Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Experiences on Mac computers/Laptops/etc

2...Next

Comments

• SophiaBlissSophiaBliss Posts: 51 Member
    I have the latest 15 inch Macbook Pro and the only problem I have is the very loud fan sound (I can't play very long because it gives me a giant headache!) but I have most of the packs - excluding vampires, spooky stuff and the free stuff. and a pretty large amount of custom content and atleast 15 mods and it seems to run smoothly aside from the fan sound. My mom however, has a 2013 Macbook Air I believe and she has all the same packs as I and some custom content + mods and hers works pretty smoothly also aside from the fan. (If anyone has any advice on how to fix that i'm all ears as it's very irritating.)
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited January 2018
    Right now I mainly play on a 2011 Mac Mini that's boot camped with Windows 7. I play on the Windows side. I keep my settings on medium and I don't have any problems. I don't have a heating problem with the computer or lag with the game. It also runs The Sims 3 pretty well.

Occasionally I'll play on my 2013 Macbook Air with low settings, but not very often and not for extended periods of time. I don't have any issues with that either, but I keep my play time to a minimum because I don't want to damage it.

They both run The Sims 3 and 4 better than my HP desktop, though. I know none of them are gaming computers, and in hindsight I wish I had taken the money I spent on my Macbook Air and bought a gaming desktop computer instead, but live and learn. Although they both are getting kind of old, they're still going strong so I guess I haven't done too much damage to them.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    @ClassicalSim, you know that Sims 4 is ported to run natively on the Mac whereas Sims 3 has difficulties doing so.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I have the latest 15 inch Macbook Pro and the only problem I have is the very loud fan sound (I can't play very long because it gives me a giant headache!) but I have most of the packs - excluding vampires, spooky stuff and the free stuff. and a pretty large amount of custom content and atleast 15 mods and it seems to run smoothly aside from the fan sound. My mom however, has a 2013 Macbook Air I believe and she has all the same packs as I and some custom content + mods and hers works pretty smoothly also aside from the fan. (If anyone has any advice on how to fix that i'm all ears as it's very irritating.)

Lower your game settings. That fan sound is your Mac desperately trying to cool itself down to avoid permanent damage to the hardware due to overheating.....

apple-signature.png
    @ClassicalSim, you know that Sims 4 is ported to run natively on the Mac whereas Sims 3 has difficulties doing so.

I do, but when I added Windows 7 to the Mac Mini I wanted to be able to play The Sims 2 and 3 on it as well as The Sims 4 so I allotted the vast majority of the disk space to the Windows side. And it was easier to keep all the games in the same place rather than having to switch back and forth between the operating systems.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Sims 2 is available for the Mac, but it isn't the full run. Considering I've only played Sims on the Mac, it doesn't bother me.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Sims 2 is available for the Mac, but it isn't the full run. Considering I've only played Sims on the Mac, it doesn't bother me.

I did later buy The Sims 2 Super Collection and occasionally play it on my Macbook, but like you said it doesn't have all the packs and it's missing some of the ones I rely on, like Apartment Life and FreeTime, so I rarely play it. It does look fabulous, though.
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    Does anyone here have a Pro and has played The Sims 2 on bootcamp? I own the Ultimate Collection but haven't been able to play it yet since it only runs on Windows.

@SophiaBliss did you install all the packs right away or did you play it with only the base game first? If the latter, was it also so loud then?

I'm thinking of getting a new computer since my school assumes everyone runs Windows so I've been thinking I can get the best of both worlds by getting the new Macbook Pro and bootcamp it.
    simlander wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a new computer since my school assumes everyone runs Windows so I've been thinking I can get the best of both worlds by getting the new Macbook Pro and bootcamp it.

Which MacBook Pro? There is a huge difference between the 13" and 15". The entry 15" has integrated Intel graphics which aren't great for gaming but the higher end 15" has a dedicated AMD GPU which is idea.

apple-signature.png
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    @BluebellFlora I've been looking at a 2017 MacBook Pro 15", 512 GB which has Intel HD 630 and Radeon Pro 560 4GB GDDR5. I don't know if that's the better one or not, I can only choose between 256 GB and 512 GB.

It does cost a whopping 4500$ in my country (it broke my heart a little to see that it's 2800$ on Apple's webstore, it's almost cheaper to go to the US and buy it there) which is why I'm unsure about this but a good Windows-based laptop with similar storage and a good graphics card isn't cheap either.
    simlander wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora I've been looking at a 2017 MacBook Pro 15", 512 GB which has Intel HD 630 and Radeon Pro 560 4GB GDDR5. I don't know if that's the better one or not, I can only choose between 256 GB and 512 GB.

It does cost a whopping 4500$ in my country (it broke my heart a little to see that it's 2800$ on Apple's webstore, it's almost cheaper to go to the US and buy it there) which is why I'm unsure about this but a good Windows-based laptop with similar storage and a good graphics card isn't cheap either.

I have that model Mac with the 3.1 GHz processor, 512Gb storage. It runs the game beautifully, really smooth on all high settings. Yes, it's a lot but you're future proofing yourself for years going for the top spec. I can still run the game on the highest settings on my 2012 15" MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb although it's now starting to lag a little but not a lot.

As for the cost yes, they are eye wateringly expensive but it's a Mac. They're built to last and still perform as well in 5 years time as they do now. They also keep their value well. If I sold my 2012 MBP I could easily get £500 second hand, probably more. And if you are a student or work in education then you will be eligible for Apple's education pricing, I was and saved £400 on the RRP :)
    apple-signature.png