Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone like the Sim household limit? I'm on the fence.

You can only have 200(recommended) in your MY HOUSEHOLD tab. I didn't realize that I had made so many people that I had to take out of my favorites. Either they had too many in the household or I just went crazy creating sims! I don't want any of my sims culled, so I don't know what to do. I have created a bond with almost all of them.... Has anyone tried the unlimited sims yet? I'm too afraid to try that for fear of crashing.

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    There's a bug at the moment with the number of households displayed. It counts the ghosts while it shouldn't. So you may be fine with the Unlimited option, depending on the number of households you really have and your computer specs. I'm using it at the moment and it seems fine so far.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    This warning for unlimited settings only applies for players who create many households. If you have about 1,000 sims in My Households, then the game may crash often and loading will take ages. If you have unlimited settings but have about 120 sims, it won't be a big problem.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I guess the unlimited option depends on how good your hardware is. I'd say mine's decent, but I opted for 200 since I only care about a small number of sims in each save.

With that said, 200 is still a pretty low number. I'm wondering if it can go up to 500 in the future. Not exactly unlimited, but it gives you much more room.

I feel like some modder will eventually find a way to make custom limits in the future.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    They gave us the ability to have higher populations....nothing was decreased in terms of limits. Previously, there was a cap and, when you hit that cap, then unplayed households were subject to culling. Now, you can mark unplayed households as "protected" to keep them from being culled....and you can exceed the cap with your protected households if you choose the unlimited option.
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

I feel like some modder will eventually find a way to make custom limits in the future.

Already been around for a long time. MCCC allows you to alter the population culling rules and eliminate culling altogether.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »
    They gave us the ability to have higher populations....nothing was decreased in terms of limits. Previously, there was a cap and, when you hit that cap, then unplayed households were subject to culling. Now, you can mark unplayed households as "protected" to keep them from being culled....and you can exceed the cap with your protected households if you choose the unlimited option.
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Already been around for a long time. MCCC allows you to alter the population culling rules and eliminate culling altogether.

There is still culling and an overall population limit (575 at the moment). What has changed is how households are preserved from culling. Previously, housed Sims and played Sims were protected; now it's totally up to us who is protected. Details are here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/905991/culling-relationship-culling-decay-current-status/p1

If you do take advantage of "unlimited" to protect over 575 Sims, culling will kick in vigorously on all the Sims the game creates after that point. Still, it gives a way for people who don't want to mod to try that.

One thing we haven't seen for Sims 4 is custom population caps: it's been either use EA's limit or have no limit at all. I'm not sure if that cap number is actually available to modify rather than just to avoid completely.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • shadesoftracyshadesoftracy Posts: 3 New Member
    I been playing since 2014 and have always had alot of sims and households .. I had not had any trouble until this latest pack ..
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    At the moment I don't like it because the count is off due to a bug but once they fix it I'll be fine with it and prefer to be able to say how many townies generate in my game without a mod so it's a feature I'll enjoy once the bug is fixed.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free