Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dynamic Skill System. Yes or No?

BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Right now when we gain a skill point it's there forever, even if you never play or touch an instrument ever again.
This is not really representative of real life, and makes end game kind of boring when there's nothing left to aspire to.

Instead, what if skill points were more dynamic, meaning that they would decrease if the related interaction was not played for an extended period of time. This would make more specialized sims, and Jack of All Trades wouldn't be such a common trait in the sim worlds.

Dynamic Skill System. Yes or No? 66 votes

Yes! I would love a dynamic skill system.
40%
Bagoas77g01denswanNinoosimtaydevgeoffreypathe_greenplumbobCynel1jimjam1009kochamkluskisamsimsNikNakBlueOvaleBreazonaStrawberryYogurtKelebekAHolyToiletMorticiaBlack7GodleyjeansaiexFurkean 27 votes
No! The game is fine the way it is.
59%
icmnfrshredrogue60Writin_RegSerraNolwenMagdaleenafriendlysimmersHelkkulirosehrtgirlFinvolaSimsLovinLycanBambooramEnkiSchmidtSayoLoireSteve StormEgonVMBriana2425GlindePopsamemieAuronoiChieftainMinecraftdSimmer 39 votes

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I'd be okay with such system if the game tracked the passage of time for each household individually (Sims 2 style). But the way it is set up now I'd play one household, then six others and if I returned to my original household their skills would have degraded for no fault of my own.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited November 2017
    no, that would honestly annoy me
    I don't think realism is a good reason for every decision
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I read that The Sims Online originally had that, and it honestly sounded annoying. It's a good idea in theory and it's more realistic, but I'm fine with how things are.

Also, ever since The Sims 3 and 4 introduced boatloads of skills (and with new ones each EP) that don't increase as quickly, I rarely have sims who are truly jacks-of-all-trades. Unless I turn aging off, all my sims specialize in a few skills while mostly ignoring others. And that's fine by me.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    No thanks, it honestly sounds annoying. Relationships already decay, why should skills too? Maintaining this stuff seems hard enough, and knowing Sims I just know there would be a bug that would have the skills decay even faster than they should.

Maybe there should be another less terrible system in place to emulate rustiness at a skill.
    Maybe, if you try to pick a skill back up after so-and-so many sim days, your sim is temporarily reset to one or two levels underneath their true level functionally, but they would quickly get the hang of it again. Say, a painter at level 5 went back to painting after a few sim weeks, the first painting they do might look terrible but the next one may actually look more like what their skill level would produce.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    Nah. It's a g idea, but it would be a bummer to master a skill and then since you've mastered it, you don't pay attention to it and suddenly you're no longer a master at it anymore..
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    No thanks, it honestly sounds annoying. Relationships already decay, why should skills too? Maintaining this stuff seems hard enough, and knowing Sims I just know there would be a bug that would have the skills decay even faster than they should.

Maybe there should be another less terrible system in place to emulate rustiness at a skill.
    Maybe, if you try to pick a skill back up after so-and-so many sim days, your sim is temporarily reset to one or two levels underneath their true level functionally, but they would quickly get the hang of it again. Say, a painter at level 5 went back to painting after a few sim weeks, the first painting they do might look terrible but the next one may actually look more like what their skill level would produce.

I like that idea! Especially for those people who want to collect every craftable painting more easily without using skill level reset cheats or downloading a room of them from the gallery.

I agree that, with the way the game currently is, a dynamic decay system for skills would be more disastrous than delightful, especially for people who play rotationally.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    no I think the game is fine the way it is
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited November 2017
    eh nvm - keep posting your thoughts!
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think its a brilliant idea and i would be ok with it so long as there was an option in the games settings to switch it off or have it only effect the active household. As it stands im ok with skills the way they are in 4. Maybe we could see something like this in 5.
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I like this idea personally, yes it would be annoying for some time but sims 4 is so easy in terms of gaming I’d like a new challenge to keep me on my toes. My sims are always max skilled in this or that and it would be quite fun seeing an elder sim of mine who used to be a trained singer or musician faulter after years of not preforming. Similar to those old tales of famed people you never knew and may have met but wouldn’t know because they never showed any skill or love for that piece.

Imagine going to your grandpa, grandma, uncle or mother and asking them about this famed person and being told it’s them as a young adult, in their prime before life took over.
    You probably wouldn’t believe them, imagine that as a sim with story progression back. Detailed stories of retired actors and such, that is where this function would thrive and yes I agree on having it optional. But for a challenge or a sad story, I love it.

The game does need mixing up. I remember sims 2 were everything was a challenge and I was lucky to not die within the first two hours. When sims 3 came along it was easier but not that much, sims 4 and within an afternoon I can have skills spilling from my eyeballs without even trying. It’s too easy and this function would change things up. It wouldn’t complete the game but it’d help it in the direction it should be going.

But that’s just me.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    So if I max out a sims skills then change households, if I switch back I should be ok with those max skills now being level 7 or below just because I haven’t played that family in a while?

I vote no.
  • D20D20 Posts: 47 Member
    Decrease? No. Losing something you earned almost always feels awful (regardless of context).

However, I also think the skill system could be improved. For example, I think the skills could interact with one another in more interesting ways (or simply have more uses). Perhaps there could be some type of specialization bonus you could choose a max level, too?
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yes, but only to a certain point. A sim shouldn't completely forget a skill. Decay rate should also depend on your aging settings.
    Post edited by NikNak on
  • lonestarranger01lonestarranger01 Posts: 60 Member
    Honestly I'm fine with the skilling system as it is right now. One of my biggest problems with the Sims 3was how long skilling took to the point where most of the time was spent trying to get skill points up to keep up with the promotions track. Its definitely faster in the sims 4 but not ridiculously fast to the point where I've had a sim who has been able to max out all skills while holding down a job, parenting their kids, etc, at least on the normal life span for me. Make it to dynamic and then most of the time will be spent on trying to keep skill levels up as opposed to socialization with other sims in my opinion.
    “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” –The Goblet of Fire
  • HelkkuliHelkkuli Posts: 92 Member
    I'm a goal oriented player and once I achieve something I don't wan't to loose it. It feels unfair to me. I usually play aging of and only one sim and maxing skills if one of my favourite type of goal in the game. I would be fine if there would be an option to turn it of from the settings tough.
    14453827.jpg

CHECK OUT MY CELEBRITY LOOK A LIKE SIMS AND DOG BREEDS FROM MY INSTAGRAM @anomitesplayssims

My origin id is anomites
  • GlindePopGlindePop Posts: 134 Member
    No way. I hate losing progress in this manner in my game.

Ofcourse a dynamic skill system is realistic. And I enjoy realism in my game. But this is one of the situations where realism would be more of an annoyance than enjoyment for me.
  • AstreonAstreon Posts: 1,291 Member
    I'll admit I've actually been really annoyed at the whole Jack-of-all-trades thing. I like all my sims to be different, but now they're all getting level 10 cooking, charisma, comedy, etc when I don't play them and becoming masters of things they shouldn't be. I was annoyed enough that I regularly use the skills cheat to reduce their skills to what I want them to be. But honestly I don't think this is the kind of solution I want for that. I have a ton of households and don't want to come back to each one having all their skills at drastically lower levels. If it doesn't work for any households except the active one, then I'd be more willing, but I still say no as it'd be way too hard to maintain everything, esp in a huge household.