Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has 200 million monthly players!

Comments

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Great news. It would appear that The Sims 4 has a bright future.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    As someone else in the thread has said, the Sims 4 has sold 5 million copies. Even if this figure is outdated, it is literally impossible for 200 million DIFFERENT people to launch the Sims 4 a month when only 5 million (give or take) DIFFERENT copies have been sold. At least it's doing well though.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    Yea this is confusing, I'd like if a guru or someone could elaborate more...
    @Felicity those numbers are insane! I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I open the game once a day maybe 5 times a week and that seems like a lot (to me) hard to believe 1 player would have to open the game 40 times a month...

Well, if it helps clear things up, the top google search for "200 million sims 4" is... this thread. There's no other place on the internet, at least not indexed by google, that supports this. I read through the quarterly report, and it is overjoyed with how well Sims 4 is doing, but it doesn't mention anything about 200 million anything.

Is there anyone who can provide a citation?
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    @Felicity those numbers are insane! I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I open the game once a day maybe 5 times a week and that seems like a lot (to me) hard to believe 1 player would have to open the game 40 times a month...

Well, if it helps clear things up, the top google search for "200 million sims 4" is... this thread. There's no other place on the internet, at least not indexed by google, that supports this. I read through the quarterly report, and it is overjoyed with how well Sims 4 is doing, but it doesn't mention anything about 200 million anything.

Hmm.... Strange.
    I guess the only source is the interview then? (Link in OP)
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    That doesn't impress me - EA is only proud of quantity over quality :(
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Hmm.... Strange.
    I guess the only source is the interview then? (Link in OP)

ROFL 200m means 200,000, not 200,000,000. M = 1,000. FWIW, MM = 1,000,000.

Edit: Well, that's mystery solved. It would have been solved sooner had I clicked the link and read the article sooner.

Yeah, 200,000 people playing per month makes a LOT more sense. The number the OP said was just, well, confounding, to put it mildly. I wasn't putting any stock in anything that was claiming that number.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017
    I was wondering.

If there were 200 million individual units sold, EA should have been shouting that from the rooftops. It would have been some type of record, no?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Cynna wrote: »
    I was wondering.

If there were 200 million individual units sold, EA should have been shouting that from the rooftops. It would have been some type of record, no?

Absolutely. That's why I couldn't figure it out. Even 200,000,000 combined logins is high enough to be questionable. I broke it down earlier, that only in the best possible scenario is even 200,000,000 combined hours is possible, but unlikely.

I think the problem is many people are used to K meaning 1,000 (for kilo). But M (1,000) and MM (1,000,000) are a different notation. It's commonly used in the financial sector.

So yeah, I would believe both 200,000 unique logins or 200,000 total logins. Most likely the former. That means that 5%-10% of people who owned the base game are still playing. That is still quite impressive, especially since the game is 3 years old and it's not accounting for people who play offline.

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017
    I was wondering.

Absolutely. That's why I couldn't figure it out. Even 200,000,000 combined logins is high enough to be questionable. I broke it down earlier, that only in the best possible scenario is even 200,000,000 combined hours is possible, but unlikely.

I think the problem is many people are used to K meaning 1,000 (for kilo). But M (1,000) and MM (1,000,000) are a different notation. It's commonly used in the financial sector.

So yeah, I would believe both 200,000 unique logins or 200,000 total logins. Most likely the former. That means that 5%-10% of people who owned the base game are still playing. That is still quite impressive, especially since the game is 3 years old and it's not accounting for people who play offline.

Interesting post. Thanks for the lesson. I've always been interested in this kind of thing. I had no idea about the designations m and mm (other than, in most cases, m indicated 1,000,000). Good to know.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I was wondering.

Interesting post. Thanks for the lesson. I've always been interested in this kind of thing. I had no idea about the designations m and mm (other than, in most cases, m indicated 1,000,000). Good to know.

The business and financial sectors have their own shorthand, I suppose. I see it in statistics as well, though. I am not sure if I ever have seen a million shortened to m as opposed to mil, but I guess if you're using k=1,000, it would make sense for m=1,000,000.

I think the author of the article was sloppy, tbh. Even my nerdy self would get that that would lead to confusion. It would be so much easier for everyone if we had one standard abbreviation for these numbers.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    There is absolutely no way only 200k people play TS4 in a month. A lot of times almost 100k people are online at the same time.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    [snip as I'm repeating myself]
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Here is the quote from the article. "We have more people playing the game now than we have ever had. We have 200m monthly active users. " In this context, it's obvious that he's talking 200,000, not 200,000,000.

The sims 4 I can promise you has not sold 200,000,000 copies, which would what would be required if the m stood for million instead of thousand. Though EA has not released sales data, they've probably sold about 4,000,000 of the base game (with quite a few more sales of all the packs bringing it up). With numbers like that, 5% of the base game buyers still being active players after three years is really impressive. Very few games have that type of longevity.

Consoles I'm sure will shoot that number up by a lot, even though consumers will never really get an idea of by how much.

Edit: As an aside, there's also this gem from the article: "Typically, on Sims 3 we used to do one expansion per year and then did a couple of stuff packs. "

In what year did Sims 3 only put out one expansion pack? They put out more expansions than stuff packs. I'm thinking more and more, sloppy author, because I can't think of a reason why the guru would say something so obviously untrue about a previous game.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Finbar659 wrote: »
    That doesn't impress me - EA is only proud of quantity over quality :(

More players would indicate more quality, no? B)
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Felicity wrote: »
    Here is the quote from the article. "We have more people playing the game now than we have ever had. We have 200m monthly active users. " In this context, it's obvious that he's talking 200,000, not 200,000,000.

The sims 4 I can promise you has not sold 200,000,000 copies, which would what would be required if the m stood for million instead of thousand. Though EA has not released sales data, they've probably sold about 4,000,000 of the base game (with quite a few more sales of all the packs bringing it up). With numbers like that, 5% of the base game buyers still being active players after three years is really impressive. Very few games have that type of longevity.

Consoles I'm sure will shoot that number up by a lot, even though consumers will never really get an idea of by how much.

Edit: As an aside, there's also this gem from the article: "Typically, on Sims 3 we used to do one expansion per year and then did a couple of stuff packs. "

In what year did Sims 3 only put out one expansion pack? They put out more expansions than stuff packs. I'm thinking more and more, sloppy author, because I can't think of a reason why the guru would say something so obviously untrue about a previous game.

The Sims 4 gets 200k players a day easily, there is 50k - 100k on at once during certain parts of the day.

If The Sims 4 was getting 200k players a month, they would have dropped it without delay. Lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Felicity wrote: »

The Sims 4 gets 200k players a day easily, there is 50k - 100k on at once during certain parts of the day.

If The Sims 4 was getting 200k players a month, they would have dropped it without delay. Lol.

200,000 active users is a lot. It's an awful lot, especially given the age of the game and the number of probable sales. And if those same people are daily players or even every other day, you'd still see those numbers. Especially if by "active" he meant people who log on a lot leaving out those who only log on a few times a month (and those would also boost the daily numbers).

200,000,000 is an impossible number of active users. In order to have 200,000,000 active users, you need to have sold at least 200,000,000 copies of the game (realistically, far more as most people quit playing any video game after a few months). If EA had sold 200,000,000+ copies of Sims 4, that would be sung from the skies.

I'm just going by what the article you quoted said. 200m active players, with most of them playing for 4 hours a login. Since it can't be 200,000,000 players, it's 200,000.

Edit: There's a third possibility, I suppose. Given the quote I put in afterwards about sims 3 that was completely false, maybe the author just got the number wrong.

Another edit: 200,000 active users does not mean 200,000 total users. Total users is probably much higher -- especially when you take into consideration offline users as well. What keeps Sims 4 going is the sales of their DLCs though. If those weren't selling at an acceptable rate (which probably isn't in the millions, believe it or not), they would pull the plug.

And the last edit: Given that when you google this topic, THIS thread is the only thing that comes up, that makes 200 mil even more unlikely. That would be major news in the gaming industry.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    SimGuruGrant has confirmed on Twitter that the "200m" number is a misquote.

That's the end of the 200m being 200,000 speculation since Grant himself reads 200m as 200 million and just calls it a misquote. In any case the author of that article just got the number wrong, simple as that.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    elelunicy wrote: »
    SimGuruGrant has confirmed on Twitter that the "200m" number is a misquote.

That's the end of the 200m being 200,000 speculation since Grant himself reads 200m as 200 million and just calls it a misquote. In any case the author of that article just got the number wrong, simple as that.

Yep, I listed that as the third possibility. But... that doesn't rule out 200k active users per month either ;) Just 200,000,000 :D

Edit: I was suspicious of the article, as I said a couple of times, because the author put in something I knew blatantly false. My own belief is it is more than 200k, now that I know the choice isn't between 200k and 200mil. A half mil wouldn't surprise me at all, as far as active users go. Which is a pretty stunning number.

Another edit: And thank you for going to the source and clearing it up!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Everytime I play I see around 60,000- 70,000 listed as playing the game. But just this year - since late January. Before that I saw numbers like 22,000 - maybe 34,000. But this year they are constantly in the high numbers. I do play mostly at night on several nights(2 or 3) a week and sometimes on week-ends for an hour or two.

But really - does it even matter how many people are playing or how many they have sold? Oh and they showed what was said to be the 5 million sold badge well over a year ago (I know cause many of us couldn't believe it. Found out Europe really loved it and that was before toddlers even) - and back then the EA heads were not all full of excitement like they are now. The Sims didn't even get mention during all of last years conference calls - but this year is whole different story.

But still I don't see the interest in other people money anyway. I will never understand what difference it makes what any one else makes - if it is not me - or you - I fail to see the point.

Okay, perhaps it reassures some people who worried about it doing well and if it would continue - but it should be enough just to know the company is thrilled with it - and reassuring the ones who do really love the game. I know I wouldn't be obsessing over it - for sure. LOL. I do know the game has gotten a lot better this year though.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited December 2017
    Here's a link to the article in case you want to read it for yourself...

http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/interviews-and-opinion/66418/we-see-crunch-as-a-sign-of-failure-says-sims-4-lead-producer/

Origin Access is a thing (you can play sims and a bunch of other EA games for 5 bucks a month) so maybe that's where they are getting their numbers. 200 million does seem a bit high but who knows.

I'm also real triggered by the fact that he said Sims 3 only had 1 expansions a year. 2012 had three... 2013 had three... the only year we had one was the first year. And he didn't mention the vast store content... so that added to the load too. :| I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused where that came from.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Xoxk9 wrote: »

http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/interviews-and-opinion/66418/we-see-crunch-as-a-sign-of-failure-says-sims-4-lead-producer/

Origin Access is a thing (you can play sims and a bunch of other EA games for 5 bucks a month) so maybe that's where they are getting their numbers. 200 million does seem a bit high but who knows.

I'm also real triggered by the fact that he said Sims 3 only had 1 expansions a year. 2012 had three... 2013 had three... the only year we had one was the first year. And he didn't mention the vast store content... so that added to the load too. :| I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused where that came from.

Already been confirmed a "hilariously absurd" misquote ;) A couple of posts up. The author of the article probably fell asleep then made things up ;)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017

He said Maxis at Redwood City - the store content and the 2nd ep team was at Salt Lake City EA studio. He only counted what his teams did at Maxis from what I can see.

From what I heard Grant was just quoting something EA's CEO Andrew Wilson stated -

ETA - By the way here is the link to them selling 5 million and the badge from 2016-

http://jstationx.com/2016/06/16/the-sims-4-sales-5-million-copies/

ETA - Misquote then. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

He said Maxis at Redwood City - the store content and the 2nd ep team was at Salt Lake City EA studio. He only counted what his teams did at Maxis from what I can see.

From what I heard Grant was just quoting something EA's CEO Andrew Wilson stated -

ETA - By the way here is the link to them selling 5 million and the badge from 2016-

http://jstationx.com/2016/06/16/the-sims-4-sales-5-million-copies/

Sure, but pretty sure that's combined sales of DLC + base game, not just the base game. Generally, they combine those numbers.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    THANK GOODNESS
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited December 2017
    Already been confirmed a "hilariously absurd" misquote ;) A couple of posts up. The author of the article probably fell asleep then made things up ;)

Shanks LOL ;) I shoulda refreshed the thread before posting haha
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I didn't get that impression from the interview, I thought he was referring to Sims as a whole. That may have been another thing lost in editing. :D
    Typically, on Sims 3 we used to do one expansion per year and then did a couple of stuff packs. Now we are doing three or four stuff packs a year, one or two game packs and we have been doing one expansion per year, in addition to the free updates. We had to fundamentally reorganise our team around that idea.

Aww wells, if the team is much smaller, that would make more sense why we're only getting one a year... and I understand that we can't get as much as we used to. #blameEa