Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When a sim dies

Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
Remind me: when a sim dies, what happens to their inventory?

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It's gone. You lose it all.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Oh my. I guess I had better start giving the shop inventory to the heir to the business! I can also transfer ownership of the business to an adult child, right?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    You sure can. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Oh my. I guess I had better start giving the shop inventory to the heir to the business! I can also transfer ownership of the business to an adult child, right?

You can also pass along all your knowledge to the heir or anyone you choose. It's a business perk and comes in really handy so the next person can take over.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I was wondering about that. So I need to make sure I get that business perk and then it's an option when clicking to talk to someone?

My plan is for all my shop owners to pass on their businesses to one of their kids. At least the successful businesses. To be honest, the bakery isn't making very much. The ONLY reason it made money was because I chose the cash business perk 5 times. I'm curious if it will start losing money now...
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    I was wondering about that. So I need to make sure I get that business perk and then it's an option when clicking to talk to someone?

My plan is for all my shop owners to pass on their businesses to one of their kids. At least the successful businesses. To be honest, the bakery isn't making very much. The ONLY reason it made money was because I chose the cash business perk 5 times. I'm curious if it will start losing money now...

If you hire a manager you should return to the store every two or three days and make it make some money (working hard) and then you can let your manager manage it for three days at a time until it stops making money again. If you don't visit for a long time stores lose money. And if you should visit your stores as another Sim and your owner has not been there for awhile (you) they will all be goofing off. TS2 is very detailed and intricate that way. If your prices are too high Sims won't buy, they like very cheap until you get a five star rating and Best of the Best Sign from the Reviewer. Once you put that sign where Sims can view it, they are willing to pay a lot more.

The perk to buy stuff wholesale is what you should get, then remove everything in stores, and rebuy them at a cheaper price them set them for sale at a higher price. And Sims are picky in TS2, they want new stuff all the time, they stop buying the same old stuff and will stop buying and just hang out etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Since all of my businesses are home-based, it's a bit different I think. First, I'm a control freak so only one of my stores has an employee at all. I figured a gallery might merit one. I did remember about keeping your prices low until you got a higher rating. I was thinking it might be a 5. Thanks for confirming! One of my businesses has reached that and I was considering raising prices.

Since all of my businesses are home-based with home made items, I'm finding that I get no perks from the wholesale perk. I had ASSUMED that I would get cheaper clay when I made something or cheaper cost for making flower arrangements. But it seems that is not the case. So I have wasted one entire perk tree on one of my shops finding that out. :(

Today, I was looking at the various business perk selections and I didn't see one for knowledge. I'll look again on my next rotation.

So if I wanted to "give" the business to one of my adult kids, how do I do that? The only business options I see on the phone is to call in employees, hire employees or close the business.

I LOVE the detail of running a business. It's one of my favorite things to do in TS2.
    I hope this guide may help:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Business_perk
    That was very helpful, Cinebar. I have that wiki bookmarked but hadn't read through the OFB section. Thank you for the reminder!

I did find this on that page:

"The owner of a home business cannot transfer ownership to another Sim, even if that Sim is another household member. If the owner dies or moves out, ownership will automatically be transferred to an eligible household member, if there is one. If there isn't, the business will be dissolved."

This is not the case with a community business which CAN be transferred manually to someone. I'll be aware of this soon as many of my founders will be seniors in the coming rotations.

As for the perks, I'll have to save some perks for when my college students move home. It seems I can transfer PERKS but not the business. For ones who haven't chosen all the cash perks, this would be a good thing to do to help the family with cash flow.
    Considering the business is a home business and tied to the lot and not necessarily a Sim like in TS3 or TS4, does the business shut down if the Sim dies and can't be 'reopened' at home if a family member comes back to live in that house? Or do you have to start another one? I've not experienced this so I'm curious about this, let us know how it actually works if the Sim dies and the college kids come home if they have to restart one or if they can just continue where you left off.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Considering the business is a home business and tied to the lot and not necessarily a Sim like in TS3 or TS4, does the business shut down if the Sim dies and can't be 'reopened' at home if a family member comes back to live in that house? Or do you have to start another one? I've not experienced this so I'm curious about this, let us know how it actually works if the Sim dies and the college kids come home if they have to restart one or if they can just continue where you left off.

The home business will end. All of the progress will be lost.
    EgonVM wrote: »

The home business will end. All of the progress will be lost.

Thank you, I had been away from TS2 for about two years so I am starting to forget things by jumping around to the other games. Thank you so much I'm going to file this in there so I will remember if Sam dies in my game Maggie won't be able to return home and run his business, but have to start her own.
    Thank you, I had been away from TS2 for about two years so I am starting to forget things by jumping around to the other games. Thank you so much I'm going to file this in there so I will remember if Sam dies in my game Maggie won't be able to return home and run his business, but have to start her own.

Two years? Try 8. 10? Can't remember. And I'm almost old enough to draw Social Security so my memory is non-existent. Sure glad we have this amazing forum and folks who still play who can help us out with all this "new" stuff we're learning!

• KatastrophicSimKatastrophicSim Posts: 90 Member
    Hold on, what is an "adult child"?
  • milly001milly001 Posts: 394 Member
    @KatastrophicSim It is a child that your sim had that has now aged to an adult