Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Studio vs Daz

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hi,

2 different products, 2 different companies, 2 differents points of view.

Daz studio is a software and The Sims is a video game, they aren't comparable but when I look at the content, they are similar because both are selling DLC since 2000.

About the clothing and the furnishing, Maxis made the choice of start from scratch for each games when Daz chose to make compatible the old content with the new generations.

For example, the clothing :

- Maxis makes 4 times a T-shirt, a version for each games (TS1, TS2, TS3 and TS4)
- Daz makes once a T-shirt, it's compatible with all the next generations of 3D figure (Gen. 3, Gen. 4, Genesis 1, 2, 3 & 8)

Because Daz made the "Auto-fit" tool which assigns the correct bones and adjusts the shape.
Thanks to the Shaders (similar to The Sims 3 CASt system), it's easy to replace the old textures by something better.

While The Sims Studio recycle the same old content every 5 years and make a few of new content, Daz still propose the old content and is able to provide a lot of very new content.

I'm impressed by the huge gap between The Sims Studio and Daz when I look at the male clothing (or the female clothing).

I don't think Maxis is less creative, just they lose a lot of time and resources to bring back the old content.
Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

Comments

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I have no idea what Daz is.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I have always said that it would be great if you could transfer stuff from one Sims game to the next.

I mean if you had a family with pets in TS1, why not keep bringing them forward over the years so you will always have that family with pets only better graphics each time?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    HelkkuliHelkkuli Posts: 92 Member
    It would be usefull but I would like to hear a comment from someone who understands game making better than I do. Is there a reason why ea/maxis isn't already doing this? Ofcourse trends come and go and some chlothes in Sims 2 just look awful to me now days but then some objects have stayed almost the same. With clothes and sims I can see that there are huge differencies between games but Sims 3 and 4 furnitures have always looked kind of same to me. That might be just becouse I don't pay that much attention to furnitures and decorating. Could they make the game engine so that they can import meshes (is that the right word?) from previous games?
    14453827.jpg

CHECK OUT MY CELEBRITY LOOK A LIKE SIMS AND DOG BREEDS FROM MY INSTAGRAM @anomitesplayssims

My origin id is anomites
  • Options
    DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Me neither. Anyway... As far as I know it wouldn't be possible. The sims 4 use a different engine and that's one of the reasons it runs smoother than previous games. Besides, Maxis doesn't create engines, they only create games. EA would have to hire a different kind of people in order to create their own engine and I think that would be very expensive. But I don't know anything about this issue, I'm just making a guess.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Daz studio is a 3D software which allows you to render a scene.

q29e1tjowbpk.jpeg
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    it is possible cc makers do it all the time
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Making a static image of a 3D render is not comparable to the design/animation of any Sims game.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Making a static image of a 3D render is not comparable to the design/animation of any Sims game.

I mean if TS2 CAS content get the TS4 bones, Maxis could be focused on new content instead of starting from scratch.

Is it normal a player who spent $1500 in TS3 Store content can't use it 3 years later in The Sims 4 ?
    To pay several times for the same content forever isn't fun.

I see no interest to beg Maxis for several things and get at the end 1 thing in TS2, another thing in TS3 and another one in TS4.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The engine decides what works with wich. Some years ago I made games and contend using the Aurora engine. Said games and content work only on the Aurora engine, not the Infinity or any other, and vice versa. Same deal here.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Another thing, when Maxis creates several meshes for each life stage and gender option (Feminine female, masculine female, feminine male and masculine male), Daz's Autofit tool adjusts the clothing to every figures once for all.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    I like the idea of carrying items forward with such ease. The problem is it’s not going to happen if they’re going to change the foundation of the software every time they make a new iteration and want to charge us for it ad nauseum. One can already extract a mesh from one game and modify it to work in another. So it’s not entirely impossible. EA would most-likely never do that though. Best they could offer is a tool for customers to do it themselves.

History suggests it’s not likely to happen. Not to mention they would have to offer a foundation that would be the end-all-be-all to all simmers as we know it. Only then would it be worth the expense and gain of carrying everything forward. I’d like to see that day. DAZ has made and continues to make money not only from their own creations, but by offering a storefront in which users of the software can participate in as well.

Definitely some food for thought there. EA could probably benefit from such a system. Not to mention DAZ is not online. It goes to prove that a game like the sims wouldn’t need to be online. It would only need a strong community willing to participate for generations.

If they ever considered such a thing, I certainly hope it won’t be with the present foundation. They would need to eliminate the restrictive foundation and gameplay and make it more of a creative and free-thinking tool.

Allowing true injection of mods into a store model would also be quite a lucrative venture. Not only would it bring in profit, but it would allow a player to basically build their own game by picking and choosing which modules and behaviours theyd like to have in their game without feeling forced to ‘patch’ all or none.

I like this idea. Build the foundation. Create the tools. And let the player build the game of their dreams from said tools.
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    GoreshGoresh Posts: 1 New Member
    > @LeGardePourpre said:
    > Is it normal a player who spent $1500 in TS3 Store content can't use it 3 years later in The Sims 4 ?
    > To pay several times for the same content forever isn't fun.

Yes it's normal, that is how they make money.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I know this thread was Necro'd and I should leave it be, but ... I've been working with Daz Studio since 2006. There are bunches of things I've bought for Daz that I cannot use any more, because I'm dissatisfied with Autofit. I don't think anything goes back before Millennium 4 at this point, at least not without 3rd party intervention, and that doesn't even get in to how there's a UV mapping break between Genesis 2 and Genesis 3, and then another one between Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 (which I don't think existed when this thread was first posted.)

And I've bought the same content over and over for Genesis figures. The base figures are free, but the Signature Character expansions, the body and face morphs - those I have to re-purchase each time. And the Morphing Fantasy Dress, because autofit never does it justice.

Don't get me wrong, I love Autofit and would love future generations of Sims games to incorporate something like that. But at the same time, it's not a perfect solution, and as was mentioned, what works for static images doesn't necessarily work for a game.
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Closing thread. Please open a new one if you'd like to start a discussion on this. We have necroposting rules in place for reasons covered in this FAQ: Let's talk about ... Necroposting! 🧟
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top