The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has 200 million monthly players!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Felicity wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    Here's a link to the article in case you want to read it for yourself...

http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/interviews-and-opinion/66418/we-see-crunch-as-a-sign-of-failure-says-sims-4-lead-producer/

Origin Access is a thing (you can play sims and a bunch of other EA games for 5 bucks a month) so maybe that's where they are getting their numbers. 200 million does seem a bit high but who knows.

I'm also real triggered by the fact that he said Sims 3 only had 1 expansions a year. 2012 had three... 2013 had three... the only year we had one was the first year. And he didn't mention the vast store content... so that added to the load too. :| I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused where that came from.

He said Maxis at Redwood City - the store content and the 2nd ep team was at Salt Lake City EA studio. He only counted what his teams did at Maxis from what I can see.

From what I heard Grant was just quoting something EA's CEO Andrew Wilson stated -

ETA - By the way here is the link to them selling 5 million and the badge from 2016-

http://jstationx.com/2016/06/16/the-sims-4-sales-5-million-copies/

Sure, but pretty sure that's combined sales of DLC + base game, not just the base game. Generally, they combine those numbers.

I have no idea how they get that figure to be honest. I remember that question was asked a lot after it was announced but cannot recall any one saying either way if it was just base games or what. I just know at the time some of us couldn't believe it.

I could see it now since this years content has been pretty darn good. Brought me back to playing - as did a lot of people between toddlers and the Vamps. I knew a ton of people who had given up and when they heard the toddler were here finally - well many went on a spending spree shortly after trying the toddlers and bought up all the packs they hadn't gotten. .. including me. So the numbers are up to say the least - but at the most I would maybe guess perhaps 2 million a month seeing I see 60,000 - 70,000 plus when I do play no matter what day it is.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/interviews-and-opinion/66418/we-see-crunch-as-a-sign-of-failure-says-sims-4-lead-producer/

Origin Access is a thing (you can play sims and a bunch of other EA games for 5 bucks a month) so maybe that's where they are getting their numbers. 200 million does seem a bit high but who knows.

I'm also real triggered by the fact that he said Sims 3 only had 1 expansions a year. 2012 had three... 2013 had three... the only year we had one was the first year. And he didn't mention the vast store content... so that added to the load too. :| I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused where that came from.

He said Maxis at Redwood City - the store content and the 2nd ep team was at Salt Lake City EA studio. He only counted what his teams did at Maxis from what I can see.

From what I heard Grant was just quoting something EA's CEO Andrew Wilson stated -

ETA - By the way here is the link to them selling 5 million and the badge from 2016-

Sure, but pretty sure that's combined sales of DLC + base game, not just the base game. Generally, they combine those numbers.

I have no idea how they get that figure to be honest. I remember that question was asked a lot after it was announced but cannot recall any one saying either way if it was just base games or what. I just know at the time some of us couldn't believe it.

I could see it now since this years content has been pretty darn good. Brought me back to playing - as did a lot of people between toddlers and the Vamps. I knew a ton of people who had given up and when they heard the toddler were here finally - well many went on a spending spree shortly after trying the toddlers and bought up all the packs they hadn't gotten. .. including me. So the numbers are up to say the least - but at the most I would maybe guess perhaps 2 million a month seeing I see 60,000 - 70,000 plus when I do play no matter what day it is.

Yeah, I keep giving up the Sims 4 because of bugs, but I have to admit I keep coming back as well. I love the vampires, and I'm hoping that the bugs that are driving me nuts will be addressed next patch. I do own all of the packs and I'd probably buy more if they put out more. However, 2 million active players seems too high to me, tbh -- Sims 4, while engaging, is a three year old game. I see the same number of people logged on in the evenings that you do but my guess is the number of active players is in the hundreds of thousands. Which really is a lot of active players.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Yeah, I keep giving up the Sims 4 because of bugs, but I have to admit I keep coming back as well. I love the vampires, and I'm hoping that the bugs that are driving me nuts will be addressed next patch. I do own all of the packs and I'd probably buy more if they put out more. However, 2 million active players seems too high to me, tbh -- Sims 4, while engaging, is a three year old game. I see the same number of people logged on in the evenings that you do but my guess is the number of active players is in the hundreds of thousands. Which really is a lot of active players.

I agree - I love the Vamps too and the toddlers of course.

I know what you mean, now they have me back - I will probably buy everything to come.

I have had pretty good luck in the bugs department - but my pc could play anything with out an issue - so it may be why I rarely get any issues.

When we built this pc I had Fall Out 4 in mind, so the Sims is a piece of cake for it. So that may be why I don't see hardly an issues - but I know well how annoying it can be if you have any. I do know I have to tread lightly with the Vamps right now as I hear they can lose their powers and didn't want to have that happen - so instead of chancing it -I moved my save out of the game and started new for C & D - just in case. When they iron out those issues for the Vamps - then I will return to that game.

So far - so good in the new save. No issues yet anyway - but I am just playing with a single Ya in the new town and seeing how that goes - for now.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited December 2017

I agree - I love the Vamps too and the toddlers of course.

I know what you mean, now they have me back - I will probably buy everything to come.

I have had pretty good luck in the bugs department - but my pc could play anything with out an issue - so it may be why I rarely get any issues.

When we built this pc I had Fall Out 4 in mind, so the Sims is a piece of cake for it. So that may be why I don't see hardly an issues - but I know well how annoying it can be if you have any. I do know I have to tread lightly with the Vamps right now as I hear they can lose their powers and didn't want to have that happen - so instead of chancing it -I moved my save out of the game and started new for C & D - just in case. When they iron out those issues for the Vamps - then I will return to that game.

So far - so good in the new save. No issues yet anyway - but I am just playing with a single Ya in the new town and seeing how that goes - for now.

Oh yeah, I run FO4 no problem -- I built my PC with VR in mind. When I hung the sensors on our family room walls, my husband just groaned at the hanging wires. I'll tack them down and paint them eventually. Anyway, the bugs I'm currently encountering appeared after the last patch so I'm fairly sure are related to that. There were a lot of changes that came with Cats and Dogs. I hope they get sorted the next patch, but I've been having a blast building in the meantime.
  • Options
    Buildings good. I love to see all the builds on the gallery, and on twitter, and in the forums. Amazing creations every where.

At least building you don't usually get game issues. Good way to past the time waiting for patches - for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017
    Here is the quote from the article. "We have more people playing the game now than we have ever had. We have 200m monthly active users. " In this context, it's obvious that he's talking 200,000, not 200,000,000.

The sims 4 I can promise you has not sold 200,000,000 copies, which would what would be required if the m stood for million instead of thousand. Though EA has not released sales data, they've probably sold about 4,000,000 of the base game (with quite a few more sales of all the packs bringing it up). With numbers like that, 5% of the base game buyers still being active players after three years is really impressive. Very few games have that type of longevity.

Consoles I'm sure will shoot that number up by a lot, even though consumers will never really get an idea of by how much.

Edit: As an aside, there's also this gem from the article: "Typically, on Sims 3 we used to do one expansion per year and then did a couple of stuff packs. "

In what year did Sims 3 only put out one expansion pack? They put out more expansions than stuff packs. I'm thinking more and more, sloppy author, because I can't think of a reason why the guru would say something so obviously untrue about a previous game.

I'm loving your posts. You picked up a lot of the things that I was wondering about as well.

There were a few instances of blatant misinformation in that article. Which made me also question the truthfulness of the remark about how many people signed on monthly. The person being interviewed didn't seem to know about the history of the Sims at all.

Or, perhaps the interviewer made those mistakes. However, what does the author have to gain by getting the guru's words so wrong? It would be bad reporting. Which may result in more difficulty getting another interview in the future.

Clarifications and corrections should be forthcoming.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Felicity wrote: »
    Here is the quote from the article. "We have more people playing the game now than we have ever had. We have 200m monthly active users. " In this context, it's obvious that he's talking 200,000, not 200,000,000.

The sims 4 I can promise you has not sold 200,000,000 copies, which would what would be required if the m stood for million instead of thousand. Though EA has not released sales data, they've probably sold about 4,000,000 of the base game (with quite a few more sales of all the packs bringing it up). With numbers like that, 5% of the base game buyers still being active players after three years is really impressive. Very few games have that type of longevity.

Consoles I'm sure will shoot that number up by a lot, even though consumers will never really get an idea of by how much.

Edit: As an aside, there's also this gem from the article: "Typically, on Sims 3 we used to do one expansion per year and then did a couple of stuff packs. "

In what year did Sims 3 only put out one expansion pack? They put out more expansions than stuff packs. I'm thinking more and more, sloppy author, because I can't think of a reason why the guru would say something so obviously untrue about a previous game.

The Sims 4 gets 200k players a day easily, there is 50k - 100k on at once during certain parts of the day.

If The Sims 4 was getting 200k players a month, they would have dropped it without delay. Lol.

200,000 is not a bad figure for MAU at all, especially with the game being over 3 years old!

Fallout 4 for example, averages around 20k MAU. Cities skylines, averages around 8k. (http://steamcharts.com - can view stats on most steam games).

MAU doesn’t take into account multiple different sessions. If you are active in the month, you are counted. So 50k one day, and 50k another day would not equal 100k. There’s no way to differentiate between people on our end, and surely there would be overlap that would lower the final average quite a bit.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Finbar659 wrote: »
    That doesn't impress me - EA is only proud of quantity over quality :(

More players would indicate more quality, no? B)

Uhm. No. Now they know that with a game with nothing, people will still drool in front of them they won't give us a better game. If they can earn more by spending the least, they will continue like that. And TS4 will never have more quality. Sorry for us.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    @Finbar659 wrote: »
    That doesn't impress me - EA is only proud of quantity over quality :(

More players would indicate more quality, no? B)

Uhm. No. Now they know that with a game with nothing, people will still drool in front of them they won't give us a better game. If they can earn more by spending the least, they will continue like that. And TS4 will never have more quality. Sorry for us.

Quality is subjective is what you are forgetting. I happen to think Sims 4 does things better than past games such as pets, toddlers, and vampires. However, I know the game is far from perfect. I mainly feel it needs systems to make the sims more unique like wants, fears, hobby enthusiasm, and attraction preferences. I am glad Sims 4 is getting so many players.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited December 2017
    200,000 is not a bad figure for MAU at all, especially with the game being over 3 years old!

Fallout 4 for example, averages around 20k MAU. Cities skylines, averages around 8k. (http://steamcharts.com - can view stats on most steam games).

MAU doesn’t take into account multiple different sessions. If you are active in the month, you are counted. So 50k one day, and 50k another day would not equal 100k. There’s no way to differentiate between people on our end, and surely there would be overlap that would lower the final average quite a bit.
    Those games have way more MAU than the numbers you listed. The numbers on steamcharts are the average number of users playing the game concurrently during a month. MAU meanwhile is the total number of unique users that played the game during a month.

200k MAU is impossibly bad when you regularly have 50k+ players online concurrently.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    @Felicity wrote: »

The Sims 4 gets 200k players a day easily, there is 50k - 100k on at once during certain parts of the day.

If The Sims 4 was getting 200k players a month, they would have dropped it without delay. Lol.

Exactly. It's a fantastic number -- really unheard of. I have thought more about it, and my guess is the reason why the Simguru called it a hilariously ridiculous misquote is he's another person who thinks of m as million instead of thousand. (I use both, depending on context, but apparently it's not as common as I had thought).