Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has 200 million monthly players!

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
SimGuruGrant just confirmed that The Sims 4 gets over 200 million monthly players, which doesn't mean that there are 200m people who have bought The Sims 4, but The Sims 4 is opened 200 million times by the install base a month!

And each log in works out to be roughly 4 hours!
This doesn't include pirated users as they cannot connect to the internet and can only play offline.

To give you a comparison, this game would be sitting at #2 on Steam's most played list, if it was on Steam, behind PlayerUnknown's: Battlegrounds!

No wonder they wanted to get it to console with all DLC!

Source

Comments

• TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    SimGuruGrant just confirmed that The Sims 4 gets over 200 million monthly players, which doesn't mean that there are 200m people who have bought The Sims 4, but The Sims 4 is opened 200 million times by the install base a month!

English is not my first language, or I may know about it, but I am not very good at it. Can you please explain these further? I don't understand this part. :)

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @TS1299 wrote: »

English is not my first language, or I may know about it, but I am not very good at it. Can you please explain these further? I don't understand this part. :)

It basically means The Sims 4 is opened 200 million times a month. So when it opens in Origin, it counts as one play session. The Sims 4 is launched via Origin 200 million times, by the people who have bought the game.

It's hard to explain, lol.
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    ok i never though a game like sims will hit that number but thats impressive and an incredible achievement overall greatjob to the sims team!
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Basically it counts my game 3 opening times if it is opened on every computer We downloaded it on. Used to be 4 times but my daughter returned the ps4 version saying it was too wonky to control.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    This is definitely a misquote. Monthly active user (MAU) means the number of unique users that play the game during a month. The number of times a user opening the game doesn't matter.

A more believable number is that TS4 has 2 million monthly active users, which is still very good.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

This doesn't include pirated users as they cannot connect to the internet and can only play offline.

To give you a comparison, this game would be sitting at #2 on Steam's most played list, if it was on Steam, behind PlayerUnknown's: Battlegrounds!

Source

Isn’t that exactly what ‘monthly active users’ means? In which case 200 million is no where near what the actual number should be, that’s like almost on par with twitter which has a little over 300 million monthly users. I find that number very hard to believe...
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member

Source

Isn’t that exactly what ‘monthly active users’ means? In which case 200 million is no where near what the actual number should be, that’s like almost on par with twitter which has a little over 300 million monthly users. I find that number very hard to believe...

Does seem like a lot, but according to a quick internet search, it's sold 5 million copies, so it's possible, I spose.
  • Katie123Katie123 Posts: 925 Member
    that's awesome. Happy simming everyone
    tumblr_n25chlaSo01rrajoto1_500.gif

Katie123
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    Hmmm, I opened the Sims 4 six times today already. Not to play, though. I have a weird bug where if I make any changes using MC Command Center, my game corrupts a bit, and freezes on load for a bit, then when it breaks through the freeze, loads four times at the household level. Usually, I can fix it by doing a Save As and then repairing the game via Origin.

Other times, I'll just leave Sims 4 running because that's what I do with any video game. I pause it, then go about my life, then come back to it.

If the game is really being opened 200 million times per month, that's seriously impressive. But that also leads to the question why EA doesn't hire more people and start pumping out dlc. You'd think they'd want to capitalize on that like they did with Sims 3, where the content-pump-out was at ridiculous levels. Even if only 5% of their devoted user base was buying the DLC, that would still be quite the profit going on. And my guess is more than 5% of active players buy DLC.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

It basically means The Sims 4 is opened 200 million times a month. So when it opens in Origin, it counts as one play session. The Sims 4 is launched via Origin 200 million times, by the people who have bought the game.

Thank You. I finally get it. Thank you for your time.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Hmmm, I opened the Sims 4 six times today already. Not to play, though. I have a weird bug where if I make any changes using MC Command Center, my game corrupts a bit, and freezes on load for a bit, then when it breaks through the freeze, loads four times at the household level. Usually, I can fix it by doing a Save As and then repairing the game via Origin.

Other times, I'll just leave Sims 4 running because that's what I do with any video game. I pause it, then go about my life, then come back to it.

If the game is really being opened 200 million times per month, that's seriously impressive. But that also leads to the question why EA doesn't hire more people and start pumping out dlc. You'd think they'd want to capitalize on that like they did with Sims 3, where the content-pump-out was at ridiculous levels. Even if only 5% of their devoted user base was buying the DLC, that would still be quite the profit going on. And my guess is more than 5% of active players buy DLC.

If I'm understanding things correctly, your opening of your game counts as 1. The computer ID has to be different for it to count again. In other words it's allegedly 200 million users per month. I can open my game ten times in a day, but it will only count as 1.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

If I'm understanding things correctly, your opening of your game counts as 1. The computer ID has to be different for it to count again. In other words it's allegedly 200 million users per month. I can open my game ten times in a day, but it will only count as 1.

So opening mine would count as 3 then? We have opened the game on 3 different computers during the day, which just logs out the previous from origin.
  • coffeeshoppecoffeeshoppe Posts: 22 Member
    I love all of the positive news regarding sims 4. Honestly , that is very easy to see . Many people are playing , loving and enjoying the game.

I am one of those players each day, let alone monthly <3
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member

Am I confused (and very tired..) But wouldnt that mean it sold at least 200 million times then..? Because that's... A lot...
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    When they say over 200,000,000 users per month, is that based on the IP address or the MAC ID# of the user? If it is based on the IP address, then it doesn’t matter how many computers you have hooked up to your home network, they all use the same IP address and would count as 1 no matter which computer you used to load up the game. If it is based on the MAC ID#, then each computer on your network would count individually when you load up the game. Or, do they count each time you load up the game as 1 no matter how many times you load up the game on any of your computers in a month. Unless we know which method they are using to count, the numbers can be interpreted in different ways.

I may be wrong, if so, please set me straight.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

Being opened 200 million times is a lot different then 200 million users a month. I open my game anywhere to 45-60+ times a month. There are days that I open my game for 10 minutes, then close it down. I never just leave my game running. If I'm not playing, it's off and if I feel like playing later, I restart the game.
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    wow thats pretty impressive. i never would have guessed that.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    That number is really hard to believe if it's unique users.
  • LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    Of course it's not the users count, even WOW have 1/10 this amount and that game is the ultimate golden cow. That being said, it's still a pretty solid number and I don't doubt it at all. The Sims is a game that pretty much everybody knows, even though it has a smaller playerbase than some equally popular franchises.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Terra wrote: »
    That number is really hard to believe if it's unique users.

The CEO Andrew Wilson also said it during an interview. He expressed how happy they are at EA with Sims 4 already, and on top of that they were adding Sims 4 mobile and the Sims 4 on Consoles.

Believe me EA heads, and stock holders couldn't be happier with The Sims.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @Writin_Reg Grant isn't the CEO. Are you referring to a different interview?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes with Andrew Wilson. I believe that Lead dev was just commenting on what Andrew Wilson had already said in his interview - that's all.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Glad to hear it is doing well.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    There's no way that there are 200 million unique users of the Sims 4 -- it hasn't sold 200 million copies. It's easier to believe that the game is launched 200 million times, though that seems really high as well. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Sims 4 has sold 5 million copies of the base game (I don't think the base game has sold that much, but it's a nice round number to work with). That would mean that if all 5 million copies were being played (and no, not all people who bought the game are still playing it), it would have to be launched 40 times per month per user. So people are, on average, playing Sims 4 multiple times a day for at least part of the month. And if the average login session is 4 hours, that's a whole lot of hours people are playing. For at least a third of the month, you have people playing 8+ hours per day.

But I'm glad to see that Sims 4 is selling well and is a major part of the reason EA is making $$$$. Maybe that will translate into more people being hired, more content being released, more bugs being squashed, and fewer bugs being released. But knowing EA, they'll instead invest in a game which will flop.

Edit: Giving it more thought than I really need to, a believable 200 million number would be hours played per month total. If the average login is 4 hours, then for our five million people, they'd be playing about 10 days per month. Okay, I need to google this a bit more, because something isn't quite right with what the OP has said.

Post edited by Felicity on
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Yea this is confusing, I'd like if a guru or someone could elaborate more...
    @Felicity those numbers are insane! I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I open the game once a day maybe 5 times a week and that seems like a lot (to me) hard to believe 1 player would have to open the game 40 times a month...