Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Holiday Cabin | A Build & Create-A-Sim Contest | [CLOSED]

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    Lordy I don't know how you all managed so get so much within budget. I'm doubly impressed with the entries already up.

I finally restarted working on my cabin last night and it depreciated so slowly I just ended up pulling stuff out. Just need to finish off the pics (my least fav part) then hopefully wrap up this evening.

I was having a problem with depreciation as well. On some days it seemed as though it kept appreciating.

I finally found two items that cost way, way more than I thought and pulled them and viola, on budget!

Those two items? The baskets of fruits and veggies from the Al Fresco Street Market. I had no idea they were over 400 simoleons each!
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member
    Yep the pressure is on but mine is now complete, yay. A small and simple lot that I've been procrastinating on getting finished. Having been doing too much multi-tasking for too long lol.

Ari, at that point I had it running at least 3 sim days. Am thinking perhaps more but I confess I did it while doing other things so not exactly sure.

Thanks for the tips @ciane . I used a lot of walls so that likely is the main culprit. The coloums were too short for what I wanted to do. Anyway I did replace some more expensive chairs, got rid of all the camping stuff and most curtains and now it's up in my studio. Just need to add my entry now :smile:

@Kgaff , yep I found the price going up and down as well. I had put a ton of books in the bookshelves from my sims inventory. Removed and sold 1 and price went down. Sold most of the rest and the house price went up slightly, go figure. I should have left them in... ah well, something else learned. I was wondering if stuff in the fridge added to the cost but left well enough alone. Under budget so all good.
    edited February 2018
    ENTRY FORM

Name/Link to Your Page: Soocoolsim
    Lot name: Nature Valley Cabin
    Link to Your Lot: Download / Rec
    Final Price: $31,955
    Description: Delightful little getaway cabin perfect for year round enjoyment. 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. Sleeps 6. Includes fireplace, open concept living, dining and kitchen. Fully landscaped including a small veggie garden and pond where you can add a fish spawner if desired.
    Pictures (4 maximum in this thread): (see below)
    Slideshow/Separate Thread Link: Picture tour
    List of WANTS that you included in the home: (yes to all below)
    - Space to entertain a small group of close friends
    - Open plan kitchen/living area
    - Hardwood floors throughout the main areas
    - Small plants included as part of the decor
    - Reading loft or nook
    - At least 2 items that fit their personality:
    - Included a fireplace, seating areas for hanging out with friends incl rear porch with rocking chairs, TV / reading nook upstairs, pond for potential fishing, space to enjoy outdoor activities like catch, building snowmen, etc, small and simple kitchen and bathroom/toilet areas to easily keep clean. BBQ for additional outdoor cooking options and picnic table for friends to enjoy the results.

6KHeFho.jpg

[EDIT] I couldn't resist adding this picture... I never saw 3 rainbows at the same time in game before :smiley:
    NhEi0Me.jpg
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @soocoolsim That accent wall with the painting on it is *gorgeous*! I love your exterior with the roof decor and the trellis/column detailing. Very lovely! Gives me a Swiss vibe!
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    Woot! Another entry! I've got it rec'd and downloaded! It's getting hard to find small lots so I can place them all. :p Some are going on larger lots.

@soocoolsim, Love the architecture of the build and the soft colors you used! I have a love / hate relationship with those rockers in game! LOL I love rockers and so do the sims....just a bit too much.
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    @soocoolsim , your cabin looks great and looks so big! Can't wait to get it downloaded to check it out in game. Love those paintings you have on the wall, and it sleeps a lot of people for this budget. I've not thought to use those little roof decor pieces you have on your front exterior, gonna have to remember that trick. Got ya rec'd.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Ooh @soocoolsim what a striking front entry/roof. I just love it. I really like the fireplace wall, too, and love the wood ceilings. I like to use them but am not nearly as good at finding something that looks right. Have it rec'd and it's installing right now. Can't wait to get it in game, and I think I will put it on a bigger lot so it's back further from the road and my simmies can appreciate that front view for longer. ;)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • mamabear1mamabear1 Posts: 25 Member
    These are amazing. You are all very creative. Hope to see more amazing designs.
    Thank you very much for your kind comments everyone. Very great to have challenges like this to take us out of our comfort zone :smiley:
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited February 2018
    Sorry I haven't been around much, but I just wanted to stop by and say how great the new entries look! @soocoolsim I love that entryway, what pack is the roof decor from? It's perfect. <3
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    @aricarai -I made my sim, but I'm not going to have time to post her up today hon. I will post her still though as an unofficial entry so that you can see her sometime in the next couple of days. Sorry that I haven't had time to get on. Work has kept me busy. I hate to run off now so quickly, but I'm on my way back to work. Hopefully, I can get on and finish looking at and recing everyone's creations. Take care you all and I hope to be back on soon. **Hugs**
    YShQCz1.png
  • mamabear1mamabear1 Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2018
    This my first time to enter any contest. I did it for the fun of it. Thanks for doing these, they are a great way to play in the game in other ways besides just normal play.

Name/Link to Your Page:https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/aprilangel66
    Lot name: Cabin by the River
    Link to Your Lot: "Cabin by the River by aprilangel66 - The Exchange - Community - The Sims 3"/> https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9188998
    Final Price: $32,170
    Post edited by mamabear1 on
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited February 2018
    Download link for @mamabear1 's cabin by the river: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9188998

Glad to see you were able to upload your cabin :)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member
    edited February 2018
    Just popping by to say hi and that all new awesome cabins have my admiration and recommendation! :)

Edited to add that all the gorgeous looking sims have been rec'd too of course!!
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @aricarai -I made my sim, but I'm not going to have time to post her up today hon. I will post her still though as an unofficial entry so that you can see her sometime in the next couple of days. Sorry that I haven't had time to get on. Work has kept me busy. I hate to run off now so quickly, but I'm on my way back to work. Hopefully, I can get on and finish looking at and recing everyone's creations. Take care you all and I hope to be back on soon. **Hugs**

Hey m'dear @blacksheba1973, you've let me know you have an entry so if you want to enter, I will accept it as judging is going to take me a little bit of time. Lovely to see you stopping by darlin' :mrgreen:
    Thank you guys for the new entries! I will get the front page updated today! :mrgreen:
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hey y'all! So even though we've had months to build, I sadly won't be able to enter my cabin. I'm probably on my 74th cabin right now (no joke!) and I'm hopeless at building within a budget! Lord help me when I get around to purchasing a real life home! :D Even with depreciation, it still won't go down far enough. :( Anyway, I will go through and finish liking/rec'ing everyone's builds and sims.

Don't worry, I'll still upload my cabin but it just won't be up in time to take part of this contest.

I love seeing the creativity and all the support in this community! Love y'all! <3
    mamabear1 wrote: »
    This my first time to enter any contest. I did it for the fun of it. Thanks for doing these, they are a great way to play in the game in other ways besides just normal play.

Name/Link to Your Page:https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/aprilangel66
    Lot name: Cabin by the River
    Link to Your Lot: "Cabin by the River by aprilangel66 - The Exchange - Community - The Sims 3"/> https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9188998
    Final Price: $32,170

Hey @mamabear1 - thank you for your entry! Could you please fill out the entry form for me?

Name/Link to Your Page:
    Lot name:
    Link to Your Lot:
    Final Price:
    Description:
    Pictures (4 maximum in this thread):
    Slideshow/Separate Thread Link:
    List of WANTS that you included in the home:
    Kesminlix wrote: »
    Hey y'all! So even though we've had months to build, I sadly won't be able to enter my cabin. I'm probably on my 74th cabin right now (no joke!) and I'm hopeless at building within a budget! Lord help me when I get around to purchasing a real life home! :D Even with depreciation, it still won't go down far enough. :( Anyway, I will go through and finish liking/rec'ing everyone's builds and sims.

Don't worry, I'll still upload my cabin but it just won't be up in time to take part of this contest.

I love seeing the creativity and all the support in this community! Love y'all! <3

I can't wait to see it @Kesminlix - budgets are a bugger! I totally feel you on that <3
  • JovialJoyJovialJoy Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2018
    Name/Link to Your Page: JovialJoy
    Sim's Name: Beatrice Snicket
    Link to Sim (Can be uploaded as a household): Sim's Traits: Bookworm, Family Oriented, Loves the Outdoors, Natural Cook, Neat
    Biography/Backstory:

Brought into this world under unfortunate circumstances, Beatrice was born--her father and mother no more. She was left in the care of three guardians: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire ... two of them still in their formative years, the youngest of them not yet there. They invented, they gardened, they read, and they cooked, and they raised her quite well.

On break from school, she'd visit her grandmother Snicket at the cabin in the woods--where she was taught how to make all kinds of baked goods. Already instilled with a great love of books, the memories they made inspired her to learn all the recipes she could and become a great cook.

Now as a young adult, Beatrice was given a lump sum and she wants to buy a cabin of her own where she can invite her guardians and chums: a place where she too can invent, garden, read, and cook.

Pictures (4 maximum in this thread):

Beatrice:
    S1slO9C.jpg

Beatrice's Wardrobe:
    OH6XPRI.jpg

Beatrice's Memories:
    Learning to cook with Grandmother Snicket. Gardening with Violet.
    Getting help with her homework from Klaus. And canning with Sunny.
    TCaLDAO.jpg

Additional Information:

In the process of trying to name my cabin, I found myself inspired by Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. And I decided that my Sim's story would pick up where the books left off. I used the information on this wiki to develop my characters.

In my story, the three Baudelaire orphans moved to Hidden Springs where, under a cloak of anonymity, they could raise Kit Snicket's daughter Beatrice. Together, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny (all of whom are unlucky ;) ) raised the girl. Beatrice's grandmother, Rachel Snicket, relocated to Hidden Springs in order to play a background role in her life. I'd like to separately upload them as a household, with Beatrice included, in case anyone is interested in playing their family story.

As for my cabin? I got so busy developing the characters that I wasn't able to finish it. However, I called it The Cabin at Anwhistle Cove. It's named in honor of Aunt Josephine. And similar to her house, which was built onto the side of a cliff overlooking Lake Lachrymose, my cabin is built on stilts at a water inlet. I might upload once I'm finished.

More about Beatrice: she is an Aquarius. She loves fruit parfaits, Indie music, and the color green. Her lifetime wish is to become a culinary librarian, and she has around 119k Lifetime Rewards points. Her skills are as follows:

Athletic: 4
    Charisma: 5
    Cooking: 7
    Fishing: 3
    Gardening: 5
    Guitar: 3
    Science: 4
    Handiness: 3
    Logic: 4
    Painting: 6
    Social Networking: 1
    Writing: 5

Edit: My clock said it was [barely] the right time, but I'm not sure if my submission will be valid since the post is not the right time and since my Sim hasn't uploaded to the site yet. Just reserving my place in the event that it's accepted...

Edit 2: Beatrice was finally uploaded! This was only my second time sharing a Sim (with more than a year in between the two, the previous of which I deleted) and I didn't realize I had to open the launcher and upload her to the site from there. I thought as soon as I "shared" she would be available. Sorry about that.

Edit 3: When I uploaded Beatrice, I noticed the Exchange incorrectly listed the Store Content that was used. I downloaded her and verified that three of the six items they listed were not included. So I uploaded Beatrice again with a note in the description of what Store Content was actually used (and I also edited her bio and household details); I didn't want people to think they had to buy the extra Store Content for her to show up in their game properly.
    Post edited by JovialJoy on
    My Top Five | My Wishlist

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    DAILY DEAL (DD) ROTATION AND SALES HELP
    CASCADES & DAILY DEALS- GETTING THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR SP
    FREE ITEMS FROM "THE SIMS 3 STORE"
    We're all CLOSED now, folks! I hope you all had a lot of fun and I can't wait to full get into it and check out all of these cabins and homes in game! You'll have to bear with me as I'll be judging on my lonesome, but I'm SUPER STOKED! Thank you everyone for your entries and for participating! <3
    @JovialJoy - you did come in just after the deadline, but when it does upload to the Exchange (it can be pain), go ahead and put up your links! :mrgreen:
  • JovialJoyJovialJoy Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2018
    Thank you, @aricarai! <3

This was only my second time sharing a Sim, with more than a year between the two, and apparently I hadn't completed the process. (I deleted my only other one because it was an embarrassing attempt at a self Sim!) I didn't understand I needed to go back to the Launcher and upload my submission from there. Instead, I thought she was put on the site as soon as I hit share! I didn't figure it out until about twenty minutes of reloading my Studio and, finally, a Google Search: "What happens to my Sim after I hit share?" :lol:

*Edit: What's sad is that the game specifically told me what to do! However, I just exited the dialogue box as soon as it popped up. Face/palm.

After all of these years, I'm still such a newbie. :flushed:
    Post edited by JovialJoy on
    My Top Five | My Wishlist

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    DAILY DEAL (DD) ROTATION AND SALES HELP
    CASCADES & DAILY DEALS- GETTING THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR SP
    FREE ITEMS FROM "THE SIMS 3 STORE"
    @JovialJoy - Thank you for your entry m'dear! Would love to see your cabin here on the thread when you've got it all finished!