Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save file being overwritten

Hi, I've been playing two families since cats & dogs came out. When I play family 1 and save it using save as, then I play family 2 using save as family name the save file for family 1 is no longer there and my game play for family 1 is lost. I save often so I also noticed that every time I do a save I only end up with one save file for that day. Do you know what could be causing this? I took out all my mods.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    Do you go to the load menu screen and click the picture of the new “ save as ‘ file to play? If you do, is the normal save game file picture still there before you load the extra save as game file?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hi, I've been playing two families since cats & dogs came out. When I play family 1 and save it using save as, then I play family 2 using save as family name the save file for family 1 is no longer there and my game play for family 1 is lost. I save often so I also noticed that every time I do a save I only end up with one save file for that day. Do you know what could be causing this? I took out all my mods.

Yes, it's bugged. It's not your mods. This is why I lost my saves and didn't want to return a save from months ago I had backed up on my desktop. It overwrites as you say, and yes, the wrong name etc. overwrites the save.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jessica925jessica925 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm having the same thing happen as I have different saves for different challenges/let's plays/etc. Usually what will work, but not always, is that I choose 'save as' then select the file I want to save over and then I retype the name. When it doesn't work, I start looking at the names of the files (vs the families depicted) and then if the name for the save doesn't match the family depicted I go in and recover any saves that seem to match when I remember last playing. Or I just randomly look and try to find saves in the recover option that match the date. I've mostly been able to find my 'lost' saves that way.
  • Options
    panthergirl2panthergirl2 Posts: 60 Member
    jessica925 wrote: »
    I'm having the same thing happen as I have different saves for different challenges/let's plays/etc. Usually what will work, but not always, is that I choose 'save as' then select the file I want to save over and then I retype the name. When it doesn't work, I start looking at the names of the files (vs the families depicted) and then if the name for the save doesn't match the family depicted I go in and recover any saves that seem to match when I remember last playing. Or I just randomly look and try to find saves in the recover option that match the date. I've mostly been able to find my 'lost' saves that way.

Thanks, yes I will be trying that. I took out all my mods and cc, then started gradually putting cc back in and sure enough it happened again. I hope they fix this soon. Do you guys have cc also, do you think it could be the cc? I'm gonna ask some youtubers.
  • Options
    Hello
    There seems to sometimes be an issue with using save as,
    To recover an earlier version of your save game, , go to the main screen of sims 4, and click on the " load game " button.Click on your save game file picture. Then click on the " recover game " button down the right hand side bottom of the screen,. Press on an earlier version of the save game from the menu that pops up. Then load that save game version.
    By doing this, a new save game file is created, and it may be the one with family 1.

• Options
    FYI, while I occasionally have MCCC in my game (as my only mod and no custom content), I didn't when this first started being an issue, which was right after they added the new loading menu and the ability to recover saves. Even when I try to 'save as' and create a new save file with a new name, it sometimes still copies over some existing files (this just happened to me the other day). I do have a lot of saves, so I'm not sure if that makes it more likely?, but now I've ended up with even more because of this issue because I quite often have to recover saves to find the ones that have been saved over (though I suppose that doesn't increase the number of saves since it was there already as a back up).
  • Options
    FYI, while I occasionally have MCCC in my game (as my only mod and no custom content), I didn't when this first started being an issue, which was right after they added the new loading menu and the ability to recover saves. Even when I try to 'save as' and create a new save file with a new name, it sometimes still copies over some existing files (this just happened to me the other day). I do have a lot of saves, so I'm not sure if that makes it more likely?, but now I've ended up with even more because of this issue because I quite often have to recover saves to find the ones that have been saved over (though I suppose that doesn't increase the number of saves since it was there already as a back up).

Hello
    It would be best not to use “save as” at the moment. Simmer have been finding using “ save as” has caused the files to sometimes be overwritten.
  • Options
    Thanks! I wish 'save' would always work, but unfortunately I also have problems with 'save' saving over a different file than the one I chose to play. I also play with different saves (for different challenges and for different let's plays) so not being able to use 'save as' can make that more difficult :). Hopefully EA are able to fix it soon, though I'm guessing it may not be an easy since it's been a problem for me since the new save structure was introduced; in the interim when it happens I'll continue to find my saves by checking dates and recovering files; that usually seems to work :).
  • Options
    Thanks! I wish 'save' would always work, but unfortunately I also have problems with 'save' saving over a different file than the one I chose to play. I also play with different saves (for different challenges and for different let's plays) so not being able to use 'save as' can make that more difficult :). Hopefully EA are able to fix it soon, though I'm guessing it may not be an easy since it's been a problem for me since the new save structure was introduced; in the interim when it happens I'll continue to find my saves by checking dates and recovering files; that usually seems to work :).

I am sorry that you are having the saving issues in your game :(