Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PSA: Fixing broken interactions after pets patch

If you've made interactions near enough the pets patch, you might have seen something about species in the sim_info for an interaction. That code didn't really do anything before, but I guess with the official addition of pets happening, they tweaked it slightly.

It was the following before:
        <V t="specified" n="species">
          <L n="specified">
            <E />
          </L>
        </V>

Now it's:
        <V t="specified" n="species">
          <U n="specified">
            <L n="species">
              <E />
            </L>
          </U>
        </V>

Seemingly tiny, but enough to break an interaction.

I'll see you in a month when I finish fixing hundreds of interactions by editing this line. :cold_sweat:

Also, it looks like content_score doesn't just apply to social_mixers now and can apply to super interactions with some new bits. So it looks like a lot of supers have this line now, to disable it (it's enabled by default now):
<V t="disabled" n="content_score" />

Not sure what kind of damage it can do if left enabled, if any. If it's on an interaction that's already set to not be autonomous, I think it'll just be ignored. But safest bet probably to disable while fixing the species code, unless your interaction is supposed to be autonomous, in which case, you might get something out of playing with the content_score settings.
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Comments

• TURBODRIVERTURBODRIVER Posts: 68 Member
    Good job informing modders about it!

I myself just removed any species tests, since by default they aren't actually used in any interactions. So having them empty like that doesn't really do anything.
    There are no pets interactions available yet to tell how they recognize them, but I would assume they are just specific species tests and nothing for humans.
  • TURBODRIVERTURBODRIVER Posts: 68 Member
    I thought more about what I said and done, and I think I'm most likely wrong on this and removing species tests will allow human interactions for pets which is not a good thing. Where there is no way (in my case) for them to perform them by autonomy, it's still a back practice and I should add species tests to all interactions.
    Thank you for helping me become aware of this.
  • DarkWalkerDarkWalker Posts: 64 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    I'll see you in a month when I finish fixing hundreds of interactions by editing this line. :cold_sweat:

If you use Notepad++, do a regular expression find for:
    (\s*)<V t="specified" n="species">(\s*)<L n="specified">(\s*)<E />\s*</L>\s*</V>

And replace it by:
    \1<V t="specified" n="species">\2<U n="specified">\3<L n="species">\3  <E />\3</L>\2</U>\1</V>

You can use it to search across all your tuning files at once (Find in Files tab). I would back up all tuning files before running a find and replace across all of them, though.
  • shezoeshezoe Posts: 67 Member
    > @Triplis said:
    > If you've made interactions near enough the pets patch, you might have seen something about species in the sim_info for an interaction. That code didn't really do anything before, but I guess with the official addition of pets happening, they tweaked it slightly.
    >
    > It was the following before:
    >
    >
    >
    > Now it's:
    > <u> </u>
    >
    >
    > Seemingly tiny, but enough to break an interaction.
    >
    > I'll see you in a month when I finish fixing hundreds of interactions by editing this line. :cold_sweat:
    >
    >
    > Also, it looks like content_score doesn't just apply to social_mixers now and can apply to super interactions with some new bits. So it looks like a lot of supers have this line now, to disable it (it's enabled by default now):
    >
    >
    >
    > Not sure what kind of damage it can do if left enabled, if any. If it's on an interaction that's already set to not be autonomous, I think it'll just be ignored. But safest bet probably to disable while fixing the species code, unless your interaction is supposed to be autonomous, in which case, you might get something out of playing with the content_score settings.

oh no. such small things can cause such nerve wracking stuff everywhere i guess. so my sorcerers are going to be powerless for a while it looks like ;) i'm sorry though that you all have to go through such headaches to bring things back online for everyone
    Ky1BXMP.jpg
  • rmnwdsrmnwds Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Triplis said:
    > If you've made interactions near enough the pets patch, you might have seen something about species in the sim_info for an interaction. That code didn't really do anything before, but I guess with the official addition of pets happening, they tweaked it slightly.
    >
    > It was the following before:
    >
    >
    >
    > Now it's:
    > <u> </u>
    >
    >
    > Seemingly tiny, but enough to break an interaction.
    >
    > I'll see you in a month when I finish fixing hundreds of interactions by editing this line. :cold_sweat:
    >
    >
    > Also, it looks like content_score doesn't just apply to social_mixers now and can apply to super interactions with some new bits. So it looks like a lot of supers have this line now, to disable it (it's enabled by default now):
    >
    >
    >
    > Not sure what kind of damage it can do if left enabled, if any. If it's on an interaction that's already set to not be autonomous, I think it'll just be ignored. But safest bet probably to disable while fixing the species code, unless your interaction is supposed to be autonomous, in which case, you might get something out of playing with the content_score settings.

Many Many thanks for this. Ive been wracking my brain trying to figure out why my interactions broke!
  • BroskiPlaysBroskiPlays Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for this! Especially handy for old mods :)