. I don't plan to have sims living in the same neighborhood often so it shouldn't be much of an issue but I was testing it out just to see if I knew how to do it and so I could have the two households meet. I didn't add selector because when I was playing a household with up to 18 sims in TS4 I got into the habit of right-clicking sims to switch to them so I'd drive myself nuts switching households by accident if I had that! :D I did add the Dreamer mod but then I'd figured out how to do the dream catching with SP and didn't really mess with it yet. There are so many mods that need so many settings it's overwhelming at times.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @Rainydayz179 - I totally agree with you on the Selector thing and I switched off the right-click feature ages ago after accidentally switching households far too many times when I really meant to be refocusing the game camera. On City Hall, NRaas >Selector > Switch Households on Right Click > False. The mod is very valuable though. When a scripted object or even a sim throws errors when being clicked upon, Selector can catch them and produce a script log that gives clues as to what's going wrong (we can help interpret these at NRaas if needed). It's like an ErrorTrap specifically for clickable objects that have menus.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Can't say my Sims 3 game is volatile, since I have been playing the same family for seven and a half years now (I'm in generation 21 at the moment). If anything I'd say on the contrary, Sims 3 enables me to still have every heir I ever played in my game (on the graveyard), which for me adds a lot of depth to the experience. And my world is filled with family members of my current heir.

Sims 3 can have its whims though, so it's a good idea to take some measures. I see you already got a lot of advice concerning mods and mods are great, but I must also add (after playing the game vanilla for years) it can actually be mods that make your game more sensitive/fragile. Ever since I use them I have occasional crashes, something that hardly happened before. This is not me being anti mods; the mods - and CC - I have now I wouldn't want to miss anymore, but it is a warning to be aware of that and not stuff your game with them. I often see mods presented as a solution, where I can't help wondering if they might in fact be part of the problem in some cases.

Though I hardly suffered from actual crashes when playing vanilla (I was not familiar with 'Sims 3 has stopped working', nor with the infamous error code 12), Sims 3 does come with save breaking bugs. Which is why I learned to 'save as' and number my files. That way, whenever things do go wrong, you can always return to an earlier save. Another thing I always do is saving my family on a regular basis (to MediaFire).

When you do use mods (and honestly, I can recommend them and in some worlds you'll have to because they have severe routing issues only NRaas mods will solve), you'll have to make sure to clean your cache files before playing (the ones @lisasc360 mentions). And whenever your game does crash, make sure to empty the currentgame folder before restarting the game.

Sims 3 is delicate, but also quite user friendly where it comes to saving the game, sims, families and houses. Which in my view makes it anything but a volatile game, as long as you take precautions.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    @Rainydayz179 - I totally agree with you on the Selector thing and I switched off the right-click feature ages ago after accidentally switching households far too many times when I really meant to be refocusing the game camera. On City Hall, NRaas >Selector > Switch Households on Right Click > False. The mod is very valuable though. When a scripted object or even a sim throws errors when being clicked upon, Selector can catch them and produce an script log that gives clues as to what's going wrong (we can help interpret these at NRaas if needed). It's like an ErrorTrap specifically for clickable objects that have menus.

Oh geeze. I seriously thought that all the Selector mod did was allow you to change households by right-clicking! I'll go read up on it. Thanks.
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 That's so cool that you're so many generations into a family. The most I've gotten has been legacy families where I played to the 10th gen and then used that gen to start something new. Lately, I get bored really quick and have been changing households and challenges a lot.

You mentioned that you save households to mediafire. How do you do that? I'm used to the gallery in Sims 4 where I can save households or builds as a backup.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @JoAnne65 That's so cool that you're so many generations into a family. The most I've gotten has been legacy families where I played to the 10th gen and then used that gen to start something new. Lately, I get bored really quick and have been changing households and challenges a lot.

You mentioned that you save households to mediafire. How do you do that? I'm used to the gallery in Sims 4 where I can save households or builds as a backup.
    Saving families happens in edit town. Just click on the family and a window will pop up. Choose the icon that says ‘share’.

2027728.jpg

The file will end up in your Exports folder and from there you can save it to MediaFire. I prefer this to Sims 3’s “gallery” (the Exchange) because EA deletes them from there from time to time. Plus you may not always want other simmers to be able to download your household.

As for getting bored with one family, funny thing in my case is that that’s what happened to me in the beginning (jumping from one to the other). At one point I just decided to stick to this one family and make every new generation a fresh and different one. Not using any cheats helped me not getting bored as well (before that I’d constantly cheat ;)). And maybe playing rotational will work for you?

Oh, p.s., another tip concerning saving: not only save as, but also make sure to save at a regular point (in my case at night, as soon as they go to bed I save my game (as) and it’s become such a habit that I never forget). Sims 3 doesn’t have autosaving and this is what secures that. I also save after an event I really don’t want to lose (at night I number my file, when I save during the day I add a, b, c to the number).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The file will end up in your Exports folder and from there you can save it to MediaFire. I prefer this to Sims 3’s “gallery” (the Exchange) because EA deletes them from there from time to time. Plus you may not always want other simmers to be able to download your household.

Oh cool, thanks. Yes, I've seen that export button but assumed that it was just for the exchange.

I'm with you on the not cheating thing. Which is why I usually get bored about 4 gens into a legacy... they always have tons of money and there's no reason to even leave the house and explore. There are usually so many sims in the family it takes constant monitoring to keep everyone's needs up and working on whatever tasks it is they need to be doing. After a while, it starts to feel like a chore. I'm probably feeling that way because all I've played up until recently are huge families though. :D
  • Options
    When a household has too much money, great toys constantly around them, and LTRs, every room is always well decorated, every seat or bed is such a powerful provider of comfort, etc., for things to even be challenging anymore, it might be time to break off and play grown up kids who are ready to move out on their own. Or maybe start spending some of that money to improve the lives of other sims in town.

For those who might be interested in an extra challenge in this regard: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=432449

I've been using the "Hot" version, the one in the middle of the three, for a couple of years now. It really changes gameplay tremendously, at least it did for me. Suddenly all of the little +5 and +10 moodlets become very important and it can be really difficult even in the best of environments to be able to send a sim off to work/school with enough persistent positive moodlets to keep them happy throughout their day.

Fortunately inactive sims are not affected, only the actively being played household at the time. I would hate to have to keep doing that many creative things to keep the inactive sims around mine happy as well. There's only so much shoving of perfect meals and herbs into my guests, forcing them to sit on overly comfortable sofas in lavishly furnished living rooms playing games to keep their fun levels up, and so on that I can tolerate before I just don't want to have guests over anymore. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor I've never thought of improving the lives of other sims in town. By and large most people I associate with can't even understand why I want to have my households get to know the townies and why I want to give them makeovers and backstories and stuff! I like the sense of community. People keep telling me they just delete the randomly generated sims... something you don't have to deal with in Sims 3 unless you have sims being immigrated. Yet another reason to find some smaller worlds to explore. I think in a smaller neighborhood it would be easier to have a sense of community. That's my theory at least.

That mood mod sounds pretty cool. I really like the moodlet system in this game. There's a lot more of a motivation to keep them happy. I had a heck of a time keeping one of my uni students happy. I ended up paying for one of those expensive spa treatments. I think I'll try out the mild flavor at first. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @Rainydayz179 - I don't care what the people with whom you associate think any more than I care what the people with whom I associate think. ;)

On the inactive households and their lives, I use NRaas SP Money and its Unified Billing together with graduated income/property taxes and misc fees to ensure that they are all being taxed appropriately. Courtesy of what is currently the beta testing version of NRaas GoHere, I also charge entry fees at the door/gate for most venues -- obviously not the municipal ones, the Public Library is always free, or those where the sim is supposed to be shopping anyway like grocery and book stores, but the venues and even some of the parks. It's very difficult, although not impossible, for the inactives to rise up in the world in my game but it's not happening automatically either as in a modless game where inactives don't have to pay bills at all.

It's also kind to help out the others in town if your household has millions that really aren't getting put to better use, but sometimes it really isn't. If an inactive household that is only making just enough to get by and maybe save a little here and there on their own suddenly finds themselves the owners of exorbitantly expensive hot tubs, appliances, and electronics, to the point where they cannot afford their property tax bills, and these are things they cannot sell as they aren't personal inventory items, then they will have to move (by way of SP) to a house that they can better afford and sustain. >:)

Usually I go for the kindness thing, though. I love playing around with an entire town to see what kinds of impact I can have even if I never have any intention of making all 200+ residents in it actively played.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

Oh cool, thanks. Yes, I've seen that export button but assumed that it was just for the exchange.

I'm with you on the not cheating thing. Which is why I usually get bored about 4 gens into a legacy... they always have tons of money and there's no reason to even leave the house and explore. There are usually so many sims in the family it takes constant monitoring to keep everyone's needs up and working on whatever tasks it is they need to be doing. After a while, it starts to feel like a chore. I'm probably feeling that way because all I've played up until recently are huge families though. :D
    For generations I moved on with my heir, taking the entire family fund with me because hey, technically I earned that money right ;)? I agree with you though, so what I do now is move the heir to a new place, not following them and then change households through edit town. That way all the money stays with the parents and my heir has to start from scratch.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @igazor I'm pretty sure I do have the unified billing enabled but I'll double check when I get in game. It's a pretty neat concept considering they all actually do go to work when they're inactive. I also like the entrance fee idea. Anything that makes the game more challenging is good with me! (even if they aren't my personal sims!)

Which brings me to wonder what is a good number for inactives? You mention 200. I'm not sure if that's just an offhand number or if it's closer to what you have. My original thought was that the more the better so I have a selection for my heir but I've got this whole obsession with knowing what everyone is doing all the time. Seriously, I even have it set to prompt me to name the babies and once I get the notification they are born I go to see them! So, I was thinking a small number of sims would be good. But at the same time when one of my played sims goes into a venue it would be nice if it isn't the exact same sims each time showing up. I'm just wondering what is a good balance?
  • Options
    For generations I moved on with my heir, taking the entire family fund with me because hey, technically I earned that money right ;)? I agree with you though, so what I do now is move the heir to a new place, not following them and then change households through edit town. That way all the money stays with the parents and my heir has to start from scratch.

See now, I always stayed on the legacy lot with the heir. Until I played a challenge called the Drifter Challenge in which each generations heir left their parents home with literally nothing but the clothes on their back. It's how I learned to build since they start on an empty lot with no money. So fun! But the reason I stopped playing that one was that you could only play the heir. You couldn't play spares or return to see how the parents were doing. It was depressing to suddenly get a notification that the other sims had passed away! Same thing with legacies. The spares move out of the house and your heir might visit them and invite them to parties but you're cut off from them. Which is why I've been moving away from challenges even though it's been the main way I've played for almost 4 years!
  • Options
    Which brings me to wonder what is a good number for inactives? You mention 200. I'm not sure if that's just an offhand number or if it's closer to what you have. My original thought was that the more the better so I have a selection for my heir but I've got this whole obsession with knowing what everyone is doing all the time. Seriously, I even have it set to prompt me to name the babies and once I get the notification they are born I go to see them! So, I was thinking a small number of sims would be good. But at the same time when one of my played sims goes into a venue it would be nice if it isn't the exact same sims each time showing up. I'm just wondering what is a good balance?
    It totally depends on the size and usable space of the worlds in question, player preferences, and the strength of their system. To clarify, I'm talking about actual resident sims, as can be measured on City Hall/in-game computer with NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter. Service and other homeless NPCs don't count.

I like having more sims in each world than my actives can possibly ever know real well and there always being strangers to meet. Or even more than I can know and keep track of. I would never try to watch over what all of the sims in town are doing individually unless I had a population of smaller than 35 or so, but I use Tagger to sort of get an overview of world activity from Map View and periodically zoom in on or MC Open lots of those I am curious about -- typically while my own sims are sleeping, at work, or engaging in some time-consuming activity where they don't need my involvement like reading books or practicing on skill objects.

Most of the worlds I play can accommodate well over 200 residents as long as I provide more housing. Riverview is the central world to my game and there's over 250 there now. Somewhere around 300, for me, performance begins to degrade or RAM usage gets dangerously high especially with NRaas StoryProgression running (on any progression speed). Others with stronger systems can take things a bit further. I have just over 160 crammed into Twinbrook, but it's a mess because I hate building houses on swampland so the average residence has something like 6 or 7 sims in it now. But the demographics also went top-heavy on elders in that world, I've got to sort that all out the next time I switch into it. For the WA worlds and any that are really only ever going to be vacation destinations and not homeworlds, I'm happy enough with smaller local populations. My sims only tend to stay around 3-10 sim days at a time and it's not always necessary to lose myself and them in the crowds like they can do back home. Unless, of course, they are vacationing in a dense urban setting like Bridgeport but that's a world I'm already playing actively anyway.

And some players just don't want all the overhead and will be much happier with 50-100 residents in each world they play. Or even fewer. But you can't really expect to have wide varieties of sims to date and breed with (at home, anyway) if your high school graduating class is your own sim plus one or two others. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited December 2017

See now, I always stayed on the legacy lot with the heir. Until I played a challenge called the Drifter Challenge in which each generations heir left their parents home with literally nothing but the clothes on their back. It's how I learned to build since they start on an empty lot with no money. So fun! But the reason I stopped playing that one was that you could only play the heir. You couldn't play spares or return to see how the parents were doing. It was depressing to suddenly get a notification that the other sims had passed away! Same thing with legacies. The spares move out of the house and your heir might visit them and invite them to parties but you're cut off from them. Which is why I've been moving away from challenges even though it's been the main way I've played for almost 4 years!
    In that case (bold) you could move out with the parents and then return to the heir immediately after. It's the household you follow that gets the money. I've played the life of a homeless sim as well by the way (a little outing from my legacy ;)), 0 simoleons and just owning a very small and empty lot. Trying to make money without getting a job (in the end he built himself a mansion). Indeed, so much fun! That sim didn't have any family (apart from all the kids he fathered along the way :p ), but when they do you indeed can always visit that family. And you get a notification before they actually pass away, I always pay them a last visit. And collect their grave once they died and place it in the cemetery. I must add that I'm having no trouble myself leaving heirs behind by following the next heir. The previous heirs achieved what I wanted them to achieve and their life has become somewhat boring. I love moving on, with brand new plans and ideas with a new sim. Only once did I really regret having to move on, that one sim for some reason was very special to me. No idea why, it's not like I enjoyed his generation the most as a player or felt more connected to him than to the others.

Anyway, we all have our own ways of playing and enjoying the game I think. The art is to discover what works for you.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @igazor Good points. I'll want my kids to have friends and high school crushes and all that. I'm starting with an empty world right now. Trying to decide how fast I want to fill it and if I want to grab sims from other saves. I'd like to get some sims people have made but I'm afraid they'll come with CC and I don't want that bogging down my game. At the moment it's just my two households and all of the role sims. Oh, and a ton of tourists since I increased the numbers for them. I tried searching for a way to find out what world tourists are from but I can't find anything. A few I've seen I know where they came from and a few I'm pretty sure they were from Oasis Landing because they were plumbots and futuristic looking. :D Would there be any adverse effects from having the tourist numbers up? I think I have it at 35 or something now but I thought of making it higher.
  • Options
    Anyway, we all have our own ways of playing and enjoying the game I think. The art is to discover what works for you.

Very true. And it changes... at least for me it does. I like your way of doing things. I think I'll try it whenever I actually play long enough to get to the next gen. ;)
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member

In that case (bold) you could move out with the parents and then return to the heir immediately after. It's the household you follow that gets the money. I've played the life of a homeless sim as well by the way (a little outing from my legacy ;)), 0 simoleons and just owning a very small and empty lot. Trying to make money without getting a job (in the end he built himself a mansion). Indeed, so much fun! That sim didn't have any family (apart from all the kids he fathered along the way :p ), but when they do you indeed can always visit that family. And you get a notification before they actually pass away, I always pay them a last visit. And collect their grave once they died and place it in the cemetery. I must add that I'm having no trouble myself leaving heirs behind by following the next heir. The previous heirs achieved what I wanted them to achieve and their life has become somewhat boring. I love moving on, with brand new plans and ideas with a new sim. Only once did I really regret having to move on, that one sim for some reason was very special to me. No idea why, it's not like I enjoyed his generation the most as a player or felt more connected to him than to the others.

One way to manage this and allow someone moving out of home to not start with nothing might be to use Ani's Buyable Moneybag available at NRaas. This way you can choose how much money they start with by buying moneybags with family funds, placing them in their personal inventories which they then cash in after you have moved them out (assuming they are going to be the active sims). You might also want to look at Ani's original page on MTS where she gives more info about the mod.