Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Friends of Foes: A simLit - Is Back! (Latest Update: 11/04/23)

Comments

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited January 2018
    Aww you think so? *looks bashful* <3 He was secretly my crush in high school, to my classmate's amusement. :D Okay... I wasn't serious. :D Okay... I may have admired him super heaps, which got my classmates wondering... :D And... to put it in context, this was in classics class, so I didn't used to babble about him randomly... *Puts foot in mouth to shut myself up*
    Post edited by simscognito on
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    awwwwwww that's adorable. you would have fit in so well to my history of theater class. there was six of us. xD we got the next year to have 30 kids sign up for the class. but because the school was trying to cut the class to get rid of the awesome teacher. they closed the class and disappointed an entire grade of kids. xD
    edited January 2018
    Oh that's awful. That poor teacher and The history of theatre is a fascinating subject. Do you have any favourites? Furthermore it's just you six in the class. That would be so awesome!
    I used to take theatre at school too, and was just as annoying with my investment into all the classics! (my family are classics nerds, that's why :D ) I know it's weird for a drama student, but ancient Greek theatre's still my favourite, although I do love learning about Roman theatre too, because that's where you'll find some of the Shakespearen references when it comes to comedy. XD Okay, I'll stop babbling.
    when we read Faust, I was fascinated. If you didn't catch that when someone showed up with the last name Faust to flirt with Antwan. xD That was because of theatre. The teacher was actually our theatre director and our school typically gets 14/15 of the gold stars or whatever they were called of theatre. We were always missing the state wide reward for best student orchestra, cause our band sucked and was made up of mainly adults instead of students. But our theatre program was fantastic. I was almost in one but didn't catch that the deadline for the permission slip was the next day. So instead I student directed. I loved every minute. We did "My one and only." I was more fascinated with the actual stage stuff than reading it. But I read a M.A.S.H theatre script book that was in the classroom and loved it. xD

To be honest most of the class is a blur. But it was a fantastic amount of fun. It was kind of several years ago.
    Shadami wrote: »
    when we read Faust, I was fascinated. If you didn't catch that when someone showed up with the last name Faust to flirt with Antwan. xD That was because of theatre. The teacher was actually our theatre director and our school typically gets 14/15 of the gold stars or whatever they were called of theatre. We were always missing the state wide reward for best student orchestra, cause our band plum and was made up of mainly adults instead of students. But our theatre program was fantastic. I was almost in one but didn't catch that the deadline for the permission slip was the next day. So instead I student directed. I loved every minute. We did "My one and only." I was more fascinated with the actual stage stuff than reading it. But I read a M.A.S.H theatre script book that was in the classroom and loved it. xD

To be honest most of the class is a blur. But it was a fantastic amount of fun. It was kind of several years ago.

Mine was a while back too. :D Ahh yeah, Ulrike Faust always cracks me up in game. I'm pretty sure her name is actually intend to reference Faust. She has that sort of german gothic look about her. XD It is fascinating that Faust may not have been supposed to be performed on stage and yet it is in script format.
    Yeah she's a great reference. i love her. xD
  • TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    Ah! So not cool. I feel like I missed out on such an awesome conversation. I'm an absolute nut for the classics. I adore Greek and Roman mythology and the epic poems. And I love both Marlowe's and Goethe's take on the Faust legend. I even did a random project over Marlowe's Faust in University for a contest in one of my English classes. I won.
    @Grimm_PANdemic Wow that's awesome!!!! Nah you are totally welcome to carry on the conversation. I can imagine you have lots of things to add regarding Faust in particular. Would love to know more about the project that won you the award. :)
    I was also interested in magic so I used a copy of a old grimoire to make a large wooden plaque or plate thing into a summoning circle. I also described bits of how the ritual would have gone. Needless to say some of my classmates were weirded out but my professor found it fascinating. The prize was a gift card to Starbucks. Turned the summoning circle into a clock.
    Oh wow that is an incredible project. I'm with your professor there. That's really creative and it also must have been quite an interesting journey. Did you learn a lot along the way?
    It's also kinda fun to weird out classmates - it's just too easy. :D
    I know this is a silly question, but... did you manage to summon anything???
    I don't know if I learned a whole lot except that classical magicians had to be rolling in cash. The big circle on the floor was supposed to be gold or silver if I remember correctly. Can't remember correctly now. Never did the ritual properly, so never summoned anything. Don't know that I'd want to find out if Mephistopheles is real. :# Haha.
    edited January 2018
    :D That is true. Ahh you never know, he might give you a 'reasonable' offer you can't resist. :D
    However, it does depend on which version of Mephistopheles we're talking about. The one in Faustus could be boring and let you off the hook. :D
    I'm glad it didn't work properly. xD But super cool that you did so much research on a project. I love going over board on projects that interest me to! If you enjoy it do it. That's what I think ^^
    I definitely agree! I love researching things. Sometimes to the point of never actually doing the thing I set out to do, but it's always fun learning new things.
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, learning new things is most definitely the best part of a project and because you've been interacting with the info you've been absorbing, it's likely to stick with you for much longer.
    I think research is the most important part of anything and helps a lot with creativity. It's great that you find it so enjoyable. I can imagine your writing's awesome because of it. :)
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    I definitely agree! I love researching things. Sometimes to the point of never actually doing the thing I set out to do, but it's always fun learning new things.

I do that sometimes too! Sometimes I'll get inspired to write/draw something based off of something else (a lot of the time for me that's mythology- it just fascinates me) but then I'll delve so deep into the research that I either burn myself out or just never get around to the actual project!
    Yeah, learning new things is most definitely the best part of a project and because you've been interacting with the info you've been absorbing, it's likely to stick with you for much longer.
    I think research is the most important part of anything and helps a lot with creativity. It's great that you find it so enjoyable. I can imagine your writing's awesome because of it. :)

I definitely agree. The larger pool of information you have to draw on the better works you can produce. I have no idea if my writing is awesome, but I think my writing has improved since I've made a conscious effort to learn more history and broaden what I read and study.
    I do that sometimes too! Sometimes I'll get inspired to write/draw something based off of something else (a lot of the time for me that's mythology- it just fascinates me) but then I'll delve so deep into the research that I either burn myself out or just never get around to the actual project!

Me too! I love taking a lot from mythology. I ran into that exact problem a while back when I was researching Dionysus for a story I was planning on writing and I ended up getting absorbed by researching his fennel and pinecone staff. I lost interest in my protagonist before even using the stuff I had come up with. >.<"
    edited January 2018

I definitely agree. The larger pool of information you have to draw on the better works you can produce. I have no idea if my writing is awesome, but I think my writing has improved since I've made a conscious effort to learn more history and broaden what I read and study.

Me too! I love taking a lot from mythology. I ran into that exact problem a while back when I was researching Dionysus for a story I was planning on writing and I ended up getting absorbed by researching his fennel and pinecone staff. I lost interest in my protagonist before even using the stuff I had come up with. >.<"

Ahh no, don't get me started on Dionysus, @Grimm_PANdemic ! He's another apparent *crush* I had. To be fair, I did go on about him rather a lot. :D In fact, he's likely to turn up in this story some way or another down the line...
    Aww don't give up on stories! That one sounded so cool. Often when you lose interest that's when it's time to take a break while your mind works over the info you've absorbed, but usually never to give up on it. There's a famous writer who was also an avid researcher. His name was Vladimir Nabokov; he actually got so frustrated with Lolita that he threw it away. His wife luckily saved it and it is still a huge success.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    in some senses I used Greek (and other) myths in the way i designed my 2 religions in my own story.
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    in some senses I used Greek (and other) myths in the way i designed my 2 religions in my own story.

Oh yes, you draw on a lot of works, @MadameLee , which is why your story's very engrossing. I love the mix of pop-culture references and classical references. It gives the story colour.
    I didn't give up on it. I just decided to scrap that incarnation and have recycled the ideas for other stuff. ^.^"
    I didn't give up on it. I just decided to scrap that incarnation and have recycled the ideas for other stuff. ^.^"

Oh that's good, because I really liked that idea. :blush:

Haha, thanks! I'll have to get around to sharing one of the incarnations of it sooner or later. Right now I'm actually working on a short story to share with you guys. Been working on it for the last few days at work. I just haven't gotten the chance to do any Sims screenshots for it. =^.^=

Oh and I thought I share this... It just occurred in my game:
    My vampire about to drink blood from the blood of the cutest random generated townie librarian!

Haha, thanks! I'll have to get around to sharing one of the incarnations of it sooner or later. Right now I'm actually working on a short story to share with you guys. Been working on it for the last few days at work. I just haven't gotten the chance to do any Sims screenshots for it. =^.^=

Oh and I thought I share this... It just occurred in my game:
    My vampire about to drink blood from the blood of the cutest random generated townie librarian!

@Grimm_PANdemic aww he's adorable. He looks so surprised too! XD Hopefully she doesn't drink too much of his blood. He's too cute to polish off. <3 Oh yay, you're writing a story! Can't wait to see it. :)
    Totally compelled for a deep drink. Poor guy. Maybe I'll marry him off to one of my other households. Bond over the story of being attacked by a vamp or something. >.> I dunno. Just seems like a waste to let him linger on as just a NPC.