Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the game stop generating NPC's if I have unemployed home sims?

I am wondering if I leave some of my home sims from my saved households jobless, will it lessen generated npc's?

Comments

• aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Nope it won't - you only get less npc's when your neighbourhood is full to capacity
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    also, a lot of the things the townie sims are generated for specifically look for unhoused sims to fill the role. if there isn't an unhoused sim, it will make one. you can (sort of) get around this by making 'townies' of your own. sims you make specifically to make sure they have traits/outfits you deem worthy (because, yikes, some of those outfits sims roll on their own...), put them in houses/apartments, then immediately evict them. if they're not flagged as played, they'll be treated as townies. there are several people that even make sets of townies for you to do this with (was looking at one earlier who had things like 'business' townies, 'vampires', 'steampunk', 'hiphop' and more). and some simmers have asked to make played households from other simmers into townies for themselves (i've uploaded a few of my played households and a lot of townies for this reason)
  • AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member
    No it won't.

Some NPC roles require your sims to have certain traits and skills, and the game wouldn't just use the unemployed sims you have, but you can manually add these traits or skills through cheats, and you can save them to use them in every save file or to share them. Without any mod, it will make your game generate less townies, but it will not stop townie generating.

I have a mod on MTS that prevents more excessive townies from being generated, but currently it is not updated for Cats and Dogs yet (but soon, since I am testing it now). With this mod and with many townies that I made myself, my game have not generated any townie for a few (irl) months. But it can be time-consuming to try to control the population though, since the game requires really a lot of NPCs, and I understand that mods are not everyone's cup of tea.